Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jen, i had planned on doing a 5 mile race on Easter Monday. It is flat and a definite pb course, that looks less likely now, thats of course if i'm not working, still don't know.

So plan B is a 3km race in June, see if i can blast it 13;30 would be nice (4:30 a km) But we'll see)
    Shouldn't reveal my intentions, things never go to plan. lol
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean about saying what you hope for. At the moment I am applying for a job that I really really REALLY want (I can't remember the last time I wanted a job this much!). It would be SO perfect and I am SO excited by it, I just know it isn't going to come off! But that won't stop me spending hours on the application form!
  • Options
    Jen Pass on my well-dones to Gareth! I hope your race goes well today (I'm sure the excesses of yesterday won't hurt you!)

Pammie Hang in there! We all have to keep reminding ourselves that running isn't the most important thing in life. Here's hoping that your mum recovers quickly.

Me? I'll have run my highest mileage week ever this week - 83 miles. And my legs don't seem to be too wrecked by it either! I still don't have any plans for racing in the next few months. I want to get some proper base training done and I'm half-thinking about a proper crack at the local cross-country season next winter. There will be several low-key local races in the summer that I'll be able to have a go at, I'm sure, but they're not exactly target races!

Hope everyone else is good too.

Dave
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hi Dave! I thought you are taking it easy?! I guess you are sleeping well with that kind of mileage.
    The subject of a thread meet came up a while ago and I boldly (rather selfishly!) suggested Cardiff half or full marathon. Perhaps that could feature in your low-key plans for the year....????

Has anyone else thought any more about that? I am about to sign up for the half....

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    **** RACE REPORT **** ATLANTIC COLLEGE 10K ****

Had a stonking hangover yesterday and felt it was hanging around a little this morning, but I thought of the momento and the club championship points and decided, what the heck! Did a bit of a warm up and felt great so ready to take it on.

The race is sold as fast, but not flat. First 5k is up a bit, second 5k is mostly down, but it has a couple of up's too. I warmed up along the first km and thought the initial up was very up, so just hoped for the best.

As it was, the 1st km passed quickly because when surrounded by lots of people you can forget how hard you are working - sometimes why I guess people can set off too hard. THere were a lot of students doing the race and lots of banter between them all. And also a lot more people stopping in the first 3km than I have seen in a long time - I put it down to over-excited students in the main.

On the first down hill I let the brakes off and 'fell' down it. Got some comments about it too "oo! No brakes" and "hey, speedy!". and then "that was good wasn't it?!" as I pulled away. I rarely see anyone else doing this on downhills - why is this???? I overtook the local lady I always beat here too. I saw her registering and made sure to keep an eye out for her! I wonder if she knows I target her!?!

Happily trotted along 5:30 km's I think I seemed to be averaging. The mile splits were 8:39, 8:29, 8:08 for the first half I think. I was feeling comfortable and enjoying the sunshine. Though it was a bit chilly when I put the sun cream on at 10:45am, I was so glad I did by half way round!

The scenery was lovely - it reminded me of the Montargis half actually. Felt very much out in the middle of nowhere and knew I had some downhill to make the most of. I spotted the club's vet 60 and saw he was doing really well. It took me about 10 minutes to catch him too! But catch him I did. In the last 2 miles now and just kept thinking about getting a fast couple of miles in.

Took it up a notch and still felt comfortable. Pushed a bit on a hill and got 8:33 for my 4th mile. I hate that cos I felt let down, but knew it had been a hard mile. The following mile made up for it - 7:33!

Enjoying the last mile, pushing past people, take in the downhill as I get back to the start. It was definately a steep climb in that 1st km because I come pelting down that one, taking about 3 places as I go. I'm taking it on the outside and I get a "well done Islwyn!" - I love that! I decide that pelting downhill is a good thing.

Last km and a little bit of undulation before the last home straight. I realise I am amongst a fair few people - all male I think, so no female ranking to chase! But I take it on. Run down as fast as I can - the final straight is a down hill too! I see a flash to my right and its Gareth with the camara so I have a big grin on my face for the last stretch! There is one guy ahead of me - I can take him! And I do - just on the line. He was slowing down anyway, but I am afraid I don't slow down til I am finished!

Straight into the funnel and have to stop dead (I really don't understand how people do that either!). Get out the funnel and jog around a little - still grinning. Find Gareth, realise I didn't get my mug! So go back and get that. Stopped watch too late but it said 51:25 which is probably about right since I didn't start it until I reached the start line. Fairly pleased since I ran the first half at about 55mins pace. Just want to see the results now!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    You sound as if you are buzzing. A good race, well done. I don't know how you remember so much about your races, for me it becomes one painful blur!! I am fairly good on downhills too, I looooovvvvveeee them. Only trouble is one sometimes has to suffer the next day going down stairs. I just hate stopping dead too, I am sure that it is very bad for one. It sounded a very pretty race. Let us know how you stand when the results come out.

You are getting there.

I hope you keep your grin for a day or two or three! I forgot to congratulate Gareth on passing his test. I also wish you every success with your new job application,
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Jen - well done, you are getting back there. I can certainly see you grinning from ear to ear.

a good time with more to come.

Thanks ATMF. todays run 1 mile was easier than yesterday still puffed out but not as much as yesterday. Legs could go on for more but lungs/heart wouldn't have. A little short of stamina. will run a little further next time.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Thanks ceal.
    It was a beautiful location. It is on the coast too and all to one side of you is just sea. It wasn't too windy though - probably because there are huge feilds between the college and the sea. Fantastic place.

I think I am getting there. It is just taking ages. I know there are little things I am not doing here and there. I guess I really need to be strict with myself. Things like hydrating enough, eating properly, not drinking too much...

I have 4 weeks to my triathlon. I really need to sort my body out I think!
    I have 3 weeks to my next race - a flat 5 miler. I really hope to be getting sub-40 for that.
    Right. Focus time.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Thanks Pammie! x-post!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen do you include speed intervals and tempo running in your training??

I too had a touch of the drink too much syndrome today! Not as bad as you. I only had a large pub glass of red wine. I can only conclude that I was dehydrated, did not have enough food inside me when I drank it and that the wine, although it tasted OK, must have been of a suspicious quality. I had no headache but felt exhausted this morning (I had a norun day yesterday, so running was not at fault), and kept having nauseous waves come over me. Need I go on!!!! However, I was determined to run my long run, I hydrated well and off I set and in fact ended up running 11 slow miles. I had to stop for several loo breaks, but after the run I felt revived. I thought it may have finished me off altogether! But luckily no!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I am trying not to do the speed thing at the moment. I am just working on a base. That said, club runs tend to be verging on tempo runs occasionally - though I think acutally my fitness may have improved such that they are actually only a little bit faster than running on my own.
    The Friday runs I do at work are a bit random, and sometimes I have had to work at tempo pace for those. But at the moment it is all unstructured, preferably slow miles!

I have to admit, I am not entirely sure how many large glasses of red wine we had on Friday. I was trying to convince myself that it was only 4 glasses, but it must have been more like 6. 2 bottles of wine. All for me! Oh dear.

Still, I won't be doing that again any time soon! Even just turning over in bed made me feel ill! And that whole exhausted feeling just sucks. I really did want to go out for a run, but given that moving was difficult, I just made it to the pub... for a breakfast with a pot of tea!!!

Have a week of work this week so will be hoping to run or swim every morning. But we have to sort out the loft and do a really thorough spring clean. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    I forgot to mention, I certainly didn't mean to infer that you should have run with your dreaded hangover, I can still remember such days many years ago when I felt like that, and as you say "no way" could you do much that day at all.
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Got my official time!!
    No PB but 50:37 is a fair bit faster than I thought it was going to be!!!!!

I am sure if I hadn't been ill and kept myself in some fit state the week before, I could have been sub-50 quite comfortably!

YAAAYYYY!!!!!

315th out of 554 runners I think. Not sure of the standing in female only finishers.

Right. GOt to get back to the spring cleaning!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    nearly a min faster than you thought, that has to be good, you must be pleased with that. A respectable finishing position too.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Good one Jen

Sadly i have to work Bank Holiday Monday.

Off on Friday though
  • Options
    Good one Jen!
    I am hoping to go sub 60 on my 10k on Monday! Be my last run of any real note before London but want to make it a good one!
    Its flat so I should do it but we shall see. Used to the undulations now!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Rio Fair
    all the best for your 10k, we look forward to hearing how you get on.
  • Options
    Jen Well done! Hopefully that shows your in decent shape for the last leg of your triathlon 8o)

Pammie I have to work Friday, but hopefully not Monday so I feel your pain! Bah!

Rio Fair Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi all
    I knew I shouldn't have said anything about it being quiet on the thread-

Jen* Belated congrats to Gareth on passing his driving test - you can now just hand him the map and point the car in the direction of the next race - great race report too - good luck on the job application and no shirking with the spring cleaning ( well just a bit maybe!!)

Pammie - ooh that chest injury really sounded painful - hope you have a quick recovery and get back to form again

RIo fair - good luck on your 10k

ATMF - 83 miles - good grief - that makes my marathon training pale into insignificance

CEAL - brilliant race - taking 4mins off someones long standing record is some going - you don't do things by halves

(Hope I haven't missed anyone out)

I did my final long run of 18 miles on Saturday (and because my long run had been on Sunday of the previous week it meant I ran 50 miles in one week - not intended but just the way life fitted in !!!)
    Anyway, it was a good run but a little windy and I did it in 2.46 which is only a couple of minutes behind marathon pace which is a bit naughty really as it was supposed to be a much slower run . I am really going to need those pacers on race day to rein me in -otherwise I am going to ruin the whole thing by setting off too
    fast.
    Anyway, tapering now with some short speedy runs (just as you said Ceal) and a 12 miler at the weekend. Finish work today until 25th April so a busy time with kids outings etc but hopefully some rest time too.
    Hope everyone has a great Easter and if I don't manage to log on before the race I'll try to give a good report - although not your standard Jen* - you have a photographic memory!!!

Good running everyone
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.

Carol - in case you peek in: All the best for your marathon. You have done such consistent training I'm sure you will be fine and I look forward to your report!

Many congrats to Gareth and good luck in his new function as Official Driver.

Jen* - you are doing so well. I much enjoyed reading your race report as always and can only wonder what you'd be capable of when fully recovered, hydrated etc. But already a fantastic time!! I envy you being able to run downhill with confidence. That always makes me very nervous about falling.

Ceal - much admiration for your 10 miles on the previous page. I think I would have stayed in bed if I felt like that.

ATMF - brilliant training as usual. Marriage definitely seems to agree with you... is Mrs a runner?

Rio - run strong in your 10k!

As for me, well I had a fantastic weekend in Alsace and a run/walk/scramble in the mountains on Sun. Nearly two hours in all. Since I got back it has been just one damn thing after another but I finally got out for a slow 6k this morning. My shins are feeling a bit sore (a lot of driving always does that to me) and reckon I'm slightly out of condition (not run far lately!) but I'm hoping to get back into proper training very soon...
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the nice words everyone. I have to admit I am still frustrated with myself. Getting back into the shape I was in last summer is proving tricky! I have a 5 miler in just under 3 weeks and I really hope to be close to 38 minutes (my PB) on it. I will be working hard (not necesarily training - other aspects of my life - DIET! - are effecting my performace too!) to make sure I do as well as I can for it.

Rio - Hope to see you Thursday. I realised my excuses were stupid and I went to club last night in the end!. (for those who haven't twigged - Rio goes to the same running club as me!).

Did one of the clubs summer routes yesterday... good grief!!! Tony called it 7-ish miles..... I am going to check my ordanance survey maps now as i think it was closer to 9....!!!!! Down the hill they affectionally call "the beast". !! I was getting cross country flash backs - it was awful! Still, very glad I went, and it was fun. The views were amazing!

Just done some mosaic tiling in the bathroom. Looks like I am about to run out of tiles though so will pause for an early lunch and then get rid of some rubbish and buy more storage solutions and more mosaic tiles! I just hope come Tuesday this is all worth it!
  • Options
    Escargot My wife is not a runner. In fact, she thinks I'm absolutely mad for enjoying running! Fortunately though, she is very tolerant of my madness.

Jen That sounds very much like DIY. Scary 8oS. I second your comment about how important diet is (not necessarily in the weight-loss sense). I find myself being so much more awake when I've got the proper amount of vitamins and so on inside of me.
  • Options
    I will be there tomorrow Jen. hope they arent doing speedwork or anything silly, just a gentle plod for me. The summer routes are much longer than the winter ones arent they?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    not a good timing for a diet. All those easter eggs:-((
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Dave - definately DIY - though the more creative/pring cleaning type rather than tile cutters and drills... We have a little wooden box in our bathroom that I think is only there so there isn't a hole above the stairs. It has been blue and dirty all the time we have been here and I bought these mosaic tiles in July 2002 so I thought I should get round to using them! It is now decorated and not too bad to look at. Nicer than grimey blue at least!

Have also cleared out under the stairs today, put another set of shelves in the "for charity shop" pile and 2 more boxes of stuff and another set of shelves in the "for the loft" pile. It's all go chez Jen! Not quite running, but achievements nontheless!!!

ceal - I know - bad timing for focussing on what I eat. What is worse is I am fairly sure Gareth was out and about today as I was getting lost on my way to buy tiles......!!! Last year I got the biggest lindt bunny in the world. A whopping 1kg of chocolate. And it was gone within a week! I can't face that this year! (well I could, but I don't want to feel that I have to resist! On the other hand it might encourage me to get out the door a bit more.....!)

Rio - will text you about tomorrow. I am definatley staying away from the hard session tomorrow (I think that is what Thursday's are all about now) You know me, I'm a wimp!
  • Options
    Morning Jen. I dont mind the hard sessions but it is just too close for anything to go wrong now!
    See you tonight maybe.

I have a great plan when it comes to chocolate. I now tell people it gives me an upset stomach (which it does when I eat the amount that I can!) So I dont get any!!
    Although I have asked for one of the 70% dark chocolate egs this year as I can only eat a tiny piece of that before I have had enough!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    That is a very good approach to chocolate!
    I do have a bit of a problem with milk chocolate myself in that some chocolates can give me a sore throat. I can feel it almost burning the back of my throat - it is very odd. But I only really notice it when I haven't had chocolate for a while. It is only really the cheap chocolate that does it to me - so Lindt for example doesn't have that effect......

Didn't make it to club but gareth shoved me out the door so I have a nice little 5.5 miles under my belt now! I was astonished actually - all of them were sub-10 mins. The first three were sub-9!!! I decided Garmin was playing up on the first two and not to get my hopes up for the third but when they all clocked in sub-10 I figured resting every other day is good for me! I am assuming some sort of reduced mileage effect. I hear of people stacking up the miles and the tiredness in their legs effects their training pace for a while. I am perhaps experiencing the opposite....??!

My desk room has floor!! And I can actually SEE my desk! And I have yet more stuff for the loft and charity shop, and more rubbish to add to the pile. Today has been super productive now! Just off to do a bit more tidying while Gareth finishes off cleaning the oven and then he is treating me to tea.

Have lots of lovely long weekends people!
  • Options
    emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    I am running the 10km Chiquita banana man race in June. I am looking to start a proper training schedule, but as I am at uni, time is very limited. Does anyone have any ideas for a running schedule that will help? Currently I can run 5 miles in about 47 mins, and I have managed 10km (run 10 mins, walk 1 etc) in 60:00:54. I was planning to get my time under 60 mins if possible, and hopefully run the whole way.
    Thanks
    emzap
    PS I am also recovering from a twisted ankle, so need to start off very gently!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Hi emzap!

I am not one for schedules, though I understand they work for a lot of people. I think there are a fair few schedules available on this site that cater for a range of abilities so you should be able to find one that suits you. My own personal tips (I will try and keep it brief!)....

Run easy - i.e. run at a comfortable pace where you could hold a conversation fairly easily. This will train your heart more effectively than if you run each session all out.
    If you are just starting out, think about time on your feet rather than distance, and increase one of your training sessions each week. If you have been able to be out for 60 minutes (not sure whether the achievements you have noted here are in a race or from training) then aim to be out for 65 minutes the following week. 70 minutes the next - before you know it you will be training for 90 minutes and it feels great!
    As you get fitter and more confident (and your injury is completely better!) you may think about increasing the distance/time of your other runs, but only do what you are comfortable with.
    If you can build up to it, I would recommend trying to cover the race distance as often as possible, since you are running a 10k. It is a huge confidence booster and if you are able to run over that distance regularly (e.g. maybe your longer runs will cover 15km every week for a while) then you will find the 10k race a doddle.

Some programmes suggest speed training too. I have read different things about this and I have come to the conclusion that too much too soon is more likely to end in injury rather than noticable differences in speed. You might like to try some of your sessions a bit faster than normal - it's good to get the legs thinking about how fast you want them to go! - but always warm up and cool down. If you are just starting out I would be tempted to stick with steady/easy running and maybe just do a few faster sessions if you fancy a change. There are lots of ways to incorporate speed in a fun way too which is helpful since fast stuff is mentally draining (I find it is anyway!).

I am sure others will have more advice and thoughts on this. There are some very experienced people on here who know their onions!
    Keep us up to date on how you go!