Options

Asics Blackpool Marathon

Comments

• Options
    emma if you're capable of 1;38 for a half
    then just get those miles under the belt
    - if OB and a few others are capable of 4;10 ish- then it looks like we could have a group
    -sounds as if i'm in for this , must get application in
    -if there are a few of us aiming for 4hr to 4 15 that would be great, aiming for 9 min miles
    -last year before the Lake Vynrwy i chatted with folks here, and met up with adrian wilmot @ the start by chance- and we both aimed for 4 15 or whatever- he had a bad mile or 2 around 18, my worst was 22 onwards- but we kept each other going, i finished in 4;27 but know if i jog instead of jog /walk from 23 i can get a pb of under 4:20
    -who's up for a 4hr to 4:20 ish
    in Lake Vyrnwy there were 180 runners !
    -how many do the full in blackpool??
    cheers
    rob
    25 miles this week
    must get on with that plan
  • Options
    Emma, I did 1'38 for a half the year before I did a 3'26 marathon and ran my first ultra, so get those miles in and you'll do well.
  • Options
    wrexhamrob - I set my pb @ 4:26 last year on a hot day and expect I could have got 4:20 if a bit cooler. I know with a bit more training I have 4:15 in me but, if it's hot then I'm 4:20 ish again.

• Options
    Iv'e just done the great north-west half marathon in 1.26.I want to do the full one in June but iv'e never done one before.A bit wary of setting off too quick.
  • Options
    Just signed up for it online 5 min ago, needed something to train for & motivate me after a rather disasterous 1/2 marathon over the weekend. Completely blew op with 3 miles to go & was forced into walk/painful limp after my legs seized up & went into cramp.

Quite disapointed in myself, though maybe been ill & unable to train to any great degre the prior 6 weeks had something to do with it. I had completely recovered, but I guess the lack of training was just too much for my poor legs.
  • Options
    I've signed up - ir was my first mara last year and really enjoyed it, though the last 6 miles on concrete are hard. Got a bit confusing for us back markers going along the Golden Mile towards the finish as couldn't see the other runners for all the trams and tourists!
  • Options
    Sluggie, I agree about that slog on the hard concrete promenade - doubly hard as you go past the finish on about 20 miles and know you've got a while before you see it again. It was hot when I was running that part last year too - I was almost wishing for it to be as cold and wet as it had been at the start. Hoping for drier but cool weather this year.
  • Options
    For accommodation try Oak Leigh 18 -20 Wellington Road Blackpool Lancs FY1 6AR.Telephone 01253 346 757. May even see you there if I can get over an injury
  • Options
    Does anyone know any good exercises for 'runners knee'?
  • Options
    have just signed up on-line so no going back now!
  • Options
    depends wot you mean by runners knee
    do lots of hamstring stretches
    see a good physio
  • Options
    By my calculations the Runners World 14 week schedules start this coming Monday for the Blackpool Marathon. Is anyone else following the 3:30 one? I'd like a virtual training partner!
  • Options
    I'm looking for 3.30 however first of all Ive got to clear a torn calf muscle.I was on 1.36 for the 1/2 when I injured myself. I hope to be able to start gentle jogging by the 15th and then get into my stride.So if I manage to toe the line Im up for the effort on 3.30.
  • Options
    Dickie. I followed the 'Sub 3:45' schedule last year for Blackpool whic was my first marathon and did 3:31, so I think beating that shold be realistic with a little more tarining. Hoping for as trouble free preparation as I had last year.
  • Options
    Justed entered the Marathon now not done one before.
    Did the blackpool half last weekend in 1hr 36mins would like to finish in 3hr 30mins dont know how realistic that is.
    Did the half last year so know some of the course and can remember the hard slog to Little Bispham.
    If anyone has any training advice i,m all ears i only do 2, 1 hour training runs in the week and one long run at weekends between 10-13 miles surpose i,m going to have to increase that the wife and kids will love that !!!!!!
  • Options
    MillsterMillster ✭✭✭
    Simon - I thought the 14 week schedule started on Monday 14th, but I could be wrong. I haven't entered yet but am seriously considering as I have been telling anyone that will listen that I plan to celebrate my forthcoming fortieth in style. I've never gone the distance before, but as a sub 1.40 half marathoner I reckon 3.30 for the marathon is probably achievable.
    Stevi - I may have the same family problems as you. Mrs M seems reasonably keen on supporting this crazy dream of mine, but she hasn't seen the training schedule yet. If you solve the family problem, let me know!
  • Options
    Tim Hill - a good quick fix for a bad knee is a generous squirt of Deep Freeze spray. Better than Deep Heat. Spray it on, exclaim "Waaaaah" at the coldness of it, then wait about 10 mins for it to go even colder! You'll see!

Stevi - I can remember that hard slog to Bispham. Never ending. Hope they change it this year. That was a particularly lonely stretch in the half last year.
  • Options
    Hi Folks just entered marathon on line . 4.15/4.20 with O.B.
    Did this a few years ago ,great course bit windy. did my pb.
    Running Rome in a weeks time then FLM
    Ta Seaweed
  • Options
    Tim Hill - You need to concentrate on straight leg exercises to strengthen the hamstrings and quads. See following link to exercises which cured my runners knee:-

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise2/runners_knee_rehabilitation_exer.htm
  • Options
    Thanks sdtoot, I'll have a look at link. The knee seems to be holding out at the mo. Have been doing stretchingon the side of my knee which seems to be helping.
    I see you want a sub 50 for 10K, are you doing crewe in three weeks?

Simon, I've been doing the 3:45 schedule but think I'm going to change to the 3:30 as my times are quicker than what they should be for 3:45.

Had a good week this week. Slow start as I missed a 4 mile on monday but made it up over two runs. Did 5,6,6,8, the 8 killed me this morning and won't be having them pints on saturday night anymore.
  • Options
    Tim, Currently 55mins for 10K but getting quicker. I'm running the Liverpool H/M next weekend, then no races for the next month or so. Good luck with your knee.
  • Options
    sdtoot, this is going to be my first marathon so building up to it slow, doing 9 next sunday otherwise I would join you.

good luck for liverpool.
  • Options
    Tim, Just a word of warning. Although it might just be my fitness levels, I started off last year on the 3:45 schedule and was tempted to switch to the 3:30 schedule as my times were faster then the recommended ones. By the end of the 14 weeks though I was just glad to make it there. iIm sure more experienced people than me will say that it's best to run slower than you think, just to get through the mileage. That was my first though, so bear that in mind when deciding whether to listen to me!
  • Options
    Simon, Cheers for that. I started doing the 3:45 as a base line but still hoping in the back of my head that I would be aiming for 3:30 at blackpool. Although I think I would like to change, I don't want to get de-motivated half way into training. Think I will stick to the game plan and try to keep the good times up.
  • Options
    Tim. Think I've already said this, but after following the 3:45 schedule, I did 3:31 last year. There isn't a huge difference between the 2 schedules, and if you're capable of 3:30, I'm sure you can do it on the 3:45 schedule. Let me know how you are getting on - I start tonight!
  • Options
    Just put my application in so I guess there's no turning back now. It'll be my first marathon so I reckon I'll be happy with sub 4hrs.
  • Options
    Simon, have read your earier postings and would be happy with 3:31 for my first marathon.
    I started last week but think training is going to be up and down this week as I've got to go to jersey for a few days and get back friday. Only just heard about liverpool on sunday and to be honest half tempted to do it although think I would find it hard.

Good luck with the training this week, let me know how you get on.

• Options
    Having never ran further than 10k and not even met my target sub 60min, I've entered the Blackpool full marathon.

Any advice, other than to get my head checked?! Also, will everyone have gone home by the time I finish?
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I have just entered this.

Even though I am still aching from the Reading 1/2 yesterday, and currently can't imagine running twice as far - I'm sure it will be fine.

Chrisssss, you will be fine - get yourself a training programme and stick to it. Put the miles in, and you will see results.

• Options
    Sounds like were all in the same boat.
    Entered the marathon on Friday and did my longest run to date on Saturday 16 miles how the hell am i going to run another 10 miles on top of that.
    Got the liverpool half on Sunday and then i will start proper training schedule hope to do sub 3.30.