Options

Sub 3

Comments

• Options

Wardi - glad your place is ok. All sounds traumatic - at least pub was dry and warm.

PP - serious combo of drinks there esp the Newcastle Brown so well done for getting out after that!

TR - have you got any races lined up before VLM? I am planning on Bramley 20 and Fleet half.

Jools - yep your 2:49 was special!!

Total miles for me this year was 2173 which was a record as I didn't cycle much. Only PB was in 50 mile race though that was my first and initially last ultra,,, but I am weakening and considering another 50 mile or 100k race in 2016.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Tick Tock - your total just pips mine. I get every other sunday morning back Iin the new year, but those two races are on the wrong weekend. Im in for Chichester 10k although thats hardlya vlm builder, might have to do the salisbury 10 again as a vlm builder but its a bit of a painful trip. Vlm is a clear weekend (at the mo), the summer will be a lot harder to schedule.
  • Options

Some good training and totals being posted.

PP and Jools - I'm particularly impressed with what you have both achieved this year.

Today was probably a good summary of the year for me - working in the house most of the day, figured I'd pick up a few bits and then get a short run in, but just as I was getting changed there was a massive cloudburst that just went on and on, so I carded a zero.

Totals for the year:
    Miles: 2951.61
    Non-running days: 108
    Average Pace: 7:04
    Weekly Average: 56.6m

To put it in context, my pb year (2013) was over 1000m more for the year, with a weekly average of 76.5m, and 92 non-running days.
    What that tells me is that this year, even on the days I have run I have been doing shorter runs (as I would have needed to average over 65m per day on the 16 extra non-running days to have the same annual total).

Races were equally underwhelming as my HM season best was 75:18, which is my worst season's best since 2007.

On the plus side things can only be better next year image

• Options

I'm only popping in as a snooper and interloper.

Jools 2:49? Fantastic, I knew that you were a class act, every time that you raced past me. And that was quite often. You can't score a lucky goal in marathon running, that time you posted has taken some serious training and dedication.

TR: I have you down now as a cheat. You've been training.

PPub: Now THAT is what I call a serious and careful work/life balance. Calories in/calories out. Solid mate.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Blisters - less overall training but more running, probably less fit than normal, but whilst I believe in junk swim or bike miles I dont believe in junk running miles.

Opened the account for 2016 with an 8m womble earlier.
  • Options

Kicked off 2016 with a proper long run, with Bushy & Kingston parkruns thrown in for good measure.  Bushy was OK, Kingston, coming after 15 miles, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  25 miles in all, in around 2:57.  There was absolutely no temptation to trot through another 1.2!

Happy New Year everyone.

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CD - nice volume.  similar start here. Richmond parkrun (1st, 17:39) then five miles down to Fulham (3rd, 17:32) with about 9 miles getting to & back home. About 20 in total. Bit tired after 25 miles two days ago. 

Feet up watching darts now image

• Options

Better times than me Dan, nice ones.  My time at Bushy was around a minute slower than my course PB, set in 2009.  But today's WAVA score was slightly higher.  I don't know whether to be grateful at having that straw to grab hold of, or despondent that even WAVA thinks I should have lost a minute over 5k in less than 7 years. 

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CD - wouldn't worry about it. Bushy slower nowadays there's more XC to it. My course best is from Xmas Day in 2006! Was 90secs slower on Boxing Day this year on a soft muddy course than the day before at Bushy. Conditions play a huge part. 

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Fresh back from an historic parkrun in Dulwich this morning.  No, my 16:56 didn't break any records but my club mate Alex Yee was down with instructions to do a "tempo" effort before next week's Great Edinburgh XC. So he set off "too fast" and promptly took the All-Time U20 record off Jonathan Davies by running 14:38.  He's still only 17. image

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year

Has Jools been in Reading

Anyone at Wokinhgham ?
  • Options

Quite a few have said they're doing it Gobi.  I certainly am, see you there.

That's outstanding, PP.  Your run was pretty good too.

• Options
    TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Good to see Blisters and Gobi pop in.

Impressive training from CD and Dan to start the year off.

I ran a 9/5 double on the 1st (the 9 was 'brisk' - 6:58, so well down on pb shape), and then 8m yesterday (included one rep of 1.25m @ ~ 10k effort; came out at 5:41 pace). Today and tomorrow were planned as zeros (I've got the kids and they don't go back to school until Tuesday).
    On the plus side though I finished (or near as dammit) the laminate flooring in the hall/kitchen areas and the carpet goes down tomorrow, so from here on it's a case of moving stuff from one house to the other and then easing through the rest of the work (bar one or two small jobs which need to be completed before the kids move in) and getting back to training image
    Drawing up a plan based on what has worked for me before, but intending to use the plans from the book at the level below I normally would for London as I know if I tried to get straight into the top one this time I'd break.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes, I was in Reading. I'd forgotten how muddy their parkrun gets!

Also doing Wokingham.

16 miles ground out in wet and windy conditions. Thankfully I've now defrosted after a nice hot bath and some porridge!
  • Options
    Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

Just popping in to say happy new year to all.  Some great stuff going on as ever (especially given the nasty weather - odd this year, a lot milder than previous winters but feels a lot windier).  I'm really excited to see how the thread's 2016 pans out.  

London and Berlin for me, with a fair few halves planned - not sure which I'll target, but it's about time I raced one in earnest...  Am feeling very positive about the new year.  The main aim will be attempting to spend far less time cross-training and consequently do a marathon off more than 30 runs/50 miles per week.  Things are progressing nicely on that front.  I got a foot niggle that kept me off running for 2.5 weeks at the start of November but since then have built back up slowly and cautiously and am now running 6 days/week including some super easy recovery doubles.  In fact, this week's mileage was 90, which is the second highest I've ever managed (and certainly won't be pushing it up beyond this for now), and I've got in some good sessions too.  Mainly I credit starting to do proper strength and conditioning work.  So fingers crossed...

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work jools, luckily it was the off sunday for me rather than the on sunday ( as im on alternates through til spring) otherwise id have had to bail as im not keen enough to run long in the pissing rain anymore.
  • Options

18 in the pissing rain for me, although the puddles were more troublesome than the rain. I think I turned blue afterwards, but a hot bath and some lamb stew sorted me out! Come on TR. Consistent consistency! Why the alternate Sundays?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good work speedy, the better sportsman in the house has priority nowadays and has to travel for training a few days a week now inc sunday mornings and afternoons (alternately), I have lost a few weekday sessions too. All part of the juggling act, its a matter of priorities more than ever now.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Nice LR's girls.  Having done mine earlier in the week I contented myself with 12.5m today, managed about 5m dry then worsening rain thereafter. Pleased I chose to wear my 'posh' old Goretex jacket which I re-discovered is both windproof & waterproof.  Funnily enough I had a hankering for porridge post-run too Jools!

Lev.. good to see you popping in, hope you can get an unbroken running streak going.

Nice Park Runs PP, CD, Jools, Dan A.  Both my local Park Run courses were submerged this week so it may be a week or two before they resume.

Great work on the house TT!

My town is still split in two by the damaged bridge and will be for some time by the look of it.  Going out for a beer shortly with some other east enders.

• Options

Wardi -- golly, that's the kind of excitement you could do without. Best wishes to all, hope the town gets back to normal soon.

TT -- ah, I may try to keep my recoveries at a decent pace, but sometimes I may failimage -- I've quite often done things like one hard lap/one steady lap reps round the park though, with enough that I'm still doing some hard stuff at 14M. And sometimes I've thrown in a last hard mile at the end of my full-distance efforts. It's true I've hopefully bonk-proofed myself pretty well now, and only did a couple of full-distance runs before Snowdonia IIRC -- bit hard to judge pace on that terrain, but certainly I still had some speed in the last mile. And good luck with both the house and training resumption!

Dan -- that sounds like a mighty impressive run on the Downs. Remarkably consistent (and quick) parkruns given what you'd already done when you got to the second, too!

CD -- similarly very nice.

PP -- very sharp parkrun there, and an incredible year. And Jools -- what a classy marathon progression. You two both win our collective kudos for sure.

I went away for a couple of days over (Happy!) New Year and didn't pack my running kit, as I seemed a bit ploddish after a *huge* 7-day training streak. Didn't seem to do any good though, as I was as sluggish as hell in the county XC champs today, though apparently I'm due a medal for being part of the 2nd V40+ team. I did another 8M in the cool-down (and it was quite cool in the wind and rain) to make 15M for the day.

About 2870 miles for my year, a record -- fair bit of cycling too as my workplace relocated further from home. But no PBs this year, and no race wins -- I think I'm showing my age... still plenty of age-group trinkets of course, so I can't complain. Also, I basically got through the whole year uninjured, which is probably a first.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Happy new year everyone. Reading the 2015 summaries reminds us of how impressive some people's year's have been. The ones that spring to mind are Jools, PP and Dan.

Very impressive double park runs by CD and Dan.

PP - I remember watching Alex Yee on TV at the World XC a few weeks ago, looks pretty handy!

TT - well done on the refurbishment, sounds like hard work, and you're managing to fit in a bit of running too.

CW - well done at the Counties. I'm not looking forward to ours on Sunday as it's likely to be a proper slog given how wet the ground is at the moment.

2015 was a decent year for me with a marathon PB and a decent result at the 12 hour race. 2,162M of running, but half of that was in the first 4 months, so averaged 5x mpw for 4 months then 3x mpw for the rest. And I didn't do a lot of cycling this year, only about 90 hours in total (plus 1 hour of swimming!). And 74 days of no exercise is far too many.

Focussing on a couple of ultras next year, one in July and one in October.

• Options
    bainspjbainspj ✭✭✭

Happy new year to all.

Wardi – hope you’re well and the floods are relenting.  That one day off may have changed it from a full (and slightly over the top) month, to a perfect balance of training and recovery.  Here’s hoping!

Padams – looks like very good christmas mileage and a nippy parkwin in there too.  Focussing on 2 ultras… very interesting.

Jools – good to see you logging plenty of steady mileage.

PP – I reckon I have said it 34 times already in the past year… but congratulations.  What a year!

Lev – top training to start the year.  Fingers crossed 2016 is injury free for you.

TR – I admire what you get done as “second sportsman” in the house.  Hope 2016 includes as many 5 mile commutes as 2015 – I reckon that’s where future success will be based.

2015 was a funny old year for me.  Missed the vast majority with injury, but am just happy to have got fit and healthy now.  A total of 848 miles run with a handful of races in the last few months.  No PBs, (apart from a highest finishing position in a league XC race… which clearly doesn’t count).

Christmas training has been impacted quiet badly by illness.  Have missed about 9 days since mid-December which feels like a real shame as when I have been able to run, I’ve been going ok .  Still not 100% though and am looking at revising the plan for January.   

• Options
    Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Padams - which ultras are you planning this year?  With your speed, plus ironman endurance, plus a bit of proven ultra experience already, you could do some serious damage at some big races if you put your mind (and body) to it.

TR - I hope the streak will not be sacrificed this year.  How many years now?

Think I've done over 100 miles in the past 7 days without really making any specific plan to do so.  Going to take a week's holiday at the end of the month, and might combine with an overseas marathon (as you do) for a bit of fun.  Not an A target by any stretch, but just a bit of fun.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Dan - 110km in the Lakes in July (Ultimate Trails I think it's called), then the Autumn 100 in October, one of the 100M races organised by Centurion running. I liked the look of the Autumn 100 as it is 4 out-and-backs in different directions, which seems mentally a bit more managable! And I've heard the Centurion races are very well organised (although quite expensive).

• Options
    CW well done on the medal even though you were unhappy with run. Can't be too bad though eh? Was hoping to do it myself but still in no real shape.

Good to see Lev building up again

Seem to have settled nicely into 60mpw so will keep that rocking for the next month or so. Did a New Year's Day double but not as quick as Dans . 19:46 for the first (a very muddy course) followed by a 19:10. Going to keep using them as a test of fitness so hope to see that progress pretty quickly.

Happy New Year all
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Padams - having a 100M on the fixture list should act as a motivator to train!

Bainsy - probably that massive booze up to blame ! Im no 3 sportsman, but im happy with that, its all about doing the right thing.

Dan - streak is (in actual order) 2:52, 2:55, 2:55, 2:53, 2:51, 2:54, 2:54, 2:54.
  • Options

Sorry for lurking everyone..

Padams - which ultras are you planning? 

bainspj - sorry to hear about illness, hope you're feeling better

CW - great year and well done on age group trophies!

TT - congrats on home and good luck setting goals for the year

Lev - great to hear you've built things up again and fingers crossed for 2016

CD, Dan, Joolska - awesome miles and training

Sprained ankle over Xmas. I was running in the Aussie bush, which was a bad idea on several levels (think tiger snakes). Had two weeks out already, but done some deep water running and cycling. Physio told me I'd be out for a total of 8 weeks but he may revise this down cos I seem to have 'young ankles'. At least I'll be super motivated when I do resume training properly. I'm targeting marathons in May/June and October with sub 2.50 the plan for one of those (depending on how training goes).

Good luck everyone for 2016!

• Options

Nice to see Muss back posting and training - hopefully a big performance at VLM this year.  Also good to see TT getting back to it image

Lots of very impressive end of year stats on here.

Padams - 100 miles!! That really is a very long way and as TR says, a great training motivator.

My 2015 stats were 3327 miles and PBs at 10m, HM and marathon.

I had no plan for the week after Pisa so just ran as and when I felt like it and ended up doing 30 miles. After entering Seville I pushed the mileage up the second week after Pisa and ended up doing 112 @ 7:24/mile.  Similar volume planned this week but hopefully a bit quicker.

• Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

RS - careful getting back into full training too soon after the marathon. So often people say they feel good so crack on, then 3 weeks later are injured/ill (I've done it!). It's easy to make that mistake as for some reason I tend to feel really good about a week after the race.

TR - yes, need to start getting back into the long runs in particular. I might try some back-to-back long stuff e.g. over Easter I might and run a marathon for a few days in a row, or something similar, really slow!

CJ - that's a pain, but at least your main races are a bit later in the season (rather than an April marathon), so you still have time.

• Options
    Padams - I know what you mean but hopefully I'll be ok as my training doesn't contain any sessions. I'm keeping a close eye on things that are tight and niggly image