Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Lee G,
    The ~30m drop in London is deemed 'legal' as it's within 1 part per 1000 (IAAF rule).  The rule allows ~138ft of drop. 

The Edinburgh results in the rankings from last year appear with an 'a' beside them (meaning 'assisted'), but they do appear (I've seen some against indiduals with 'DH' which don't appear at all in the lists - guess these are off the edge of a cliff or similar!). 

Not sure whether these 'a' times qualify for other events (like London Champs or GFA start, for example).  It might be enough to put off some Brits eyeing up protential CG / European marathon standards.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Jools/BEJ - thanks for the explanation on Virgin. Hadn't heard about that.

I've heard about this elevation drop argument before. As Lee says, it is about 150ft, whereas London is about 75ft. Frankly, I don't really care whether it counts towards records/rankings etc. as I doubt this is going to have a significant effect on my life. If I get a PB, I will claim it as a PB.

Not sure if it's relevant, but the IAAF rules say not more change in elevation between start and finish than 1m per km (i.e. 1 in 1000). On that basis Edinburgh might be slightly too much (about 50m, so about 1.2m per km).

IAAF rules for road race records

• Options
    coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Boston has an "elevation gain of = -452ft" but is an "IAAF Gold Label Road Race"? Edin and Boston etc are fair PBs.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Marigold
    Shame that there’s athletics at Portsmouth tomorrow, I’ve a footie match to watch.

Jools
    CNBA – disgraceful. I thought you were routinely routine.

6x200m and 6x100m reps swimbled. I’m still carp, but a slightly fitter carp.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    TR - Hope you boys play well tomorrow, but mine play better. Robbie 'Roy of the Rovers'Fowler to spring from the bench and do the biz.

Gobi - Good luck with the race this weekend (I always seem to be saying that to you but this does seem a big one - glad to see the weather might be on your side too).

Chomping at the bit to get my running shoes on but still crocked - now looking at late Summer rather than July. The biking's fun though. Nature watch today: Two camels...

Taper well those destined for Edinboro and of course GR I will be particularly interested in your time.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    All too human, I'm afraid, TR.  Stressful trial and too many skipped lunches caught up with me.  Oh, and following your good example ;¬)
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools
    Yeah – I threw 3 in a row – where did they come from? I’ve got to look at those zero’s on my desk planner for another 7 months too. Absolutely Shocking behaviour by the PJer !

OO
    Robbie Fowler ! do me a favour – he was once a top natural goal poacher, but he never was the most professional of players and now he has been off injured. I’ll be surprised if he can squeeze into his kit. He will make Kanu look athletic.

My ticket will be there, but I won’t.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Great racing and training posted as always.
    Far too much to read thru at work.

Good luck Gobi on your little outing, and any other racers.

Face is beginning to ache owing to smiling a lot since last Sunday. Did the Ripon 10 in the morning - my first 1st. Came 13th and 1st V45. Didn't make the presentation as had to rush to Sheffield to watch my son playing cricket for the 1st team. They got mashed but Brian jnr got 42, batting at no. 6.
    Needless to say had a few pints of the black stuff and by the end of the night I think my mates may've been a bit pi**ed off with me.
    "Did I tell you how I went on this morning?"
    "Yes - several times, now shut the f*ck up".

Doing a bit more....

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Brian. We'll let you mention it another couple of times before we tell you to shut the fcuk up.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Ask me how i went on Sunday morning - go on...image

• Options

Hail Hail

As the only member of the thread to have used a time gained at Edinburgh to achieve a qualification standard, there wasnt  a problem for using my 2.44.51 last year to get a Champs start at FLM this year (even if I didnt use it!).  I also know of a couple of lads who used sub3's at Edinburgh to get GFA places. 

Good luck on Sunday Gobi

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Good luck Gobi and any other racers.

Brian - how did you get on Sunday morning then? image Congrats!
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Brian: well done, what was your time?
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

64:36. Hilly, quite a bit off-rd, and warm.

Would've been a pb before July 2007! I tend to run well (comparatively) when it's hot.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nice one Brian - well done.

42 no is a nice score too - good for the average !
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

TR, Drove a full toss straight to cover, so not as good for the average. And it was Cup match so we got knocked out. He has been rewarded with another 1st team outing tomorrow.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good for him then
  • Options

BEJ - i think Edin is valid for qualification to the Beijing Olymics (?) so i hope the times would be good for our fred (or champs start).

I could be wrong .. what do you make of this ...

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Statistics/Standards/2008MarathonQualifyingRacesBeijing_588.pdf

• Options
    Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Ode-Cracking 5k run....you've definitely got the leg speed (more than me that's for sure)so with sensible pacing I think you might surprise yourself

Brian-Congratulations on your 1st V45.......bit warm on Sunday wasn't it

OO-Thanks for the name check, just hope I can nail it

Gobi-Good luck for the 100k.....probably see (or hear)  you at Edinburgh or Yateley (only doing the last 2)

TR- I hope pompey do the business I'm on them at 4/5

I picked up another bloody blister on Sunday which has put doubt in my mind over the choice of shoe for Eddy, might have to dig out my old Yellow speedsters.

Tapering a bit

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    GR, I shall see you next weekend.

Just had a massage

NICE
  • Options

Good luck Gobi (and any other racers this weekend)

Steady 7 miler this pm, track for 1k reps on Saturday, 15+ Sunday.

Have a good weekend everyoneimage

• Options
    Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Best of Luck Gobi!!
  • Options

RM - seems to be the case.  As for rankings, I've just learned that times achieved on courses between 1 in 1000 and 5 in 1000 do count in rankjings but recieve an 'a'.  In over 5 in 1000 drop, the time gets a 'DH' and does not count.

Better than being Marders' 'special' ranking list image

Best of luck to Gobi at the weekend.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    All the best to anyone racing this weekend.
  • Options
    good luck Gobi
    well done Brian surprised it was your first one. Did it all go to plan?

I did my first double figure run since the marathon. 11 quite hilly. Tried to pick up the pace for the last mile, legs felt heavy! Kept looking at the garmin 7.05m/m, I was thinking that can't be right. It finished up at 6.30 for the last one so I think it was slow to respond, felt bloody hard though!
    I've another handicap 10k on tuesday, hoping to go close to 6m/m, it ought to be achievable?
  • Options

Just back from my Time Trial, bit disappointed as I was 3 seconds slower than 2 weeks ago. Late getting out of work so turned up with 5 min to spare so not in the best frame of mind.

Came 2nd again to the same chap as last time but he wasn't in the mood for playing this time and pulled out a nice lead after the first lap and I wasn't able to keep in touch with him.

The only positive was I actually went through 5k in 16:17 which was 6 seconds better than last time but I then lost all the rest in the last 0.65k.

Still got my 5000m track tomorrow to redeem myself!

• Options
    Marigold,

Don't be too hard on yourself it still sounds a good run :~)Good luck tomorrow.

Oh and well done to BRIAN, sounds like you were very happy with your perf!!

Race well at the weekend folks.

I plan an easy run tomorrow, was nearly tempted by a local 100km ultra but will give it a miss ;~)
  • Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Marigold - still good times, and it looks like you got a bit of respect from WC which is no mean feat in itself!

OO - sorry to hear things are not going to plan. What's the current situation? Just healing slowly, or are you being cautious?

OO/TR - I'm going to sit on the fence for tomorrow's game, so best of luck to you both, and hopefully you serve up a classic for the neutrals!

At club tonight (as missed my usual Wed session). Jogged there and back to keep the mileage up and the intensity down, ran 4 x 1k reps @ just inside target 10k pace off of long recoveries (just to get the legs used to moving at a bit more speed), and felt surprisingly comfortable given the current mileage level, which means I'll probably blow up in style on Sunday!!! image
  • Options

Good luck Gobi.

Norman Wilson offers his best wishes too, and acknowledges that you're on fine form. Go do it.

• Options
    Having now just read about the NY elites class, I see that we have Padams potentially lined up alongside none other than.......Hilly and Jools. Go for it girls! Get those Union Jack shorts ordered. Do they do XXS sizes?