Options

New Forest Half Marathon

Comments

• Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Discovered that fruit pastilles hit the spot on my long run yesterday.

This is supposed to be a PB course,so i am guessing the hills can't be too steep...gulp!

Pleased yesterday as no injury recurrence,so just need to keep ticking over for the race.

• Options

Quick guide...(not to scale!)

Scenic course with Flat start then a couple of short hills after 3 or 4 miles. Course then goes a bit flat then a sharp, short hill in Sway, a long steady (but not  steep) up hill on about 9 miles in Tiptoe, a quick, short up and down on 10 (next to the pub) but the last 2 miles are all slightly downhill and provide a fast finish.

enjoy..

• Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Thanks Forest,that doesn't sound too badimage

• Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

This has crept up fast.

I may not have read details properly,does anyone have a postcode for the start so i can put in sat nav,have a 2 hour drive to get there!

• Options

Fi Fi

Use    BH25 6LW.

This is right next to the start line but you won't be able to park there!!

I have a 10 min walk to start ! Enjoy your visit to our lovely part of the country.

FP

• Options
    fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Thanks,

Enjoy your lay inimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Me too... its my first half so i'm looking at just finishing the thing! image
  • Options

Do you want to tag along with me at the back Emmy? Until you take off suddenly of course ... I'll be chugging along doing 11.5/12 min miles nursing a calf muscle and a sore chest (ran into a solid lump of forestry the other weekend - think jousting pole) My race number is somewhere in the last page or 2 of this forum.

Don't worry folks - in 6 days time it'll all be over!image

• Options

Suffering with tendon problems, so I'm going to stat at the very back and just want to finish.  11 minute/mile pace would be acceptable!

Good luck

• Options

Heya this is my first HM race, unluckly i hurt my foot walking round asda on monday! still a few days left to heal ( fingers crossed). if not I still intend to hobble round lol.  btw i like lucozade carb gel but i did try sum veggie jelly beans last long run- ive been converted. image  Good Luck.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Veggie Jelly beans? Where did you find those? I can only find the normal ones!

Nerves are starting to set in for sunday now!

• Options

I'm **really** looking forward to this having bought my number from someone who can't do it . I'm not looking for a fast time but sub 1:50 would be nice , really looking forward to the course especially the forest bit . I'm driving down to the New Forest tomorrow . We'll need to be there early to park I reckon .

I can't believe my luck frankly!! I was expecting to do a local 10K and now this has popped up!!

• Options
    Good luck on SUnday folks.  I won't be joining you after all - whiplash type injury to chest after collision with tree is too tender.  I'll be thinking of you form my deckchair.image
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hope you feel better soon Red image I've just been told that my "supporters" arent able to make it and i have to find a new way to get to the race!

• Options

hey emmy bug found them in asda made by the jelly bean factory the tub had 36 different flavours in too, yet to try them all.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Many thanks - i know which ones you mean now image See you all tomorrow!!
  • Options
    hey fifi there is a gang of sub-4 forum meeting up at new forest tomorrow - so look out for us, Artful hen, TuTu, Dave the flower, Howard road runner Umbongo and me! meeting by the memorial in recreation park at 9.15
  • Options

Good luck for tomorrow everyone!

Sorry you're not running Red!

Fruit pastilles for me image)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    So how did everyone get on? and more importantly how is everyone feeling? I was drained with all the hills but the beautiful scenary made up for a lot of it!
  • Options

My first HM and i completed it so i`m happy, even better still i got under my target time.

Set my PB now though so something to aim at next time. now feeling very tired.

• Options

hey well done everyone.

Im very happy with my time, my foot injury was okish in morning but at 7 miles it decided to say hello, so if any1 saw a hobbler that was me lol. Still hit my target and got a nice shiny medal. image

• Options

Had a blinder!!  Training for a pb at Chichester in 3 weeks, but got one here [as well] / [instead] (delete in three weeks as aplic.!).  Okay, it was by one second, but my previous best was at Reading last year, and there are a few more hills in NF (as Emmy and others have pointed out above) so I'm v.happy.

I have to say though that I am in awe of the marsalling.  This is a popular and busy part of the world on a late summer Sunday.  After the HM I cycled out to support a mate who was running his first mara, and it was mayhem!  However, the marshals were doing an excellent job at keeping motorists calm, even though some of them were sitting in considerable queues.  I did overhear chat later that there had been one idiot driver hitting a runner at speed, but on the whole what I saw between New Milton and Tiptoe was well mannered and well marshalled traffic.

Thanks also to the supporters - don't remember being clapped and encouraged as much as we were today since I did FLM in '06

Nice medal too image

• Options

Well done Blackers! I just about equalled my PB (Looks as though I was 17 seconds slower, but chip timing may say different). I do hope that the chat you heard was wrong - there are some impatient drivers around. I can blame them for the 17 seconds, as they would NOT allow me to cross the road round mile 8, when you go up the lane to the right.

Well done to AKA Simon and J Lang too.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Any confirmation about the runner? I know that there was stupidly fast cars going past (especially around mile 8/9) and i agree with you Blackers - the Marshals were good at keeping the drivers calm and informed (i overheard one marshal keeping the drivers updated about how long they'd probably have to wait etc).

I do like the shiny medal too!

• Options

It was a good race and very tiring as usual.  The Marshals deserve medals for coping with the motorists.  There seemed to be more cars about today but I did not personally have any problems.  I think I may have just dipped under 1:53 on the chip timing which is good for me.  I was amazed at the number of proffessional looking photographers on the route.  I thin I might sleep well tonight.

• Options

The results are on the jand web site (not yet on the NFMA site) for the half Marathon only. 

http://jand.co.uk/Results2007/New_Forest_Half.htm

• Options
    Thanks for that ORR - shaved 4 seconds off my time! (Still missed the PB by 15 seconds, but pleased with the result).
  • Options

Now I'll use my real name!! 

A fantastic race indeed! what a pity I couldn't do it under my own name, I was so close to a pb . A brilliant course - very hilly in places , they don't obviously advertise it as really hilly or no one would do it!. I found the organisation superb - we drove from nearby Calshot on the solent where we'd spent the night and found the parking easy. A long walk to the start with loads of toilets , the finish was just up the road.

I found the pace very good and the start though delayed by 15 mins was clean and trouble free as timed areas were in use , no walkers in the 1:50 area etc. I was very comfortable with the 8+ min pace and thought the hills were challenging I was still comfortable halfway round. Plenty  of sponge and water stops , though the water stops did get a bit of a scrummage ( I didn't need water till well after half way fortunately) . A lot of South African runners caused some laughs along the way , there were a lot of Aussies too - it was like a Commonwealth Half!

The hills were about as challenging as they could be - though a 4 horse stampede caused a few raised eyebrows. It got a little warmer too later on but with home insight and a cracking good support on the route I was very near to a PB , I didn't push it as I wanted good positives from this half and also running under someone else's name meant I wouldn't have it under my own name.

Finishing in 1:48:14 I felt very good , no problems at all and still with plenty left. A cracking good BBQ at a pub up the road ( free to race entrants with Number) was very welcome before our long drive back to the midlands.

A superb medal and quality T shirt made this well worthwhile