Options

Finger printing children!!!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds genius to me. How many criminals get away with things as their prints aren't on record until they get captured ?

Seems fair to me.

There was a pretty horrific murder round by ours a few years ago and eventually the police got round to asking all the blokes in the area for fingerprints. What was I going to do ? Refuse ? So this would save time in the long run, and surely save lives ?
  • Options
    The third paragraph from the bottom is what I was wondering about, whether a 6 yr old's fingerprint would be recognisable in years to come. If not seems a bit futile.

Its a bit like all the fuss kicked up about ID cards and "big brother" Personally I have nothing to hide, and its not like tracing your movements by dusting everything you have ever touched would be sensible. I'm with you Cougie, the police have a large databade already, extending it would surely help...
  • Options
    Your fingerprints are defined when you're in the womb, by movement of amniotic fluid over the volar pads. The main patterning wont change as you age, just the size, contents of the 'fingerprint goo' and and scars you get.

The 'livecapture' technology for scanning them isn't very good though. It's had a lot of teething problems, and probably isn't good with resizing prints.
  • Options
    Speaking from a personal point of view, I would object to having my children fingerprinted... just to keep them on a database somewhere.

I would be very concerned about future 'mistaken identity' leading from childhood fingerprinting
  • Options
    Surely theres always a risk of mistaken identity - with descriptions, car number plates, etc etc.

I'd imagine that the childs prints would help - but if they called the adult in for questioning - surely they'd retake the prints to make sure they still matched and they hadn't been damaged in some bizarre industrial grinder incident ?

And lets do the DNA testing as well at an early stage. Wasnt there a rapist recently who was only caught when his sister was done for drunk driving and gave a DNA sample ? If she'd stayed clean - the guy wouldn't have been caught.
  • Options
    Do it.. take there prints, DNA the little blighters. They may think twice about a life of crime. Then when they do offend we can catch them quickly. Frankly they should probably do it for the entire nation
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

"1984" is here already and getting worse. No-one much cares though.

I am all for a libertarian revolution. Anyone fancy joining me ? We could start a list ....

Welsh Alex

• Options
    dont know why people get so wound up by these things, if you've nothing to hide, then youve nothing to fear
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

SB, Maybe that argument was the one used in the pre WW2 census where all the Jews had their 'cards marked'.

Innocent until guilty ? We should be. There are dark forces at work in the western world, and the state is something to be feared. Mark my words.

We should be free, in the fullest sense.
  • Options
    I thought this was to do with finger painting.
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Nevermind Earl, there there.

Wish it were actually.
  • Options
    SB... no, me or my three children have nothing to hide... but nothing to fear?

If fingerprinting everyone from the age of 6, I think there would be much to fear, especially as it would probably be just another stepping stone on the way to even more restrictions on the liberty of the innocent.

It'll end up that we'll all be suspects until we can prove our innocence... you mark my words
  • Options
    Er Trin - wouldnt we all be suspects anyway ? And shouldnt that be the case ?

Your fingerprints would clear you straight away though - if you are innocent.

Take my example of the lil old lady that was horrifically murdered in a house that I pass twice a day. It was a year before the police came to see me and I only live 5 mins away from there. I'd prob passed by whilst the killer was there - obviously I hadnt noticed anything - or I would have gone to the police. But if I was the killer - it would have been very easy to move away from the area. No prints would have been taken. I could have done the same thing again.

I cant see the problem here. Guilty have lots to fear. Innocent not.

Hang on - you weren't in on that Brinks Mat job were ya ?
  • Options
    Sod the prints take a dna sample, prints, retina patterns, the lot - just after birth and on anybody entering the country and not the db.

• Options
    It's another restriction of liberty by a Bluergh Government whose only response to any challenges seems to be passing more authoritarian legislation.
  • Options

We are all doomed, I'm off to live on an island.

Humph !
  • Options
    Jeez... thank God I was out when the subliminal messages were piped into yours and everyones homes

I still value my freedom
  • Options
    My post wasn't to Welsh Alex and IG btw

It seems we stand alone guys.... come the revolution....
  • Options
    Erm Alex - this is an island ?

I really cant see the problem still. Every day you leave a trail of information around. Your credit card bills. Where your mobile has been. Your conversations and messages on the mobile and land lines. Where you drive your car. Where you use your oyster card. What you buy at the shops. How many CCTV cameras you appear on. What you look at on the internet.

Shall we ditch all of that stuff so that nobodys civil liberties are infringed ? And let paedophiles browse happily and unimpeded ?

Again - what is there to fear if someone has your prints on record ?
  • Options
    "Guilty have lots to fear. Innocent not"

You were guilty if you were Jewish in Nazi Germany.

All this personal data the goverment is collecting about it's citizens is ok... becuase we've got the nice fluffy Labour party running our lives at the moment...

But what if 20, 30, 100 years down the line we revert to a police state?

I wouldn't want some neo Nazi state having that sort of info on me
  • Options
    OK - so if a party comes to power that is anti swirl - people with swirly fingerprints would be quaking in their boots ?

I don't think the nazis needed a huge database to round up jews did they ? They managed pretty well without it.
  • Options
    The track record of this country for implementing large scale information trechnology projects is appalling.

Don't rule out this type of finger printing evolving into ID cards through function creap.

>>really cant see the problem still. Every day you leave a trail of information around. Your credit card bills. Where your mobile has been. Your conversations and messages on the mobile and land lines. Where you drive your car. Where you use your oyster card. What you buy at the shops. How many CCTV cameras you appear on. What you look at on the internet.

I can control those myself.
  • Options
    The minute that you are born a huge folio of information begins. You realise this when a father or mother dies and the number of organistaions that you need to cointact to tidy up affairs. There is no such think as total freedom any more. It is gone, dead, buried. get over it.
  • Options
    The nazi's relyed on organisation adn cataloguing for part of their success. The attention they paid to this is why the germans are now thought to be so organised and efficient. IBM had much of it's early growth due to the Nazi's.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Capital idea, IMHO. We should all have our dna on file. Especially the kids, so as to stamp out this kind of behaviour:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/5233262.stm

Antisocial little sods!
  • Options
    "I don't think the nazis needed a huge database to round up jews did they"

We'll actually, they did, it was one of the first things they implimented when they took over a country, they collected data from all citizens, including fingerprints to racially catagorise all citizens

Goverment should be small serve the needs of ther people and not the other way around and I ain't going to make it easier for them by meekly surrendering my last vestiges of civil liberty to any government...

• Options
    OK - I stand corrected. Damn their german efficiency. But fingerprints in themselves surely have no racial differences ? I've not seen them find a fingerprint on CSI and say that they are looking for a 6 foot Chinaman with blue eyes. (or whatever)
  • Options
    Corinthian is right. What appears to be reasonable now (If I am innocent I have nothing fear), is the stepping stone for intolerancce later.

Freedom carries risks, but I prefer it to the creeping loss of liberties that we are suffering under the nanny state.

There is too much knee-jerk reaction to events that means that things become worse and not better.