Options

Big Woody

123457»

Comments

• Options

Fantastic result Seren.

As it was a craft centre, surely they could have carved a Big Woody for you?

• Options

Ooops.

Did I post that?

• Options

Blisters,,,I hope you mean as in the woodpecker bird.... image  image

• Options

Well done Seren great report.  I did the Little Woody two years ago and loved it.  Great shame if this was the last running of a true grass roots event.

• Options
    Chapeau Seren.

Never done the Big Woody, always meant to, but obviously missed out now. Done the Little Woody twice though
  • Options

Didn't finish but for someone who hadn't even done a half ironman it was a great learning experience. Put in a good swim and got out the water at 1.18 but got badly lost on the bike and did an extra 20k before refinding my route but losing the entire field. Felt like a long lonely ride to finish the first loop having clocked up over 65 miles. Didn't have the confidence to attempt another loop so quit and started the run. A bit boring to be honest. Doing a 2.8k run over and over. I couldn't face seeing those miserable kids at the far end another time so quit after doing the Little Woody 11 miles. A good training ride and I now have a better idea of what it takes to do an ironman. Thinkingg of trying a better organised event (and paying the price for it) such as Hever Castle next year. 

Good to meet seren and Terry and kicking myself for forgetting to pack my axeimage

Thanks to Vince and Trevor who worked tirelessly all weekend.

• Options

Great write up Seren.

From the longest event to the shortest, I completed the Whittle Woody. This was my first 'olympic' distance triathlon, having previously only done sprints.

I hadn't racked my bike on the Friday night as my start time of 7.45am was quite unreasonable so I decided to do it in the morning.

Woke up, ate some porridge, took the dog out, then decided in my infinite wisdom that I'd sort out the indexing of the gears on my bike because I couldn't get all the gears (they've been like this for months and not bothered me but for some reason I decided to fiddle with it on the morning of the race). Queue one little job turning pear shaped and taking far longer than it should have.

So I was now running ridiculously late, meaning a dash to dive centre, 'rack' my bike against the wall because there are no spaces left on the racks, grab wetsuit from car and run down to the water front with it under my arm. Everyone else is in the water already, so I quickly put it on, put hat and goggles on, jump in and immediately hear '10 seconds to go'. Phew I'd made it.

Swim was good, pulled into the lead early on and maintained it to finish 4 minutes ahead of second place.

Up to T1 for a slow transition and out onto the bike. Nice course with a few hills to break it up. got held up on a few downhill sections but that's the nature of riding on narrow public roads. I'd overtaken a couple of people but no one had passed me so just kept pushing on. Nearing the end of the bike I was caught and passed by Andy. Turned onto the main road and he didn't seem to be pulling away so I put a concerted effort in to pass him. I maintained this speed and came into T2 still leading.

I knew the run was my weakest discipline so headed out just waiting for when he'd come past. As predicted, half way through first lap he trundles past me. I keep my pace knowing any faster and I'd end up in trouble. I hold this position for the remainder of the run, being pushed into speeding up at the end by 3rd place man gaining slightly.

So cross the line in 2nd place.

Pleased with that result as, due to sporadic training, my only goal was to be out of the swim first.

Overall I really enjoyed the event so will be a shame if it ceases.

• Options

I really enjoyed the whole experience, it was a tough tough tough bike course, I think I called it sadistic at the time!!

I really hope its on next year as I want to break 6 hours for the little (6:03 this year) the encouraging thing was someone on the timekeepers desk said "are you coming back next year" so you never know.

• Options

He is getting out of the timing business apparently and the medals were engraved with the final woody so i dont think it will be on unless someone else takes up the helm

It could fit in with the series that DB Max is starting up of tough scenic halfs

• Options

Good read and glad you got into the last one if it indeed is. Would suit DBMAX portfolio so you never know.