Options

Effect of weight loss on times

Comments

• Options

Er. Because he's called "Pie Runner" and is 17 stone 6?

Surely you could just mind your own business when comments aren't addressed to you personally. If Pie Runner doesn't find them helpful, he can say so.

And it wasn't "nutritional information". It was about eating less. Losing weight is simply about eating less. 

--

Please tell me you are just trolling and that you're not really this stupid?

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options

Colin - Pie Runner asked about the effects weight loss would have on performance, not how to lose weight, that's the point. 

Your points are obvious and not at all insightful. First time round they were not just irrelevant but came across rude and obnoxious. I am fairly sure with a name like 'Pie Runner' the OP would not take offence but that's not the point.

You seem to have your own agenda on this topic that blinds you to what the discussion is actually about.

• Options
  • Options
    Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Explain what's stupid?

I said "You are just repeating back to me what I have pointed out to you. Why would you make remarks that don't address the OP's question?" 

Your reply

"Er. Because he's called "Pie Runner" and is 17 stone 6?"

I think this is a stupid reply because there is no logical link between my question and your answer. If you had said "because I have my own agenda on this subject due to....... then it would have been a good answer.

• Options
  • Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Next time I have a question I might just check with you first Colin to make sure I'm asking the right question. It's good to know you're there.

• Options

What a twat you are.

Who put you in control, hey?

I will talk to Pie Runner about what I want to. Mind your own business. It doesn't concern you.

You realise there is a private message facility, I guess if Pie Runner really wants to hear more pearls of wisdom from you, that's an option. 

Oh and yes I can be a twat, but I normally have to be provoked by an idiot.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

There's a logical link, that it's the wrong question. Therefore I make remarks about the right question for someone of his/her build, with his or her running history. It makes perfect sense to me, and it probably makes perfect sense to Pie Runner.

The only possible way this can be true, is if you have two accounts and you are also Pie Runner.

• Options
    I suspect everyone reading this agrees with Reg.
  • Options
    Chris2304 wrote (see)
    I suspect everyone reading this agrees with Reg.

Yep  image

• Options
  • Options

he is less than three stones heavier than usain bolt.......

if someone came on her and was 13 stone and wanted to speed up would you say put on 2 stone to match teh weight of the fastest man  image

• Options

www.runningforfitness.org/calc/diet/weighteffect

Try this website and enter your times and current weight and it will calculate the effect of weight loss.Hope this helps

• Options

that website gives the calculator but then states that it is based on an unrealistic assumption...so basically not worth even looking atimage

important note: this calculation is based on the (unrealistic) assumption that the change in weight is not accompanied by any other change. In reality, losing weight may take you to below your healthy weight, in which case it will not result in an improvement in performance, and may result in illness. 

• Options

being lighter helps. works for me.

• Options

Well, like I said, surely you could just mind your own business when comments aren't addressed to you personally. If Pie Runner doesn't find them helpful, he can say so.

I can say what I want. It's the nature of the forum. If Pie Runner is running 25 miles a week and is still the weight he is, he doesn't need to look at speeding up, he needs to look at reducing his eating. I'm entitled to make comments like I have. If you don't like it, too bad.

So let me get this straight. You can say what you want, it's the nature of the forum but you get all pissy when comments are made about what you say?

You're right that you can say what you want and I actually find this to and fro all quite amusing. You are just repeating yourself now though.

I'd be interested to know why you have such firm if a little facile views on this subject?

• Options

I you are losing fat and not muscle mass I think the calculator is probably fairly accurate about 2 seconds a mile per pound as Cougie said in an earlier post.If Pie runner trains and eats correctly he  will be reducing his bodies fat percentage and his times will improve.

• Options
    The tricky thing is I suspect most people's absolute "optimal racing weight" for long distance running is far skinnier than anyone but a professional would really want to be. When you look at the top people they're mostly of a build which would have your friends and family begging you to do something the anorexia long before you got there!
  • Options
    seren nos wrote (see)

that website gives the calculator but then states that it is based on an unrealistic assumption...so basically not worth even looking atimage

important note: this calculation is based on the (unrealistic) assumption that the change in weight is not accompanied by any other change. In reality, losing weight may take you to below your healthy weight, in which case it will not result in an improvement in performance, and may result in illness. 

For me its hard to isolate because generally if I'm losing weight whilst training (usually after an injury when I've put on weight) then it's hard to know how much improvement is down to weighing less and how much is just down to being fitter through training. Too many factors at play to accurately estimate. 

Im sure somebody mentioned this above.

• Options
    I think the calculation works out ok bearing in mind the restriction.

Obviously if you havent any fat to lose then its not going to work - but it does mention it.

For those of us who might overindulge from time to time - its a guide at least.

MO FARAH STOP READING THAT CALCULATION RIGHT THERE.....
  • Options

Hi Pierunner,

I was pretty much in your shoes about 2 and a bit years ago, weight was around 17-18 stone, sometimes a bit higher.(18st 10lbs!) But a keen if sporadic runner.

My times two years ago were similar to yours, with a marathon pb of 4.25 though.

Then I started losing a bit of weight and improved a bit, then this year lost a lot of weight, currently at 13st, and Ive seen a huge improvement in times. 

HM down from 2.04 to 1.41, 5 km from 24.40 to 21.30

As well as eating healthy I have run more, as it feels so much better. So, I can't say its weight loss, better commitment, more miles, or anything. The important thing is it makes me feel so much better, I really don't give a shit whats causing it.  I know just how hard I worked to get that weight off,its tough.

I also discovered "Man V Fat" which, if you don't know, is an online support for blokes trying to lose weight. You decide the "method" of weight loss, but the online support helps you through those bad days!.... and its free!

• Options
  • Options
  • Options

oh please finish it, I was enjoying that.

• Options
    HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Just when I was getting bored, back you come. Cheers Colin.

• Options

Colin - I can't help feeling you have some issues you haven't dealt with. I was trying to move the story along. Trying to focus on you. You're making it very difficult for me to help you.

• Options

(the rest of my post has been lost, because this system loses data.

I can't be bothered to retype the thrust of it, in this case. You really aren't worth the time.)

Erm...

Reg Wand wrote (see)

Well, like I said, surely you could just mind your own business when comments aren't addressed to you personally. If Pie Runner doesn't find them helpful, he can say so.

I can say what I want. It's the nature of the forum. If Pie Runner is running 25 miles a week and is still the weight he is, he doesn't need to look at speeding up, he needs to look at reducing his eating. I'm entitled to make comments like I have. If you don't like it, too bad.

So let me get this straight. You can say what you want, it's the nature of the forum but you get all pissy when comments are made about what you say?

You're right that you can say what you want and I actually find this to and fro all quite amusing. You are just repeating yourself now though.

I'd be interested to know why you have such firm if a little facile views on this subject?

1. I don't "get all pissy" when comments are made about what I say. You're the only person making any fuss about this; you've shown yourself to be an irritating unthinking nuisance determined to persist in harassing me despite your recognition above, "You're right that you can say what you want"; which is actually a complete answer to any objections you may have, and I couldn't care less about what you think.

2. I responded to the part of the poster's request:

"I've been running for a few years with a marathon pb of 4.50, HM 2.02, 10k 54:00 and 5k 25.30. I'm pretty steady at 25 ish miles a week unless in marathon training. I am however very overweight and these times have been run at about 18 stone. I am currently 17 st 6 lb (hopefully on a long road to a more sensible weight) ... I just wondered if anyone had experience of losing excess weight ... Any help would be much appreciated"

with four simple, correct remarks about losing weight. I am entitled to do this, as a simple matter of freedom of expression. I am not breaking any laws by doing this. I am not violating any rules of the forum by doing this. The person who set up the thread hasn't raised the slightest objection. I have done nothing wrong.

3. The price of my responding is to be confronted by an arsehole (i.e. yourself), in my face repeatedly, demanding to know why I would do such a thing. When I say, because the guy's overweight, the arsehole decides the thread is only about speed, not about the poster's circumstances, and can only be about speed, therefore I can't address the poster's circumstances, it isn't permitted to even go there. The arsehole decides my comments are worthless anyway. The arsehole doesn't seem to appreciate I am having a conversation with someone else, not with him, so really it isn't any of his business, at least if the person I addressed my comments to d