Options

Encounter with Pervert

Comments

• Options
    ...wasn't it hoover who started this one?
  • Options
    No worries Dodge, no offence taken.

It was good to get it off my chest, to be honest!
  • Options
    ...your big manly chest obviously.

:D
  • Options
    Karen,
    Deffo shouldn't let this put you off running outside, just be as careful as you would when going out at any other time - don't go out on your own late at night in poorly lit areas, tell someone how long you should be out for etc.
    The only problems I've encountered from running outside are the 'run forrest, run' type comments, which are annoying but harmless.
  • Options
    When i was flashed at, i was told i'd done the right thing by keeping on moving. Ignoring them is the best thing to do.

very annoyed that the police didn't come for your statement hooves. that's appalling.

fave question they asked me was "Was it erect?" Apparently it's a sign of intent if he was.

I'd never seen one before so didn't actually have a clue!
  • Options
    Make sure you give the important info (where and how long) to someone reliable - when I stay with my Dad I usually going running on my own over the hills so always brief him.

Every time I get back he asks where I've been and comments that I was longer than he expected having totally failed to listen to my plans when I set off.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Hoover, it might be worth dropping a note to the headteacher of the schools surrounding where this happened. I'm sure they would like to be aware that someone like that is around, even if the police don't seem to be bothered.

• Options
    I think that is a good idea- round our way the schools communicate with each other over dodgy types who have approached children whatever, if the police won't take a statement they're just as unlikely to get the information to the schools.
  • Options
    I'd have run opposite way! Sorry but some time ago there was a spate of attacks, one was on a jogger during the daytime running near residential area. Admittedly Hoovers chap had his trousers down so was fairly immobile - but someone else could've been lurking in background. Local attacker is up in court now thankfully, but there are still loads out there.
    DON'T use walkmans, always take mobile and if you can tell someone how long and where - as above. An alarm helps too and look conifdent in your running.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I was told of an incident in my home town a few years ago when a few girls from the local running club were running through some parkland. A flasher exposed himself, the girls then chased him, and he was never seen again in this town.
  • Options
    Hooves

missed this

poor you - hope you're OK

what a w%%ker

all senses
  • Options
    Sorry, but I thought on first read that the comment "Make sure you give the important info (where and how long)", you were referring to reporting the physical description of the flasher's... ahem...
  • Options
    Had a similar experience on an underground train once when a youngish woman and myself were alone in a carriage with a man. She was very intimidated and I was quite scared, but got my camera out of my pocket (checking the distance to the emergency stop sign). He looked at the camera, tidied himself up and got off at the next station. No-one said anything...
  • Options
    I don't think I'd have been so rational in my response.
  • Options
    Just read the thread, and its absolutely shocking. Im from Doncaster, its a bit rough so i dont think anyone would dare do that as no one would show any sign of mercy at all, and there'd be no sign of his man hood at all afterwards.

id say that id have gone for him, but in the heat of the moment id probably of ran whilst the extent of it hits me, and then vomited.

It reaaly does need to be dealt with. Is there anyone that has the gift of the gab, that you know who can really make the police stand up and take note. I think if it was done to an off duty police officer, he's have the book thrown at him.
  • Options
    Problem with cases like this is the difficulty of getting it to stand up in court.

(well someone had to crack it and you lot have nearly six pages now. Call yourself a student, Stifler!!!)
  • Options
    I was interested in the comments on what you should do when flashed, but don't agree with the safety advice.

What possible protection is it to tell someone that you have a 10 mile route planned and that you will be back in 2 hours? If you are attacked and dragged into the bushes after 15 minutes, it is little consolation that someone might come looking in 3 hours time.

Don't think for a second that you are protected because people know where you are. You have to look after yourself!!!

The stuff about being alert, not using walkmans, turning back if feeling threatened all makes good sense.

I carry a whistle when I go hill walking, so if I break a leg, I can signal that I am in distress. Never occurred to me to take one running. Has anyone ever used a whistle or attack alarm? And did it work?
  • Options
    Stifler

Funny thing that, only time I've been flashed was in Doncaster South Bus Station :-)
  • Options
    Hopefully Hooves will provide an update.
  • Options
    just one for Dodge and Bryan ..

lots of women get fancied by blokes - some of them are ugly too

is that vindictive ? is it sexual harassment - or is it just because its someone of the same sex and its making you feel uncomfortable ? if it was woman you didnt fancy would it be sexual harrasment too ?
    (im not sure where the line draws nowadays - if someone pays attention to us and we like it its fine - if we dont they are a stalker ..?)

flashers and perves dont - get me started - ill reply when ive got more time !
  • Options
    Why, what you doin', Bune?
  • Options
    I think you've missed the point of my questioning Bune. I was aiming towards the same thing you just said.
  • Options
    No idea why the fella got it out today. Brrrr.

Hopefully he got frost bite in it, and had to get it amputated ?
  • Options
    Hoover - I agree with whoever suggested you let the local schools know. At least then they can take whatever precautions they feel necessary - like sending letters back to parents - and if the guy should repeat his behaviour in front of any kids, people would be more likely to take their story seriously. If a six-year-old reported it, she probably wouldn't know what she'd seen and people might not appreciate the seriousness of it, or what the guy could do next...

hope it doesn't happen again.

Personally, I believe in public shaming...

my boss can't resist retelling the story of the guy who tried to grope me on a packed tube. I got the opportunity to do what I've always wanted to do when friends have told me of similar experiences - picked his hand up, waved it in the air and said in a very loud voice "I've just found this on my @rse. Does it belong to you?". The guy looked very embarrassed and the whole carriage sniggered. Then I felt really stupid, wondering how long I was going to have to carry on standing next to the bloke, but fortunately he got off at the next station. Only works with gropers though - wouldn't like to try it with anything more...
  • Options
    yeurch

unless you pulled it off and waved it in the air?

• Options
    Lots of good advice and I probably should have hassled the police again but was teaching all day so didn`t have time.
    ( then when I finally got a planning lesson I had to phone the bus company as a bus hit my car while it was parked outside the house last night)Unbelievably enough.

I did get someone to cover my class for ten minutes and went out at the same time today to see if he was back, but there was no sign of him. Did consider taking my year eights with me as they would scare anyone but decided against it.

I did run this evening after work at the same place and although I was a bit nervous at going out on my own it was fine.

I think the whistle is a really good idea though and think I will start carrying one with me.
  • Options
    GO Hooves

and Pi$$ off pervey person
  • Options
    Bune:

Going back about 6 years I worked in a place where there was a woman on the team (who I didn't fancy), who was very tactile with me.

And yes it did make me feel uncomfortable.

I think it's the predatory aspect of it, the fact that they're clearly not put off by the lack of interest that's returned to them. It makes you wonder what you have to do to get them to desist, it makes you feel powerless.

Nothing to do with gender, orientation, or whatever. It's been bloody stressful and I'm really glad that he's gone now.
  • Options
    Hmmmm, Hoover.

Could be a bit of confusion on the old whistle front.

You see, in my experience, the ones with whistles ARE the w@nkers.

Take Graham Poll for example.

Please.