Options

Any first timers want to talk about VLM 2015?

Comments

• Options
    I'm not feeling that hot either Leigh. Went for a 6 mile run yesterday and found it so hard! Doesn't bode well.

Thanks for Blackheath and pub tips. I think I'll try and get a 8.30ish train from Charing Cross, and arrive in Blackheath just before 9. I don't want to be hanging around for too long, but then don't want to be rushing either.

I'm watching the Manchester marathon coverage on C4 right now, it's making me feel nervous again!
  • Options

Great thread- exactly what I was after! I watched Brighton coverage too Fleet Girl and felt exactly the same!

I am so excited about Sunday!! I can't stop reading blogs about people who've run London before. I'm obsessed.

None of my friends or my husband are into running so I don't think they quite understand what a big deal it is (it's my first one).

I get so emotional just thinking about how blooming proud I'll be of myself at the end. I'm sure I'll burst into tears multiple times enroute. Plus I know that a recurring injury is definitely going to rear it's head once I hit the unknown 20m+ terrain so a little worried/interested to see who that'll pan out. 

Good luck everyone! What an amazing achievement we've all made just to get through the training! Give yourself a high five this instant (but not too aggressivly incase you injure yourself obvs).

• Options

A week today and it'll all be over and you'll be so proud of what you have achieved.

Take it easy this week as it's not worth risking anything this close to the start line

Whackers

• Options

Hi Hurties,

I've been equally obsessed. Even watching GoPro footage from runners at previous London marathons. Found it's help visualise the course somewhat. I'm expecting it to hurt from mile 16 onwards so painkillers, adrenaline, the crowd will be much needed. 

How's everyone else feeling?

• Options
    Ooh I want to read blogs and watch footage! That's today at work sorted haha.

I am now officially obsessed, I dreamt about the marathon last night.

Current weather forecast is 15 degrees and light rain. Don't particularly want it to rain but it's still early days so I won't get upset just yet. I suppose rain is better than hot sun?

Ps hurties yes i meant Brighton not Manchester. I was annoyed there was no TV on Manchester, I wanted to watch
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips rodeoflip, I really am in taper madness, fretting over logistics and weather.
  • Options
    I'm feeling a bit apprehensive as the realisation of 0 training is upon me. However my fortune cookie last night said - "YOU CAN DO IT" so I'm going to believe that image

This week I'll be making sure I eat properly and am hydrated with a bit of gym work.

I've watched some footage and am looking forward to getting out there and pushing my body to see what it can do image

Darren don't forget to use paracetamol and not ibuprofen as pain relief!

Fleet, I think light rain will be good. Just please not much wind! I guess finding 2 pacers in the whole crowd of ppl may be difficult. I think I read they have crossed on their back and start towards the rear of the pen but could be wrong! I'll be going to see the pacing section in the expo anyway. I think they give out pacing bands?

6 days to go!
  • Options
    Why paracetamol and not ibuprofen pls?
  • Options
    Weather now says 17 degrees!
  • Options
    Ooh it's changed again, back down to 15 and no rain! Basically they haven't got a clue!
  • Options
    Haha Fleet Girl! Who needs BBC weather when we have you!
  • Options

Look out for the offical Photographers around the course especially at the end ..(they will be at / on the finish line) ..get their attention (if possible) then go for it...makes for a great picture for your photo album image

Get there as early as you can, most runners are heading towards their pens at 9am,  it will take at least 10 minutes to get to the start line so if you need the toilet just walk over you won't be last  

stay out of the middle of the road when running as it can get quite busy there and you may have to get out of the way of quicker/slower runners..if you are nearer to the pavement often you can use that as an overtake

If you notice somebody in a costume and want to get on more pictures or the  News (TV)  stick by them..those guys can be quite fast without the costume, but often are going at an easier pace with it on ...image..plus you get more people noticing you and giving you a shout out..

As said previously most who start finish so don't worry about that but if the worst should happen the Tube is free for Runners get yourself to the finish area to meet family

You will have a great day,imageI will be doing the Bolton 10k on Sunday so will catch up on the highlights when I get home..AND looking forward to reading this thread

• Options
    It's something I read somewhere! I think it's the increased risk of heart attack and little evidence of pain relief whilst exercising.
  • Options
    That's great Warkie, thanks image good luck in your 10k!
  • Options

Fleet Girl

Ibuprofen can effect you liver, so don't take it 48 hours before the run as your organs will be working overtime Sunday and will not be happy with working on ibuprofen as well.

When is everyone going to the expo ? I'll be there Wednesday I expect, as I want to get in/out and back home to Portsmouth asap. 

Last 3 years it has been hot on the course so I don't mind a little drizzle and a bit overcast, especially after the heat of Paris last week.

Hope everyone is chilling out, you do not use to much nervous energy their really is nothing to worry about.

• Options
    Thanks for the tips rodeoflip, I really am in taper madness, fretting over logistics and weather.
  • Options

Hello image

Mixed feelings here really.  Felt really negative last week, had I trained enough, had I trained too hard, what if I go too fast, what if I go too slow..

Also did a 10k race on Saturday which isn't really ideal.  I'd aimed to go at marathon pace and ended up going faster!  It felt hard to start, but got in to a flow at around 5 miles and kicked on for the last mile.  My plan said 70 mins run, but I was faster than I should have been but only 55 mins instead of 70.  Hopefully no harm done!

Then today I went literally as slow as I could for 30 mins.  It felt so hard, I've run the same route before, so much faster but had to keep telling myself to go slow!

I've also picked up a little sniffle, paracetamol and berocca are close at hand!

But today, with the realisation that I have one run left (planning on it being Wed and a mile or so if I want/need it Fri/Sat) , I'm starting to feel a little excited.  I've written out all of my expected timings including a link to the live tracking site and sent it to my online support crew (my sister lol).  I've got a pebble watch so she's been instructed to send the right sort of encouragement by text so I can read it when I'm struggling!

I'm also looking to see if I can buy some iron on letters for my name (anyone know the cost/wait time at the expo?)

I'm also really pleased I've booked a half marathon to give myself something else to focus on after (not until Sept).  I'm eating as well as I can, sleeping and relaxing as well as I can.  This time next week we should be marathon men/women!

• Options

This may sound a bit odd, but I quite like to go out the day before a marathon for a very, very slow 20-30 minute jog. And I cant emphasise the word "slow" enough here. A good 2min per mile slower than marathon pace. In fact, its barely faster than walking pace. I find it freshens my legs up a bit after the relative inactivity of the final week.

For me, this week is all about the preparation. Eat well, drink well, rest up and familiarise myself with what I need to do on the morning of the race (Im quite OCD about this part!). When do I get up? What do I eat, and when? Which train do I get, and from where (given that London Bridge is a massive clusterf*ck at the moment)? What bits and bobs do I need to take (eg, vaseline, gels, etc.)? What will I wear if its warm? What will I wear if its cold or raining?

• Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

I have a 2 mile jog on my plan for saturday image 

Trying to sort nutrition this week... alll I want to do is sit in the sun with a nice cider image

Oh and Im petrified of failing too !

• Options
    Thanks for tip re ibuprofen, prob best avoid that one then!

Re name on shirt at expo, it's ??8 (for 1 line) and apparently the desk is as you go in so you can hand it in then have a wander while it's done.

I'm massively ocd also and have been planning my packing list for weeks especially since I'm staying in London the night before. Here it is, be warned its lengthy!

Vaseline

Painkillers - GOT

Old clothes

Bin liner - GOT

Jelly babies - GOT

Banana

Granola etc

Peanut butter

Inhaler - GOT

Compeed - GOT

Socks - GOT

Bra - GOT

Tights

Vest

Trainers

Deodorant - GOT

Sweater for after

Leggings for after

Flip flops for after

Watch

Watch Charger

Phone charger

Juice pack

Juice pack charger

Fitbit charger -

Hairbands - GOT

Squash

Water

Wipes - GOT

Flipbelt

Gels - GOT

Energy Beans - GOT

Safety pins - GOT

Running number

Knickers -GOT

Crisps

Milkshake

Imodium - GOT

Loo roll / tissues - GOT

Suntan lotion - GOT

Tape

Talc

Nytol - GOT
  • Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

Oooh a list Fleet girl ! I need to write my list !!

• Options
    Got to love a list image

Weather now says 12 and sunny spells. It has literally changed every hour today!
  • Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

12 and sunny s[ells would be ideal !!

• Options
    washwoodwashwood ✭✭✭

after saying Id like to be drinking cider in the sun in an earlier post ......the husband came home with alcohol free cider totally  unprompted image well its our anniversary so the champagne he bought for us is in the fridge until Sunday image

• Options
    You're very good not drinking it now. I do like a glass of wine and am still having one! Purely medicinal obviously.
  • Options

Great list!  I've been writing one too and after using a portaloo at the weekend, loo roll is a great idea!  Couldn't imagine anything worse than pre-race gitters and no toilet roll..

I'm off the booze too.  When I used to work in London I'd often have a few beers on a Friday lunchtime with my best mate.  This Friday we're meeting up again and neither of us are drinking.  It'll be a bit weird!

• Options

Oh, I saw printing was £8 in the magazine now too, cheers.  I also saw on one of the previous pages that someone had written their name legibly enough on the top part of their race number.  I'll add permanent marker to my list!

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Re the name printing - you can get letters made up which you just iron on to your shirt and they're permanently attached. Cost is a couple of £, available from ebay / Google?, maybe you could buy with overnight delivery? Would be cheaper than at the expo, and you would have your shirt done in advance, so one less thing to worry about?

• Options
    I'd be wary of scribbling on your race number - they have marshalls looking out for people with counterfeit numbers on route - don't make yours look suspicious or you'll get stopped.

TBH - there's no need to have your name written on anyway - its such a wall of sound that you hear your name even if its not known !image
  • Options

I'm a bit like Fleet Girl and am in OCD madness - I even have a bag in the hallway that I am putting all my stuff in ready for the weekend, my other half keeps referring to it as my 'maternity bag'!!!!

My first week of taper was awful, I felt so sluggish and really quite negative, but since then I've been like a sprung coil and have had to be quite considered about not being too fast in my remaining training runs. That said at any given moment I suddenly feel like I've got an ache, a pain or a strain and go into panic mode!

I'm still very excited and just want to get to the start line now, I'm going up to the Expo on Thursday and can't wait to get my number.

I've trained up to 20 miles so like other first timers the last 6.2 are a mystery, I think I'm going to be attacking the course in breakdowns of 5k and 10k so the last bit is likely to be a 10k or 2 parkruns for me.

As part of my fundraising I 'sold' miles to my close friends and family, on Sunday I will have all of their names written on my arm (and their corresponding mile) and will be 'collecting' them and thinking about them all the way. For instance my other half is mile 2 (to make sure I don't back out after the first one), my goddaughter is mile 4 and my dad is mile 26 image

It's my 40th birthday on the day, so I will be heading to any establishment that serves prosecco (after I've suitably hydrated, of course!) after the finish line.