Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

DanA - nice one, comfortably under 18 mins nowadays

gobi - not sure what a good time is on that course (no one responded to my comment the other day), but 3:06 sounds decent and worth well under sub3 on a flat course. Sounds like a good day out to me. However I assume you were hoping for quicker.

Padams - thats one way to fitness test a sore achilles !

• Options

well done Gobi

Serious party that Padams, nice mileage

Very encouraging times tigerunner in you forties , im hoping my best years are still ahead of me, 41 now. catching up with overdue diy at home this weekend , hope to use the extra hour with the clocks going back for my run tomorrow morning

• Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

tigerrunner: that's a great record for an over 40. I'm approaching 46 and I'm thinking that maybe I'd peaked at Abingdon this month but looking at your times there has given me encouragement to perhaps have a good go at breaking the 2:45 barrier at VLM12. Just had an easy couple of weeks and will start upping things a little next week with a couple of quicker sessions. Start marathon training again on 19th Dec.

Gobi: Not sure how many of us on here have tackled a hilly marathon; I haven't. You've got to be pleased with that time considering you knew you had issues to start with...sounds like you ran well within yourself.

DanA: Nice win; that's similar to my 5K time.

Anyone running the GSR tomorrow? Just looked at the forecast and it may be ok on the seafront with a light SW breeze but that can all change knowing the south coast.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    MrB - was a bit breezy when I was out on the bike earlier so it  looks like the usual wind against on the 2M along the seafront at the end, although I dont think it'll be that strong. 
  • Options

Looks good to me Gobi

TR - when I did it, 'general concensus' was for 20mins slower than flat (if flat was around 3.00) - but hugely dependant on the weather  - for me a big highlight of the race was the exhilaration of coming off pen y pass then running down hill for miles to Beddgelert amongst big scenary - one of the biggest highs I've had in running (but it was great weather....).

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

FR.. been to Kathmandu twice and I don't remember severe pollution problems.  More danger from cows walking down the street TBH!  I once put one leg down an uncovered drain on a dark night though thankfully suffered nothing more than a dirty leg & trousers.

Many congrats Gobi, the weather didn't sound too good.

Blimey, that's a very full day of exercise Padams, glad the achilles behaved.

RS.. good to hear you are in an 'onwards & upwards' situation & have a diagnosis.  I predict 2-2 for Monday night. 

DanA & FR.. nice Parkrun wins, well done fellas.

Tiger.. very impressed with your history.  I was pretty bomb proof injury wise until I was 50, I've had 2 longish lay offs since however.

16.3 miles done this morning av.7:45 pace, nice day for it.  52 miles for the week which is my biggest total since April. image

• Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Padams that's an obscene amount of running to do in a day.

Great wins, Dan A and FR. Yet to do a parkrun myself but might go in for Hackney or Finsbury over the next couple of months as I'm about to move to highbury and have no immediate bigger training plans.

Not sure who else was doing the GSR today. Have to say, I really didn't enjoy the wind, tho apparently it was worse a couple of years ago. Fighting talk of a course record at the starting line but I think the winner came home a good minute slower in 46 or so.

Finished in 57.51, which was about a minute short of my training run last week but in light of the wind, an absurdly stressful week at work involving very little sleep and the fact that i ended up doing a bit more than the 10 mile distance wasn't such a bad result...

I suppose it's base training for the rest of winter now...

Hope all's well with all.
  • Options
    Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭
    Nice run Lev. A friend of mine just rang to say it was windy for the last couple but nothing like a couple of years ago. I went over the Purbecks for 13mi this morning and noticed the wind was a fair bit fresher than forecast.
  • Options

I've been away for a couple of weeks so a bit to catch up with.  Family holiday in Mauritius, really nice to get away.  Enough running cycling & swimming to be able to say I've done some, but mostly R & R.  Swimming consisted of a few lengths of the pool before too many people  were about, really nice that time of the morning.  Cycling involved taking out one of the hotel's shonky MTBs on some of the quieter (& steeper!) roads, some nice climbs rewarded by some great views.  Running was either a few miles outdoors in 30 ºC heat or in the gym.  A decent enoug gym but the treddies couldn't do basic maths - speed would say 15.5 kph but it would still take over 4 minutes to clock the next km.  Frustrating, especially when the aircon isn't enough to stop the sweat pouring. 

Back to the grindstone now though.  Time difference and the clocks going back meant I was up very early this morning, so I took advantage and snuck in a few miles with some mates.  All good stuff.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

MG - thanks, sounds like Gobi did pretty well then

Nice miles from Wardi and holiday miles from CD

Lev - decent showing then. You know its windy down there when you can barely make fwd progress !

When I was doing my mile reps on Fri, two fellas cruised past me having a chat, one of them came 3rd at GSR today, I thought he looked like a runner.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    GSR for me, too: 70.33 - the legs just weren't interested in going any faster than 7m/m and the headwind cost me a bit (but agree it was nowhere near as bad as 2009, when I nearly cried).

At the risk of being lazy, I've explained in a fraction more detail on www.runninghomeforchristmas.wordpress.com, but the gist is that due to grumbly piriformis I've decided to make this a 65M week not a 75M week. I'll try and arrange a massage or 2 for next week to try and correct this niggle and hopefully I can hit 75M and beyond over the next 5 weeks.
  • Options

TR hope you have recovered from that fantastic effort of reps.

Wardi.. that's a decent weeks mileage. I got up to just 50 the week before last and that was the most since 2010. I felt tired though.

MrB don't let being in your 40's stop you. Its down to having the time to train properly and staying injury free. Go for it mate.

Gobi that's a fantastic time to do in any marathon let a lone a mountain one! Be proud of that time mate.

Lev under the hour for 10 miles brill !

CD well done for running in such heat. That's one thing I can't do, run in warm conditions. It just saps my energy. I don't sweat much and just end up hot, flustered and with a glowing red face.image Bit like this but at least with a smile!

For me today it was the Worksop Half a race to see how my current fitness level is. Last year ran 1.26ish so was hoping to do similar today. There was a good turn out from our club about 15 lads and 6 girls. At the start I went off pretty steady as it has a gradual incline leading into a steep hill, followed by undulations to about 5 miles. I'm not the fastest starter so let all the young guns from the club go off in front hoping to catch them later.

Went through 5 miles in 32.40 feeling comfortable and starting to see the lads in front. Race on! Tried to go a bit quicker but was finding it hard and my left hamstring started to give me the odd twinge now and again.

By 10 mile I was starting to get closer to my club mates and at 11 caught 2 of them exchanged a few words as you do and pushed on to try and catch the front 2 who were about another 100m in front. The 12 mile marker was just in sight when I caught one and then the other. It was all down hill from here and I knew I had timed it well and just had to hang in.

About 400m to go I heard foot steps behind and see a club green vest pull a long side say hello and kick on opening up a 10 yard gap. It's the same young club lad who came passed me at the end of last weeks xc race. He had done me again, twice in one week. Fair play to him, he is improving all the time and knocked nearly 3 minutes off his pb. The other lads were just behind me. Think we had 5 club runners within a minute of each other.My time was 1.25.42 so pretty pleased with the effortimage. The winning time was 1.09.

After the race we all met in the pub sank a few beers before getting the mini bus home. It was a good club day out. That's what I really enjoy about running.

• Options

Joolska well done on your GSR especially with a troublesome piriformis. I know what that's like.

A massage seems the right thing to do. If I can pluck uo the courage I might have one myself!

• Options

Gobi - good effort at Snowdon.

Tiger - likewise at Worksop.  To answer your question I'm not training for a specific race apart from VLM next year but I'm just trying to become a better runner at the moment and as I haven't been at it long I feel I need to get some good consistency of mileage in to help me play catch up.  I guess it's a base phase at the moment and I'm enjoying it and feel that my fitness is improving nicely.  Will do some races before Christmas to see where I'm at but will just train through all of them.  I still need to do a sub-17 5k and sub 61 10miler to hit all the goals I wrote down at the beginning of the year.  Haven't done a 10miler yet but feel that will be quite a lot easier.

Good parkrun wins from Dan and FR, think I'll have to do another soon.

Nice time at GSR Lev and solid race from Jools too by the sound of it.

FR - I've been to Nepal and don't remember the pollution being that bad but like Wardi says the road surfaces are pretty dodgy so be careful with that.  The mountains are amazing but I'll be impressed if you manage much running up there.

• Options
    Hi all.sorry to jump in and steer off topic. I was hoping that someone could have a look at my request for pace advice and see what they think because i havent been having much luck with it in the other forum.thank you. http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/marathoners/pace-advice-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Runner CommunitiesForum:960108738Discussion:bde0031f-337c-4d4b-b892-0d23f6ba1f92Post:902d8d7d-cdb3-4e78-99df-56cd71a29350
  • Options
    Okay so bit of a read back...

TR - Impressive mile session the other day. Don't think I could do that at the minute.

Padams - hope sore achilles has improved. Read on later re: the 33 mile day.. guess its okay.

LJ - Nice weeks training there, hope the hangover today wasn't too bad...

Wardi - quite annoyed I missed the BM entry now, not that I'm suggesting I would of been interested in a sub 75 minute train anyway, the beer sounded good though.

RS78 - Excellent news on confirmed diagnosis. Onwards and upwards then.

Dan A - Nice cheeky win at the parkrun. I won one of those once in a race that never was! The race wasn't on but 50 or so had turned up and decided to run it anyway... story of my life.

tiger - Great reading your history. Best of luck for the forthcoming campaign. Read on a little more... excellent result and report at Worksop! A nice marker laid down.

Gobi - Good result up there and sounds like you managed the conditions well. I was entered into that race last year but had to pull out due to injury/apathy. Its on my list of races I'd like to do before I die (I don't really have a list called that but you get my drift)

Lev - Well done although slower than a training run?? Nice "base" training.

Jools - Fair result though considering the mileage your putting in? Hope the massage irons out the troubling piriformis.

An encouraging week personally with a few more miles added to my midweek run to make it a 10 and another 17 yesterday which felt miles easier than last Saturdays. I can really feel the conditioning coming back and all these race reports sort of makes me feel like getting a marker down this side of Christmas myself.

My Garmin is being a "dick" by freezing and not uploading data! It's it's first real wobble so shouldn't complain. I bet TR's desktop calendar doesn't have these issues.
  • Options

Some great running going on there at GSR and Worksop, well done folks

Went out myself for a few easy miles this morning and felt a bit of knee pain, inside of the knee, got gradually worse so sacked it after about 40mins, nothing to be gained pushing on at this stage , 2 weeks after marathon. So a bit of foam rolling, stretching and rehab for me next few days

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Jools - today was always going to be a tough ask, given your recent miles (and niggles)

Tiger - 1:25 shows not far off sub3 form before the campaign has even started ! I had heavy legs on my bike y'day, but no DOMs surprisingly, so all the recent thumping down that big hill near me is paying off and hopefully I wont find my 1/2 mara in a few weeks as much of a struggle as the one 3 weeks ago.

LJ - build up sounds good to me, I'm doing similar, although I'm not going to do a 5k or 10M, I need to preserve my 10M PB, its from my even more numpty era than this numpty era !

SJ - good miles, you could do that session, it isnt fast running, it just gets pretty hard in the last few reps. My desk planner is ace, I just have to get the tippex out if I write in the wrong day by mistake.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

8M bagged in the rain today, that gives me ~140M for the month which is a lot better than the approx 75M/month that I’ve done for the previous 5 months.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Some pats on the back are due for efforts this weekend, Gobi especially with a hindered build-up, a terrific achievement just to hit the start line, never mind a 3:06 on a hilly, windy and wet course!

Big up to fellow coffin dodger TigerRunner, good result at Worksop, bettering your target.

Lev, thats wierd! Slower than in your training run??? Can't comprehend that.

Jools, A solid rather than spectacular run at GSR. But all-in-all a nice warm feeling when you look back at the miles you've logged.

TR, Wow! I am impressed with that session! A man possessed!!

I was about 15quid up on Saturday at the horse racing. We had 3 winners between us (Mrs B had 2). Followed it up with a hungover 8 miles yesterday.

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Morning TR, X-post. Good mileage matey.
  • Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Gobi - nice running for a fat lad. 

We'll make a fell runner out of you yet.

Actually, there might be enough for two.

<Njord throws plenty of stones around his glass house>

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

CD - sounds a nice holiday

TR - v good month and sounds like the running conditioning is coming back nicely.  your mileage compares very favourably to my last 3 months of 56, 27, 54.  Hoping to do something about that now though!

Jools - solid effort on top of the large mileage as others have said - coming together nicely i think.

Padams - that is some days mileage!  you should have a think about "The Wall" run!

Lev - thats still a swift 10 miler even if a bit slower than you might have liked. As others have said - can't fathom doing a 10 mile race slower than a training run!

Tiger - top stuff, as TR said - sounds like you are already clsoe to sub 3 shape, and only at the beginning of a campaign - bodes very well. 

Gobi - sounds a very tough race/conditions - so the time sounds great - hope you have pulled up un injured/ok.

apologies anyone i have missed.

i did some hill reps in a short Saturday run.  Sore glutes now - guess that is good?

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    SJ - I understand and I always said I would run it once having jogged it. On reflection I should have stuck with having jogged it. The off road descents were not for me and far worse than I remembered. I lost 3 places in the last mile where running downhill I ran the same pace as the mile before which was up hill.

Njord - no way I'm retired from these type of races. Road courses with slight rolling bits from now on.

No blog written yet as I am still on holiday and relaxing but it should get written tonight.

Is it worth 20 minutes on a road course ? No way, I shall analyse when I have time but a quick scan assuming weather was the same tells me that around 2.54 on a flat course Saturday would have been the best I could do. So in % numbers worth about 7%

I'm not happy or sad about the time, it was safe. I knew as soon as I topped Pen Y Pass that I was not going sub 3 as glancing down at the garmin I saw 6.xx miles and not 5.xx and all the people I climbed with ran into the distance.

I have DOMS but the injured bits feel no worse so I think I have escaped pretty intact and that shows me I did the right thing.

Lev - I am going to say what others may be thinking.

1. you ran too hard in training
    2. you left a faster 10 miler on the training ground.

Running a flat out 10 miler in training the week before a 10 mile race was at best silly and at worst, you can work it out.

I have a phrase for you

Train to race, don't race in training.

• Options

I'm a bit out of touch but at the risk of repeating everyone else, well done on those parkrun victories DanA & FR, well done on your half tigger, keep taking the pills Padams, that's still a quick time in the wind Lev, and heroically endured Gobi (I heard about the conditions from someone else who did it, who had a lot of trouble operating his shoelaces with hypothermic hands...).

I intended a 15M run yesterday but binned out after 4 laboriously slow miles as the niggles were too threatening. But today I woke up early and realised my legs felt good, so I sneaked out of bed and did the long run after all: 15.1M @ 7:16/M, the best run I've done in 2 months. I'm still not quite out of the woods -- my sciatic nerve still shows irritation if I sit on normal chairs, and I have a bit of a niggle going at the top of my thigh -- but I think I'm on the up. I did 24M last week.

I have experimentally given up liquor, as there are anecdotal reports of it aggravating sciatica, and it is true that determined alcoholics get peripheral nerve problems, so it's plausible that the recovery of an already-damaged nerve would be affected by modest amounts; I'll stay dry unti next weekend (about 10 days) and then do some drinking to see if it worsens, otherwise I won't know if it's made any difference :- ).

• Options
    Well done Gobi, sounds tough, glad you've stayed intact.

You seem to have held your own nicely tigerrunner.

Well done Joolska, watch the niggle though.

Lev, nice position yesterday. Why did you end up doing more than 10 miles? You and I now have identical race PBs for 10 miles. You're about 6 minutes ahead of me in training - although tbh I've never really tried. Parkruns are good, I find them a relaxed way of running faster than I otherwise could in training.

That's about 40 more miles than me this month TR !

Sounds like good news CharlieW.

Padams - wow! A big day.
  • Options

Thought I'd delurk again after managing to run a marathon with seemingly no major damage. Well that and to laugh at Njord for starting Snowdonia discussing the fringes of legality when it comes to rolling down hills and ending it rolling down a hill...

Having had a skim of the last few pages it appears that there's still the usual mix of good racing and training with some unfortunate bench inhabitants.

Gobi: I'm with you, 20 minutes seems far to steep, and at a rough calculation your 7% seems a decent suggestion as I reckon I'm in about 3:15-3:20 shape and did 3:30 on Saturday.

• Options

Gobi- Nice one mate. Was waiting for your report before saying well done. You've managed the last few months very well and am glad that you appear to have come out relatively happy and unscathed.

I ran 3.08 last year and I think I was in sub 3 shape (had damaged ankle and not trained for 3 weeks).  Conditions were similarly awful with sun through to stinging hail stones.

Glos it is then :-0

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

FR – you have a good reason for “only” 100M in Oct !

Selbs – that’s not decent consistency from your end, unfortunately. 

SL2 – nice to see you here. If you are “only” in 3:15 then you need to get to it in order to get back under 3 hrs again at VLM. It wasn’t long ago that you were aiming 2:45, so crack on !

Hopefully I’ll up the ~140M to nearer 200M this month, but with a LSR of only 15M and 3 other runs/week 50M/week is a bit sporty to achieve,  so I shall concentrate on frequency and consistency for now anyway. I have further to come back from this winter than last winter, in order to bag another 2:5X in the spring.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    yeah TR - nothing like travel for work and play and injuries to ruin conistency.  Hoping to get back to it now and form a half decent VLM campagin - but it's a long way off so first goal has to be just to get fit again.  Pretty happy my torn calf has actually got better a lot quicker than i expected so glad i can jog again.