Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to wear a ribbon just need to work out what its meant to look like (green obviously) and how to attach it to my vest.
  • Options
    Good for you Cameron - you could make a wee figure of eight and pin it on.

(ATM?MTA?)- yes I have been able to a bit of running in the past few weeks or month although I have also been away on hols in Menorca where I only managed about 20 mins would have had to get up very early to make it bearable, and enjoyed the Sangria too much.

I'm not expecting a good time but don't mind a bit of rain so long as it starts after the start - a bit of drizzle about half way round would be nice. I do hope its not too hot.

• Options
    Thanks guys for your encouragement! I'll certainly give it a good shot. :-)

Siouxie, I agree with you about the drizzle! Actually, for me, last year's weather was perfect. Cold and wet keeps you moving like nothing else. The least bit of heat from the sun and I feel like I'm being pressed into the road. ;-)
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's me , S.And you'll be the tanned one with the green ribbon...I don't see me being able to run for a couple of weeks , yet,so I'll just have to aim at getting round. I think you might be right, Stephen.Drizzle would be pretty good.

Cameron,loop it round your vest strap and tie it in an attractive, manly, bow..Of course, wearing a T-shirt will demand Blue-Peter levels of skill. We'll be huddling in the doorway of the City Chambers looking for you.
  • Options
    Fraid I don't really tan ATM but am a bit red.

Hope you are better soon I've heard its pretty miserable having shingles.

The google Earth thing soundsw good I might have a look at it when I'm not meant to be working.
  • Options
    Cameron well done, no wonder you never saw me, you were so far ahead !! As Nessie says some times there's a planned meeting point and some times there ain't, but I always wear my ribbon and aproach similarly attired folk.
  • Options
    Right green Ribbons it is then and meeting at city chambers. I'm planning to leave a little early than last year so I'll try and find the city chambers doorway and say hello.

I'll experiment with ribbons and vests/t-shirts and of course manly bows.

Gillian, nice race very warm but a little expensive only to receive a medal and one bottle of water.
  • Options
    Siouxie I was in Menorca as well!! Got back few weeks ago. I managed a run every day - gloat gloat - bout 45 mins to an hour late afternoon. Great place for cycling too with planned markered routes. I'll wear green ribbon too but might not be able to meet City Chambers - taking pal through for 10k early then meeting another for half marathon at Museum of Modern Art place later. Won't be ignoring you if you shout hi it'll just be that mp3 on high. Panicking now tho as Lochness marathon number popped through door today - yikes.
  • Options
    Hello all - not been here for quite a while but with this event coming over the horizon, thought I'd sneak in and say hi. Good to see some familiar "faces" from last year and from Forthside and Great Edinburgh runs too.

How's all the training going? Picked up mine in July and had a much better month after a catalogue of injuries this year. Am aiming for 1:46 and a bit, to knock 3 mins off my PB set at Forthside in April. I've used the MacMillan running calculator online. Anyone else used this? Suspect I won't quite hit target but do hope to pb anyway - unless running in waders of course!

SFC - Got that email yesterday too. Was particularly gutted as, not 2 weeks ago, I bought some new Mizuno Wave Elixir 2's from Run4it that came in at £55!!

Good luck to all with the rest of the training!

RB

• Options
    Hi RB welcome back, my pb is 1 49 as well set at Glasgow last year but I'm older and fatter now so who knows ?
  • Options
    Hi Gillian - I know, I know!! Currently over a stone above what I was for this race last year (my first half and did 2:06:56) and am just hoping that speed work will compensate!
  • Options
    Hi all,

Hope everyones training is going to plan, I'm up to 10 miles this weekend so on target but slow.Are any of the RW runners meeting before of after the race....?

Any idea when we get our race packs..?

:-))

• Options
    Hi Scottish

I raced last weekend so taking things easy this weekend - planning short runs over the next few days then 8/10 mile on Tuesday night.

Never done the meeting up before or after but think before the start its outside the City Chambers at the steps with green ribbons too.

Usually get the race pack 10 days before so probably get them week beginning 20th August.
  • Options
    This is my 100th post on RW forums - do you get anything for it?? A round of applause or a standing ovation. Probably not!
  • Options
    Cheers SFC - totally agree with the email/Run-4-it promo, I got it as well. There's not much incentive or encouragement to sign up early, surely it can't be marketing to get more people to do the GSR?
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    The RW '100-posts' cheque is on its way to you, Cameron...

ATM<---Older, fatter and with new, added ,shingles!Ah, the best laid plans o' mice and middle-aged women....I don't think such a long break from running is going to help me, either.
  • Options
    I've not actually entered yet was waiting to see how injury was so I might look into Run-4-it though I don't know what I've done with the Email now. Its probably marketing to get more people to spend money in run-4-it.

I am coming up to my 100th post soon too Cameron.

Karen D you are obvioulsy much fitter than me to run in 32 degrees. I can't run every day anyway - still breaking myself in slowly after long absence due to injury - had to cut 6mile short to 4 this morning cos of niggle - don't want to over do it because I want to be able do 11 mles on Saturday.

• Options
    Glad it's not just me that runs miles every week and puts weight on. I'd be like the side of a house if I stopped.
    Well done Cameron, you'll be at 500 before you know it.
  • Options
    Well Siouxie, when you post your 100th post on the forum ATM gives you a cheque!!!
  • Options
    Wish I had known about the Run 4 It thing before I parted with £28 for race entry...
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Are ATMs giving out cheques now? Used to be cash only..... ;o)
  • Options
    Do you need a PIN number? Wouldn't trust ATM as she can't spell her name right sumtimes!!
    Siouxie I probably only did 3-4 miles but took me so long cause of heat. Had villa near path to Calascoves on SE coast-i ran down hill to the caves then back up - really dusty rough track but worth it for view-back to villa then dive into pool - bliss and sizzle!!
  • Options
    I'm in for this one. Glasgow was my first half marathon 3years ago.
    Gillian G : I was reading back a few pages and read that you are planning the Haddington. I thought about doing this as a training run for Glasgow but as it's a small field I'd hate to come last! Have you done it before and if so do they mean "hilly" when they say undulating?
  • Options
    Also older and fatter and now suffering an Achilles injury - the dreaded injury of the older, fatter runner! I'm fated to have only ever done this race once. Still running on it (no hills), but know I shouldn't be and cannot do enough miles. Might change to the 10K but probably shouldn't even be doing that. :-(
  • Options
    C'mon folks - positive thinking - we are not old and fat. I don't weigh myself often but when i do I convince(lie to) myself that anything over 8 stone is muscle!
    I took up running as my BP was high for about 10 years and been perfect since I took it up. Cholesterol great too(even tho I eat some garbage - wagamamas again today with a large tiger beer followed by their chocolate fudge cake)so we may wobble on the outside but our insides will be running like clockwork(apart from ATM's shingles).
    Say with me "we are fit lean mean running machines who may wobble but that is muscle - honest".
  • Options
    Alison Smith, I did Haddington last year in about 2.06. And I wasn't last, quite a few behind me I think. I dont remember any scary hills, just a lovely rural run so give it a go. I'll be about 2.10 this year I expect.
    Karen D ok I'm a lean mean wobblie running machine !!
  • Options
    karatecaro, I'm in the same boat as you. I've only run the Glasgow half marathon once (2005) as I suffer from calf and achilles problems too. I was disappointed not to be able to run the half marathon last year and felt a bit like a "poor relation" by entering the 10k. However, I really enjoyed it on the day and have entered the 10k again this year.
  • Options
    Hi Emmabeth,
    I ran it too in 2005, must have been our year! Think I will try the 10k this year, but I always feel so jealous when I see people running the half. Achilles has felt a little better this week and I am trying to train without irritating it too much. Sorry you are suffering from the same problems, but reassuring to know I am not alone.

SH, hope your training going well! Grrr!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Well...shingles gone, still feeling a bit wiped out, though.....
    Working abroad 'til 1/9 and tomorrow's probably my last day online for almost 4 weeks.Eeek!Training has gone down the tubes and my wobble-factor is sky-high.I still intend to run, at least from the City Chambers to, errr, the on-ramp at the Kingston Bridge?

KKD, are you still around?Are you doing this one?

Good luck to everyone.