Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Emmy - I prefer the mornings too. I'm dead at around 7 pm!

Great day for soggy kite flying today.

Shades doesn't ache after a marathon!! Lol!
  • Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Well done Shades image. Another enjoyable break in Ireland.

I did Kent Road Runner last Monday. 17 laps round a new undulating cycle park, great organisation and support but not very inspiring. Despite what I said on a previous post, I didn't listen to myself and set out too fast again image. Felt really good for the first 16 miles then energy dipped badly and I also thought my socks were bunching under my toes (only my toes bunching - not had that since I started running!). Then I started getting cramping in my calves - not the sudden jump out of bed cramp, but a progressive tightening of the muscles (have had this once or twice after a race but never during) until I had to walk/hobble for two laps. Calves stopped hurting and I was able to pick up a little for the last 2 laps, but as soon as I finished they hurt again. I tried sitting down, standing, walking round, stretching - nothing helped until I had a hot shower. Pleased with my time (4:11) but not pleased with the way I ran image. Have a couple of off road runs during the next few weeks so I am going slow, slow, slow.

Very quiet on here. How is everyone else doing?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - I'm not aching after Cork...my recovery run the following morning stops post run aches and pains.   However, I do have a little niggle in the back of my knee into the calf area so I've rested today and won't do Kettlecise tonight either.

I'm not good at getting out training at night either.

mowser - well done at Kent, good time.   I guess your calf cramp was caused by your toes bunching.   Are your socks too slippery in your shoes?  I think cramp is generally caused by dehydration?

I'm DNS'ing Dartmoor Discovery this weekend as I have my 100k race next week and even I won't recover in time!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Shades- Do you know where the niggle came from? What is the Dartmoor Discovery? is this the ultra? I've heard some incredible things about the weather at the moment so it sounds like a good idea!

I'm going to try and get out after work but i'm struggling a lot with energy at the moment. My diet is pretty constant but the weird thing is that i'm tired but when I go to sleep - I cant. I'm going to see how I get on but wondering what I should do for a LSR this weekend. I'm due for a 16 but wondering if I should do a 13 or 14 miler. What do you think?

@Mowser - That's a great time!! Well done!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mowser,

Well done.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Good result shades.

Last day in devon image been wet and windy but a good break. Allowed a small knee injury to heal. Looking forward to a run on sat and then on the bike for london to brighton next sun....
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Iain,

Good luck for the bike ride. That's a long way!

• Options

HM4 - have PM'ed you on farcebook! image

Southdownsmara - BRING IT ON...................  I've got a feeling I will be in double figures soon...  how do I register my interest? LOL. 

Evening Shadies.  I haven't been around much of late - hope everyone is fine and Dandy.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@PSC - I've been wondering where you were. Has anyone heard from Marathon Molly?
    @HM4 - How are you getting on?
    @Iain - Great to hear that you've had a restful week. I love the London to Brighton - it's a great race but congested!

OK - Shades - thank you for giving me a silent kick up the bum today.... and please allow me to bathe in one of the best runs i've had since London! I got home feeling not really motivated when hubby turns around and says "how long are you running for? I'll run with you" - and it was absolutely fantastic. No stitches, no aches - just a great run.

It was also nice to see him struggle a bit. He's seen me come back lately from some horrid runs and said "it's not that hard", "don't be a pansy - you should run all the way"... and today - his breathing was hard, he said he felt like he couldnt go any faster and he was amazed at how strong I looked... He said that he'll do it again so it can't have been that bad!

So I will spend the rest of the evening smiling to myself that I had a great run!

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Emmy,

Well done.  I've had a bit of a calf niggle for the past couple of days but think it's easing now which is just as well as I've got a half on Saturday.

• Options
    Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Emmy - It will be my second one and then I do it again in september but 75 miles and off road. A real test of endurance. And all this with a marathon between.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@HM4 - Thats good to hear. DO you know how you picked it up? Which half are you doing on Saturday?

@Iain - That's great! Ive done it once and really enjoyed it. Would love to do it again but 2012 is my year for marathons - 2013 is where the other sports come inimage

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Emmy,

I think I do but not 100% certain.  It's the South Downs half which has got some yucky hills in it as it goes up the highest point in the South Downs.

• Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭

Shades - my toes only bunched on my left foot but I had cramp in both legs. Although next day my right leg was fine but had an achy left one. Wore double skin socks first time for a marathon, have worn them for shorter races, think I'll go back to usual ones. I know I don't drink as much water as I should do (in general, before a race and probably during as well image ). Trouble is I then need to go to the loo quite often, which is ok in an off-road where you stop at village halls or where there are plenty of bushes but I don't like to break the rhythm in a road race. Still, I guess I'll sort it all out one day, still plenty to learn.

Went for a run in the rain today image. Had forgotten how much I like running in the rain.

Good luck to South Downers this weekend. Hope it's not too windy.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - well done on the run with hubby and quite rightly he should be impressed with your fitness.    13 miles this weekend is fine.

Dartmoor Discovery is a 32.4 road ultra over Dartmoor, brutal hills and all 4 seasons of weather in one day and the most amazing scenery.   Not a race for the faint hearted, but we love it.   I've done it 8 times (I think) and VR has done it 3 times.   I can recover from the distance in a week but not the hills.

Iain - sorry we didn't deliver on the summer weather in Devon.  Glad the niggle has cleared up

PSC - we'll soon have you in the 100 clubimage.  Have a good run tomorrow, hope the weather calms down

HM4 - and good luck to you too with the half, tough course I guess

mowser - I don't think it matters how many marathons we run we will never get everything quite 'right' and we'll always look for little changes to make to improve our races.   Maybe you need electrolytes?  

I've just bought a pair of those fancy elastic laces as I do have problems getting the tension just right and in ultras or hot marathons feet do swell.

Wild and a little rain this morning, has calmed down.   Flooding in the fields again.  Had a good run, niggle is getting betterimage

Friday..yippee

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Shades, thanks for the reply. I'll do 13 this weekend. I have to admit i've seen a marathon in July  that has caught my eye but I don't know if it's feasible to run it with my current level of fitnes!

I love the sound of the dartmoor race! I'm suprised that it's not off road for dartmoor (but i can understand why roads would be a lot better!). Will VR be doing it this year?

I can honestly say - that i've never been so happy to see the weekend!

• Options

Weather is looking pretty good to me...  I love the SDW so am really looking forward to tomorrow enormously.  I grew up in Petersfield (school) so have a real connection to the area....  image

100 club - not sure about that!  It's a massive committment.  I am somewhat in awe of all of you 100 Clubbers.

Waves at all Shadies.. image

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Emmy - which marathon has caught your eye?

I think an off road event over Dartmoor would be too dangerous, runners would get lost in the fog.   I think VR is running this year, I'm going to do a bit of support for a runner friend.  

PSC - Weather is terrible here today, I think it'll be better tomorrow.   Have a good run

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PSC,

I know it does however I think there will be a good few small branches down.  Does the full go up, round & down Butser Hill also?

Shades,

Thanks.  I'll be posting a report which will include the total climb in it.  I've got some elastic laces now also as I'm fed up with one set of laces always coming undone.

• Options
    mowzermowzer ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Morning all - off to do the morning shop then heading for Dartmoor to support the runners.  Chilly morning but sunny here, will be cold I think today over the moors.

HM4 - no problem with laces coming undone but often having the feeling that I've laced one of my shoes too tightly, I bought those elastic laces with the bobbles on, if you know what I mean!

Good luck to all racers this weekend

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Shades,

I do.  I think they're similiar to mine which are being kept well away from Millie.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Race report time from South Downs Half Marathon:-

Got there in plently of time and managed to trip over my bag getting out the car - no damage done.  I knew the first 3 were going to be horrible but nothing could have prepared me for running along a chalk path which was like a running along the bottom of a steep valley with the bottom of it not being wide enough for a foot or having to run along a path near the top of Butser Hill which was just wide enough for a foot and had a very steep drop to one side of you.  The next couple miles were thru the country park.  Then ran thru possibly the flatest part of the course, about a mile along a field on the way to Chalton which produced the quickest mile of the whole race (10:02).  Came to a lovely section just after 9 miles which was a path on the edge of some woods & thought I'd be able to pick up some time (to make up for walking the really horrible uphill parts) and fell over a tree root.  Nothing was damaged and carried on although the bruises are starting to come out on my knees already.  At 10 miles we picked up the full marathon course and by about 11 miles were just entering the country park again.  I've never been so glad to see a hill which I always walk up due to the steepness & uneveness of it as I knew when I got to the top of it there were no more really horrible uphills.  Got to the finish in 2hrs 52min & 16seconds which is a new personal worst for me.  Given the hills I'm chuffed to get under 3hrs as the total elevation gain was 533metres & loss 531.  Splits ranged from 10:02 - 18:09.

• Options

down with spam

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

My earlier post has disappeared again!

HM4 - well done, that sounds like a tough race, hope the bruises aren't too bad today.

Lovely day yesterday supporting at Dartmoor, VR did well.

• Options
    HM4. Well done yesterday. It might have been dry but that wind and the hills would have added lots to your normal run time. I didn't see you at the end. It was a buy of a mosh pit with upwards of a 1000 mara runners plus support all sprawled in the field. Shame as it would have been great to say hi.

I had a fab race. The time was a bit arbitrary as the hills add 45 mins ++ to the time but had a lovely day. Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Will report later when I get out of bed. image

Morning Shadies.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PSC,

It was a case of wanting to get home for lunch and a cuppa.

Shades,

They're looking a nice shade of bruised blue/purple.

• Options

race report from yesterday done.... LINK

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

PSC,

Great report. 

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@HM4/PSC/VR - well done on your races! I enjoyed reading the race report!

I managed a 14.5 miler yesterday due to getting lost halfway through my route... *cough*. It felt ok but it was such a strong headwind - it really felt like every step was a mountain challenge.

After feeling a little sore - i decided to just go and out see how i felt this morning... 8 miles later and all aches and pains have gone and I feel really relaxed! Not expected but such a nice welcome change from yesterday!