Options

Friday 20 February

Comments

• Options
    A humble 3 miles in 29.55, but getting v excited about our twice-weekly lunchtime running group starting up again next week!

Good luck to all chaps & chappesses racing this weekend!
  • Options
    Afternoon All

I see the cold wind is ot putting to many people off running today

What: 3 miles am, 25 miles cycle pm
    Why: Tapering for 5 races on 5 continous sundays

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minks-didn't you fall a few weeks ago, or was that Lizzie? Hope you're ok and definitely hope you don't ever have to use your personal alarm!!

Angelis-are you doing Boscombe 5k tonight?
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hilly, yep that was me! Two falls in the space of two weeks, after nearly two years of incident-free running - very strange ...

The pavements on parts of some of my running routes are dreadful. Ironically, I'd just run on a recently-repaired section of pavement and was thinking how much better it was, when it ended and I fell over within two steps of the next unrepaired section! Perhaps I should complain to the council ...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    One of the ladies in my running club fell over on badly damaged pavement while out running and broke 3 ribs. She sued the council!
  • Options
    Hilly: Did she win?

I'm always falling over- I could make a fortune!!!
  • Options
    Greetings all, glad I'm not a brass monkey!

Just got in so haven't read thread yet.
    What: 18 long slow miles in 3.20ish
    Why: cos I can't fit an LSD in this weekend
    Last hard: Thursdays intervals
    Last rest: Monday

Run wasn't too bad considering. Fortunately was sheltered from the wind for most of the time but the few open stretches were not much fun. Slowed quite a lot towards the end despite the last couple of miles being downhill.

Right bath time then need to walk dogs. Catch you all later.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    NE-I believe she did, but not sure how much she got.

I was told her injuries were quite nasty!

I do know that the area that it happened still has NO street lights though, but the path is now in good condition!
  • Options
    Good going for a Friday Murf- well done!

Mike S- thanks for the good luck. Your experience of running along proms would be useful tonight!

Can't get used to the idea of racing in the evening. My usual race day routine involves haring around to get to the start line on time on a Sunday morning. Evening kickoffs giv too much time to think!

I've been pacing around the house wearing holes in the carpet, obsessing about whether I'm eating/drinking the right thing and trying to work out when I should set off to beat the Friday evening traffic since about 1 o clock!!!

• Options
    Hilly: the whole of my village has NO streetlights.

But the sky is great on a clear night :o)

If my local council had to compensate me for the psychological trauma of not being able to run they'd be bankrupt!

• Options
    Hilly, my hip/thigh does look like I've banged it but I haven't. Will have to get it looked at, although it feels a lot easier now.

Thanks

Minks, hope you're ok after your fall.
  • Options
    7 miles in Beecraigs in good company. Easy running except for 3 massive hills all done at full pelt. Good running.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Barbara - elbow and hip are a bit sore, but it didn't stop me completing last night's run and isn't likely to prevent me from going out there again tonight in the icy cold wind!

I have to say that some of the street lighting around my way is pretty poor, too. Sometimes whole sections of lights are out which makes running a real hazard. Although oddly enough I have never fallen over while on a badly-lit section of a run (there's always a first time though ...)
  • Options
    Afternoon all, didn't post yesterday so may as well put em both on now!

What: 7.5 miles steady (yesterday) 4.5 miles easy (today)
    Why: easing back for the National
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Wednesday

good luck everyone racing at the weekend, see some of you in Leeds
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Me I'm too chicken to run anywhere in the dark without lights!

It's trying to snow here! Can't imagine it turning to much though, but the sky is completely grey and it's sooooo cold!
  • Options
    Good luck NE.

TT, this `quaint little restaurant' of yours - was it the Filet-o-Fish or the Quarterpounder you had?:-)
  • Options
    Just back from my 17 miler - boy that was tough!

Did an out and back course - the first half was nice and steady, did it at about 7:10 pace. As soon as I turned around, I discovered one reason why it hadn't been too hard so far - a pretty strong tail wind that was now blowing in my face. Pressed on, despite legs tiring fast (had a tough week, having done 60 miles in six days!), and was quite pleased to do the second half at about 7:30 pace.

So overall, 17 miles in 2:05, which I'm very pleased with. Very glad that it's 9 days until my next long run, and even more pleased I've got a rest day tomorrow!
  • Options
    BR - A McSalad for both of us....{ahem}

Good practise for my beer and curry night - starting about one hour from now :o)

Enjoy the National

• Options
    Nice one Venom - I've got all that to look forward to on Sunday...

What are your plans re tapering for Bramley - are you going to do one? I thought I might take a rest day on Friday, but nothing more.
  • Options
    Evening,

Not run 'cos sulking, Went to replace my lighter trainers and had no joy. I am very impatient once I have made up my mind to buy something if it is not available so grumpy now.

Probably best I did not run so I am rested for a day trip to Leeds tomorrow, followed by 12miles on Sunday all being well.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend, esp those in the National XC.

Happy training/recovering everyone else.

Andy
  • Options
    Barbara - take it easy and look after yourself

Good luck to all those racing the nationals tommorrow.

What: Right leg still a right mess and not really clearing up but have now decided after my previous effort at rest failed to adopt the Ron Hill approach of doing my best to ignore it and running through. So today was an hours physio and being told not to run followed by gentle 5 miler at lunchtime.

Simon
  • Options
    What: easy 7 miles on trails
    Why: helping my son train for his first halfmarathon (and the daft lad is just recovering from a knee effusion the size of a rugby ball, brought on by a nightclub dancing injury, I ask you, the younger generation ! ).
  • Options
    Thanks SiT, I am not going to run over the weekend then we'll see. You sure you shouldn't be listening to the physio?! Take care.
  • Options
    Huw,

Not really going to taper for Bramley, no. Having to do my long run today instead of Sunday (away for a mate's wedding this weekend) will help, as there will be a 9 day gap between long runs. I'll do hard sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, probably nothing on Friday and not much on Saturday. Bramley is just a training run for me, I'm not racing it, so I'm not going to change much.

Won't be online again until Monday morning (possibly Sunday night), so for all those racing this weekend, GOOD LUCK. Looking forward to reading about all those PBs!
  • Options
    PS - it was DAMN cold, was very grateful for my tights, long sleeved top, hat and gloves. Especially with that ***** wind blowing in my face on the way back!
  • Options
    just over 3 miles
    LT 10 run

legs remain leaden
  • Options
    Evening all

About an hour doing random fartleks today. Had mini-Muttley alongside on his bike as "pacemaker", which is always good fun. So off we went along the towpath, nice and flat but a vicious wind at times.

Good luck to all concerned tomorrow!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    3 miles easy to fitness check dodgy left calf. Much better than Tuesday so fingers crossed for Sunday's 10 miler. Best of luck with your injury Simon, you seem to have a stubborn streak like me!

Best of luck to those of you in the Nationals at Leeds. Some of my clubmates are marshalling so they are under strict orders to give you all a cheer.
  • Options
    evening all

sorry to hear the injury doesn't seem to be progressing SiT. You're doing what I'd probably have done in desperation - trying first one approach then the opposite.

tonight: 9.3K run done in bang on 37:30. However, it was a crap run - wind was at least partly against for the last 2½ miles, dead against for the last 1¼. Humidity v low, and the cold dry air meant I got very quickly and badly gunged up on the return journey. Coughing and choking at one point 2 miles from home and really struggled after that. Took an eyeballs out effort over the last ½ mile to hit 37:30 as a result.

I've never thought of myself as being asthmatic, but this run in particular, along with getting the same symptoms periodically at Helsby, is making me wonder. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Phew......back from a cold and windy Bournemouth sea-front!

And back with a PB too :o)

Had a great race- felt really strong all the way. The track work must be paying off!

Hit 2.5K in 8:50 then came back with the wind behind me in 8:30. Result.....17:20 and 9th place!!!

Big grin on my face all the way home :o)