Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Slim J - excellent news

RW-H - at the start of the year I made a list of targets for 2011, one of the craziest (I mean most ambitious) being sub 1.15 HM. Our PBs are currently about 10 secs apart. Will be fun to see if we can both do it!

Thanks for the advice re my foot. I've decided to play safe and take a few days off and hope that the foot sorts itself out. I realised that my schedule anyway was for a hard week this week and an easy week next week, so I'll just swap them round and make this week a very easy (ie no running) week. Not sure yet whether I'll do the Finchley 20 on Sunday.
  • Options

SlimJ- Great news. You must be so relieved! Fingers crossed for all three of you.

Long day at work as studying for tax exams (any of the many CA/ACAs here also done CTA? It's horrible!) - so  8 miles easy into work at about 7:10 pace, at work then studying 'til 10 (not too bad - last night was midnight and I still had a run to do!) and then 12 miles back at 7:50 pace. Just reminds me how impressive it is that some of you guys balance career, running but family as well - not sure I'd be able to do it at the moment.

• Options

SlimJ - fantastic news. What really counts.

Murph1 - great performance for your 2h15 at Wymondham

WTGY - good warning! Temptation to up the mileage is there but work restricts that aspiration until the summer anyway when I'll start training for Berlin. Will take care this week!

TR - glad you are bouncing back mentally about that one run

Tmap - interesting to spot that.

FR - lol. Maybe we'll end up pacing together at VLM

Nice mileage there HH on a long day

• Options
    CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Murph1 -- well done on going faster than planned in the 20. (That was the race I was considering racing myself, but listened to wiser heads!)

RSalter -- I stretch the shin muscle by sitting down on the bed on my legs (with my feet flat out behind me) and rocking around a bit for a minute. I also try to strengthen them by doing toe-lift exercises, walking around with my toes up in the air, and flexing the feet up (and in other directions) against hand resistance. All part of my morning routine.

FR -- I got a sore foot from lacing problems, but it was on top of the foot, not underneath.

My R calf was a bit niggly/tight/stiff up to yesterday after my MP long run effort on Sun, though I did 5M easy in the early morning sunshine. Feels OK today though, so I'll do a humdrum commuting double, and then do something longer tomorrow. The right one is always a bit more prone to post-effort soreness than the left, which I've noticed ever since Abingdon 2009 where it almost cramped up. Similarly the L shin has been more prone to trouble since then (hence the above routine). Clearly I'm not quite symmetric...

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Slim J - congrats! And great to hear everything is OK.

MrBoat - you need to go your sessions with Marigold, all fast bits with the wind!

TJK - good to hear we have another Barcelona (Marathon) fan. I couldn't really think of anything that could be improved when I ran it last year. Might do it next year again - people at the tri club are also fans so we tend to have a group out there each year.

Track last night, but took it very steady as legs were still feeling sore from the weekend (and probably cumulative effect of the La Santa trip). Then circuits which was a bit of a struggle. Nothing else hard planned for the week!

• Options

slimj puts all this into persepctive.  I'm glad its good news.

Tmap as another who is challenged on core strength, I've just started the 100 push ups (marathon talk got me on to it) and I'll go for the 200 sit ups for next xc season.  Can't harm, can it?

Wtg timely advice.  second rest day in a row carded here due to a parents evening but I had been getting very tired (3x60+ weeks on the trot, thats a lot for me, first time ever) partly due to work and late nights, but also the running.  BAck to it tonight (and I can't get out til 7:30), aiming for 50 on a cut back week.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

SJ – excellent news.

RWH – its not just the mileage to be careful of for a while after a hard race it’s the intensity too. But you’re in good hands so just listen to them.

Drifter - very wise

Padams - did Savaloy (MM) go on your La Santa trip ? He seems to do similar events to you at similar times.

HH - good juggling, its all a question of making time somewhere in the day. I dont have revision to bag as well though.

Mindful of Sundays efforts I bagged 10M in the easy running arm chair today rather than the more usual Wednesday 12 or 13 and 5. I can always do the 13 on Friday instead.

• Options
    Have had a combination of illness, lots of freelance and low motivation, so haven't went on the bike for the first time this year on Sunday.... With a 1.31ish recent half marathon the signs aren't good.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

Slim - excellent news, puts running and all that into perspective reallyimage

Drifter - sounds like a good idea with the cut back week after those solid weeks - same for me I think

FR - likewise an easy week sounds sensible. Not sure I'd want to chance a race on sunday but you'll know how your foot feels better than anyone else. What are you aiming at in London, sub 2.45?

CW - cheers re shin stretches will do them once it eases fully, hope your calf eases too.

HH - nice one on the win the other day! (forgot to mention that one)

Wardi - I think even you or I could've defended better than Williamson on saturday (well maybe not, lol)

As with a few others above I've decided (or been forced) into a cut back week following good weeks of 61, 69 & 74. Sundays 21 with 6 @ approx 6.35 probably gave the legs more of a sorting out than I thought hence the tightness which developed yesterday. Anyway shin is easing, might try an easy run later but might just rest again or do some X training and start again tomorrow. Probably back load the week with a medium long on friday and then the 24 on sunday and aim at about 55-60 for the week. Then just be sensible pre Fleet next week and hopefully see what shape I'm in a week sunday.

Some exciting news for me though on a different front, looks like me and my Stepdad are going to be doing a 25 day Everest High Passes trek end of September, something I've always dreamed of doing. image

• Options
    MrB - Very sensible, I'm really looking forward to you banging out a fast one at VLM.

SJ - Great news.

TMAP - Have you tried Pilates? It's help my core strength massively.

ZaTTu - I'm also very jealous of all the marathon training/racing, I plan to bottle it all up and let it go at VLM 2012.

TR - It's been covered but I thought your 20 went well, if you peak correctly you'll be flying at VLM.

90 mins of Pilates last night followed by 2 hours of stretching and core work this morning, progress is being made but the handbrake is still on.
  • Options
    RS78RS78 ✭✭✭

SL - I did a pilates class at the gym last week and realised how shockingly bad I've let my core become again!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Call the pace police

first 3 miles at 9.03 and then avg for the run 8.24

Oh 10.5 miles and Rach joined the group for the first time since Nov 09. She complained it was very slow.

Great news SJ
  • Options

Hail Hail

You call and I come running.  RED CARD!!!!!

• Options
    Wardi I've not totally given up on the cramp. If a new wonder drug turned up then I'd give it a go. I know I should do skipping
    but my legs at the moment are totally shot at even with the lower level of training I'm doing at the moment.

I'm pretty certain now though that it's just the way I'm made, and that as I get older the worse it becomes. Can't say I looking forward to London but I may get lucky.

SJ Great news. I hope the run in to the finish goes smoothly too.

HH You should have done CIMA. The tax exam was half a paper shared with Corporate Law. Not certain though whether that is still the case.

Off for a 10 miler now. Totally dreading it with the way my calves currently feel and that's after 2 days rest.

Dull
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RB - obviously lurking if not posting :¬)

Dull - just run slowly but don't tell the pace police
  • Options

Finally catching up on the Sunday performances I missed earlier...................

Padams,
    Fantastic 1/2M after an immense week's training.

Slim J,
    Incredible 20M race at Trimpell with a very fast finish.

TJK,
    Great running at Barcelona, really impressed to see you knock out a comfortable sub-3 as a training run.

Marigold,
    The win at MMH is becoming a regular thing. Looks like you're coming into really good form for London. Nice one.

3HW,
    A fine run at the 1/2M.

Mr Boat,
    3 min PB at Bath?!?!? Superb, that's a very sizeable chunk to take off your best time.

Jools,
    Think it's a very good sign that you were so close to your PB despite not feeling great during the race. Well done.

Tmap,
    Very well run at Barcelona. As you pointed out, you were really unwell at Christmas so running 2:57 after a compromised build-up is nothing to sniff at. Good man.

Apologies for any others I've missed. Well done all. A brilliant thread weekend.

• Options

Hail Hail

Sheer coincidence Gobi image.  Belated happy birthday BTW.

Nice to see you Dull.  You're still a hero.

Forgot to mention a moment of hilarity on Monday night.  A certain fred member who shall remain nameless probably crapped his pants when he realised he'd sent a text to me instead of somebody else.  Nothing that you wouldnt want your mother to see, thankfully!

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    My birthday was last November
  • Options
    piscatorpiscator ✭✭✭

Slimj: a reminder that running isn't that important really. Congratulations and hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well

Belated congratulations to tmap and TJK on their weekend marathons, and everyone else (sorry I'm being lazy) on some nice results.

15M in this morning, around 8mm pace and it didn't feel particularly easy. Still, it gives me 57M for the last five days so if I run the next two days I will have a 7-day rolling record.

• Options
    Meant to say well run MMH TR. Looks a good result to me and points in the right direction for London. Cracking running from BR and Hilly too, great going you two too.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    What a relief, SlimJ.  And congratulations image
  • Options

Hail Hail

Very belated.  Think it was something to do with recent posts on a certain Fetch thread.

Good to hear the news indeed Slim.  5.50s gives you 2.32.50 give or take.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    marmite/SL - thanks, I'm pretty happy now cos I (hope I) didnt smoke myself, and was able to run strongly. I was forgetting how tired I've been on all the 20s I've bagged so far, so I now reckon Sundays effort was ok. I'm not used to be so tired during the build up, so the taper should set me right.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    RB - wasnt me, I wasnt texting any of my fillies on Monday night !
  • Options
    Neil MacNeil Mac ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!1st off. Slim - great news after what musta been a terrible scare for you and your other half. Hope things are a lot less worrying from now on.

All the best.Kinda pales into insignificance after that, but I've had a bad time the last few days with injury. Went for a 24m LSR on Sunday, and basically it turned into a bit of a mare, 1st my left calf started to give me grief, felt like it'd been kicked, it was pretty damn sore, can't believe it as on Fri pm a mate had texted me saying he's started running and had a calf prob and what could he do about it - I think it jinxed me giving him advice, I've never had a prob with my calfs before! Also, and even worse, my left leg started causing problems - I think it's the sciatic nerve (so a mates sister whose a physio told me over the phone), it's not sore really but you get these twinges down your leg that make it kind of want to collapse. Had it a coupla years back and it went away, looks like it's back again. Anyway, basically had to give up and just cut run short, I was/am really gutted. Gave myself a rest on Sunday the did a very slow 11m on Monday and felt ok. Tried a Tempo run yesterday but had to stop early again as calf prob had weirdly moved up to the hamstring and the twinging/pain down the other side kicked in. Hellish. I think I kinda know the cause of the problem, to much running and not enough rest/core work  Think the body's just a bit busted really, not had a rest day for about 12 weeks and done zero core strength stuff (Stuart & RSalter - know what you mean about the lack of it!). Off to the gym tonight then clutching the trusty P&D book with pages marked at the exercises bit, instead of hoofing it along the canal.

Dunno if anyone can give any advice on any of this, and these injuries in particular (espesh weird nerve thing!), the thought that it could blow my chances of sub 3 at, or even doing, London is so disappointing. For info, I do a Tempo run on Tuesday, a Mara pace run on Thurs and a LSR on Sundays (using the P&D book formula of 20% & 10% slower than mara pace), and the rest of week is recoveries, I've been hitting high 60's/low 70's miles per week. I do plenty stretching and cold showering etc after hard efforts so can only really pinpoint too much work as the reason for it. I'm also not flush with cash so visits to pricey physios are well out my league unfortunately.

Sorry for the self indulgent waffle, just feel a bit despondent at the moment. imageHope everyone else is fighting fit.

Cheers!

Neil. Edinburgh.

PS, RB - everyone will be dying to know what that text said now!image

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

why not TR?  too tired? 

HTFU  image

been sulking this end, but maybe some light at end of tunnel starting to appear.... did 40 minutes on cross trainer today, and (like SL) doing loads of "core".  thats all the physios talk about these days! Hoping to dump the diclofenac from tomorrow, that will eb a key test as it has helped a lot.

but awesome weekend from the thread just to reiterate everyones comments.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TR - he wasn't part of our group but was there at the same time I think. I was actually there on a running club trip, but 4 of the group are doing an IM this year hence all the cycling. Even the runners ended up doing a lot of cycling actually.

RB - whoever that was must be a complete imbecile.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Is that a confession I see before me?
  • Options
    crikey, people are pulling muscles all over the place. My new theory is the return to colder weather is making these things more likely. Maybe I'll move to Iten.
  • Options
    How about this for an interesting score from the 20m race I did this weekend. He set off in the first pace group (sub7). 201 runners finished.

Finish position 200
    Gun time 04:01:58
    Group adjusted time 04:01:58
    Forname Takashi
    Surname Kitatani
    Gender Male
    Club n/a
    Pace Group Sub 7
    Age Group Senior

The last of the 10 minute mile group got in 3 minutes before he did, and she had given him a 7 minute start.

It does make you wonder where it all went wrong.

Dull