Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

TR and Selbs yes I'm quite please with getting under 1.26 before my training begins. I hope to get down to around 1.22 by the time I run the Bath Half in March. I think it's possible.

Suffering with DOMS today like a few others so sort of had a rest day. Went swimming and tried to teach myself to do front crawl finding it very hard. Just can't seem to turn my head and breath without swallowing half the pool!!

The reason being is I have always fancied doing a tri. I knew that the bike and run would not be much of a problem but I knew the swim would as I can only do breast stroke.

I have bought myself a road bike, it's a Clude Butler Milano and I'm in love with it. I'm hoping that the swimming and road biking will help with my Marathon training.

At the end of the summer I participated in 2 mini tri's and really enjoyed the experience so will definitely do some more. I would love to do an Olympic distance with an out door swim but I know I'll need to learn front crawl before hand.

Miles for October 173 most since 2010

Races 2 xc and one half.

Rest Days 8

• Options

TR: you're quite right on that front, and to put your mind at ease, the thought of getting back near 2:45 shape will be what gets me out of the door this winter!

180 miles for me this month as well as another 100 or so on the bike.

• Options
    sammy - sending healing vibes you way for a speedy recovery.

TR - Hmm maybe I could but not sure about doing 10 reps at this stage. I'm building up a Tuesday night tempo-lite session so will stick with that this side of Christmas I reckon. That and the XC and possibly a hilly 10 mile race in December will be my only fast(ish) stuff.

I still upload all my data to the Garmin site but I am really lazy and care less and less about it tbh. I like the reports at the end of the week/month but I certainly don't enter comments and drool over the HR info like I used to... just don't have the time any more. In fact I wish I had stuck to my diaries that I started using back in 2002 when I started running.

Nice monthly miles too and your previous monthly totals look good when compared to mine. May (133), Jun (71), Jul (55), Aug (28) (got a bike this month), Sep (97). So a bit up and down until this month when I got my game face on.

Brian - nice winnings on the gee gee's and well done for getting out there for 8 painful ones!

Gobi - I'm not a fan of downhill running either. I just put on the brakes too much. My fell running friends tell me all the time to let myself go but I can't. Good news on the injured bits not complaining.

Charlie - Glad the legs felt better today and best of luck with the drinking experimenting. I'm off it myself at the moment as I try and shift the extra stone I am lumping about! Not going too well this though as Mrs SJ is doing some serious baking at the moment.

SL2 - congrats to another SNOD runner!

tiger - I too got a bike in the summer (see August mileage above) and promptly rode all over the Peak District a few times before doing the Manchester century in 6hr1min ! I love it too. Hoping it too will offer some variety to the running. No thoughts on a tri though as I really can't swim.

So, a pleasing month at the this end.

191 running miles
    117 cycling miles
    0 races EDIT: I forgot about the UKA Fell relays... when I went face first in the mud!!!

3 rest days

Onwards and upwards.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

selbs - indeed, you need to get running and then dont stop !

SL2 - make sure you do it then I dont want to see you until the Red Lion this time (cos you finished way ahead of me).

Tiger - not sure a summer of reduced running (cos of swim and biek too) has done much for my marathon prep.

SJ - good mileage for Oct. I never let a carp swimmer stop me from toeing a Tri line, one day I hope to make the first 50% out of the swim ! Downhill running is good leg hardening stuff, its a staple at my end nowadays.

• Options
    League Cross country on Saturday was hard work with three nasty upflats per lap but toughened up and got it done and then dragged myself out of bed for a silly early Duathlon on Sunday, runs were fine but I died on the bike so not happy but still got second senile old git image Track tonight 20 x 30 secs flat out with 60 secs rest, again it was hard but I stuck it out and will rest tomorrow apart from some aerobic stuff in the evening. Not got the doubts about the target yet but realise just how hard it will be. I shall continue the hard work and re asses the target at Christmas as per THE PLAN.
    Not being a good swimmer in a tri makes the bike and the run so much fun as you just overtake people all day image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    www.gobi70.wordpress.com here is my Snowdon report

Here are the mile splits

1) 6:00 - Flat down and easy
    2) 6:30 - Starts to climb
    3) 7:48 - Pen Y Pass - UP
    4) 8:24 - Pen Y Pass - tight achillies but nothing serious
    5) 8:10 - Pen Y Pass - Over the top
    6) 6:25 - Pen Y Pass - Down - All over here as everyone just ran away
    7) 6:09 - Onto Gravel and big stones, not happy
    8) 6:22 - bitching, cursing and holding back

6/7/8 should have been fast 5.xx miles but I had no confidence that my leg would hold up and I wanted to finish more than I wanted a sub3

9) 6:38 - back out onto road and met a chap called James
    10)6:37 - ran with him in his first marathon
    11)6:49 - all these miles were just rolling road
    12)6:46 - felt good except for laces feeling loose
    13)7:32 - took the hit(1.47 stationary)
    14)7:23 - steady climbs
    15)7:35 - steady climbs

16)6:48 -
    17)6:46
    18)6:48 -
    19)6:51
    20)6:38 - It's about 2.19 at this point and felt right as rain
    21)6:43 - Thought this was Waenfawr start but wasn't :¬)

16 through 21 - I should have gone harder as I could have but had settled into a nice rthymn. HR stats and my general memory of this was the running of a man out on a training jog

22)7:07 - Oh here it is
    23)8:43 - Nothing spectacular but passing people
    24)8:21 - Legs felt strong so kept pushing
    25)7:42 - Still up but flattening out onto goat path
    26)7:42 - cursing as I held back but still in 1 piece
    27)1:18 - bottomed off and jogged to the finish.

Sub 3 needed me to run 5.xx down the pass, not stand still for 1.47 sorting my laces and to run 16 through 21 about 30 seconds a mile faster. The last point is interesting as I could have gone faster.

Not sure how much faster I could go up Waenfawr as it was tough, the fact I was so fresh here must have helped me. The descent was horrific and that alone means I will NEVER do this again. In honesty if I had remembered how bad it was I would not have entered.
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Nice work Gobi.

The organisers fiddled with the course in a couple of places last year, and retained the changes for 2011. 

They moved the start of the course nearer to Llanberis, so people could walk to the start rather than be ferried out in buses and cars towards Nant Peris.  This was a 'good' thing because it also meant they could finish in Llanberis High Street immediately after descending off the mountain.  Prior to 2010 there was an extra loop around the village to make up the distance.

They also diverted the course away from the A498 just after the Pen-y-Gwryd Hotel.  This section of the A498 is very narrow and very twisty and in 2009 there were several near-misses between runners and car drivers.  Unfortunately the surface of the Old Nant Gwynant road which was used to replace this section is pretty shitty, particular during the first mile or so.

For what it's worth, I think your pace during the descent from Pen-y-Pass was spot on, as long as you were running smoothly and not sitting back.  Easy to damage quads too early.  I suspect you later caught many of those who ran away from you at this point.

Miles 9-12 and especially 16-21 were the ones to take advantage of.  Good surface, and slightly downhill with a significant tailwind for 16-21.

Very nice splits for 22, 23 and 24.  Those are tough miles!  You seem to have ran climbed well out of Beddgelert as well.  A lot of people forget about the middle climb, which is not very steep but does drag on for a good 2 miles.

If legs recover well, then it's a job well done.  A bit shit on the downhills but strong on the climbs.

B+ I think.

But you *know* there's unfinished business..

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    SL2 - thanks for not mentioning my comedy tumbles.  In return, I won't divulge the difficulty you had walking back to the car which was parked 600 metres from the finish image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Njord - no unfinished business, I race because I want to and I can say that although it is an unforgettable race I have no need or desire EVER to run it again.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi – I still think it was a good performance. What is the plan now going forward ? Flat marathons only ? no more marathons ? short distance races only ?duathlons ? getting the wettie back out ? Obviously you need to get your leg rehabbed first anyway.

• Options

Morning All,

SJ, Good monthly mileage, and good luck shifting the ballast. Ditto re: the fell and downhill running.
    Just can't take my brains out.

Tiger, Easy on those miles.

Gobi, Enjoyed your honest report.

Miles: 160
    Rest days: 12 (incl taper and a week off)
    Races: 2

November will be easy running for another 2 weeks (Tenerife on Friday for a week), then start to ramp up in preparation for HM in January.

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Gobi wrote (see)
    I race because I want to

Abso-fcking-lutely.  This is what it is all about.

Enough goading from me.

• Options

Morning,

Gobi - good report, sounds like a tough race, hope it didn't break you any more.

Sounds like the mileage is going well for TR, Tiger, SJ, Brian et al.

Selbs - there is hope, I was quite broken in July and August, did 49 and 34 miles then got 142 in Sep and:

October miles:  308 (highest ever by 45 miles)
    Rest days:  4
    Races:  Kind of 1 XC but didn't run it hard

Looking for same same this month

CW - hope your leg keeps improving, sounds encouraging.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - solid if unspectacular

I have some unfinished business in South Africa next year but come next June there is a hight possibility I will have much larger gaps between my marathons. I may however stop.

The Wettie is for sale if anyone wants a very good hardly used one. I have no intention of doing triathlons again. (said this before though)
  • Options
    Njord wrote (see)
    SL2 - thanks for not mentioning my comedy tumbles.  In return, I won't divulge the difficulty you had walking back to the car which was parked 600 metres from the finish image

Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Options
    Gobi - sounds like a tough race, nice report. Sorry it didn't go better for you.

I turned V40 last week. Still in two minds about VLM12. My VLM times from the past 2 yrs would have ranked me #1 and #2 Vet respectively in the UK for 2011. I have a faint desire to be ranked #1 Vet in Olympic year, but I'm not sure I can get overly excited by it.

Managed to get a race in last weekend while over in LA for work. A 25k race in the mountains behind Malibu - format was simple, run up a 3000 ft mountain and then back down again. Wonderful views from the top but it was hard work and hot. Managed to get lost once at the top and had to run to the person in 2nd to find the turn I missed - added about 1 mile. I got the win, but it was a very (very) low key race. Legs were in bits for days afterwards. God knows how DanA et al manage 20,000+ ft of climbing.

Mileage still just ticking over at ~40M per week with no speed work.
  • Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Gobi - can't tell from that whether you enjoyed it or not. I guess anything sub 3h15 is damn good. It sounds fun enough for me to consider entering next year.

Coro - just about the most understated win ever on here. Hope you do rediscover the mojo for 2012. A #1 ranking would be a great thing to look back on with pride for the next 40 years. Happy birthday btw

Click here for the Xempo autumn newsletter. Interview with Marders plus Marigold's winter training tips. Also competitions to win free stuff, race reviews, photos, discount codes etc. Feel free to pass on to anyone you know who might be interested.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dan - in all honesty it was OK but crap weather and that descent mean not enough to do it again
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

DanA - great newsletter, particular the interview with Marders.

Coro - it's got to be tempting to have a go at the #1 ranking. And I read "no speed work" as "all speed work" when it comes from you! Belated happy birthday.

Easy day for me yesterday with just a swim.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Coro - plenty if time to get the urge prior to VLM yet, I hope you make the campaign, you're my VLM build up alarm clock ! Happy b'day.

Dan - nice newsletter, I felt sure that picture of me in action in my red Xempo T shirt was a winner ! 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Coro.. go for it fella.  I know a couple of runners locally who have won their age group at the LM.  The prize is carp - a wooden plaque; but the feelgood factor, the glory and the memories have stayed with them.  Anyway, Bilton is a V45 now. image  Nice win BTW.

Well dones to Njord & SL for amateur mountaineering skillls.

Dan.. enjoyed the newsletter.  I was thinking of getting the Mrs a white Xempo top for xmas so I'll have to guess what size she is.  I suppose I could always put my arms around her!

7m with the club tonight, cracking day up here.

• Options

Coro, belated birthday wishes. As regards the ranking, go for it!
    Number 1 in the UK sounds sweet. Congrats on the win btw.

DanA, I don't think I meet your requirements for a modelling contract, but thanks for the exposure anyway.image

Another 70min towpath womble. A few puddles to contend with but, other than that, lovely
    conditions.

• Options

hi peeps image

some good stuff going on over the last week. sorry about contributing naff all recently over the last weekend an stuff.

Gobi well done on your Snowdon result.

10k for me on sunday on a hilly course in 36:27 for 6th place. a little dissapointed to off not been able to keep the speed going up the hills, i guess we all get off days.

16x400m in 78secs this morning for me with a 3mile warm up and cool down @9min pace. everthink else at 9min mile pace.

• Options

Coro go for it. It would be a great achievement.

Brian I will watch the miles. Only did 4 today as the legs still feel heavy from Sundays effort.

Plum had to laugh at your comment passing bikers and runners but it's not all day!! they were only beginners tri's and were over in under 2 hours. How people do an Ironman, I don't know. I have full respect for them.

SJJ do you live near the Peak District? I don't live to far from the south side. One of my tri's was at Matlock.

• Options
    "Plum had to laugh at your comment passing bikers and runners but it's not all day!! they were only beginners tri's and were over in under 2 hours. How people do an Ironman, I don't know. I have full respect for them."

You just grit the teeth and keep going left leg, right leg, left leg right leg till some bloke stops you, bit like the last 5 or 6 miles of a marathon but it goes on for ruddy hours image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Coro - you know it makes sense, if you can put in a small block of training you seem to run very fast.

I entered Comrades last night.

Ran 3.5 miles this morning after 3 days of complete rest. Feel ok actually.
  • Options
    >I entered Comrades last night.
    as one does....you say this like you've just made a cup of tea!

DanA - I was impressed by your newsletter, very professional. FYI - your Xtempo top was worn on my recent US race....they seemed to like it out there.

I had a read of Scott Overall's blog last night, it makes running 2:10 sound easy!

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - nice one, gives you a winter focus. Get your leg sorted sooner rather than later then !

Coro - well done on the Xempo overseas marketing

todays morning aerobics was 9M inc middle 5 at ~MP, wouldn’t fancy 10 at ~MP at the mo though.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    TR - I'm saving you for a rainy day. Maybe when I do a ladies special and I need a few hunks on the front cover.

Brian - apologies for not asking you in advance about using your photo. But found it on a website and it's a good genuine runner-in-action shot.

Coro - thanks for being my US ambassador. The plan has always been to expand into the US, European and possibly Japanese market in due course. Anyone who has run overseas will know that far more than the Brits, these guys love to show off their running performances. Quite right too imo!!

In fact, our first overseas sale this year was to a sub 2:45 runner in Brescia, Italy. No idea how he came across us because we only advertise in the UK.

But as the marketing men at Gillette say...."just add one blade at a time"
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    nice work TR.  you seem to be doing a bit more faster stuff than usual of late.  Part of a grand plan?