Options

Did anyone else NOT enjoy yesterday?

Comments

• Options
    Speaking as a mere spectator - you all did something amazing yeaterday.
  • Options
    yeaterday = yesterday
  • Options
    As it was my first marathon I couldn't help but enjoy it. What an atmosphere.

I don't care that I was slower than I was expecting, nearly everybody else was slower than they were expecting as well.

It just meant that we could enjoy the event for longer. :-)))
  • Options
    Same as Bananas, I enjoyed it and didn't resent not reaching my target. When I came down with cramp for the third time, 600m from the finish, and finally got going again after some help and water from the spectators by the side, about 30 people cheered me! You don't often get that in races. (Thank you, if you were any of those people).
  • Options
    jolguk: I saw quite a few people suffer from cramp and pulled hamstrings in the last 800m, I really felt for them all as they were so close and in agony :0(
  • Options
    Hi ALL

That was my first Marathon the heat made it hard going. I've been quite upset as I missed out on my target time by 1hr 20 mins. Everything was going well up until 30kms then I was feeling dizzy and nauseous and almost dropped out and then I kept saying to myself how much do you want that dam medal!

Don't feel to stiff and sore which I'm pleased about. Need to start focusing on the BUPA Manchester 10km now (should be easy after that!).
  • Options
    very level views expressed on this thread - it's a big boost to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way (i hesitated before submitting this thread as I thought i'd be shot down in flames). to be honest, 48 hrs later i feel much better and spend and have decided to do another smaller event later in the year (probably in the autumn) where i can concentrate on getting the time i wanted.
  • Options
    Dp Dp

this pattern is so familiar to me

FLM is a very emotional race-runs the gamut of all enotions i think, both in the build up and the aftermath
  • Options
    I feel less distressed about Sunday now. Firstly it's past and there's nowt I can do about it apart from learn from where I went wrong. Secondly it is a relief hearing that other people felt the same way and had equally disappointing runs. Still have no inclination to 'get back on the bike' tho!
  • Options
    Dp Dp: thanks for creating this thread. I think most of us on here feared we were the only one who felt a bit down on the day and kind of scared to say so but by airing and sharing our feelings we have actually seen the positives, laughed about some bits and even thinking about doing another marathon!!!

On Sunday most of us were saying NEVER again. now who knows...? I guess that's the 'marathon bug' so many people talk about? I think it may have bitten me ;0)
  • Options
    I definately think it's been 'healthy' to talk about all the experiences of Sunday, positive and negative. I personally feel much better for sharing my thoughts and knowing that I'm not alone in the negative ones!
  • Options
    what are you on about kazz

youve already signed up for another one to my knowledge;)
  • Options
    Yep, but as I've said before I entered that knowing I wouldn't be aiming for a 'time' but just to have a fun day out with fellow forumites.
  • Options
    you will enjoy that more

plenty of time fo a crack at a fast mara later on

I wouldnt pick FLM for that though
  • Options
    Mm well that was why I'd picked Abo as my real hope for a fast one.
  • Options
    I'm feeling so much better reading all of these. I was so disappointed with myself on Sunday and on Monday, but that disappointment is slowly turning into a bittersweet feeling - gutted that I missed my first marathon target of 4 hours, but so pleased that I managed to finish at all, albeit 50 minutes later than planned. Thanks to everyone who has managed to turn such a negative into a positive for me and for everyone else. x
  • Options
    Okay.... I have entered the ballot for the Loch Ness Marathon on 7th October and will let fate play it's hand... cannot believe I have done this after how awful I felt on Sunday! Couldn't have been as bad as I thought or perhaps my memory has been affected by the heat & humidity on Sunday!!!

Was I bitten by the bug when I crossed the line? Anyone else been bitten?
  • Options
    Like most i felt down on Sunday after my first Marathan, training went well looking at under 4 hours. Cramp at 15miles finished 4:35:44 .
    From other messages time of 45 min over expected time on Sunday not so bad, so keep on training and entre again next year
  • Options
    BF - have also been bitten - I've entered the Dartmoor Vale Marathon in October too. Can't believe it given how awful I felt less than 48 hours ago!
  • Options
    Thanks for this thread just what I needed.

Was on schedule for the sub 3:30 I was aiming for until mile 15 when the tank empty sign was showing - was feeling v hot and had drunk about a gallon of water. But even more than that I wasn't getting it - in fact the FLM (after all that training and fund raising) was a real disappointment. And that 3:25 paceband kept telling me how rubbish I was.

Had a bit of a walk and self therapy and it struck me that the people by the side of the road had come out to encourage me - I got it, I started running and walking but most of all smiling thinking of The Mall. It didn't disappoint.

I put in just over 4 hours of hard work -the volunteers at the childrens hospice I was running for put in hundreds.

I had already decided not to run another marathon this year but I will be in the New Forest for the half.

• Options
    I think it's pretty common to feel down afterwards. I disagree with whoever it was who said it's not about times - it's about your own personal challenge whether it be raising loads of money, completing the course, or even beating your own target time. The build-up of expectation during the long months of training beforehand can be pretty intense and feeling down after a perceived failure is not very surprising.

At my first FLM in 2003 I went off too fast and lost it completely. Felt very depressed for a long time, mainly because it was my own stupid fault. Sorted that out 6 months later at Kingston, and now I can look back on it as a learning experience. Bottom line is that if you're disappointed, then draw a line under it and enter another marathon. And if you're gunning for a time try something other than FLM where you won't get held up by walkers.
  • Options
    I felt like most of you seem to have felt. First marathon ever, but training runs and 20 mile races entered seemed to predict a 4:15 - 4:30 time. I completed Reading Half a few weeks ago in 1:53 but passed the Half at London in 2:25????? I was not impressed at all with my time of 5:16 but still glad that I did it… The only comfort was that almost everyone struggled and fell short of predicted times due to the heat and that I have a great tan!!!

The first thought that entered my mind as i crossed the line and saw my time was "i'm not having that as my marathon time!!! I am on a mission now!! I will be back next year and i am going to smash that time....

On the upside the crowds were fantastic, I have never experienced anything like it before…I seemed to get a decent amount of attention perhaps because my charities vest was pink with my name on and I had purple spray in my hair.

See you all next year..

• Options
    I did waht S3oB suggested - if I had finished in the same position last year I'd have done 4:34:32!! In doing that, I reckon I may even have been slighly faster as the 10 minutes I spent going to the loo towards the end would've also been deducted. :>)
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the day, though it was physically tough at times. It was my first marathon so although I was over 5 hours and looked for 4:30, I am still proud of my achievement. My wife and grandson came to from Glasgow to support me and seeing them at 23.5 miles did me no end of good!! As I said on another thread, when watching the news on Friday with my grandson (he's 5 1/2) and they showed Haile Gebrselassie I said he would win it. The wee fella looked at me and said "You'll beat him grandad!" And so I did; I finished and he didn't, so there!
  • Options
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have been feeling so guilty and down about the fact I did not enjoy the race yesterday. I had a horrible pain in my hip from mile 10 and even though I didnt feel too affected by the heat it certainly didnt help. I am now almost feeling good about my 3:56 (16 miutes over my PB) time even though I really thought I could run close to 3:30. I had many negative thoughts around the course and even though I thought a few times that I wanted the crowds to stop - if they hadnt been there I probably wouldnt have made it. I vowed I would never run a marathon again...... but maybe Amsterdam in October and London in a few years to get rid of the demons. Thank you everyone
  • Options
    Hooray! I'm not abnormal! I found the FLM hard going. Felt like I'd run out of steam at mile 11 and had serious doubt as to whether I would even complete the course. Felt sick and dizzy almost the entire time. Lost my running partner, my MP3 player didn't work and was irritated by the crowds when I had to walk on occasion. Was hoping for 4.30 but came in at 4.53.59! Even if I was offered a million pounds I couldn't have smiled or raised my hands in the air at the finish line! I sais yesterday I would never, EVER, do another marathon. Yet here I am thinking... Luton...Berlin? Hmmm...!
  • Options
    So glad to read this thread. Was my first FLM on Sunday, and was an absolute nightmare; was aiming sub 4 but started getting stomach cramps around mile 6. Still made halfway by 2:02 but shortly afterwards the cramps got too bad and I couldn't run any more.

I then discovered how pathetic the toilet facilities are for runners, which made things even worse - have they always been this bad?

Ended up walking the entire last 13 miles with guts griping badly. Finished in just over 5:30, utterly gutted.

Was intending this to be my one and only marathon, but now I know I have no option but to do another!
  • Options
    So where is the next marathon from here? for us discontented souls? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    And everyone says how great you are supposed to feel, but for the last 7 miles and for about 2 hours after I hated everyone moment. Was aiming sub 4, and by 17 miles knew I might miss it just, but by 19 had cramp in both legs and at 20 walked for the first time. Just as the crowds get bigger and louder, I was letting them down by failing to run, couldn't look at them!

The last 7 miles took an hour and 40 and I finished in 4:38. I vowed never to consider it again. Now however.......I can recall that before the start and the first 16 miles I felt great, and there were 18,000 behind me so perhaps I wasn't such a failure.

I still have to beat 4 hours, can't stop now! great thread - thanks.

• Options
    Great thread, this is what the RW forum is all about.

Same story as many others.

Was aiming for around 4:20 but was feeling the pace after 6 miles and was running at a slower than planned pace. Ditched all thoughts of a good time at half way (2:26) and gritted my teeth to finish in 5:14.

It was'nt pretty but I got there.