Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Don't give me any of that v35 manure. The only vets under the age of 40 have their hands stuffed up a cow's @rse on a regular basis and wear a little too much knitwear for their (relatively) tender years. Baldini won the Olympics when he was nearly rubbing shoulders with James Heriot under the 'When you're 35 you're a coffin dodger' regime. I think he was 33 so you go from the best in the world to needing a head start in under 2 years. Pull the other one.

As you were.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Carlos Lopez was 37 when he won the Olympis Marathon in 1984 (?).
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    it is official then small "v" it is
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    it is official then small "v" it is
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I'm doubley serious
  • Options
    The wife has just bounced my run tomorrow night, she's going out to a big event she forgot to tell me about, and I have to be home to baby sit.

Nothing quite like being given lots of notice.

What a bummer.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Women

DIVORCE

see what it means to me

sung to the music of

RESPECT
  • Options
    hola amigos,
    sorry i haven`t posted for a while,i`ve been in Spain building a patio.
    It was very hot so not much running was done.
    Anyway, what I want to know from you fella`s is
    Since FLM the longest i`ve run is 17 miles,I have a number for the Chester half mara this coming Sunday and Stockholm mara is 3 weeks on Saturday.
    So do i
    1,Run the Chester half on sunday
    or
    2,give it a miss and get a 20 mile training run in before i start to taper
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Jakesy - if it was me, I'd do the half this weekend, then 20 next weekend & do a two week taper. The half for confidence, the 20 to secure the mileage and the pair should let you know if you're in proper sub-3 or better shape. But what do I know?

Alternatively you could just stay indoors, and decrease the likelihood of getting shot.
  • Options
    Here comes another from the CRAB book of stock answers. Do the half + 6 mile warm down. Two birds with one stone. Back of the net!

(BTW surely a capitalised LOL with ! in isolation is surely a deliberate/professional breach of the rules and in some quarters might be deemed a RED card offence. Mind you it would go well with my selection of trainers though.)

As you were.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    Jakesy
    Do both, but do the 20 easy.

By the way.....when running a race up north, do you go by the gun time?
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Fast half and easy 20 miler...must be gun time if your the target runner
  • Options
    Bastards!

thanks lads,it looks like i`ll do the half this weekend with 20 next week and a 2 week taper

Btw,had some good news this week,not running related but me and the mrs have been accepted by Sefton adoption panel to adopt a nipper

and that doesn`t mean i`m adopting Crab

as you were
  • Options
    Agree with the Sage.

1 mile warm up
    13 mile race
    3 mile warm down ie back to the 10 mile marker.
    Another 3 miles merely getting back to the car.....chance to chat up lesser spotted stragglers.

Total 20 very useful miles.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jakesy,

Great news on the adoption. Really pleasing news. Good for you and your Wife.

What a decent couple of people you must be.

Mrs TR was flakey again tonight (a right healthy bunch we are lately) - so I was house-bound. Banged out some indoor PJ's for 20 mins - with a quick couple of pull-ups sets too.
    Pleasantly surprised to see that I can still bang out 18 pull-ups (on the first set) - maximum ever was 20 ish. Running hasn't made me all skinny and weak - perhaps that's where I'm going wrong.

Mind you I bet Padams is going to post that he does 25 one-handed - or maybe Robo-Gobi.
  • Options
    Been away for a couple of nights - work meeting - free food and drink - oh dear!

Gym tonight on way home, otherwise no exercise since Sunday's 1/2.

Got strenge pins and needle sensation in middle toe of left foot too - might need to do more stretching I think. Not tight laces, checked that already, anyone got any ideas?
  • Options
    Jakesy - great news - really heartening.

As for Chester half - do it, with the extra miles for warm up/down as described earlier. Friend of mine is doing Chester- but then are lots of other peopple, so not much point in telling you to look out for a woman with dark hair in shorts and a vest!
  • Options
    TR

Saw a guy in the gym doing an interesting combination exercise this eve - press ups on dumbells - alternating with lifting dumbell up to armpit as tricep exercise.

Did core on swiss ball, and one legged lat raises and curls with light dumbells myself. Loads of stretching.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhhh! Thanks to Nike, and the delights of the UEFA Cup Final last night, I have a slight headache this morning. Was planning to blow it away with 12 @ MP, but the wee-est Bhoyette has a dose of the lurgi, so any running will be tonight instead. And I just dont run well in the evenings.

Jakesy - congrats. You can have one of mine. Preferably all 3.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    impressive TR

no one hand pull ups but I can list different numbers for different styles of pull ups.

As I made coffee this morning the cafetiere exploded and sent boiling coffee all over my legs and one foot. Some pink marks on them but nothing major and no blisters. A quick polish and they should be as good as new :¬)
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Filter machine Gobi. Easier and quicker.
  • Options
    Typo.
    triceps = Biceps (and prbably delts too.)
    {Note to self: Must prioritise sleep over posting :-)}
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RB

Now that I have an excuse to buy a new device that may well be an option :¬)
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    TR - not quite, I think you would destroy me at PJs! I used to be to do about 12 pull-ups, but probably would struggle to do 5 now. Do you do them overhand or underhand - I find under much easier. I tried doing some press-ups the other day - it was amusingly poor.

Another 3K in the pool plus about 30 mins on the bike in front of the TV last night, and 5M easy run this morning.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi
    I wouldn’t expect anything less from you, I knew you’d be a pull-ups man !

DOT,
    I myself do things like medicine ball squats – a squat ending in a basketball type throw of the ball, which you catch again at the bottom of the next squat. Or, squats with dumbbells ending in a shoulder press. Both of these exercises are very aerobic. I put them in ccts.

Padams,
    I class pull-ups as overhand and chins as under-hand grip. I do pull-ups more than chins – but do chins sometimes.
    I don’t often do them as max sets – but thought I would last night to see how many I could do.

I do lots of alternating push-up and pull up sets keeping away from failure for the first few sets, I also do ladders or pyramids (eg 1 pull/3push, 2pull 6 push upto 10/30 maybe or up to 7/21 and back down again).
    I have loads of different exercises/routines that range from 15 to 30 mins (or longer) and from the relatively easy/core stuff to brutally hard nearly meeting pukie stuff (reckon these have built a good deal of fitness into me over the last few years). They are really good for training up your FIDO ability.
    The main reason for doing them is when I’m short of time I can bang out a quick 20 min cct, as the garage gym is open 24 hours a day !

Nice swimming too Padams, I’m targeting that a bit now, especially since my mentor CRAB told me to try 100m sets in 1m 45s to 50s !! I’m more of a swimbler up to now. Are you going to do some sea swimming as prep for your Brownsea Island swim ?

I gave it a bit of welly up the hill today on my bike – someone had the cheek to try and come alongside ! (That’s not a challenge to CRAB and CM – mind !), and my chest felt good, even though I’ve a bit of a head cold.

So (as CRAB would say) I’m feeling pretty chipper this week – I can see my fitness coming back which is an absolutely magic feeling after how grim and pissed off I felt at the start of April. All I need to do now is start chalking up a few race times.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    that all sounds good to me TR
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    TR - yes, will be getting some sea swims in, maybe starting on the Bank Holiday weekend when I will be in Bournemouth. Haven't worn my wetsuit for about 3 years, so hopefully it will still fit! I tend to get cold quite easily in water, so I need to get acclimatised.

My dad swims with a group of long distance swimmers, some of whom swim in the sea without a wetsuit year round. One of them has swum the Channel, and is now going to try to swim the Channel backstroke! So I'll be swimming with them when I can.

Good info on the PJs - I always end up going to failure, but I might try a ladder or pyramid as you suggest.
  • Options
    How to nearly kill yourself in a few simple steps.

1) Get a raging cold (sore throat, hacking cough, streaming nose, headache you know the full monty)
    2) Get up a ten to Gobi
    3) Don't drink or eat anything
    4) Stumble out the door
    5) Run 20miles at ~8m/m with your HR at ~MaraHR slowing gradually as you go
    6) Puke up twice on the hoof but manage to swallow it back down (Something for the lesser spotteds there.)
    7) Remember to enjoy it. Hey you could even feel chipper.
    8) Ignore the fact you're obviously a prick with a few mental issues and pretend it did you some good.

As you were men.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blimey CRAB – that was a tough one ! Take it easy on yourself if you are poorly.

Padams
    I‘ve watched the pier to pier swim at Southsea a few times (it appears to be non-wetsuit event) the folks who swim that are not runner types, they are big old leather skinned Walrus type figures – so I’m not surprised that you and CRAB feel the cold.

There are some buoys set out at Southsea for folks to swim round in the summer (the Tri boys are down there a lot) – but sea swimming totally freaks me out – need to relax I guess. I could try the wetsuit – I’ve one for surfing in – it will give greater buoyancy.

When people train up for Army/forces Physical entry tests – where you have to pass PJ and run tests. The best way for someone to get their pull up/push up totals up is to do ladders or pyramids shy of failure.
    The body gets used to larger totals that way, you then do a max test once a week or so.
    You can also do ladders where you alternate bodyweight squats or sit-ups with the push ups – it doesn’t have to be pull–ups. I just like to work opposing muscle groups.