Options

Sunday 23rd May

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Managed to get into cleats on the bottom of the hill, which is a first! Anyway found the bike quite tough and got passed my some real super speedy guys!

Into T2, rack my bike, throw helmet into box, change into my trainers-thank goodness for elastic laces as I'm all weak and so stiff in my back and hips.

Off on the run-well I think that's what it was. Felt a bit awkward for the first mile or so. Very pleasant run, with a bit off road and a couple of stiles to get over, then a finish on the running track-very nice track too.

Times weren't great- 8.55 for swim and T1, 1.15... for bike and T2, then 30.55 mins for the run. 1hr 55 altogether. I'm not sure of my position and don't really care as it wasn't done to be competitive, not good enough at tri's for that. Great day and leg is feeling ok, just tired!

Lovely to see ne at the finish too!
  • Options
    What 40 to ?60 mins with BR Now the weather is so good,(at the moment anyway), must replace my bike that was nicked last year. Great for so called rest days

Well done the NE family

Popsider; enjoy. Don't train too hard :-)

Plodding Hippo; when there's a down you can be sure there always longer, steeper up.:-) Well done
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Godzilla. Sounds like you had a similar problem to me on the bike.

I just need to cycle faster or use my gears properly! I was disappointed in my cycle, but the course was tough! I can't wait to see the times of others to see how bad I really did.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Gosh, you've got me all excited reading about the tris!

NE, Niamh, well done indeed. Sounds like celebrations all round in your place tonight.

Well done Hippo, not bad going on a hilly course at all!

What: cross racing, that is, sailing, which was very satisfying partly because it was a perfect day for it, and partly because we came third in a pursuit race and kept some very respectable sailors firmly astern. Tis always a pleasure placing well in a Mirror dinghy in a mixed fleet, all the satisfaction of a mini keeping the ferarris at respectfully behind.

Achilles is making progress. A vigorous three times a day exercising, stretching and massging routine seems to be paying dividends. Mobility is definitely improved, and with improved mobility I am sure the danger of further damage will recede, which means

yippee, running again.

Actually, the sooner the better, as the rest of me is getting horribly stiff. Had to run for the train twice today, no ill effects, so we'll see what things feel like tomorrow.
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    I was going as fast as I could -flat out at points - but my bike has wheels about the same thicknes as the 125 motorbike i had lat year (and about 15st of Zilla pressing on them) I'd like to see where I came - one of the disconcerting things about swimming first is you do know how you are doing.
  • Options
    Well raced hilly and Godzilla - not something I'd do in a hurry! (esp the swimming).

Good battling in trying conditions, hippo.

NE,you trying to emulate Stifler for most races in a calendar month? Well done you and NE junior.
  • Options
    Poppy, you have mail!
  • Options
    BR: not in Stifler's league yet altho a quick count gives me 4 for the month and 17 for the year so far which took me by surprise!

I can think of a few people on here who must be ahead of that tho!!!

• Options
    wow
    I like the tri reports
    But as i cant ride a bike, that wont be me

NE--well done on your win yesterday, and to niamh

and good to hear that Stickless is running again
  • Options
    What ; 15 ish miles in 3 stages, quick- steady- quick as I had company in the middle
    Why; Marquis de Sade says so
    Last rest; Monday
    Last Hard; Still the moonwalk!

Lovely day, left home a bit later than planned and had to shift the 5 miles to the meeting point, had a steady 6 with the others, then a spurt home to be in time for the shopping expedition. Really should have taken a drink as was quite thirsty towards the end which is unlike me ........... beers last night must have dehydrated me more than i thought.

Well done 'zill and Hilly on the Tri's, hope everyone out there is having as nice a day as me!
  • Options
    race report from furzefield for me too

got there nice and early (just after 6am) then hung around a lot before my swim start. i was in the 6th wave so didn't get going till about 9.15ish.

anyway eventually we are in and away. i was aiming for around 14.30 in the swim (750m) but was happy with 15mins. its weird swimming in a pool that is longer than you are used to - nice pool though!

into T1 and a fairly quick change - i'm definitely getting better at that.

the bike course was hilly and tough. it was 20km with a small (maybe 2km) loop about 3/4 of the way round. the loop had one of the toughest hills on the course on it - although the village name "ridge" should maybe have given that away! anyway i rejoined the main route after the loop only to find that the girl i rejoined behind had obviously decided to give the loop a miss - cheating b****

T2 was very quick - only had to rack my bike and take my helmet off - T1 + bike + T2 55mins and I was very happy with that!

but now my lack of bike training is showing as my legs are not in good shape for the 5k. i kept my eye on the girl in front of me and found i was catching her on the hills but losing her again on the downhills. but i mostly kept up and we got round in about 31 mins. very slow - but i think a bit long.

overall 1hr42 which i was very happy with. i finished with a big grin on my face and remembered yet again why i find this sport so addictive :-)

i've now registered with milton keynes tri - my first olympic distance and first open water swim!!!!

• Options
    good racing hilly and zilla!

and good racing too hippo sounds like you had lots of fun in a slightly odd kind of way :-)

hope you feel better soon welsh poppy - good decision i think if you weren't feeling too well.

• Options
    What? Leg it for Lifeboats, 10k
    Why? coz BUPA Feetbeat in Hyde Park was too expensive
    Last hard? Thursday
    Last rest? Yesterday

Conditions were okay today, warm and a fresh breeze. Two laps on grass and narrow trails around Wimbledon Common, XC style. Unfortunately, no single piece on road (aka off road)! Ready, set, .. go! Kept it easy at the start, because I had no clue about the course. 4 guys were already slowly surging ahead, let them go and settled for the second group. Was running behind a big guy and let him do all the work. Leading woman was just hiding behind me. Thought better stick to them as they usually run even splits. Splits? Km markers were all over the place only spotted the 5km mark. The marshals were a joke and didn't give clear directions, at one stage we had to stop. Approaching 5km in 17:30 not too bad, for a XC race. Just kept going, second lap felt a bit easier, as you know where the holes are. Around 8km I was in charge and took over the group. The lady struggled a bit, but remained close. Getting serious now. Slowly closing in on one runner from the front group. Then big guy back in the lead and passed the slower runner, tried to get away, he ran the corners very hard, difficult to keep up. On the last bit on the grass he got away by 5m and I couldn't close down and settled for 5th or 6th place (not 100% sure need to wait for result). Time was good, in fact a PB 35:15!!! :D Traction was very bad on those trails. Maybe I should become a XC runner.

Now, I can read all other reports ..
  • Options
    well done triathletes!

Ruth - sounds like a good race to do. Well done.

NE - I forgot to say well done on your win - so well done!

I went to the track and logged up a total of 11 miles while my daughter was at a party. It included

4x 100 in 17s
    4 x 200 in 36s
    4 x 400 in 71s
    2 x 800 in 2:27, 2:31
    1 x mile in 5:23
    2 x 200 in 33, 31s

I was taking plenty recovery for each and just enjoying the session, while having nothing really in mind - just running as I felt fit. No-one else on the track apart from two teenage sprinters near the end. Enjoyable session - great way to kill a couple of hours.
  • Options
    well done URR - maybe all races should be as badly marshalled as that! XC is my best discipline - take it up - you know you want too!!!

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done M, that's very good transition times!

I a bit slow swim-bike, but fine on bike-run.

Good racing URR!

I too love off road races. I don't get to do 'pure' x-country as my club isn't affiliated, but do lots of multi-terrain-brilliant!
  • Options
    Some good races going on today and yesterday, congrats to all. Well done Hippo, sounds a great race running off-road, you'll be on the fells before you know it.
    15 miles off-road for me just done. Great day for running. Curry tonight, what could be better?
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Being called a "Triathlete" feels unusual, i mean you get used to "Runner" and then occasionally "Marathoner", but "Triathlete"?

I like it :-)
  • Options
    Oh gosh

hippo, well done, a great race - off-road is fun, but times are always slower, so the fact that you were so close to you'road time' for that first 10k may mean that you have talent in this area - whatabout a nice fell race this summer? (and I am SERIOUS!!!!) . They are often held on weekday evenings and start at a pub, what more could youwant.

hilly, M and Godzilla - great efforts, and ace reports, can't wait to be doing the same myself
    -----------------------------------------
    Well, I am completely p*ssed off.

Went to climbing wall for a bit - used to climb a lot, hardly do it at all now, so good fun.

On way home stopped at convenience store to buy a load of bread.

At the checkout - oh, forgotten my purse

Sprinted across car park to car to get my purse...

....fell off the walkway outside the shop and landed in the gravel below with my foot twisted under me.

Result? A lovely swollen ankle, a strained ankle ligament I think, not too bad but the damage is done. currently doing the RICE thing, but this will mean a week off running and a few days off cycling. and it HURTS! :-( Still, it could have been worse.

Enjoy your curry Loz . Yum
  • Options
    Well done trilathletes - M, Zilla and Hilly

Crcaking reports yesterday from barbara ad aardvark for the w peak half. bravo.

what: recce run for Surrey Hill race. so compass map and 2 water bottles necessary for 2hrs going round in circles for about 11 miles and up some of the biggest hills in Surrey. beautiful views from Leith, Holmbury and Pitch Hills. Not sure I went the best route and doubt I could do it again. will be interesting to see how the race goes in 2 weeks time when I'll need to nav at race speed. Impossible to run this without map/compass.

Knee a bit too stiff for my liking at the end :-(
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Rather you than me sfh legs!:o)

Lizzy-what are you like!! I hope it heals quickly for you!
  • Options
    oh Lizzy - hope it heals quickly. injuries like that always seem the most annoying!
  • Options
    Lizzy so sorry about the ankle hoping for a quick recovery!

URR again great racing and another 10k PB well done!

Hilly, M and Zilla loved the reports really getting in to them well done, sorry to hear about the chain coming off - my worst nightmare me thinks with clipless! wanna now do some Tri's myself to see how things are coming along!

M glad you decided to do the Olympic - you'll love it!

SFH Legs I was in parts of Surry today while out cycling not sure how far away from you but hit some monster hills I kept on seeing signs for Heaver Castle if that helps - but the veiws were amazing!

Donaldo good track work session!

Hipps well done on your race today sounded tough but also sounded enjoyable!
  • Options
    M., 'zilla and co - you almost make triathlon sound like fun !

Glad you're running well after yesterday, Barbara.

I had a good time in the Gt. Manchester Run today - the way the course is configured, us slower runners are going out along the right hand carriageway of Chester Rd just as the elites are storming home along the left - so you are only a crash barrier away from Paul Tergat, Sonia O'Sullivan, Tracey Morris etc. Brilliant day.
  • Options
    Oh and I struggled through the heat and the crowds to get in just under an hour, shaving 10 seconds off my pb (now 59:40).
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

AM

What: Mowing the jungle that's claiming to be the garden
    Why: Before some Hollywood producer plans to film the next Tarzen movie here

PM

What: 6¼ mile run, partly off road
    Why: Meant to do long run this morning with one thing or another couldn't fit it all in so decided must run today so managed to get some sort off run in. I will do a long run probably on Tuesday as i will finish work early. Have a race next sunday but its only a warm up run so a long run 5 days beforehand won't be a problem will it.
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last Rest: Tuesday (i think)

Well done NE + Niamh
    Hippo you did grand fabulous work
    Hilly, zilla and M Great tris from you lot Well done
    URR - a pb sub 35 mins for you its getting close

Sorry if i missed anyone will come back later and read more reports
  • Options
    What ; 2 hours out there along the lakside of El Calafate
    Why; Been walking for a few days - so no running for 4 days
    Last rest; Yesterday
    Last Hard; Last Sunday

Glad to see a few race reports, sorry to hear of a few injuries. Scenery here is excellent but the weather is getting cold. Can´t have everything I suppose (and also I´m hoping an early ski season comes with the cold!)
  • Options
    Well done LynneW on that new PB - and in this heat too!
  • Options
    well done all racers
    get well soon all those whose hurting
    what?
    a/m 8m easy
    dinner 6m easy
    why?
    dunno just felt like it
  • Options
    Zilla - Brilliant, well done! You will see it's not a big deal to do Olympic or 1/2 IM, you should tri it out!

NE - Cool! A win is a win! Be proud of yourself, the kid did do well too :)

M. - Well done! Open water swimming is more fun, something to look forward.

Donaldo - Running XC would mean I would have to give my unaffiliated status and join a club. And I like my socks white after the race too!

hilly - First multi terrain race, prefer it simple, wide flat roads and no turns! Well done on your tri.

Off road Hippo - A positive race experience, so much more rewarding than BT. Isn't it? :)

LizzyB - Hope it is nothing serious, swift recovery.

LynneW - Brilliant PB! Seen the coverage in BBC2.