Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options
    Right now the gin option sounds good. Tried 2 miles of 'easy' jogging yesterday, crocked this morning - this ain't gonna get me round docklands...
  • Options
    Morning

sorry to here you're crocked again HW - not good news. Not quite clear how you get that much lactic acid after 2 miles unless it was really hard interval stuff (a gin breather, a gin breathe, a gin breathe etc).
    If you not been running much it may not be Lactic.

Anyway, do foloow BO's advice ..."shaken not stirred"...of course
  • Options
    Gin is what has made me the elite runner I am:)

I dont know much about the lactic acid thing
    id wait for SS E mails, she has researched it much more thoroughly than anyone i know
    good luck

You could also try the US forum I suppose
  • Options
    HW - I believe either of BO's options work.
    Disclaimer - The following is strictly my opinion and may or may not be accurate. After a hard workout, light jogging or walking will help rid the body of lactic acid. We get l.a. when we hit the anaerobic level of exercise. For me, this occurs when I am running hard enough to try and suck air through every orifice of my body. Personally, I believe that the lactic acid buildup dissipates very quickly after running. There are products and studies on the market, but I believe that those products are a waste of money. Lactic acid does not hang on a person for days. End of spiel.

I know it's frustrating to be injured and not know all the answers. Hang in there. Take care.

Jim
  • Options
    Back again. Ashby 10K turned into the Ashby 5 mile today. Not quite sure why. Improved my position from 165 in the previous league race to 152 in this one. Maybe there were fewer runners. The first 2 miles were a steady uphill grind and there were a few more hills after that.

Had the pleasure of meeting my first forumite. Snake Hips was kind enough to let me overtake him halfway round the course. He's looking lean and mean and plans to get leaner and meaner so this could be the last time I get to finish in front of him. Still as I always say a scalp is a scalp and I could die tomorrow.

Keeps me from getting depressed.

Helen, How crocked are you? I don't think its lactic acid if you only did 2 miles easy. Probably just that the muscles have become unaccustomed to running. As said above lactic acid build up occurs during anaerobic exercise (fast running). If your muscles are just stiff try massage, hot baths, cold baths, deep heat etc and keep exercising gently and often. Vitamin C will probably help too.
  • Options
    Rather than repeat it all (I'm bored so goodness knows what others must be...), it's on yesterday's fat thread, last two pages I think. Serious suggestions are welcome, but might be sensible to email me directly rather than continue hijacking this thread place of refuge and turning it into a hypochondriacs palace.
  • Options
    By the way, I haven't had any 'stiff' muscles. Pain yes, stiffness no.
  • Options
    Three in a row, then I'll go swimming.
    Jim C, the problem appears to be that the lactic acid isn't clearing - extreme would be Exertional Rhabdomyolysis.
  • Options
    Afternoon all!!

Glucosamine! Lactic acid!

What the hell is going on on this thread????

I've looked over the last couple of days. Not a single unwanted or inappropriate message nor a single double entendre!!

Come on everyone. Just because its the weekend doesnt mean we have to let our standards slip. I swear, Bilious would feel at home here and we dont want that do we???

Saucony Grid Omnis (again) Jim C. Tried some Asics and Brooks but as soon as the Omnis went I knew I'd found true love. Trouble is I just cant bear the thought of getting them dirty!! Reckon God wears Sauconys which is why they're so damned good!

:-X to Helen (its a sloppy kiss!)
  • Options
    I love my sauconys
    Gonna get me another pair next weekend
  • Options
    I run in a different pair every day but my favourites are my ASICS Gel Kayano, Adidas Response, & New Balance 1080s.
  • Options
    Gone a bit quiet here - going stateside, I'll be back :-)
  • Options
    Quiet there too. One cynical post from some English turkey and that's about it. Going out to dinner, so will look in tonight to see what amusing gems you peeps have posted.
  • Options
    enjoy helen
    Where are you going
  • Options
    Hi
    Any one looking for a partner for long runs,nice and steady ie for london marathon ihave got to 10mile stuck!!Nottingham
  • Options
    Of my god, what have I done?
    This thread is very serious, must go!
    Hehehe :)
    Just passing and saying Hello!
  • Options
    Ann
    click here
    if you register on this website you might find somebody, Good Luck!
  • Options
    Lactic acid can be dispersed by moderate amounts of alcohol and gentle walking.
    I did my first 15 mile run this morning (previous longest 1/2 marathon). To recover I will walk to the pub, take my medicine, and walk home again (2 miles at 15min/mile tempo pace).
    By the way sfh legs, or whoever you are - you will never destroy International Rescue
  • Options
    Pub, alcohol
    yes goooooood
  • Options
    Hi Ann,

(hehe) I live South Nottinghamshire and prefer running in company to running solo.
    11 miles is my limit at present apart from races where I'll run 1/2 marathon occasionally. Happy to accompany you on the occasional long run if that would be of assistance.

Not tomorrow as I'm picking the wife up from Heathrow at 9:30 and probably won't feel like more than a few miles by the time I get back.
  • Options
    See above. I'm picking up the Missus from Heathrow tomorrow so my contributions to this thread may be curtailed due to lack of access for a while. Miss me while I'm gone.

PS She seems to have picked up an unwise comment I made on my origin of names thread across the water. Chimp, Can you devise an escape route for me.
  • Options
    Hi Wee P,

Might as well go out on a 3 in a row.

I've just remebered the cure for your poorly leg.

Rub it with Oinkment.

<snicker, snicker>

Old guys are easily satisfied.
  • Options
    BO - hee hee - "oinkment" :) Piglets are easily satisfied too.

I noticed that Mrs Burnt Out had left you a message..... ;-)

Please be careful in the big smoke. We'll worry about you until you return.
  • Options
    BO - Is your wanderings to our side of the pond related to your lack of access for awhile? I also noticed the post. Of course, I would say someone forged "my good name" and plead ignorance.

HW - My knowledge of injuries and their treatments are extremely limited. A quick web search shows several sites of useful information. Personally, I would be camping at the Doctor's office. Good luck.

Wee P - Have we taken that leg out for a short, slow spin yet? Hope she's behavin' today.

All - I noticed that someone posting as Johnny J says he can not access the UK site. Did you take advantage of his absence to change leadership? Not very sporting, if you did.

Have a good evening.

Jim
  • Options
    BO - "Is" should be "Are". Does this site not have an edit function? Excuse me. I guess when one does not make mistakes, an edit function is not needed.
  • Options
    Evening all.
    Now returned from UK wanderings. Have had big problems getting into this website. Keying the website address or clicking on it from the US site just gives me the message that the site isn't available.
    I've got here by keying about 200 chars.of the forum's direct address. Help, it's to complicated for me.
    Any advice gratefully received.
    JJ
  • Options
    Anyway. How are we all. Lot's of visitors today.
    Helen W. Still got prblems I see. Wish I could help but in the end I guess it will be time and very careful build-up that will solve it.
    Burnt Out Everard.
    Was out at 7.45 this morning and did 20 mins.gently around the village (not studied it in detail before) before heading off to the Headington roundabout, out past the crematorium, over to Stanton St.John then through Islip (detour via Bleckly?) before turning round. Bl**dy long way - 15-16 miles?
    JimC. 22 miles? Are you mad?. Lie down until your brain returns to normal.
    JJ

• Options
    Hippo.
    I've been doing some wing area/body weight calculations and I've worked out that you can't fly unless you're taking something and can I have some please.
    JJ
  • Options
    I cant fly JJ
    irs just like me running, i keep trying, and my body wont let me

Flap, flap------thud
  • Options
    Hippo. That's funny. You just need to build up slowly to 500,000 wing beats per minute. Ron Grovel's got a progrmme that'll do it. You'll have to wear a wbm though.
    JJ