Options

Leicester City Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, is this a good one to lose my cherry on ? Done few GNR's and Wilmslow 1/2 a couple of times, went to support mates and other Sale Harriers at FLR on Sunday, superb day, now I want to do one ! Was going to try for NY later this year, but would like to try one closer to home before I commit, will this kill or cure me ? ps....I don't like hills ( not true actually, loooove fast downhills but the marshalls won't let you get the bus to the top !! )
  • Options
    Thanks jennyb :-)

Anyone booked their hotels yet? Hipps, will you defo be doing a premier Travel Inn? Anyone staying the Sunday night or just the Saturday?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be driving home after the race, work on Monday
  • Options
    LL

I will book a travel Inn, cos i have no idea if i will be able to do this

work is all up in the air
  • Options
    Think I'll go for a Travel Inn as well. Shades, will you be bringing your laydeez with you again(and the two blokes?!)
  • Options
    Right, sorted, Travel Inn, Leicester central booked for two nights, Hipps and Shades hopefully see you there along with any others?

I've booked the 2 nights, as it'll be my birthday on 15th, so hopefully Mr Lizard will take me for a slap up meal and booze up on the Sunday!
  • Options
    Just entered. Will book Travel Inn. Is everyone going to Travel Inn Central. No idea exactly where Leicester is coming from north of the border but will find out. Will book Sat and Sun nights.
  • Options
    Excellent, another for post-marathon partying! Nice one speedyG :-)
  • Options
    Hi Little Lizard. Yep gotta stay for partying. Its what makes the marathon ain't it!!! :-)

Got to stay 2 nights as can't get back to Scotland in one piece after 26.2 miles. A drink and bed are the more appealing option.

Must get the hotel booked.
  • Options
    I'm just looking at doing edinburgh and have been looking at flights. those of you coming from scotland might consider flying to east midlands sometimes called nottingham east midlands with BMI baby. For the dates I am looking at the flights range from £2 to £30 plus tax but it really depends on how easy it is for you to get to the airport from home. I think they also do flights from glasgow to EM
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LL - I don't have my WRN group anymore, resigned due to EA's new scheme. However the girls are still using my training plans and we're off to Loch Ness the week before, 14 of us so far running that, not sure about male supporters!
  • Options
    Ah Shades, shame you had to resign, but it's good the girls are still using your plans and running with you, just shows the rapport and trust you built up with them all.

Good luck in Loch Ness! Shame that's not a flattie, or I'd have gone.
  • Options
    anybody stuck for a hotel try the travel inn at oadby,its 10 minutes down the a6 from vicky park for the start,if you want something a little quieter than city centre,will be using your training plan for this one shades,thanks
  • Options
    Ah, MarkyMark17 from Sale Harriers-would that be Mark F by any chance?
    Tim here-I'm going to do Leicester-already entered as soon as I had my refund cheque back from the Abingdon marathon.
    Didn't know you frequented the forum.
  • Options
    Hi Tim, the very same ! Yes, I'm an occassional forumite, I like to know what I'm up against if I haven't done a race before, and as this would be my first marathon ( can you remember your first !?!?! ) I want the distance to be the challenge, not the course ! Mate Dave and Jennie B did FLR so they've inspired me, it's all people ask when you tell them you run, isn't it ? Is new improved Leicester good for a newbie like me, I hate dropping out of anything...even hobbled/limped the last 6 miles of Hellrunner yesterday, I WANTED that t-shirt !
  • Options
    And then you'll find that what people mean when they ask is the London marathon!!!
    Well, just follow me round no problem!!
    IN the absence of Abingdon Leicester is my targetted fast one (I think now that means aiming at sub 3:15) but I seem to remember you saying you just wanted to have an easy run round one.
    I can remember my first marathon. I can remember have to struggle up and down the stadium (Don Valley) steps afterwards 3 times to get my bag, go back to the shower and then get out to the car again.
    And I can remember talking to the mad Belgian in the showers who'd done 50 marathons the year before.
    Leicester will be my 99th (although that includes ultras).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Have booked my hotel, I guess I'd better enter the race now.

Hi Hammie - have you registered with the 100 club as a 'wannabee' yet?
  • Options
    Have booked Travel Inn Leicester Central. Is that the one that everyone is going to? If not which one and I will change it.
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Have Abingdon been sending refunds then??
    They haven't sent me anything :o(
  • Options
    they will limper

give em time
  • Options
    I certainly have Shades. And Limper, I had a refund cheque the other day. I'd entered online.
  • Options
    Thats it! It looks like us Abbingdon rejects will have to get with the action and book all the hotels and make off with all the towels and stuff before the regulars notice. Damm thats blown it! You now know my cunning plan and Im in too. Drat. Just the Southdowns to get out of the way and Ill be joining you
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Is everyone staying at the Leicester Central Travel Inn? Don't want to miss out!
  • Options
    limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I entered on-line Hammie.
    Maybe they send refunds in the same order that we would have finished the marathon? Hence Ultra Hamster got his quick and I'll get mine in around 3 months time!!!!!

I'm not staying anywhere Slo. Unless I park at the Travel Inn and sleep in my car!! I don't want to drive home on Sunday evening, but don't know what my Monday timetable will be.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    limper - Leicester Travelodge Thrussington (sp) were offering 2 nights at £15 a night yesterday, couldn't book for the Sat only though at that price.

I've booked into Travelodge at Lutterworth (£26) as an easier journey for me and I want to go to that great chippie again.

Hammie - I shall be doing Snowdonia too to celebrate your 100th, I may end up doing the presentation to you if the other 100 club committee guys aren't there. I guess you'll be ordering the special medal?
  • Options
    As I will be travelling by train I need to be somewhere near the race start and finish Shades or I would be booking the Travel Lodge as its cheaper. Travel Inn is £100 for the 2 nights. How close would the Travel Lodge be to the race?
  • Options
    Shades, I'll be ordering the special medal! Do you know when I'd need to order it by so it's ready in time?

As for arrangements for Leicester I'll be driving down the morning of the race and driving home again-its nearer to home than Abingdon so its actually less faff!
  • Options
    I've booked the Travel Inn as they have a refund policy, don't think Travel Lodge does. Being extra careful after Abingdon!
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hammie - I don't know how long it takes to get the medal, think mine was about a week, then another week for the engraving which I had done locally. Email the 100 club, Roger or Peter will know.

Speedy - there are 3 Travelodges in Leicester not sure of distance to race start, there are details on the website. The nearest postcode I can find for the race venue is LE1 7QR, use www.theaa.com that website recognises Travelodges as an address

LL - you can cancel Travelodge up to noon on the same day unless you have a cheap deal then no refund policy, which is fair enough.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Premier Travel Inns but do so much travelling that the special offers at Travelodge are always my first choice. I've just booked 3 nights in Hull for July for £56, a bargain!!

Hammie - you won't be in Hull this year, will you?