Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options

But you are all set for when you can Mr B! Is this for commuting purposes?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

(((VR))) sorry to leave you at home this weekend, Dublin next year perhaps for you?

LMH - RHR still lightly raised but I feel rested, had a good night's sleep so an easy 5 miles for me.   I think a combination of a touch of post viral and a poor weather forecast means I'm not expecting too much at Dublin.  I'm probably a bit jaded too as it's the end of the season and I will miss my races but am so looking forward to a period of spending weekends at home and some high mileage training.

Got soaked out running this morning, torrential rain but not coldimage

• Options
    SHADES wrote (see)
    Should be at the Mont Clare about 50 mins before start time on Monday.   I'm the one with the red hair (and shades) and LB is the quiet one with the posh Scouse accentimage
    I will be the one that look with the confused, scared, nevious and general "what the hell am I doing this for" look on my face. My bib number is10575 in case I miss you.
  • Options

Morning,

Chucking it down here this morning. No runnining today for me just swimming this evening.

I think I'll join VR and have a "no dublin sulk", another one to put on the calendar for next year.

I've been running for 4 years now and have never been for a gait analysis. I just buy shoes that feel comfy (at the mo' Mizuno Rider 12), is it necessary???

• Options

VR - I'll come and sulk with you!

James - I like the bit about being the confused , nervous etc one,   sounds like me before Moray, I nearly ran away.

Now in Edinburgh til the weekend having been down south to see Peter's dad for a couple of days with all 3 of the girls but not T. Busy as couple of P's brothers were up for the funeral of an old family friend so lots of cooking and eating but nice to see them all. Had a bit of a run in Stokport yesterday but not much training going on this week. Might get  bit of a run in here once my things are washed and dried.

Bit of a stressful drive up yesterday with eldest daughter doing her first stint of motorway driving - she did very well and the middle one having a teenage strop!

• Options

EF - I remember my first motorway drive, I got stuck in a lorry sandwich and i was terrified. Glad you're all  home safely!

• Options
    Molly - Not home but half way or so. I am quite a nervous driver now after so many years in the quiet north!
  • Options

ef - you'd have a fit if you came to Italy. My brother drives a fire engine so he's used to going fast etc but he felt stressed out here, they're so impatient and kamikaze!image How far are you from home?

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Morning all - been away for a long weekend in Krakow to recharge the batteries. It was really good (although very cold, unseasonally so, 3 or 4C each day). Really good place to visit - cheap food and drink so the money went a long way. Did lots of sight seeing and took in the history of the area.

How's everyone?

LB - hope you're feeling grand for the weekend - have a great time! image

• Options

I want to wish everybody a good time in Dublin at the weekend.

Mr B I am pleased to see that you are feeling much better-no doubt you will be ready to run and cycle just  in time for the next op.

I now haven't run for a fortnight, busy doing my exercises and will gamble on how I feel next Saturday.

There is athree and a half hour time limit so if the worst comes to the worst I can wald round tasting wineimage

• Options

Elspeth - it won't have done you any harm to have had a little break, you train very consistently.

WD - ope the exercises have worked.

James - I'm sure you'll love it. When do you head over to Dublin?

Shades - glad to hear you're feeling a little better.

Molly - a gait analysis is a good idea but if you haven't had any injury problems probably not too critical.

Swim done this morning, turbo to look forward to after lunch and Grace walking, could take the bike out instead but it forecast rain so I'm not sure whether to risk it.

• Options

Elspeth- glad you are having a good holiday- don't worry about the break from training, the rest will do you the world of good.

Shades, LB and James- have a fantastic time in Dublin.

WD- What event are you doing?

Clag- good to hear that you enjoyed your break. Sounds very cold though.

I ran 12 miles this morning- i tried a new route, very scenic but didn't realise how much was off-road. i found it very tough and had to walk some bits. I hope i am not going down with something again. I got stung by a wasp on my ankle whilst running and it is very painful and swollen now. last long run until Barn's green half next Sunday.

When i got back from my run, my garmin 205 had arrived from Amazon. Looks and feels enormous on my tiny wrist, but the strap fits snugly. i hope that any passing helicopters don't try to land on it. image

• Options
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

James - I'm sure you'll love it. When do you head over to Dublin?

I am heading over Saturday morning with the whole family (8 of us in total) and making a long weekend of it. We come back on Wednesday.

I only suggested it as a joke "Oh look the Dublin marathon is on my birthday this year, perhaps I should enter". The next thing I know we are booking flights and accommodation.

I am sure I said after I did a half marathon there is no way I am doing a full one.

• Options

SiJ - enjoy the garmin, no helicopters have ever landed on mineimage

Been up arthurs seat this morning nd now off to see some friends

About 300 miles from home Molly

• Options

Si J I'm off to California and am doing the Healdsburg half which is modelling itself on the Medoc Marathon - passing numerous wineries with wine on offer as well as water!.   

• Options

Happy Birthday for yesterday PSC image - sorry I'm a bit late.

Long run yesterday: only 14 miles, but niggles were setting in, so we quit while ahead. It was 3 laps of Draycote, and we were going to tag on some extra, but I'm quite glad we didn't. My foot's been feeling a bit odd, but it behaved during recovery run today (HY4 - through the Hayes as I figured soft ground would be sensible, it was very autumnal and pretty). I've put a support thingy on it, hoping it's just a niggle and not the beginnings of a stress fracture.

James - there is an exception to the porridge with water rule: my banana porridge. One large, ripe banana, pulled into little bits, covered with 60g oats, add 1tbsp of raisins, sprinkle with cinnamon and ginger and cover with water. Nuke in the microwave for 3 mins and stir well. The banana makes it creamy and sweet, and it's actually a bit sickly with milk.

• Options

Hello everybody!image

Just popping out of lurkdom to say a big THANKS to Shades for the programme you emailed me and to say hi to everyone else especially those who, like me, will be tackling Dublin on Monday.

I have read all your antics for some time and when by some hideous fluke I got accepted for next year's London I thought that I should get down to some serious training and asked Shades for a programme.  Not that I am a complete novice as I have run off and on since 1973 image and Dublin will be my 9th marathon but you never stop learning do you.

I hope you don't mind if I don't post very often but just pop in every once in a while to say hello.

Good luck and happy running everyone

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

molly - gait analysis is not essential, if you have no injury problems then I would say your shoes are fine.   If you use the wet floor test to see what type of foot you have that's a pretty good guideline as to what type of shoes you need

WD - hope the injury is healing and if it's sore on race day then just have another glass of wine!

SiJ - congrats on the Garmin, now you can run where ever you want and have the distance measured so no need to stick to premeasured routes

James - LOL at the way you ended up entering Dublin marathon, great that you've got a big party of supporters

Hi helly - of course you can pop on here when convenient, if you want to meet up to say hello pre Dublin we'll be in the foyer of Mont Clare hotel from about 50 mins before start until time to go and put our bags in.

• Options

I shall be the one crying with fear....

Hello Shades! Medical insurance came through today so I'm happy now and I've PACKED!

• Options

WD- That sounds like my sort of race. I love californian red wineimage My favourite.

RB- the porridge sounds yummy, but i can't swallow porridge- it makes me gag. I wish i could. I eat rolled oats mixed with nuts and seeds and cold milk for breakfast.

LB- You will be fine. Try to enjoy the whole atmosphere. Mummy will look after you.

Helly- hi and good luck for Dublin. I don't post on here very often either but i still feel very welcome on here.

I have charged my new garmin and can't wait to get out and try it. But my legs are killing me from my run this morning- next opportunity is Sunday.

• Options

Hi Helly!

Hope you have a great birthday James.

SiJ - you'll love the Garmin, it's great to run wherever you please and know how far it is, gives you great freedom to explore but still be a bit nerdy with your stats image

Now, now LB - it's not like it's your first!

WD - that sounds lovely - how long are you out there for?

• Options
    Mr BumpMr Bump ✭✭✭

Little Miss - Yes, the idea is to commute when I'm better.

Clag - Did you go up Wawel Hill, which overlooks Krakow, which is seen in Schindler's List?

WD - Thank you.  My next operation is in 23 days time.  Hope the exercises work for you.

(((Si-J))) - Hope the bee-sting doesn'rt amount to much.  Off-road makes you stronger, but I always get injured due to turning an ankle (or worse!)

(((Runny Bunny))) - I sincerely hope it is not a stress fracture.

• Options

Thanks for the greetings everyone! 

I will be way too nervous to meet new folk before the start in Dublin (thanks though!) but if you see a 5 foot woman wearing a white cap shaking like a leaf then that'll be me.  I'm hoping for 4.15 and my running buddy is hoping for 4.25 .

SiJ I can't swallow porridge either and the smell of bananas makes me sick tooimage  Love lemon curd though! Have fun with your garmin.

Off to do a very gentle 4 miles for my last run now.  Bye!

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

helly - meeting new folk  before a race can distract the nerves a little so you and your friend are very welcome to pop into the Mont Clare and see us and keep warm there pre start.

LB - I'm so pleased you've got your medical insurance too, but I am confident you shan't need it  <<<<moves peanuts away from the bar>>>>
    What time will you be in Dublin on Sunday?

And you've packed, that is impressive.  I shan't pack until Sat morning, an hour before I leave.   I think the forecast is not good for the weekend and particularly the race so haven't yet decided what to wear.

• Options

Hi helly image

James - you do have to watch what you say about marathons you know.  Left OH to browse the Paris Expo while I got my number and was presented with a flyer for Florence and the comment that looks nice!  Have a great birthday image

Molly - I've not had a gait analysis as such, just been watched running round the shop.  I have Waveriders in both 11 and 12 models.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Flossie,

Don't know on that one.  Althought she does lick her mouth straight after.  She's always noisy in the car even on the way home from the vets.  Putting her in the carrier is a 2 person job & I think the person doing a pedicure on her would have to wear chainmail.

Raich,

I loved the Hayes in the autumn.  I'm still off running at the mo & have to go back to the docs tomorrow because it looks as though this infection hasn't cleared up fully.

--------------------------------

Good luck to everyone going to Dublin & everyone else doing lsr & other races

• Options
    Sorry not been on for so long.  Not running much at the moment as once again life is chaotic!  Just wanted to wish good running to everyone doing Dublin (especially LB - so proud of you finally getting there, just don't poison yourself with any weird foods like milk or prawns!!!!) image
  • Options

Morning!

Hi DG - how're you doing?

I have an interval session scheduled for this morning and a 'weight lifting on the bike' turbo session this afternoon but my quads haven't recovered 100% from Abingdon despite stretches and rollering etc. Not sure if I should have a go anyway or adjust the sessions?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Thanks DG  <<<moves prawns and milk out of LB's reach>>>

Nice 5 mile run today for me.   If it's not pouring with rain tomorrow I'll go for a run around Dublin, can't go if it's raining as I am only taking the one pair of shoes and important to at least start the marathon with dry shoes!

• Options
    What time do you arrive Shades?