Options

Asics Blackpool Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Paul & No 8 - I'm also doing the Richmond half on May 15th, although have not received my number yet. Have any of you guys?
  • Options
    s1m, I did Robin Hood marathon last year chasing a sub 3.15 as just missed out in FLM, 3.17.

Enjoyable event but not a race to chase a time. First part through Nottingham itself and fairly undulating. Second part round national watersports centre at Holmes Pierpoint, very boring running up and down alongside a lake.

Have heard also that Cardiff is quite fast.
  • Options
    Hi John,
    Good luck with your running. I too am aiming for 3 hours, but i'm not sure how possible that'll be at the moment. I'm doing the south cheshire 20 on the 8th may as a training run, so i might have a good idea after that. That advice on the hydration matter is very useful! - do all the sports drinks contain ample sodium etc etc which would make them better than water? I've always thought that being thirsty meant you are already dehydrated!

I don't do many races so i'm not fully sure how high to aim for this!
  • Options
    Does anyone know how many people normally do the full in this race
  • Options
    Taff BoyTaff Boy ✭✭✭
    Noel & No.8 - not yet actually entered but will do so next few days . Have you done it before ? Any idea if flat , hilly , lots of peps etc ?
  • Options
    Vassy; I have had that line rammed down my throat time and time again in recent years - Thirst is a poor indicator of hydration as it is the first symptom of dehydration! But reading the stiff on hyponatraemia - it seems that the scientific thinking is NOT at odds witht hat, but simply the fact that the only safe way to ensure you're NOT overhydrating is to be governed by thirst - i.e. providing you're satisfying thirst you are holding dehydration at bay... by drinking for the sake of drinking in order to prevent thirst and dehydration there is absolutely no way of knowing how hydrated you are.

In terms of sports drinks - this AGAIN, is something I screwed up on... I made a conscious decion months before the event NOT to touch the Lucozade Sport on offer on the course (- you'll find evidence of that decision on the sub 3 FLM Forum) - my thinking being that I've never found any energy left from the drink but I DO FEEL A LIFT FROM GELS... so I decided to take 3 or 4 gels with me and just drink water... At 10 miles when the cramps started I started to consume the gel (maxim) - it did give me an energy lift but minimal and did nothing for the cramps... it wasnt until sometime AFTER completion that I looked att he label and realised that the maxim gel contains pretty much 100% glucose - NO SODIUM or other electrolytes! I was shocked.

So you're absolutely correct to make the electrolyte content of the drinks a massive consideration.

Interestingly - most of the US marathons apparently offer salty snacks from about halfway - generally pretzels... so if you've got anyone spectating out on the course it may be worth getting them to hand you a handful on the way round - especially given the possibility of high temps and excessive sweating.

In terms of how high to aim, my advice is to simply throw caution to the wind and go for it... 3 hrs means roughly 6min50s miles... You'll hear alsorts of advice regrding negative splits, others saying run a constant even pace and others saying go out hard, get minutes in the bank and cling on to the finish... My advice is to just go with how you feel on the day... I've run no end of races where I've started with masses of trepidation, thinking I'm going to run a bad one but within the first couple of miles everything changes... and likewise - I've run other races where everything was going perfectly to plan and then its all gone to pieces...

The best advice I can give is aim high and just go for it.
  • Options
    Paul

I've not done it before, but according to entry form it's a "fast flat one lap course".
  • Options
    John H

I set my PB at London of 2.45, but i was looking to go under this to potentially get a championship place for next year, hence why i was looking for a flat one later this year.
    Thanks for the advice on the Robin Hood, u say 'knowing the area', i take it its a bit depressing as a marathon course?

FatBoySlim - cheers for advice, i take it you didnt achieve a fast time at Robin Hood last year
  • Options
    s1m - yes - you sum it up nicely... depressing.. the first half is nothing special... the second half is just DESOLATE... If it's your last hope, then yes, its got to be worth a shot... but I personally would make it my very last resort!
  • Options
    John H,

Thanks! I have been following your posts with interest. they have "set me free" as we say in our house!

I tried Jelly Babies, but realised they too do not contain electrolites. I di a mara this weekend and I think I suffered from over-hydration. It was hot, so I drank a lot on the way round, and before the race.

I am going back to gels, (with salts) and not going to get too hung up about staying hydrated. Think I know my balance now.

My problem on Sunday was that I over-hydrated, my gastric emptying rate shut down, so the water was not getting through properly. After the race I could pee for the British Olympic team.
  • Options
    John H
    Again thanks for the advice, Abingdon (October) could also be a contender, would appreciate any info again from the forum on this one !!
    GIVE ME FAST AND FLAT
  • Options
    s1m - just bear in mind the qualifying date for a championship place - October will PROBABLY be too late? May I ask WHY the desire or a championship place?? Becuase with your time, you'd be guaranteed a London entry on GFA times alone...
  • Options
    s1m,

I did Blackpool and Abingdon last year, but they were my first and second marathon, so I don't know if my memory is correct on this. Abingdon was fast, but Blackpool is faster and flatter. there are some rises at Abingdon, but not of any concern. I was 15 mins faster at Abingdon than B/pool, but that was training and experience. This June I will knock 30 mins of last June easily!!! If you can cope with possible heat, Blackpool is the one for a PB. If you miss your time, then get on down to Abingdon.

Both these races are also well organised, so it makes life easier!

I am doing the two of them again!
  • Options
    John H
    Realise i will get GFA, just think im capable of doing 6 minute miling, and was a bit disappointed at FLM, but it just proves im not there yet !

BiaStai - Impressive that you went 15 mins faster at Abingdon. I too was thinking of using the summer to get some speedwork in. Appreciate the advice
  • Options
    S1m Think dates for championship entry (sub 2.45) are different than for us mere mortals so you may have an extra month or two, try contacting FLm or the guys at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/runfastUK
    i will be searching for sub 3 at blackpool having failed miserably with 3.10 at Shakespeare
  • Options
    LeviLevi ✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    Blackpool last year was my first mara, I will be back this year for what will hopefully be my 4th marathon completed. I agree with Biastai that this is the one for a personal best (depending on the weather).

Ordered new 'go faster' trainers especially for this one, just the small matter of training now...
  • Options
    legend or not--time for me to dip out of this thread
    too slow
    :(((
  • Options
    Don't do that Hipps, or I will feel lonely here. Last year there were plenty of us trotting along at the back. So slow runners, come out of the closet - and Ron, could you save a few jelly babies and choccies for those of us who take more than 4 hours ;)
  • Options
    and if you take over 5 hours you can count on the water stations running out the finish wont be signed and you will get lost

Its great at the back!
    (sorry-have had enough of today)
  • Options
    don't go hipps or I'll never speak to you again!!

I find the talk from the faster runners on this thread intriguing, even though I know I'll never get anywhere near their fantastic times. It's all valuable information and much of it can be put to good use by us 4 or 5 hour plus runners.

Now, who's going to do the big dipper?
  • Options
    Apologies for having hijacked a good thread relatign ot what is clearly a GOOD, FRIENDLY MARATHON...

Let me simply say this - there is ROOM FOR EVERYBODY... I take my hat off to the guys and girls that have the gits and drive to stay out on a course for 4, 5, 6 or more hours.

Nobody is inferior - the common bond is that we all get out there and have a go, some of us are naturally blessed with genetics, physiology, build, some of us have to train clever, but ALL OF US have to put the effort in and we're all equal on that.
  • Options
    Paul / Noel, entered Richmond a few weeks back, haven't had any details through and know nothing about the course!
  • Options
    hey ph . . . c'mon you know its all about
    completing not competing . . .
  • Options
    Apologies from me too, totally agree with John H. Although im not naturally blessed (certainly didnt feel like that training through the winter), WE ALL put it in and WE ALL share in the same madness that is Marathon running.
  • Options
    Hear Hear JH and s1m,

Its all about doing it, and thats the bottom line.

s1m - 3.27 at Robin Hood last year.
    Course wasn't all to blame, got carried away with the half marathoners, pb at half way. Blew up at 22 miles. Lesson learned.
  • Options
    Ill be sick on the big dipper

No ta

Right-where are the decent pubs
  • Options
    (still correct about what happens if you are over 5 hours---20 marathons has proved that)
  • Options
    Biastai

ta for advice, Abingdon threads give excellent write up, (now im really not sure what to go for, cant cope with doing both)
  • Options
    Abingdon is a pb course