Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR

when I joined the army I trained for the tests by going running on over 2-5 miles and doing press ups and crunches but that was in the 1980s
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi,
    That’s why you’re a tough nut. I could cope with all the PT/running in the forces – it would be ace to train all day – but not the getting shot at !

I meant advice to a wannabee recruit is to do ladders etc to get your max up before you actually join. This is especially relevant to the Navy Seals who have to do lots of pull-ups in their test.
    I have a book by an ex Navy Seal called Stew Smith, which has loads of forces style PT stuff in it, and there is a section for Navy Seal hopefuls. He has some good web-sites too for fitness nutters like me.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    How do you do a pyramid when you can only do 1 pull-up?

CRAB
    sounds like you should book yourself in for some mile reps tomorrow.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I think it is half 3/4 1 3/4 half

Vomit plan training with CRaB :¬)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Gobi,

You could always do negatives - where you control the lowering.

Just do push-up/squat/sit-up pyramids then and a few negative pull-ups afterwards.
  • Options
    Afternoon guys,
    Some assistance please, I'm limited to swimming and the odd PJ at the moment, hopefully only for another 7 days... does anyone have some swim sessions I can do to spice up the training?

I'm not the fastest swimmer but can splash about for a reasonable distance, yesterday was 1,700m front crawl and on Monday 1,200m crawl followed by about 60m with a float just kicking.

cheers ears
  • Options
    geewok - try some of the following:

Set an underwater swimming PBs for time & distance.
    See how few strokes you can take to cover a set distance.
    Add the time (in seconds) and number of strokes taken to cover a length - experiment until you find the optimum combination.
    Time yourself for 50m for each of the 4 strokes (I guess it's even more fun (to watch) if you can't do them all).
    See how far you can push off and glide.

All of the above can actually be used in training at any level.
  • Options
    JEJ - cheers, given my b'fly will get me about 20m i'll skip practising that one unless the pool is empty!

What are your thoughts on best strokes for running simulation, i.e. is it worth doing much breast stroke? or should I just concentrate on the crawl kick?
  • Options
    Geewok I've got a sheet on How To Swim 3k without getting bored sh!tless I can mail it to you if you want. For me the first bit works better than the last bit of that statement. Or you could go for the old CRAB OCD Way to Swim A K which is 4, 8, 16, 8, 4. Just have a little rest between each segment and apart from the 16 even when you really CNBA there isn't anything too daunting. It's bailed me out many a time when the Lido is soooo unappealing after 10minutes. Couple of those puppies and job's a goodun.

jakesy Great news.

AYWT.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Geewok,

I think you’ll find (ask CRAB) that Tri swimmers do crawl to save their legs (as well as time) – so crawl will keep you fit but not exercise your legs.
    I know that in my Seal book there are workout’s where you swim certain distances on limited breaths.
    I don’t think you’ll find a good way to exercise your running muscles, but just use the swimming as a way to keep fit. Do the 10x100 thing or get a pull-buoy.
    Better than that – paddle a surfboard for a decent distance – that knocks the shit out of you allright.

• Options
    I've never really thought of it before, but I guess breastroke would be better for power, but it's hard on the knees. It's a good stroke to perfect - my coach commented whereas FC was 90% arms, 10% legs, breastroke was 100% arms, 100% legs. If your technique is good you'll probably appreciate that more...

I'd say vary the strokes, but warm up with FC before switching to breastroke, and I'd advise against doing 3 hours of breastroke per day for long periods of time. If I recall it's quite boring too. Back in my day, we were generally denied toys such as floats and pool buoys - I was told that it was better training not to use them.
  • Options
    Back in my day FFS the boy's only just got rid of the pot rings and he's turning into Uncle Albert, Rodney.

Not sure about the saving the legs thing - it's just quicker and it's a fckn race. Although I guess it is easier to reduce the leg input with (get with the game TR) FREESTYLE. Unless you have the buoyancy of a house brick like what I have!

As you were.
  • Options
    Vets track and field on Monday. Doing my first ever 800m, followed by a 3000m, as they cannot find anyone else to run it.

The question is, should I volunteer for the pole vault competition, to kill time between the two races?

Logged onto Fetcheveryone.com and rank joint 49th on their all time rankings.
    JEJ is riding high at joint 28th, with Mike Gratton somewhat surprisingly stuck back ih 6th place.

You would have thought that winning the London Marathon was worth more than anything a youngster could do running a six mile x/c course.

Mind you running 19.22 for six miles, is pretty quick, especially for a girl.
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭

19.22 for 6 miles......blimey that is quick
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Get with the game, eh !

Freestyling is break-dancing to me.

Now that’s another form of PJ’ing alltogether - just had a thought perhaps I should take up Parkour – that’s right up my street.

I could get to star in James Bond films and Madonna’s latest video then instead of Sebastian Foucon.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Nice to see that you are still a bit barking CRAB. Go easy man; with all this vomitting and alfresco tom-titting, there'll be nothing left of you.

That said, due to stag do commitments, I've got to get up at the crack of dawn and bang out 21 miles tomorrow before being in work at 8am. Well, I don't have to, but you know what I mean.

And, has anyone seen PUG???!!!!
  • Options
    CRAB - that sounds like just the sheet i need, do you have it in emailable (?) form? If so please do drop me copy.

Think I will start to vary the strokes, I have been conciously kicking more than i normally would on FC just to get the legs moving, but its definately my shoulders that have been feeling tired at the end and not my legs. Problem is my breastroke barely allows me to go in the 'fast'lane, whereas FC I can power along, guess that means I should really practice it more.

TR - I don't think they allow surf boards in my local pool! However I'll look into the toy box they have and see what I can find.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Geewok,

I’ve one in the garage you can use – and a wetsuit and the paddling mitts etc. the wetsuit might be a bit big for you though - it’s PJer size !
    Swimming in the sea is free of charge too – you just have to dodge the jobbies round our way.
  • Options
    Crab, freestyle could be any of the 4 officially registered strokes. At school level I'd occasionally swim breastroke in the freestyle relay to take the piss.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Legs were still a bit achy after Mondays mad 12 miler,but I thought I'g give the mile reps a go anyway. So, I've just got back from 4 x 1miles on the coastal prom.

5m44s, 5m45s, 5m45s and 5m46s all with 2 min jog recovery

Thought I'd done the first a bit fast and was absolutley shot by the end of the 3rd, couldn't face admiiting I'd bailed so appeased myself with at least starting the 4th (knowing full well I wouldn't quit). Last one was absolute killer - never pushed myself so hard - in a race even.

I've never really done speedwork before I started FLM, so I'm well pleased with myself. Fitness is coming back, and I'm really happy compared to how pissed off I was 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    thats fantastic TR

swimmin is trainin for wimmin !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Those are damn good times for mile reps TR. And annoyingly consistent. Congratulations.

Annoyingly?

Yeah, because I can't do anything like that.
  • Options
    Same problem myself Blisters, might just hold out for all 4 sub 6. Well done TR very impressed.

{b]JEJ Any tips on preparation for my 800m race on Monday? Should I rest on Sunday instead of doing my long run?
  • Options
    Same problem myself Blisters, might just hold out for all 4 sub 6. Well done TR very impressed.

{b]JEJ Any tips on preparation for my 800m race on Monday? Should I rest on Sunday instead of doing my long run?
  • Options
    DN - If you're taking it seriously, then yes, the long run is a bad idea. Looking at James Thie's log, his stock session the day before seems to be '3 miles easy with drills'. Assuming you stll have marathons in mind, perhaps you could move a long(ish) run to this evening or tomorrow, but I would have though anything over 90 minutes will cost you a second or two on Monday.

For my indoor 800 I ran 10M up the canal to Lea Valley and proceeded to stumble somewhat when the sharp camber of the bend took me by surprise. I wouldn't recommend trying either of those!
  • Options
    Cheers squire useful info
  • Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Dull-Are you the same bloke that was saying "it aint worth putting the shoes on if it's less than a 5 miler" (or something along those lines)
    My how times have changed:O))

I seem to recall my last trip to the track was a 800m.....2.16 as 14yr old,

All sounds very painful to me,however have a good one.I'm sure you'll tag a 12 miler recovery run onto it to make it a useful session:o))

Gobi- All the best for the w/e I hope you get what your training deserves.Have a good one

C.M-Best of luck in the I.M hope its not too warm

T.R- A great set of intervals there, so pleased for you after all your recent injury woes.

Still doing a bit
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Thanks folks, It’s nice to have something worthy to post.

After a few weeks of despair – I’ve had a good few days – could have beaten my (now soft) ½ Mar PB from November on Monday, bagged a hilly 8 on Tuesday and did some decent mile reps last night. I’m still not 100% yet either – so there’s more to come.

Bearing in mind I’ve had some easy weeks, and never trained properly before November, a few months of this sort of stuff and I’ll be in good shape.

So I’m pretty happy at present. My (running) world is a better place to be than it was 6 weeks ago.

Just been to the Lido, didn’t see any pirates !

Magic Seaweed (website) says 4 stars of surf tomorrow – so Surf’s Up Dudes (Geewok).

On the 800m thing, the last proper race I did as a kid (was 16 or 17) was a 1km track race in 2m 3Xs, I remember going through 800m in 2m 02s or 2m 03s. I’m not a complete running numpty – I just took a 20 year break – and gained two stone of Armour !

CM
    I’m not sure you’ll see this. But I hope you make yourself proud at IM Lanza, all the best. I hope you have a great race.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    looking forward to reading about GOBI's and CM's efforts.

Good luck!

I think PUG is going to turn up to Ed as a man with a mission. Watch out RB. One more week of tapering.
  • Options
    TR - How's the surf looking on the Thames? That's the only open water anywhere near me.

Indoor (30m) pool for me today, outdoor 50m Lido due for a visit on Sunday morning. Did a structured session today of 160m warm up various freestyle, 10 x 120m reps FC 30sec recovery, 240m warm down freestyle. Felt darn good and a bit tougher than the usual steady splashing, occassional tarffic got in the way but then the scenery in the pool made up for it, seems to be better than that running with the club ;-))