Options

Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Not in a bad way, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt their easy run was hard Bus. Can we please blame it on the taper and nothing else?!

As for shelter Dachs, with your target I reckon you'll be out there on your own at the front! Bin bag?

Nothing wrong with a sweatband. I'd rather wear one and stop the sweat from running down my face and into my eyes, works for me. I was born in the 80s so does that make it more acceptable?!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I'm another sweatband wearer. I lived through the 80's.

They may not be the best look but I prefer looking like an idiot rather than having sweat sting my eyes for 26 miles
  • Options

the boat. Maybe we can get in that little group I was on about. Are you running with your club mate??

• Options

Btw I was 2:48:12 at abo 2012 and 2:46:57 for vlm 2013 so it seems we are a very similar standard!

• Options

The List Police have been warned

Dachs Green vest and union jack shoes   02:39
    Martin Green15 all black Adidas with Martin on vest   02:42
    Mr Boat Bournemouth AC: yellow with blue vertical stripe 2:45 
    Keir     02:48
    Postie Postie dark blue vest with a red metre mark
    The Bus Fluoro orange and green Adios. B&W vest    02:54
    Millsy1977 black Adidas Marathon Talk t shirt, black Adidas shorts  527 02:58
    Leebe Black Nike top and shorts 722 02:59
    Jamie Farmer black/green Leighton Buzzard Triathlon vest  75 02:59
    Zirion Blue and Red Barnet top 523 03:05
    Ballasteros Stubbington Green Vest   03:09 
    Simon W     03:10 
    Blisters Pirates top White headband 400. 03:15 
    Dr Dan Hyde Park Harriers: red vest, white text, white vertical stripe.   03:25
    Rosie RR     03:35 
    T-Rex     03:40 
    Paulie B     03:45 
    Hissy fit     03:50 
    Ex Chimney   Green Totley vest with white diagonal stripe, black shorts742...04:00 (ish)
    Cake Sheffield Balti T-shirt and pirate cap   
    Caf Cherry and white "Beckenham Running Club" vest

grrrrr

I know that Postie did declare his hand but I can't remember just how fast that was. 
    Interesting to see that Dachs is in with a good shout of a podium finish. His predicted time would have got 4th last year. I'm hoping for top 200.

• Options

Jamie: Being born in the 80s does not make it acceptable. Generally being born in the 80s makes EVERYTHING about you unacceptable. image

As for avoiding sweat in the eyes, surely you just need to run faster?

Seriously though - I'll not be wearing glasses, specifically so that when the sweat goes in my eyes it won't be so bad.

I felt sluggish in this morning's run too, so I'm pleased to hear that's normal. Fingers crossed that will change for Sunday...   

Haven't gone quite so heavy on the carbs today though because my stomach wasn't happy with it.  Only 9 Weetabix for breakfast this morning...

• Options
    DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Blisters - if I remember from the sub-3 thread, postie is after about 2:45 I think?

Crikey, the last thing I need to be thinking about right now is the pressure of the possibility of a podium.  My prediction is that there'll be a few more ahead this year.

• Options

I didn't know that sweatbands had gone out of fashion. Mine's from the '60s not the '80s.

• Options

x-post, yes, something like that, but I didn't want to over-promote him. I don't know how this last 2 weeks have gone.

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

MG15: I may be wrong but my club mate may go off a bit quicker looking at some of his MP training efforts and he did a lot of them. I followed P&D and didn't do that much @ MP. Would be glad to run in a group but will be concious of going too quickly. Always remember my first 2:45 attempt at VLM in 2011 when I joined the pace group on the red start; there was a cock-up at the start where they started red about 20 seconds or so after the blue start which meant the pacer (Marders) was pushing the pace early on (6.05m/m at times); by 13 miles I was off the pace. Nice run at VLM13 btw; just up the road from me.

• Options

Mr boat looking at the resuits from 2011 you're not related to Steve from those parts by any chance are you?

• Options
    Jamie Farmer wrote (see)

P.s. Are there no cheerleaders at Abingdon then?!

The turkeys and me minus pom poms and ra ra skirt !

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Minus the skirt eh?

I have a vague memory that postie postie posted 2:49, as I was intending using him to pace me for the first half....

Ben Fish is on the start list. He has a 2.19 under his belt! Did Chester just 2 weeks ago though 2.32 there.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Right, you lot.  Don't pinch all the shower water!  Think of the rest of us out there for another hour or two.

It's great to read all the sharp-end banter, though.

Was it this event a couple of years ago that was won by someone in a clown outfit?  Or perhaps I'm getting mixed up with another race?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Cake - I don't think Ex Chimney would go in a pub with that name at the moment!

• Options

We're obviously getting to the last few hours - my legs are starting to hurt just from the walk to the water cooler. By Sunday morning I imagine they'll both have fallen off. I love how the mind can play these tricks on you.  I'm yet to have a race I care about where my body hasn't convinced me it's falling to pieces, but I've also never had a race where I've actually had any injury problems (during the race... *afterwards* is an entirely different story).

• Options

T rex it's not even a pub but worth it. link image

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

May have been the clown (though I'm not sure that was at Abingdon itself), but there is a local runner who is a 2:32 man and holds several world records incluidng fastest fancy dress marathon ones:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=28720

Personally, if the weather turns out as forecast, I'm going for the world record for a runner dressed as a deep sea fisherman image

• Options

T-Rex, no you've got it confused with Gloucester Marathon. But he is a local geezer. I remember toeing the line near him, along with CRAB and Dull Napoleon. It was the grubby super-light racing slicks that gave the game away. That and the fact that he sprinted off with the top 3 whippets. His outfit was not a 2 ton jobby either.

• Options

Last couple of weeks have gone rather well so I should be on course for sub 2:50 say somewhere between 2:48 to 2:50. 

My pacing is still carp even after 8 marathons. I was planning on stalking Keir!

Anyway no running and stuffing myself with kebab and chips with porridge a ton of bread and probably pasta on the menu for tomorrow.

• Options

T rex- Paul didn't win in his clown outfit but did get the world record for the fastest marathon as a clown.  he also has the Elvis record and furthest distance in 24hrs on a treadmill in a team  he did win it last year though but has pulled out with injury this year, but will be on the date at Tilsley park instead

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

Cheers Cake, though as T Rex says, may well be giving it a miss for a while!

Yep, now a neighbour of sorts. Ain't it grand round here, eh? (Still learning the local lingo....) 

Been flicking at the Clown on Pof10. I kinda felt a tad demoralised a few years back when a rhino went flying by me at a Reading half. But I knew then that most of the field would pass me, it was my first ever race. Wonder how the the top runners felt at Gloucester when a clown beat them all. It may not be a heavy suit, but it's hardly streamlined is it?! 

If I go really, really slow will the water have had a chance to heat up again? Or do I go for the ' Ice ' bath and jump in the Thames? 

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options
    CafCaf ✭✭

Don't worry about all the niggles, heavy legs etc. Taper madness affects me every time and I've never had once had an issue with any of my suspected injuries on the day. I'm travelling tomorrow so just wanted to say Good Luck to everyone. Relax and enjoy it (well the first half anyway!). I'm aiming for 2:59 so will look out for Leebe, Millsy and Jamie Farmer and hope we can help each other out with the pacing for a while. Sooooo looking forward to that walk to the tea urn (swiftly followed by a few galsses of wine!) on Sunday afternoon!

• Options

Good luck Caf. See you on the other side...

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

OK Postie - so you set off trailing Keir, and I'll follow you for as long as I can!

Respect to Mr Fernandez - clown suit or no clown suit, he'd whoop my ass by a long way image (as he has done in a number of races!) 

• Options

And don't forget the time he did Abo in a Fred Flintstone costume (with inflatable club!).

• Options
    ChimneyChimney ✭✭✭

And this will be my last check-in before Sunday night, travelling down first thing tomorrow and hate trying to browse/post here on my Samsung.

Best wishes one and all, see you at the start.

If reality matched intention I'd know I was dreaming
  • Options

I just looked at the weather forecast for Sunday and burst out laughing.

Hey - it might wash some of the dead rabbits off the course though (found one just past mile 3 on Tuesday).

[wanders off to put everything in plastic bags and pack a couple of extra umbrellas for the marshalling stint]

• Options
    The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Don't tell us about the dead rabbits - it'll just set hares racing....

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

MG15: No he's not a relative but we have the same 3 initials and are in the same club but that's about all; unfortunately I do not have the same genes. He did give me a big good luck thumbs up as our paths crossed on Bournemouth sea front tonight. I was only doing 5 with a few strides, I guess he was banging out something a bit longer.