Options

Any else gutted with their FLM performance?

Comments

• Options
    Did 4 hours 3.03 and yes I wanted Sub 4.

Did 2.52 in my 20 mile three weeks ago and 3.01 on Sunday. Still on schedule but slowed over the last 5. Had intended to get through the half in 1.53 rather than the 1.56.33 I managed and there went my sub 4 I think. Held up a bit i nthe first half but on the other hand I thought I was going down with a cold the whole week before the marathon so in some ways I probably did really well and will appreciate it later.

Do another ? I don't think so or if I do then might go for a smaller less crowded marathon and see if that works.

• Options
    I'm glad to hear there are some people as upset as me, been feeling rather silly.

I think what really grated is that you can't just do another one the week after when you foul it up.

And one tiny gripe (although I think I wouldn't care if I had done well) wasn't the finishers t-shirt absolute pants this year?!
  • Options
    oh yes you can
    anyone for stratford?
  • Options
    This thread has really cheered me up. I'm gutted with my time - got 4 hrs 32, and was aiming for sub 4. Felt OK with 9 minute miles for the first 11 miles, then got overtaken by the RW 9 minute mile pacers, and knew something was wrong as I could not keep up. I've done loads of training, but I did taper properly.

However, I felt ill with 2 weeks to go (the usual thing, cold, sore throat etc) but felt fine by the day itself. However, as an inexperienced runner I underestimated the impact it would have on me I think - I felt fine to do my day to day routine, but obviously running the marathon at under 4 hours was beyond me.

The hardest thing I've ever done was to keep going for the last 15 miles, feeling really crap and gutted - I just couldn't believe how bad I felt and it was such a shock. Dragging myself around 15 miles more and more slowly was very very tough, but the crowd helped.

At the end, I just felt really pissed off because I had trained so hard - no elation at all. It also meant that I couldn't enjoy the atmosphere on the way round which was a shame.

However, I'm determined to get in again and break 4 hours next time, stubborn git that I am. First things first, I'll have a rest, then I'm going to break my 10k PB. Then build up from there, and the next time the course will see it my way!

Commiserations to everyone feeling the same way as me, but think positively - if you are doing it again, it will make it all the sweeter when you do achieve what you want, having gone through what happened this time.
  • Options
    Cheer up people! I did paris 2 weeks ago and felt just the same. A knee injury and the need to take strong pain killers half way round meant I missed my 4h30 target and came in at 4h53. I was gutted as my training had been on target as had the first 15 miles of the race. I felt really down the next few days. But even though I still can't run because my knee is ****ed I do feel beter. You kind of get things into perspective after a week or so and realise that it is still quite an achievement and you can set youself new goals - marathon or otherwise. And I think you all did brilliantly to run in the rain with Jefrey Archer!
  • Options
    deffo post marathon depression I think - its the horror of coming back to work as well - talk about back to reality with a bump!

• Options
    Well said FB. I was peed off about my marathon time last year, in fact about the whole experience. The build up and excitement creates such huge expectations.

Having watched this year I was blown away at how hard the whole event is and the sheer grit and determination of everyone I saw. This is no small achievement to get around and if it took you an extra 10 mins or 2 hours that doesn't detract from what you've done. I am officially no longer being hard on myself and more concerning now want to do it again.
  • Options
    Know how you feel but wouldn't do another one in four weeks - wait for much longer and have a go when you are fresh and have the chance to train up for it properly, otherwise you may well get two poor times. I ran poorly last year and waited for 12 months and got it right this year. The wiat makes it ven more worth while.
  • Options
    I still have no idea if I'm happy or not about my time(and if it's right as I took 17 mins to reach the start) 5.26 and I only stopped once to see my g/f(and of course to pee)

I seriously undertrained as I had/have back problems. Started running a year ago and have done one half(2.16),One 10k and one 5k plus lone runs when I could.Longest ever run was 17.5 in 3.2 hrs.

Oddly, I feel fine too after the FLM. A bit stiff but no real pain and NO blisters at all! Happy to finish but almost like my 17.5miler was harder.

I raised over 3k for the Blue Cross, which is what mattered to me most. Maybe I'll see a chiropractor and get myself sorted and start training for real now.
  • Options
    I think I to claim the prize for most spectacular failure. Planned for, trained and reasonably confident of 4.30ish, actual time 5.53.38!

Not sure precisely what went wrong except that I was feeling a bit iffy on Saturday with absolutely no apetite and general queasiness. Felt better on Sunday morning, started out fine and on target for first 5-6miles and then wheels fell off, my mile splits dropped by a minute per mile over the next 5 miles and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Seriously considered quitting but the thought of assorted peeps waiting for me at various points around the course wouldn't let me.

I don't think I would've minded so much if disaster had struck at 18+ miles, that would have been more acceptable. But to fail so spectacularly so early on is something I am finding very hard to come to terms with. Right now my confidence is at an all time low and I'm dreading going out for my next run - which isn't planned till next Sunday, in case I find I can't.

I will not be doing FLM, or any other marathon next spring but that is not because of Sunday's experience, I had already promised myself at least 12months off from marathon training. However, Dublin 05 is pencilled in and I will now have to come back to FLM at some stage.
  • Options
    Forgot to say, on the upside my legs have never felt so good after a marathon before and it doesn't look like I'll be losing any toenails this year either!!
  • Options
    Hey Murf

Bad luck with that. I hadn't realised til I started that how you feel on the day makes so much difference to performance. I feel like I underperformed and feel really down today but not dwelling on it. I think I was totally overwhelmed by the crowds on route - just blew me away and I am still getting over it.

Dublin 05 for me too! In the meantime I am going to focus on my shorter race times!!
  • Options
    Good that you can see an upside!

But sorry to hear you had such a rough time, and hope Sunday is the perfect day for a run and you can't wait to get out there :-)
  • Options
    Its very hard when you no so early that your not going to make your time,all your motivation goes ,it happend to me on sun as well ,i only missed the halfway time by 2 mins but knew from my legs that i wouldnt catch up,ended missing it by 22 mins after that,never mind still a 9 min pb
  • Options
    I am really gutted. But I am taking a break. For me there is nothing to be gained by continuing to slog my guts out. I am going to get strong, come back and beat the pants off everyone!!! Fighting talk - don't you love it?
  • Options
    Smashy sorry did you not get the time you needed? I am so sorry!!

I am gutted as well trained for sub 3.45 okay would have been happy with Sub 4 but fell and triped at mile 6 over a stupid metal circle shaped wire it encased my feet and fell to floor cut and bleeding everywhere hips,knees,elbow hands I wanted to give up for a second and burst into tears but continued running knew I would not get my time, after 10 minutes was composed and focused very much in pain but nothing was going to stop me so did 4.18.I worked so hard for this my 1st marathon but I knew whilst still running I would do cardiff marathon In october and get the time I want!!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Well done Welsh Poppy... worth keeping going...

Oh the frustration of it...

Still leaning towards doing the run in 4 weeks.
  • Options
    That's terrible Welsh Poppy, hope you hit your target in Cardiff. It will be strictly half measures for me at Cardiff, a lovely course, but two laps of it is not for me :-)
  • Options
    Neil H - why not do Lake Vyrnwy in June its supposed to be a fast course and would give you more time to recover.
  • Options
    I was aiming for sub 3.30, had a GFA place so got a good start, then just started feeling really fluey at mile 6 (sore throat and really hot and sweaty despite being in vest and shorts) and like Murf just got slower and slower... lost my focus cos I was feeling ill, fell over at mile 15 and burst into tears! Managed 3.57, a 'pw', and for the first time ever wasnt sick and didn;t pass out at the finish line, so I obviously could have tried harder!

WelshP - it was lovely to meet you - how are all your cuts and bruises today?
  • Options
    I'll give that some thought... really like the idea of a marathon without 30,000 other runners. I manage my long training runs without crowd support and am sure me and my MP3 player will be just fine...
  • Options
    I have to do it again because it was such a brilliant day. I was 10 mins outside my target time but hey, who cares???
  • Options
    Hi Murf. Do NOT feel bad, you did well compared to me! I had hoped and trained for 4.30, and on the day at mil 13 i got cramp in my quads - i have never ever had cramp in any training or running before. I ended up in the St Johns Ambulance for over half an hour and was asked if I wanted to drop out! the temptation was there for 5 mins, but then I thought of the shame, and all the sponsors I had for the British HEart Foundation, so I shouldered on! I ended up stopping 3 times for physio treatment and because every tme i tried to run I cramped up. I walked from mile 19 to 25 and managed to jog in at 6 hours 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have felt totally deflated, do not feel I have completed it, and do not even feel I deserve the medal.

I want to prove that I can do it next year but...... So do not feel bad, you did really well. The crowd were fantastic though!

By the way did anyone get pissed off with Orange who did not manage to text anyone with our splits? I had family really worried especially as I was so slow!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Lee Troop (the Aussie in the top 10) had a good view on this. He said that there are lots of "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda's" but ultimately you've just got to be proud of what you acheive. No point beating yourself up over it.
  • Options
    I will try and hold that thought!
  • Options
    Ok Eldest, you can have the prize!

Have to agree the crowds were as supportive as ever despite the conditions.
  • Options
    Eldest
    well done for even finishing
  • Options
    My story isn't as bad as Eldest. I was on target for a 3.45 first marathon until I got a knee problem at mile 15. I stopped to stretch my leg, but found I could hardly walk. Then a physio appeared from nowhere to gave me some massage treatment. Next 11 miles were very painful, but I ran/hobbled to a 4.14 finish.

Feel a bit dissapointed, but would like to do an alternative (and less congested!) marathon to prove to myself I can reach my potential. And I've softened my FLM stance from Sunday's "I'm never doing that again!", to a nonchalant "don't know".
  • Options
    I wanted and had trained for a sub 4 and planned to run with the sub 4 pace group. I was runing with 3 club mates who I had trained with. We lost the pacer in the first 2 miles just through the sheer volume of people and us all being too short to see properly. We lost 2 mins in those miles and then several on toilet stop. The worst thing was having to continually dodge people for the whole of the 26 miles. I started in the correct pen (at the front of pen 6)but was just totally p***** off with having to pass people the whole race. I did the fastest miles of the race in the last 4 miles and felt great but finished in 4.04. Thought the spectators were unbelieable, really great, but would not do London again as too many people to run properly. To cap it all a train station was closed and we missed our flight back to Scotland and had to wait at the airport for 4 hours - not amused!