Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options
    Nice running TR. Sounds pleasant!

Good news Luke.

First couple of runs back for me over the weekend - 6k and 10K (sorry, that we work in kilometers here so all my distance/timing is going to be in metric) Found that I was fairly flying actually...10K in 40:38, 9 days after a marathon.
    Will slow it down the rest of the week me thinks, with a few 15Ks and a hill repeats planned.
  • Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    20m done on Thames towpath and was very windy so don't envy the racers today. Every man and his dog was out and plenty of runners.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Bad day at the office for me at York.  I've been battling with an intermittent stomach infection for a while - not too bad but seems problematic about 1/2 times a week.  Tummy started churning/cramping at 3m so it was either drop out or see if slowing down would allow me to continue.  The latter option proved ok @ 7:15 - 7:20 pace, there was also the small matter of 25mph winds & 60mph gusts to contend with!  In the end I pootled home in 1:35 so at least I got a decent paced run in.  Oh well, at least the sun was out. image  

The weather didn't seem to bother the winner.. 66:42 in those conditions is awesome!   Get a piece of red carpet out for Selbs, cracking run in those conditions.     

Nice to bump into Njord & Caz, Rununman, Matt P (2nd place), LS21, BR & Hilly.

Good news Luke, keep it steady for now.

Good effort post marathon Viggy!

Nice 20 JH1.  I was eyeing up the Clapham Chasers 20 which uses the towpath.  Is that anywhere near your route?  Putney to Richmond I think.

• Options
    Danish.Danish. ✭✭✭
    Unlucky Wardi not much you can do about a dodgy stomach.

Like JH 1 I did my LSR on the towpath (Chingford to Broxbourne) and ended up with 18 @ 7:40 pace. legs felt heavy and tired from the off after yesterday''s XC so pleased to have it in the bag.

50 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Tired legs here, too, and that gusty wind was a pain. But, first 20 miler on the spreadsheet. Saw that nippy NZ athlete again (is this some sort of omen?

Well done for battling home Wardi. Not good conditions for racing. Be interesting to see some updates.
  • Options

Wardi - sorry to hear about the stomach issues and well done on seeing it through in defiance of those issues and the ludicrous wind. 66 min in today's weather is insane.

Coro - really sorry to hear about your ongoing issues. Think you're doing the right thing by not trying to force it. Have you had a professional opinion on it?

Martin Green 15 - congrats on the PB, that's an immense amount to take off your 10k time.

Danish - well run at the XC

Cheerful Dave - well done on the Park Run win and the 20M cool down run!

Plenty of tasty looking long runs being posted. Ran an embarrassingly slow Park Run yesterday (18:16), will chalk that up to very poor conditions and being out of race practice. Today's 18 was good though, hilly, mainly off-road progression run to round out an 81M week.

• Options
    Wardi wrote (see)

I was eyeing up the Clapham Chasers 20 which uses the towpath.  Is that anywhere near your route?  Putney to Richmond I think.

This is a route I do a lot of, I run from Hammersmith and my 20/21 miler gets me as far as Richmond and a bit beyond.

Two things:

1) It isn't the best underfoot at the moment and can only get worse, especially the bit beyomnd Richmond.

2) I recall some odd thing last year with the race not being allowed to race for the first mile so there was some sort of pacer. Was it Green and White Dwarf who did it?

• Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

84:59 at York. Good to catch up with Njord, LS21, BR and Hilly. Mara effort for 10miles, few beans on the last 3, job done.

Thanks for the company Njord. Well done at the 45miler and your Parkrun debut.

• Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Hey guys

Lots of impressive longs runs being knocked out this weekend, and a few nice and easy parkruns.

Sorry to hear that you are still struggling Coro and Wardi did not have the most enjoyable of runs today.

MG15, nice 10k PB.

Really disappointing day for me today, not so much in how I ran as I got pretty much what I expected, but just how far away I am from where I would like to be building up for London. Ran the Folksworth 15 which is my usual benchmark race at the start of the year. From the start I just did not seem able to push myself to mara HR (apart from uphill and then only just!) as my legs just felt battered. End result was 1.36.31, was was about 7 mins down on my previous 3 times at this event (and I have generally never felt I was in great shape before for those!). To be fair, wind was not much fun image
    Think I have a lot of work to do, but not sure I have enough time for it.
  • Options
    just had a slow 5 today as it was the running club presentation evening last night!! 52 miles over 7 sessions and week 3 of training plan complete image
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that JAP and Wardi had bad days

Mission accomplished at the 50 km where a sub 3.40 would secure me the A seed time I needed for Comrades.

Measured as 31.34 so accurate as 50km is 31.25 and garmins are not perfect.

Home in 3.38 job done. Blog later as it was not exactly smooth.(Oh to have only had 1 pee stop !!!!!!)

For the curious I made my marathon split at 3.00.48

• Options

Gobi - Well done on getting your A seeding! It was good to run with you briefly. Hopefully we can run together a bit more at Comrades. 6:50 here we come!

JAP, Wardi - I am sure you can put those down as character builders. It's what I always do when I have a bad run image

MG15 - Nice going on the big PB!

Plenty of other good runs going on this weekend. Good to hear it.

Steady effort for me at Gloucester today. I was struggling with stomach cramps and bad trots last night and was still battling a bit this morning come race time. I could feel that I was a bit under the weather as soon as we got going. Ran with Dan A and Ode for a while. It wasn't quite as easy an effort as I would have liked it to have been but still reasonably happy with 2:56:39 at what was a few notches below marathon effort.

• Options
    Awesome efforts at Gloucester.

JAP - It's not really happening for me this year, yet. At least you got out there and tested yourself. I'm hoping that the accumulated training will kick in. Still time.
  • Options
    JAPJAP ✭✭✭
    Nice work from Gobi and WK78 at Gloucester. Sounds like the write up could be interesting, but A standard bagged so happy days.

CL, yeah am hoping everything will click into place somewhere along the way. Training and racing just feels like so much more effort when it is a slog (obviously, but you know what I mean).
  • Options
    First 18 miler ever for me today! Wet, windy and very hilly so feel ok about 2.08. Still feels like I have a mountain to climb before I get to 26! 50 miles done for the week and it's been tough!
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭

Tough luck Wardi, it will all come together if you keep plugging away I'm sure.

Bad day at the office for JAP, congrats to Gobi, MG15.

Good miles from  CD. Solid mara WK78.

Great week TR and Mmmmarmite.

• Options
    Evening all,

Great to meet up with some of the sub 3 crew today, Ode / Gobi / Rach / DanA . (Sorry - seemed to have missed you Warren) All good fun and I nice bit of grub afterwards. Nice "A seed" bagging by the comrades boys.
    Sorry we seem to have lost you Ode , not quite sure what happened there! image

My race didn't go quite to plan, short story is I ran faster than I should have done and still didn't win image

Long story here

http://www.steveway.co.uk/?p=551

JAP - Sorry to here about your disappointing 15, it was pretty windy out there today. Still plenty of time yet to get that fitness back, you may just end up peaking at the right time.

Sounds like there was a sub 3 meet up in York as well, nice controlled run there Brian.

• Options

Awesome performance Marigold! I had to shoot off straight after the race as there were 2 very tired children who we needed to get home.

• Options
    Hi people,
    Did the essar four villages half today in 1:18:00 so well happy with a 1min 44sec pb, although at the time I felt I couldn't of sustained a pace any faster, on reaching the finnish line I felt I could of done another 3 or 4 miles at that pace , so happy really image

Luke- good news on the calf image
    marigold and gobi well done on the 50k thats qaulity running that is, nice one image
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Very special mentions to Marigold, Warren, Gobi, Rach, Dan AOde,  for sterling efforts at Gloucester.

CL/JAP.. you're both classy runners, just bide your time and it willl surely return.

PMJ.. many thanks for the info.  Maybe I'll save the towpaths for canal holidays.  image 

Marmite.. another decent week, keep up the good work.

Brian.. that is a very classy run for the old codger category, sorry I didn't manage to meet up for a natter.

Today's winners at the York Brass Monkey.. 

Felicity Milton

Yared Hagos

• Options

Oh so that was Marigold out at the pointy end of Gloucester today. Shows how bad I am at remembering names and faces. I was on a bike today in a Severn Hoodie top.  Not having run for over a year I needed to get some flab off, and the bike seems to be a pleasant alternative.

I tried counting places down to Gobi and lawnMower, but didn't realise that they were adding an extra loop onto the marathon race. I looked out for Odeon, but only saw your name in the results. I must say that I felt that his work colleagues were acting like complete b*stards, filming the whole race like we were incipient terrorists or something. What's that about?

2:42, 2:43 for the first two places today. That's not sane.

Glad to hear of some Old rivals still in the frame, I might have to do some internet stalking.

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Wardi - sorry to hear you had tummy troubles, can't do much about it aye - still it wasn't really a PB day was it (or am, i just being a southern softie?) Thanks for all the tips in York. Wife and i had a lovely time, got a bit of wandering around done on both days, checked out the Minster - very impressive, saw the wheel but didn't go up it (was a bit bleak the weather at the time on Saturday so retired to a cafe at that point having been battered walking along the "wall" from the gates at start of town to the wheel). anyways, all tips were much appreciated. I managed to convince the other half to make it to the "house of trembling madness" as well Njord post race, top spot (for me) although i'm not sure she was as convinced - but i enjoyed the German Black lager. They were already sold out of the beer and cheese soup. Sorry i didn't say hi to anyone/hang around after - but my wife was waiting back at the hotel so i jogged back - plus not sure i would recognise/know anyone by sight anyway! At least the jog to/from hotel, meant i got a 16 mile day in as well.

JAP/CL - what Wardi said fullas, you'll be back.

Brian - top notch run that. Mine ended up at about hoped for marathon pace - but no way was it marathon effort - sounds like you are in great shape. so i guess u didn't notice the wind then?

Gloucester crew - top work there, Gobi, sounds like a fantastic controlled run, and look forward to reading your long version report then Marigold, but sounds like it went well.

AtD - that's a great amount of time to take off you 1/2 PB bodes very well - u doing London? sounds like your endurance is coming along nicely there then.

TR - and Mmmarmite - top miles there.

nice to see Blisters

Cripes CC, you don't muck about on your long runs do you. You sure you are targetting sub 3 and not sub 2:50 (or better!).

• Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

righto - Brass Monkey half report from me (not sure about that red carpet comment Wardi btw!!?)

not quite sure what to make of it actually. I guess i have been pretty lucky with the few amount of races i have done, weather has normally been good. Bit warm sometimes, but basically good. Have never run in such a wind affected race - so i have no idea of guessing how much it might have impacted my time or not. I was hoping for at worst a PB, and at best maybe even get close to 76 flat.. but if i am honest, my realistic best guess i thought i would have been more like 76:5x fit... but you never know really do you. i guess o start line/pre race - i pretty much knew a PB wasn't likely to be on - but always wiling to give it a go....!

anyway, with it being a tad windy (did anyone else notice the wind image i thought i would try and stick in a group and shelter. that plan soooo didn't work. i tried to stick with a group for first couple of miles, but couldn't stay with them, and then ended up running the rest of the race pretty much on my own - with the odd overtake, or being overtaken (not so much of that luckily).

i had to start laughing at points when the wind gusted hard, and people looked like the were running sideways, and the pace started dropping/dropping/dropping...splits went 5:48, 5:52, 6:03, 6:08, 6:07, 6:28, 6:32 - around this point, as i went through half way in over 40 minutes, i really though i would struggle to get round in under 82 minutes the way it was going, but obviously the sub 80 was still in sight so that is what kept me going - but luckily as well, we turned and the cross wind in the 2nd half was more helping us than hindering, and things started to feel easier, as shown by 2nd half splits, 5:58, 5:52, 5:52, 5:52, 5:50, 5:52, and 42secs for end bit. Final score gun time 1:18:55 chip time 1:18:53. I was most pleased that i actually felt good and strong from miles 7 through 12 in particular as i started to reel back in runners who had looked strong overtaking me in those first 4-5 miles.

So, happy i managed to pick it up in second half, although that was probably mostly the wind. At least 2 minutes off where i wanted to be, and in reality probably 3.5-4 minutes off where i need to be for a raced half, if an attempt at sub 2:40 is actually realistic. happy my knee and hammies held up (but they only just did - no chance i could have run a marathon at that pace without the hammies going). So basically, happyish i think, but i've got a ton of work to do to get where i hope to be by April. OR, i might need to reassess my target i think to something more realistic. Bath half marathon in 7 weeks time will decide that for me. If i can't get under 76 minutes then, then VLM will be a PB attempt not a sub 2:40 attempt. Easy couple of days ahead as my knee is a bit tweaky again.

Official marathon training starts for me (once recovered) now, so hoping to start averaging 70 mile weeks rather than the 55-60 of past 12 weeks.

• Options
    Selbs- unfortunately I couldn't get a place for london, but hopefully all being well I'll get a champ place from a half marathon or a gfa at manchester or if a miracle happens at chester in october a champ place on an actual marathon time of 2:44:59.
    Hopefully with a few more pounds of lost weight it should become achievable.
    Also you say about group running not working so it sounds like you had the same situation as me in that there was just no shelter from the wind attalll but atleast it tells you where your fitness is at image
    Splits for my hm were 5.59 5.58 5.51 6.00 5.56 6.08 5.52 6.06 6.11 6.01 6.16 5.40 5.39 (last bit) 5.29
  • Options
    Thought I'd de-lurk and dip back into this thread. Don't think I've posted since London & Windermere marathons last year but I've been catching up from time to time and this thread remains interesting and inspiring in equal measure.

I ran Helsby Half yesterday as an early indicator for how training for London is going. As with everywhere else it was a tad windy but managed to get within a few seconds of a PB with 1:17:46 (AtD, we were probably running together at some point. I was in a green Lytham vest). I'd been hoping for a 1:16:xx but don't think I'm far off that given better conditions so pretty happy.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Looks like some solid half running in the wind

Nice report Marigold

Feel largely intact today and will run later.

Only issue is my ankle and that was when I slipped down the stairs on Friday. have come to work and it hurts going downstairs....
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭

nice blogs Marigold/Gobi.  and nice half there AndyD.

think i am a southern softie then moaning about the wind based on other peoples races/times.... just have to suck it up and realise i am not as fast/fit as i hoped, and get back to work me thinks!!

• Options
    JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Selbs - You gave it some effort but the conditions weren't conducive to good times. You sound like you may be looking at similar time to me at VLM. Assume you're on the champs start.
  • Options
    selbsselbs ✭✭✭
    JH1 - nope not a club member so GFA for me.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

After a weekend of role plays it's nice to read about running and racing again!

Sorry this is a skim-post, but congratulations to the majority (especially the PBers and podium placers), and commiserations to those who didn't quite hit their targets.  Certainly conditions weren't conducive to fast times anywhere.

BTW, I like the fact that the RW banner is currently either Padams in pacer mode or Marigold in moody thug mode.  A triumph for the thread.