Options

The Pantman Resurrection Thread

Comments

• Options
    Blimey! Can of worms closing time...

The "harsh" comment was a friendly jibe at Micksta (a good friend who would have known it was for him and was lighthearted). NOBODY else was being referred to.

I should have known that it would have been misread by others. My bad, as they say. Sorry for any confusion.

Those who have known me here over the years know that I have never looked down on peeps for being slower/underacheiving or anything similar. I have tend to be positive and helpful where possible.

URR - indeed I come and go - am on and off - ebb and flow - I stand in awe of consistent performers year in year out like BR. I wish I could do same. Perhaps having 5 kids and far too many other commitments makes it unlikely, but I am well aware that my personality makes it worse. No excuse for me not trying again though, is it?
  • Options
    Not seen or heard from Pezza for a while either. Mrs Pants bumped into MrsPezza2B in Maidstone a while back - they were well, but he has struggled to fit running in around life. Much like me.
  • Options
    Pantman - You know yourself best, your strength and weaknesses. Why not work on that point? Nutrition is always another big one, especially tempting getting the pies in during x-mas! Hard for everybody. Maybe instead of 140mpw, do 50mmpw or 70mpw! Instead of the extreme you could give the middle a try and see how it works.
  • Options
    .................. and sort out my b******y training plan or me and the eagle will be having words

;-))
  • Options
    glad you are back!
    i know we've had this discussion before - but, well, i'm afraid i'm going to preach the virtues of moderation & actually running 'cos it's fun.
    anyway, why the menagerie?
  • Options
    good to see you back pants. i for one have missed you being around.

good luck with the return!
  • Options
    welcome Pantman, nice to have you back :-)
  • Options
    Don't give a toss about being a bit harsh. Suddenly he was having a go at Micksta? Must have been why he didn't mention him by name. And then a little dig at others for being paranoid maybe.

I'm really sick of this "poor me" shit. You're not a victim of circumstances beyond your control, but you love to play the victim. Must be such a hard life for you running 140 mpw.

Why don't you look to the Bible for guidance? Or must we endure yet more of the Pantman roadshow? "Oh no! I didn't quite do it this time! But kiss my ass loads and I might go out and do a marathon ... next year"
  • Options
    Seriously, have you been drinking tonight?
    If you have an issue with me for some reason, if I have offended you in some way, fire me an e-mail and we can discuss. If I have doen wrong to you, I'll apologise. But please, no more unnecessary outbursts on this thread.
  • Options
    You've not offended me, but I do think it's very wrong to keep on using people's goodwill in this way.

All this talk of sub-2:30 (is it?) marathons, when you've yet to run a single one, despite numerous attempts, I think is insulting.

You seem to be able to enjoy considerable largesse at home to be able to run all these miles when you have so many dependents back at the ranch, seems a little greedy to extract yet more generosity of spirit via the forum, no?

You just don't seem to know what humility is?
  • Options
    Don't want to get involved with this, but the comment was clearly aimed at Micksta. Those who've seen them both on the various threads know this!

Pantman- best of luck with the comeback, but again- perhaps moderation? You achieved a great deal in a short time, but then it all went. Slow and constant progression over a number of years is what'll get you the results.

B (Ewok's mate)- he might not have run a sub 2:30 marathon but there was eveyr indication that if not quite at that standard he was getting very close to it. A low 33 minutes 10k is an achievement that suggests a 2:36 and is definitely worth a 2:45. The marathon isn't everything you know!

In addition I think an eagle going for your eye is more than enough reason to miss a marathon attempt.

I am curious though Pantman- why the menagerie?
  • Options
    Good to see you back Pantman.
    I'm a bit of a come-back kid and I'm a bit of an "all or nothing" person myself but not quite to your extent. I never limited my food intake though but I've never had a weight problem. Most marathoners I've seen doing the volume of training you did would eat exactly what they felt like - if they didn't they would end up with stress fractures. I've always gone for - "do the least amount possible" to get myself through, though would have loved to have had the disipline to do high mileage.
    It would have been great for you to have been able to run your marathon, but I'm sure you will.
    I've found the biggest critic seems to be yourself, do it for yourself, you know you can.

• Options
    Ewok

Isnt that what the forum is for
    For support whe the going gets tough?
  • Options
    Don't give a toss what Ewok says.

Pantman, glad to see you back.

Starting again isn't easy, no matter who you are, no matter how fast you can run, no matter what your potential, no matter why it all slid down the tubes.

Actually, I suspect, having loads of potential, having blown fitness for not very good reasons, starting again is tougher by orders of magnitude than it is for those of us in the bottom percentile of running achievement.

I seem to have some recollection of you winning something in style last summer. I look forward to a similar report this spring!

• Options
    Welcome back.

It will be interesting to see your training plan for your come back, as coming back to fast most probably will cause some sort of injury and then put you back to square one again.

I for one will be following your training to see you get back up to where you were.
  • Options
    Pantman, as you can see, the forum is not the place it once was. :o(

(There's also a small but loud coterie who get very twitchy when anyone with a Christian view of life dares to post anything at all - wonder what they're so afraid of..... ;o)
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    Pants, as it was I who first used the word "harsh" in this thread, I shall explain. There were several of us who DON'T frequent the training threads who were worried about you - hence my several emails some time ago. When you finally replied, with less than your usual warmth, I continued to worry but left you alone as that was clearly what you wanted.

To suddenly see a post that talked about "ignorant theorising of certain underachievers" - bearing in mind that I don't know Micksta or your relationship with him, and thus have no reason to understand that it was an in 'joke' - was surprising and hurtful.

I can see now that that's not what you meant, thank goodness, but that was what *I* meant.
  • Options
    I'm all for a bit of religious debate - maybe on another thread, eh?:-)

Wow - I missed all the fun here last night.

Don't forget Pantman also won the ND30k in front of some very classy runners.

Personally I think it takes more guts to post up when you've let it go rather then coming on having had a good 3 months training saying `look how fit I am'. Which is what Stickless said.

And maybe there is so much goodwill on here because of all the time and trouble Pantman has taken to help and advise people in the past. He took me when I was floundering and unable to break 2:49 for the marathon 2 years ago and spent hours convincing me about Lydiard / Hadd / mileage etc. I know there's dozens of others on here who have benefitted from his advice.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    good luck in getting going again

you know what you are capable of
  • Options
    I definately learnt a thing or two from Pantman's past posts.

So glad to see him back.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Pantman - good to see you back! I'm one of the many who have benefitted from your advice. I hope the road back to full fitness isn't too difficult and that you get some support from posting here.

All those animals though - that's madness!

By the way, I've signed up for a big tri, so might need some broader advice from you this year!
  • Options
    Sassie, I think it was always thus. An open forum is open, every flavour as it were.

And since you are not e-mail enabled, I'll say it here: (((Sassie))). You are not the first or only who has found that firmly held beliefs make one a target for mockery from less generous spirits.
  • Options
    YAY Pantman! Have been stalking you through your blog and on the threads here, and there have been reports of sightings from BR and others, but it is lovely to hear you are back.

I will no doubt be hounding you for advice at some point soon.
  • Options
    welcome back pantman

i have missed you anyway

every time i posted something about orthotics i held my breath and waited

and waited

but nothing happened

look forwards to more debates - its healthy stuff

:-)

• Options
    Don't forget Pantman also won the ND30k in front of some very classy runners. - I'm honoured, BR ;-) [oh, I see, there were loads of midpackers like me behind him too ;-(]

Pantman, it's great to have you back good man!
    After such a long silence, the wording might have been (and obviously was) a tad uncareful, but I'm sure loads of people understood what was meant and for those who didn't it's been clarified since, so no harm done.

I think URR and Bryn make very valid points, when I look at my training logs this year, my intentions for the next are not to make the (very small) peaks taller, but remove the ravines in between them first. Maybe not very much in line with your personality, but you might think about lowering peak training loads to avoid heading towards periods of 'nothing' again.

@ B(EM): you're a bit of a character, very outspoken, don't tiptoe around and I personally love you for that too. Often I don't agree with you, but you're being yourself. Just make sure you allow others to be themselves too.
    (And in this case I think you're plain wrong. Pantman has been one of the most generous people on this forum with encouragement, advice etc. to everyone whether slow, fast, thin, overweight, young or old)
  • Options
    Welcome back Pants :o)
  • Options
    Great to see you back, Panto, just take it step by step. See you at the next social?
  • Options
    good to see you get going again

I was just thinking how trim and sharp I was becoming when I did a conversion from stones to pounds and found I weigh exactly the same as you:-))

So on the basis that a problem shared is a problem halved we are both half way there already!!!!
  • Options
    good to see you get going again.

I was just thinking how trim and sharp I was becoming when I did a conversion from stones to pounds and found I weigh exactly the same as you:-))

So on the basis that a problem shared is a problem halved we are both half way there already!!!!