Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Good plan there TR, coming together nicely.

Didn't comment on overdistance training as I've never done it, and probably never will.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    10M last night and 5M this morning.  Piriformis is a bit niggly, so amused everyone in the office by doing many stretches on my arrival.  Hoping for 10M home this evening, as long as the stretching has done its magic!
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Big miles Joolska.  Hope the pf eases.

Forgot to say, nice one DanA. Have done the Dent 14 on a few occasions. Tis a lovely area, and a rather quaint village and race. Would have loved to seen the faces on the locals at the finish!

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

so was it you who broke the website then Brian?? naughty naughty. image

nice miles folks - i'll join in once i'm doing a few more... hopefully sonn!

• Options

Evening.

Seems like now it's getting cold and dark everyone is out running and upping the mileage, there's some good training going on.

Gobi - good luck at the weekend, if your body holds together it sounds like you've got some decent speed and hopefully get your sub-4 (by an hour or so!).

Didn't Charlie do a 30m training run a fair bit before the marathon just for fun?  Biggest run I did was 23.5m in a 6m steady, 6m MP, 1m HMP, 6m MP, 1m MP then 3.5m slow stylee.  No idea what paces I ran as my Garmin stopped working so I wore my old casio and just guessed distances and speeds but the run came out at 6.50 pace overall so must have been fairly close.  Was aiming for about 6.30 MP and 6ish HMP.  I walked twice.  This was my favourite run of the whole campaign.

11m including 8 with the club yesterday evening and 13 much slower ones this morning on my own.  Was sunny up here but bloody freezing.

• Options

SJ/TR/LJ yes I like some overdistance training; my most comfortable marathon was after a summer holiday of slow but lengthy fell-running adventures, and I did the odd full- or slightly over-distance run before VLM this year, including a not-really-raced off-road marathon. I feel the legs just aren't conditioned to cope with the full event otherwise, and I've hit the wall pretty badly in the past at 22-24M. But it's hard to say from just one or two tries whether it really helped doing the full distance in training, and I still hit the wall somewhat in VLM this time anyway.

Jools -- continuing impressive training there; hope your piriformis settles down and doesn't turn into a full-blown nightmare! I can recommend the tennis ball treatment (roll around on it until you find a sore spot, then rest on that spot for 20 sec until it's forced into submission and relaxes, etc). The "standard" figure-of-4 stretch doesn't really seem to stretch the right spot at all -- I found heaving my knee towards the opposite shoulder better. Still struggling with my nerve though; it's become more cranky again image

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

I recall marders mentioning to me in Berlin that he harboured secret ambitions of being the speediest superhero runner of them all... One of the most striking things about Berlin for me was the fact that it took me until the 36th km to pass a man dressed as Minnie Mouse. I'm pretty certain he'll have finished sub 3.

Some great training going on here. I've been off radar for a bit, much busier at work and stresses in advance of moving flat. Have the Great South Run on Sunday so have done some running for that, including doing the distance in somewhere between 56 and 57 mins last Saturday, which I was pretty surprised by. Maybe it's just the confidence boost from having done Berlin, but I feel more capable of doing swifter tempo and interval paces (have run 10km "tempo" sections twice now in 34:25ish, which is about a minute faster than my previous 10k solo time trial).

Good luck for all racing this weekend.

Lev

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Another one on the Brass Monkey list here.  Spotted Rununman, LS21, Njord, BR & Hilly on the start list.  Good to see Brian & Selbs heading for a thread smackdown too.  No sign of Marders though so his course record is obviously up for grabs!
  • Options

Still on the road to recovery after abingdon, not much mileage to post, first run of 34mins today and calves a bit heavy. Many more beers than miles this weekend so recovering after a heavy few days on the piste.

I'd like to keep a good base going over the next few months and then build again towards london, noted a  few pages back what you did MTR did after Abo 2009 and on to london(2:51) I'd be more than happy with progress like that

Interesting debate on HR, recently using one myself but usually just monitoring rather than setting pace by it

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Re long runs and MP efforts: The longest run I did for Abingdon was 24 miles run progressively starting at 7.30m/m and finishing at 6.55m/m (av 7.13m/m which was about 46secs slower than MP). The P&D schedule gave me MP runs of 8mi, 10mi, 12mi and 14mi. The last two were difficult running alone without a number on.

Currently trying to decide whether to get a place for the Bath Half or run the MMH20, both on the same day 6 weeks out from VLM12. Think I'll go for the Bath Half and then run a controlled 24mi which the schedule throws up the following week. Just worried I'd race to hard in the MMH.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MrB - that made me smile. Running a controlled pace comes in handy on marathon day and is a good skill to learn and practice. Always makes me smile when folks say that cant trust emselves to run slow enough, its a training run to prepare for the big day after all...................besides who says that 20 at MP burns more matches than a flat out (?) 1/2 ?

Lev - makes me smile too..............that you are running 10M in 56 mins in training , yet needed convincing of you ability to run comfortably under 3hrs !...................Hope the wind is kind on Sunday for you, its my local race where I set my manly PB of 64:20 !

• Options
    Evening,

Missed the Brass Monkey so Helsby here I come for my 'see where I'm at' New Year half... if I remember to enter that.

Interesting comments re: over distance. I think I'll do more 24's than 20's at any rate since this has always been my Achilles heel. Also liked all the variations you guys put into the long runs, keeps it interesting.

Jools - Hope the niggles disappear.

Just a 10 tonight as an extended run home from the office. Really getting into this running from work malarkey.

EDIT: Helsby is full too.. bummer

• Options

Unlucky SJ. I just about scrapped myself into the Brass Monkey at 9.55 which was 5 minutes before it was supposed to open. I am still amazed by the popularity of this race and it does not attract anything like the quality fields of other local races like the Abbey Dash.

Regarding long runs. My longest before Abingdon was 22 miles but I tried to do a weekly marathon pace run of 10 to 12 and just tried to keep doing them until that pace felt comfortable.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Morning All,

SJ, Unlucky on the Jan 1/2 front.

Wardi, I think congrats are deffo in order to anyone that got in to the BM. Sub-80 or bust for me.

Jamesito, Thats a key marathon session in my book. And thats why I slowed at Abo. Only did 2x10M at MP runs. I would normally do 4-6, with the last one a 12miler.

MrB, I think the 20M race 6 weeks out is ok. It depends on whether you are prepared to have an easy week following. At that stage in the mara training, an easy week sometimes goes against the grain.

Managed just short of 7 miles yesterday, legs felt a little heavy and tired. All easy running now till 14th November when I will start some speedier stuff.

Good luck Saturday Gobi

• Options

Morning

Missed the Brass Monkey too! It was full by 17.00 yesterday.

Joolska...some miles there. Hope the pain in the butt did not follow you home!

MrB I'm in Bath Half got in free for GFA. Can't believe they offer that.  Did it last year for the first time. I was very impressed with the race. Also enjoyed the weekend in Bath with Mrs TR.

SJ Your not having much look.....you sure you're a saint???image

On the subject of distance training I've never gone further than 22/23. I try to do about 2 of these thrown in amongst 6/7 20's. One of the 20's will be a race run at MP.

Yesterday 12 miles.

Today 4 easy.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Tiger, It was full by 11:20!!!

Oh and Selbs, be afraid, be very afraid. You write owt on here I don't like and I bring the whole shooting match crashing down, again.imageimage

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Tiger - really they have a GFA free entry?  what is the criteria - i suspect i may have just thrown away £39.  Mind you with my record of making races anyway, i half expect it to be thrown when i enter.... but as an eternal optimist i keep entering.  Off to physio again tomorrow to see if they can shed any more light on my nerve damage i seem to have had for 3 months now.

Brian, i don't care what THEY all say about you - top bloke in my book image

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Bath Half Entry details

Looks like free entry for sub 75 male vet 40 and sub 85 for male vet 50. I got a good for age last year and started from the front but still had to pay a small fortune.

Brian: I still need to do a big week the following week finishing with a progressive 24mi on the Sunday. That's why I'm leaning towards Bath...a little.

TR: you know what I'm like. Now you've given me more to think about image....probably do neither now.

Edit: just filled in a GFA request form for Bath...don't need to pay anything yet.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MrB - seems a bit daft to drive to Bath when MMH is on yr doorstep, depends what your target MP is for VLM I guess. You can run a few miles at the start of MMH with me if you like, I'll shout at you if you run too fast ! Last yr I did 15 at approx MP+15 secs, and then picked it up. Your MP +15secs could be more like my MP, so might fit nicely !

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Bath says I'm eliteimage, and I'm prepared to believe them.

Trouble is I have a XC on that dayimage

Selbs, Ta?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I cant believe Brass Monkey was full by 11.20. Is it that good or do you northerners just not get many races ?

All running is done now and I am actually resting until Saturday, we drive up tomorrow.

Not 100% and not running flat out BUT I am going out at sub3 pace.... I can't help it :¬)
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Gobi, where generally busy racing our whippets.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Flat cap, pipe ?
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    TR: The bit about being on the doorstep was exactly what the wife said. She also mentioned that Bath is the best part of £40. The main reasons for Bath is, 1/ it fits in with my schedule a bit better and 2/ I ran a nice pb there last year. I do like your idea though. I'll leave it 'til the last minute to decide I think.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MrB – no worries, I’ll be there anyway. I’m going down the same Stubbington 10k, Chichester 10k and then build up towards MMH and VLM route as last year.

Gobi – I would have thought that a sub3 st Snowdon is worth a lot more on a flat course, so fair play to you if you still bag a sub3, all the best with it.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Gobi, Yes you've got the picture. Speaking of whippets, hope you knock em dead on Saturday. You've managed the niggle really sensibly, really hope you get what you deserve.

8.3 very slow tow path miles. A la my old avatar. 

Wetherby Races for me on Saturday - any of you fredders budding tipsters? 

• Options
    TR wrote (see)

Gobi – I would have thought that a sub3 st Snowdon is worth a lot more on a flat course, so fair play to you if you still bag a sub3, all the best with it.

Is the Snowdon route the same as it was 19 years ago? That was the last marathon I  ran before this year and was pretty much spot on 3, just over I think by a minute or so. The day was awful, gusts and gales and heavy rain. I had my kid brother stationed half way round and he gave me a dry top to change into. Key was pace: I started with a mate who was a bit crocked and he dropped out at the top of the Llanberis Pass so it was an easy start uphill, then I rolled down to Beddgelert to hit 10 miles without feeling I'd done anything. Next 10 rolled by with a bit of a tail wind and then up and over the hump at the end for 26.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    PMJ- wow that's a great memory!!!  i struggle to remember details of any races a few hours after i have run them (although that could be to do with what i do for a few hours after i have run them) image
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the kind enquiries after the pain in the butt...  Seems ok now, although I ended up with only 7M home; that was primarily because I didn't leave work until 9pm!
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Gobi.. the Brass Monkey used to be a 'local race for local people' in the early 90's. image  In the last 10 years it has simply got more & more popular and folks travel from further away.  TBF to the host club it is very well organised & marshalled and the facilities are very good (no showers though).  There is also the small matter of half marathons being very fashionable.  BTW all the best for Saturday, hope you have a cracker.

Jools.. good to hear the body is just about holdng together.

Selbs.. you asked about nosh in York, what sort of stuff?  Pub grub, posh cuisine or a curry house?  Not sure whether you wanted feeding the night before or post race!  My home town pubs (6 miles away) sell lager at £1:75 a pint if you fancy a post race thirst quencher.

Did my first double post bench today, 4+7m.  Feels like a turning point of sorts. 

Ran with a young lad tonight (24) who has been showing up on club nights.  In 2009 he ran a 1:25 half and a 3:17 marathon off football training and a few long runs.  Tried to up the pace over half a mile and he left me for dead, definitely some talent there.  He just needs encouraging & advising on the usual do's and dont's.