Options

Ironman UK 2014

Comments

• Options

Well done everyone, didn't realise there were so many doing it!

• Options

Massive well done to everyone (supporters and racers alike!) - was bloody warm yesterday! Looking forward to reading the race reports!

• Options

Apologies in advance for length (for a shy, quiet type, I don't half seem able to waffle), but here's my race report:

Pre-amble

I entered IMUK on the basis that I was still on a high after having completed Lanzarote in May this year, and I wanted to experience the thrill and excitement all over again.  Part of me wondered whether I was biting off more than I could chew, but then with the course pretty much on my doorstep I figured I may as well give it a shot, and I could just have a steady day out to enjoy the atmosphere of an IM all over again.  In any event, I’d used the bike course as my training ground for Lanza so I was very familiar with it, and despite some saying that it wasn’t as good as the old course, I actually really enjoyed riding it.

I had previously toyed with the idea of entering for 2014 last year, but it had sold out before I’d done procrastinating.  When a new batch of entries was released this year, I saw it as fate.  I told (I say ‘told’ – it was more of a plea) the long-suffering missus that if there were still places available when we got back from Lanza, then I’d be swooping in.

So, after getting back from our jollies, I paid my money and got myself a ticket to ride (.....and swim, and run) J

I didn’t initially have any particular target as far as the race was concerned.  However, as time went on, I started to think about whether sub-12 was possible.

The lead up

Training went as well as could be expected.  I took a week off after Lanza, but then quickly got back up to a 10/12 hour week, peaking at around 14/15 for a couple of weeks, before planning to wind it down.

However, I picked up a chest infection about three weeks out which put me out for a week.  At the time, I panicked, as I thought that I was going to start going backwards and lose fitness etc, but a few words from my mentor, Seren (the Sage of Swansea), and I was quickly reassured.  On reflection, it was probably quite a good thing that I took that week off, as I was starting to feel drained by that point, so the rest probably did me some good.

The week of the race I wound down with just a couple of swims, an easy run and some easy spin sessions on the bike.

The day before the race I had planned to be out and about during the morning, and then spend the afternoon with my feet up.  Alas, this was not to be.

The morning was spent as planned – cheering on my son and daughter in the Ironkids race.  I think it’s safe to say that they have caught the bug – they absolutely loved it!  I was a very proud father watching them race down the finishers chute with gritted teeth and red faces, giving it everything they had.  I asked them afterwards if they’d like to do an Ironman when they are older, and received a resounding ‘yes’ from both of them image

We went for some lunch afterwards, before heading off to the Macron to drop off my run bag, and down to Pennington Flash to rack my bike and drop off my bike bag.

All told, it took till about 5pm to get it all sorted, on account of traffic, hold-ups and general faffage.  Not quite what I had planned.

However, I did spend the rest of the evening horizontal on the sofa, relaxing, watching a film with my kids and having a bite to eat.

In bed for 8.30pm, alarm set for 3:15am.

• Options

Race morning

Managed to get off to sleep fairly quickly (surprisingly) and have a fairly undisturbed nights sleep.  I even slept through my wife getting back from a Wet Wet Wet concert at midnight.  I had pre-warned her not to be rolling in drunk, crooning about ‘Love being all around’ etc, and god love her, she duly obliged!

Quick brekkie of cold porridge that had been soaking overnight, and a cup of coffee.  Shower, dressed, sun-creamed, check of bag to take with me, and outside to wait for the taxi which was picking me up at 4:15am.  By 4:19am it hadn’t arrived, so I started fretting, got on the phone to the taxi firm, only to see the taxi pull round the corner as I was explaining the importance of this particular journey!

Taxi dropped me off at the entrance to Pennington Flash park and I joined the centipede of people walking up towards T1.  It was a really pleasant morning, and the excitement/nerves were starting to grow as I listened to that now familiar hum of voices and activity on race day morning.

Got to my bike and loaded my banquet of food into my bento box, pumped tyres, filled water, fiddled with bike computer etc.  In between doing this, managed to have a chat with Blue Steel, Mitten and Red Stripe who were milling about in T1.

I then semi-dressed into my wetsuit, and applied half a stick of body glide to my neck and to the wetsuit itself, followed by lashings of KY Jelly.  After a particularly bad experience of neck rub which left me with an open wound, the more’s the better as far as I’m concerned.

That done, I headed to queue to get into the water.  Met Unchartered Waters whilst queuing and had a natter, before wishing eachother good luck and getting on our way down to the flash.

The swim

I am not, and never will be, a good swimmer.  I positioned myself in the water accordingly....towards the right and at the back.  It seems that everyone else had this same idea though, and there were almost as many people jockeying for position as far back as possible, as there were people jostling for the best position at the start line!

Anyway, the horn sounded and we were off.

I got going, and just tried to get into a nice, relaxed pace for the outset, but there was quite a bit of biff, even considering where I’d positioned myself.  I think a lot of this was faster, albeit less confident swimmers, having put themselves too far back, which meant they then had to make their way thorough all the sower swimmers in front of them (i.e. me!).  No matter though, biff is all part of the fun.

Getting to the first turn point didn’t take as long as I thought it would and after the initial bun fight, I had secured some open water (y’know, so I could really let rip with my pace!).  After the second turn point though, when we start heading back to shore for the Aussie exit, it seemed to take forever.  Even when the landing pontoon was in close sight, it seemed hard to make speedy progress towards it, almost as if there was a current moving away from the shoreline.

Anyway, out of the water after the first lap in 40.18 (didn’t know this at the time, as I couldn’t see a clock anywhere, and didn’t have a watch on), which is a surprise actually.

Into the water for the second lap, and the pack had stretched out a lot, which meant more space to swim.  The second lap was largely uneventful, apart from someone pulling at my leg....I mean, literally gripping my ankle and pulling it....why do that?

I thought I’d been much quick

• Options

I thought I’d been much quicker on the second lap, and started having lofty visions of a sub-1:20 swim, but came in at 43.21.

Overall, 1.23.39, which I’m really quite chuffed with.

• Options

T1

Wanting to shake my reputation as a transition faffer, I was desperate to be quicker this time, so ran (jogged) down to the bag tent as I unzipped and half stripped, grabbed my bag and found a patch of grass on which I could get changed.   Emptied my bag, which duly split, and speedily got into my cycling gear.  Went for a tinkle in the portaloo, stuffed a banana malt loaf down, then ran round to the bag drop.

Grabbed my bike and headed up to the bike start line.

All in, 7.36 – pretty bloody swift for me (eat that Q!).

Bike

As I mentioned, the bike course has become my stomping ground this year.  I had loaded it into my Garmin at the start of the year when the new route was announced, and just intended to go out on it a couple of time.  However, since I enjoyed it so much, I seem to have done all my long rides on it.  I’m a creature of habit, see.

Anyway, the road out of Leigh is a long drag up towards Bolton.  My plan was to easy spin all the way up to the start of loop, to get the legs going and then take it from there.

I still have in mind Q’s advice to take it easy on the first third, open up on the second third and then batter the final third if you feel strong enough, and this was kind of the plan that I ended up following.

At the first big roundabout I spotted Horse out supporting, which was great.  Gave him a shout, received a holler back, and had a little smile to myself. J

Saw quite a nasty off just after that first roundabout.  Guy on the aerobars swerved to avoid someone in front who’d pulled out to the left, his front wheel went from under him, and in a second he was over the other side of the road into a bush.  He was ok thankfully, and certainly well enough to turn the air blue with a host of expletives directed at the offending cyclist.

Reaching the loop, there is a right turn whereupon you are greeted by the now infamous ‘Colt Alley’.  This is just amazing.  It really is like being a rider in the TdF, riding up Alp d’Huez (without the crippling steepness) with the Colt supporters enveloping you as you go up the hill.  Just brilliant – thank you Colt! J

The first pass of Sheephouse came shortly after, which with it brought a van full of mankini /bananaman wearing supporters.  Oh, and I swear that I saw a dildo on the side of the road – anyone else see that?!

First loop went more or less to plan.  Pushed it where I could, and reigned it in on the lumpier/more technical parts, to save some in the tank for later.

Towards the end of the first loop was where SA, Mrs SA, Jordy and Littleclown were positioned....giving it LARGE! – brilliant support from these guys, as ever image

• Options

Entered the second loop feeling quite good.  Nutrition was going to plan (one Nakd bar on the hour and at twenty past the hour, and two shot bloks at twenty to the hour – Salt tab every hour, and Powerbar Zero/water to drink), and I had managed to remember to take the immodium I’d packed, so no worries on that front for later in the day!

Shortly into the second loop, I did some quick calculations and reckoned I could be on course for a sub-6 bike time.  I don’t why this became of importance to me, but it did.  In fact, I got to the point where I thought to myself how disappointed I’d be if I missed it by a couple of minutes.  I do find it odd how the mind works in the midst of competition (albeit only competition with myself).  I was conscious of not overdoing it and blowing up on the run, but it continued to niggle at me!

I felt good, so I gradually started to push it a bit harder, whilst keeping an eye on my heart rate.  Kept on with my nutrition the whole time, and tried not to be silly with effort, and think I managed to get it just about right.

In the end, I made it back to T2 to bag a 5.56 split, and part of me is as happy with that alone, as the overall result for the day!

T2

Attempted to high five Alice who was racking bikes...epic fail!

‘Rushed’ to the change tent, grabbed by bag and emptied the contents on the floor.  Change of socks, with liberal application of Vaseline, running shoes on and I’m ready to rock and roll.  Oh, not before another quick portaloo break first though....

Out of T2 transition in 5.19.

At this point I’d just like to say that the sum total of T1 and T2 yesterday (12.55) was less than I spent just in T1 in Lanza – evidence that not bothering with fresh mascara, a change of lippy and a cup tea, really does make a difference image

• Options

Run

Within minutes of starting the run, you are straight up a hill (one of many), then hang a right towards Bolton town centre.

The first part of the route is actually quite pleasant as there is a stretch of two or three miles along a quiet towpath.  It then swings up where it joins the loop, which is to be completed three (and a half) times.

The support along the run route was fantastic.  Not only in the town centre itself, but all along Chorley New Road.  People line every bit of pavement shouting and screaming.  They seem to go particularly mental when they see pirates....I am quite hoarse from endless “Arrrghs”, but when you get that amount of support, it’s impossible not to engage with people!

A couple of people did shout “Mr Toxic” at me, which is an interesting, and understandable, interpretation of the pirate kit!

Plenty of pirates and Colts out on the run course too, in particular Rosey who was always there with words of encouragement and his camera.  He was with another pirate who I’d not met before – you deserve a special mention, but sorry I don’t know your name image

Coming into the town centre off the initial lap, I spotted my wife and children for the first which gave me an enormous boost, as by now I was really starting to feel it in my legs.  I stopped to give them all a big sweaty kiss, and carried on, soaking up the incredible atmosphere throughout the town.  Heading back out, my wife asked if she should make her way to the finish line to meet me there when I come back into town.   Wishful thinking!!! I explained that I’d three laps to complete, and not to expect me at the finish line for at least three hours!

Seeing them all each time time in, and out, of town was brilliant, and really kept me going.

For the first couple of hours or so I was sticking to my plan of drinking water only, and having two shot bloks at each water station.  Towards the end, I picked up some cola, and truly appreciated why it’s considered in such high regard – it never tasted so good.  And that’s saying something, as it wasn’t even Coca-Cola, I think it was Roller Cola, or some other such brand.  It’s sugary goodness was a delight though!

Getting the third band was a very good feeling and from that moment I started thinking “this is the last time I’ll see you/this landmark/this stretch of road”.  Not sure whether it was knowing that I was close to finishing, but I found some more energy from somewhere and picked up the pace a little.  As I made my merry little way back into town, I made sure I thanked all those out supporting as they had made it such a brill day.

I passed the water station on the entry into town without picking anything up, as I was confident of managing those last 600 yards without sustenance (!) and pressed on.

Turning off for the finish chute was a great feeling and I got all giddy, high fiving the crowd and jumping up and down like a prat.  My family were at the side in the final stretch, so I stopped to give them all a hug and kiss, then “aeroplane’d” it down to the finish gantry, to hear those magical words “You are an Ironman!”.

Finish time – 11.21.52

To say I’m over the moon is an understatement.

• Options

Afterwards

I collected my medal and t-shirt (though disappointingly, they didn’t have any small left, so I was given a medium) and went on the hunt for the pizza.  My initial horror at there being none out on the table was quickly tempered, when the Dominos delivery chap turned up with three huge bags full of fresh pizza.

I wolfed down three slices, a piece of parkin, then went for a rub down before collecting my bags and going to meet my family in Costa.  Headed home, via the Macron stadium to get my bike and bags, and also via Tesco to pick a pizza which I’d now found a taste for.

Pizza, beer, bed..........and before you know it, it’s Monday morning, and I’m at work writing this, now that it’s all over image

Well done to all who raced yesterday, and bad luck to those who didn’t make it – you’ll be back stronger next time no doubt.

Thank you to everyone for making yesterday such a great day, to all on here armchair cheering, to Seren for undertaking her usual commentating duties so well image

Still on a high and looking forward to doing it all again at Outlaw this weekend! image

• Options

Not sure what's more impressive, the report or the finish time!  Great read Pudge.

• Options

Both impressive, great report Pudge! image

• Options

top report, top performance, top result, top bloke

looking forward to shouting at you again this weekend

• Options

Fab report Pudge!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options
    slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Great report image

• Options

Cracking report Pudge. Was going to as about Lanza to this as I'm thinking the same for next year. I tracked your progress and was unbelievably impressed with your last 5k 21:2x awesome mate. Great workimageimageimage

• Options

Well done Pudge - think it's time to buy the wife an icecream and say thank you darling wifie!  Good sandbagging on your time tho' - was stalking ya with Seren's help your bike leg was awesome!

• Options

Great reading Pudge, good job on both the time and report

• Options

great report Pudge.   and an amazing time...which is richly deserved because you put the training in......

You ahve also made me go and buy Pizza for tea.......

Now rest up so that you can race me on the bike next week image

• Options
    BluePeter wrote (see)

Cracking report Pudge. Was going to as about Lanza to this as I'm thinking the same for next year. I tracked your progress and was unbelievably impressed with your last 5k 21:2x awesome mate. Great workimageimageimage

Thanks everyone image

BP - I think that IMUK is maybe a little underestimated in terms of difficulty, although Lanza is definitely harder overall.

It's the run course at Bolton that was the killer.  At best it's 'undulating', and then there a few steep buggers thrown in (one of which is on the loop so you need to climb it 4 times).

They are very different events and I wouldn't say that one was a country mile ahead of the other, for me.  However, if I had to pick, I'd pick Lanza - it is just fantastic!

Buttercup - duly noted, although if all she got in return for my absence, fatigued state, moods, bike/run/swim washing and triathlon clutter around the house, was an ice cream, then I don't think I'd be Mr Popular at Chez Pudge for too long!!

• Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

Now rest up so that you can race me on the bike next week image

You're serious about this aren't you?! Ok, coach, you're on - it's a smack down!

• Options

Do we know yet what happened to SumoSue?  Still not showing any times on IM live. Surely can't be a complete chip failure?

• Options

fab report Pudge image top pirating image

• Options

I need to start with a BIG thanks to all the supporters on the route - COLT alley was amazing, but there were loads of ARRRRGs around the course. Special shout to SA, Mrs SA, Jordy and Littleclown at the Pirate station as well as all those on the course who shouted out too. 

My goal was to finish, and I did, so very chuffed about that. Looking back I could have gone much harder in places but as this was my first IM I wanted to pace myself and get to the end. The voice of my 9 year old with his motivational, "Don't you dare DNF" rang loudly in my ears.

Super short trip report:

Swim - terrible start, nerves/being too far back/left it too late to get into the water - so lost time here - but then relaxed and did the job. Worries about troublesome shoulder didn't materialise, so slow but steady. No issues and enjoyable.

Bike - test ride didn't highlight the flipping rattling bottle that the rough IM course exposed. Note to self - throw this and get another fuel system. As has been said - hilly bugger with lots of rough surfaces. Surprised to see people walking on the first loop at Sheep House Lane - helped my confidence as I stayed seated - after that that back valley ride towards the M65 thinking "where the heck did that headwind come from?" Again no issues and enjoyable.

Run - the only part of the course that I hadn't really looked at - thank goodness I didn't. Up-down-up-down ... get the band and repeat until end. Brilliant support though and enjoyable. Like the swim and run I was probably too easy on pace, but glad to finish. 

After spending the run thinking about the pizza, the cold pizza with no toppings on was a real disappointment. That will teach me to finish faster!

Good things: Finishing, the supporters, the helpers and volunteers, and a race with no problems. And it was fun. 

Bad things: Toilets - too few - everywhere also not checking them during the race. No energy drink at Sheep House Lane feed station and too big gap before next one - which then ran out of drinks later in the race and had to quickly make it up using 'recycled' bottles.

Overall - loved it - thanks to everyone who has helped - not just at the race, but over the last year - and a special thanks to my non-IT using wife (who won't read this) but it is important to say it.  

• Options

Blackbelt, did your family somewhere to see the bike, we get a look out for them but nothing

• Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the purple vibrator in the middle of the road, but apparently not.

• Options
    F.oggy wrote (see)

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw the purple vibrator in the middle of the road, but apparently not.

Phew - so glad it wasn't just me!

• Options

Love the reports, really well done all around

Great stuff also those who went out and supported so well, and thanks to Seren and all who helped keep we armchair supporters in touch with what was happening.

• Options

Amazing results everyone, well done.  And thank you Seren for the updates.

i'm particularly impressed that Crooky made it round (and in a decent time) considering he was in plaster a couple of weeks ago. What a hero!

• Options
    Pudge wrote (see)
    BluePeter wrote (see)

Thanks everyone image

BP - I think that IMUK is maybe a little underestimated in terms of difficulty, although Lanza is definitely harder overall.

It's the run course at Bolton that was the killer.  At best it's 'undulating', and then there a few steep buggers thrown in (one of which is on the loop so you need to climb it 4 times).

They are very different events and I wouldn't say that one was a country mile ahead of the other, for me.  However, if I had to pick, I'd pick Lanza - it is just fantastic!

Buttercup - duly noted, although if all she got in return for my absence, fatigued state, moods, bike/run/swim washing and triathlon clutter around the house, was an ice cream, then I don't think I'd be Mr Popular at Chez Pudge for too long!!

Pudge, actually meant with regards to doing both Lanza and IMUK ie with there being 7ish weeks between. Not decided on number 2 for next yr yet and as this is local it might be a winner.

• Options

Great day yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it and meeting so many Pirates along the route. Great picture of me and Mitten coming through on bike on FB. Great to chat to Woody, 9sqrun, Crooky and to have got to know Blue Steel on our first Ironman journey. Thank you Pirates. I had a big group of friends and family giving the Pirates an extra big cheer on the run just after the turnaround in the town centre. 

also many thanks to Seren for all her sage advice. No Ironman for me next year going to try and get my marathon time down and probably do a half. love being a Pirate!