Options

The Pantman Resurrection Thread

Comments

• Options
    PANTMAN:
    Welcome back to the running world Farmer Pants! ;)

Yes I know those comments were directed at me, and hey no hard feelings on my part, I can take it im a big boy!

So when you gonna get off your farmyard and come out and give us a race?

Sidcup 10 in feb? Whitstable 10K in May just before Les Golding 10K?

Seriously though, happy to see you posting again, and hope you mean what you say about training again, your to good a talent to waste looking after animals, you should be running and beating underachievers such as myself ;p

• Options
    Well, ignoring the troll, thanks to all for the welcome. As BR/Stickless say, it's kind of hard to come back at the bottom rather than having come back some way. But when I first lost the weight the support and accountability on the forums helped a lot - I guess not all agree, but I like to think that I put a fair bit of that back in for others later on. Anyway I need some help again so I didn't think it would be a problem to ask.

Micksta - Hey, buddy! Yeah, I knew you'd know it was for you - I had no idea others would read into. Major foot in mouth incident! I know you can take it though - seeing as my spies tell me you've been dishing it out for months in my absence! ;-)
    Hope you're doing well - but just not sub34 well - I'm looking forward to coaching you! :-D

Jj - total mix up there! Love you dearly and really appreciate you (and a few others) keeping in contact. Sorry.

Regarding the menangerie, we have 6 acres here and now it looks like we'll be staying for a bit longer we thought we'd use it. I love animals (could never have too many!) and so we are doing more livestock than growing. But the idea is to be self-sufficient with regards to meat productiuon at some point. The intensive meat farming is scary stuff and it makes sense to raise our own. It is great for the kids to grow up in the midst of all this too.

So anyone wanting some free range chicken, or eggs, or half a pig, or sausages, let me know! ;-)

With regards to moderation in mileage, what I did before clearly worked for me. I wasn't burnt out or fed up at all. I am keen to get back to doing what I did before. As soemone said though, it has to be a gradual build up.

The plan is to start with a couple of 4-5M runs a day and see how it goes. I have been running on and off, so I'm not totally unfit.
    In fact, I did 11M on Christmas morning with Timmy (who is as fit as a fiddle, as is his sister and mother, who all put me to shame!) on the downs.

Chloe and Tim are as fit as they have ever been, but lacking in speed. Chloe has her eyes on some races in May, so we'll start them doing some speed in Feb.

Jen is the one who is progressing best of all - better than she ever has been. After 3:40 in 2004 and 3:20 in 2005, I reckon she'll be looking for sub3hr at ND30K this year.

Now I just need to follow their example...

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Not to keep flogging at things that should be dropped, but this might help.

I do remember your account of the ND30k. It was evident to anyone reading that the degree of effort required both in the prep and in the execution of that run.

I suspect people come in different mind-sets, but that none of us can churn out maximal effort month in month out year after year.

Some will have more conservative goals, and be more willing to realize a lower percent of their potential. Others will do the mileage, go for gold, but then need to have a blank period. It doesn't work, giving all and then turning around to see what's next, expecting to maintain that level. I reckon a majority of people end up injured. That saves them making decisions, but they get their down time one way or another.

Perhaps a useful way to look at it is not what a terrible thing to let it slip, but the time off was essential to getting it together for another major effort.

It might be possible, working on this theory, to choose your goal, and then structure a down time that doesn't leave you with quite so much training and fitness to regain.
  • Options
    Nice to see you back Pantman.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hey Pantman: Welcome back! Takes a lot of guts to start this thread - all puns intended ;-)))

With all sincerity: Please just practice what you preach. Others have benefited (me included), so why not you? 'nuff said.

Looking forward to seeing your rapid progression back to normality.

Rgds to Timmy, Chloe, Jen and rest of the farm-hands.

:-)
  • Options
    Hey pants glad u ok.
    I did e-mail u.
    Dont forget i`ve got money on you for sub 50min 10miles,so get cracking.
  • Options
    Micksta and Pantmans method of training are both quite interesting and aim to get to the same place I assume...

Pantman ramped up mileage as quickly as possible then gradually added in the speed to get quicker and quicker.

Micksta ramped up the speed as quickly as possible then gradually is adding in the miles to go further and further.

Personally I think both can work, and both suit your seperate personalitys so what the hey :O).

Bannister and Coe opted to hit their maximum (but still very low) mileage early on and gradually increased the pace.

Ovett always had the speed and tended to go for an increase in mileage to get better results.

• Options
    Pantman, your on the front cover of the Trailrunner newsletter from NDR!

I'll see you there in 2006 :-)
  • Options
    I've only been trying to give you a head start, Tim! ;-)

What is the trailrunner newsletter and where do I get a copy from?
  • Options
    Im pretty much back in 2004 shape now, my timing times over the last few weeks have been suggesting it, kind of figured that after London 2005, I had a major burn out, and then ran my body right to the ground.

Now im eating more protein and taking multi-vitamins, things are going much better, plus the harder training pace is reeping rewards.

in fact my goal for 2006, is a 32min 10k at the BUPA MANCHESTER 10K.

• Options
    but I won't need a head start ;-)

http://www.tra-uk.org/

It say's on the inside cover photo courtesy of www.digimoments.co.uk
  • Options
    Pantman - you're fat, lazy and you will never succeed. At anything. Never mind running.

Seriously, you don't want to encourage this guy - it'll cost me £££ !

• Options
    Ignore this rude ewok idiot pants he sounds like he aint worth replying to.
    I`ve got plenty of goodwill and i and others on this forum are all willing to share it with a great guy who has done it and will do it again.
    By the way Mr NDR champ its on the 25th of June if want to defend it.
  • Options
    Hi hipps, how are you doing miss ultra veteran?
  • Options
    Welcome back Pantman and good luck on the road to fitness.

Simon
  • Options
    X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    Hey Pantman I could almost hear the Rocky theme tune playing in the back of your initial post.

Good luck. You go for it!
  • Options
    RRR
    I just resigned form work
    on mara 28
  • Options
    Pants, good to see you're back ;-)

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back posting Pantman and best of luck for building that fitness back up. I'm sure it won't take long.

There's a great deal of support on these threads, it's what they're all about. I personally have witnessed it firsthand when doing the 'hard training' with MG and I'm sure reading the posts already on this thread that you have one hell of a fan club and won't lack the support to get back to where you were:o)
  • Options
    Welcome back Pantman! Great to have you posting again,will be following your thread with great interest. I have learned plenty from your postings.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Postings? Should be posts I guess :o)
  • Options
    Well I'm glad to see you, pants.
  • Options
    Great - now all I have to do is stop eating crap and start running!

Roll on Jan 1st...

:-D
  • Options
    Pants, could you tell me how you calculate your cals burned and how many you subtract from maintenance+exercise in order to lose? You may have done this before but it would be a big help.
  • Options

First step is to wean yourself off these,Pantman!

<a href="http://heinzbaby.com/english/products/new.html#1">Munch Munch Munch</a>

:oD
  • Options
    So how was day one of the new improved version, O resurrected one:-)
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    BR: Did you not hear the moans of despair from McD shareholders?

;-)
  • Options
    Pants great to see you back... I hope that we can be as much as an insiration for you as you have been to us. Keep in touch. Spans x
  • Options
    Hi Pants

Good to see you back and from what i hear Jen may give yopu a run for your money on this years ND 30!!

If you fancy a long run at the weekends (well long in my terms)or fancy meeting @ trossely give me a call ( i'm trying to train for a little run in Feb!!)
    say hi to Jen and the gang

Duncan