Options

Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

ooh and Boycs, me and my pal were at mile 4 when the elite runner passed, and we came in only 3 mins after you, so I have probably seen you but not realised it!  I would have been the one shuffling along complaining of blisters and how the miles seemed to go on forever, hahahahaha.  Did you have a black t-shirt on?

I've signed up for another half in a few months though, and i'll be back for the GCR next year, so can't have been too bad image

• Options

I've managed to find the results now.  I was looking on the GCR section of the News and Star website.  It seemed like the logical place to put them.

According to the gun times I did 1.46.57 and finished 460 out of 1535 finishers which I'm pretty pleased with.

• Options

My copy of the news & star paper plopped thru my letterbox this morning...my 'gun' time puts me about 4 mins behind my 'watch' time...which isnt too bad as I was right at the back at the start...and 69th female over 35...I will be interested to see how close my 'chip' time is to my 'watch' time.

lcw...I get the 'bloke' thing a fair bit too...people seem to assume that ladies cant be called Morgan...stayed in a very nice hotel recently & the welcome message on the tv in my room read...welcome Mr Morgan...grrr!!

• Options

took me 4:30 minutes to get to the start roughly going by my gun time

i seem to have received 3 copies of the paper for some reason too

• Options

Well done to all of you who completed this race. It seems to have been a tremendously successful event once again.

Mike, forgive me if this sob story is a bit cheeky. I will understand perfectly if you say 'No'
    My training partner and I were supposed to be doing this run, but we were both injured.(We were both entered and had received notification of our numbers) After 5 years of running half marathons, she was looking really good for breaking 2 hours for the first time, and we were both gutted not to be able to make the attempt at this run, having enjoyed the previous 2 GCRs immensley. The glass momento would have been really appropriate too, had we managed to cross the line together, but it wasn't to be.

I am hopeful that we'll be back to try again next year, and if we are successful, I'd love to surprise my training partner with the glass souvenir (Unless of course she pops into this thread, in which case it won't be a surprise). If you have a spare one, for a non-runner, I'd be most grateful (happy to pay the postage), but if not then no worries.

Either way, thanks, and I'll look forward to being there next year.

• Options

Hey XL

Sorry you never made it!  But get fit for 2008!!

• Options
    Would I be right in thinking we have now managed 1000 posts on this thread?  Is there a special prize for the 1000th poster?image
  • Options

Cheers Jon - I'm doing my best.

1:45 the target, and plenty of time to get ready.

definitely should be, Millsy

• Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭

Yay! 1002 posts on a thread that I started! That's a first.

Camel, if Mike doesn't have a spare one to send you for Pengwyn you can have mine - Mr J and I have one each and I'm not particularly proud of my time or anything  so wouldn't miss it at all. Just say if you'd like it and I'll send it in the post. E-mail me your address. 

• Options

yeah hope it all goes well for 2008!  Do you have any more runs planned than the GNR and GCR?

• Options

Many thanks, Jen. That's kind of you. I'll wait and see what Mike says - wouldn't want to deprive you of your hard earned souvenir uneccesarily.

I did my last GNR in 2006 - for the forseeable future anyway, Jon. This year was all geared towards GCR last Sunday and Amsterdam this weekend. I usually use November to sit down with my training partner and plan the following year. Next Autumn I'll definitely be back in Carlisle. Amsterdam 2008 depends on half-term holiday dates. I've got my eye on a couple of others, but after this year's debacle, I think I'll leave it until nearer the time to enter the races.

I'll probably be doing my usual shorter runs earlier in the year. N Tyneside 10k at Easter being the first.

• Options

welcome back XL-Man, so sorry you couldn't make the race this year, but i'll look forward to meeting you next year!

Millsy, you're prize as 1000th poster is you get to run the race next year and you've got to knock 10 mins off your pb, woo hoo!  Congratulations! image

• Options

Circulation of the News and Star must have hit an all time high yesterday. I got three copies of it as well. I really like the newspaper as a momento. I keep them all along with my medals and it's great to have a look at them in years to come. I've still a newspaper from my first Cumbrian Run which I think was 1985. I'd have to go back and check but I think there was over 5000 runners in those days. It was also my first half so the Cumbrian Run has always been a bit special for me, even though I've done 78 since then!

Is it some time next week for the chip times? Are they also going to be on the News and Star website?

That's me for this year. Would have liked to have done Jedburgh Half next week but can't make it this year. 2008 Half Marathons for me looks like this: Edinburgh in March, Dunfermline in May, Dundee in June, Glasgow in September, GNR (if I get in), Cumbrian and Jed all in October.

• Options
    My word Cap'n, next autumn is going to be a busy time for you! And 78 half marathons hey? That is impressive! I've lost count of how many I've done even though it is less than 20!!

Thanks to Millsy and Mick and lcw for their kind words - they are very much appreciated.

That's a cracking idea Mick, a couple of pints after the race - there's only one drawback matey - you'd be on about your 3rd one by the time I even came into sight!!

I'm glad there are so many who appear to be up for the return journey for GCR '08, cos I certainly will be and I'd very much enjoy the chance of meeting some of those I missed out on seeing this year! Don't know about proving myself as an elite Millsy, I'd just be more than content with getting back to normality of 2hrs - 2:10, which until this year has been my comfort zone. There's no reason why I shouldn't achieve this, given some decent preparation and being able to shed a bit of excess lard! Something for me to aim for!!

Oh yes - I meant to say in my "epic", very well done to lcw for completing your 1st half marathon - I knew you would - it's that determination you see!! And also to Pauline for such a terrific debut at the distance too - way ahead of my PB at your 1st attempt!!

BTW - lcw - no I wasn't wearing a black t shirt - I was wearing a white vest with Ronald McDonald House wording and logo on it. We must have been within a few hundred yards of each other though!

And Morgs / lcw - I must confess that I've almost been guilty of committing the cardinal sin of making reference to the wrong sex with both of you at some stage or other in this thread. I'd established in my own mind that you were both ladies, probably from references made in your postings, but given the lack of certainty from your forum names, I always erred on the side of caution...lest I put my size 8 right in it!! Can understand that it must get irritating though!!

And XL man - good to hear from you again! I know that you were gutted about having to miss GCR and Amsterdam but am so glad to hear you being upbeat about things again and to know that you're viewing things positively for next year. I really do hope that we will get to see you next year. 

But for all of us who were fortunate enough to be successful in GCR '07, it was 13.1 miles found and none left to find...until next time!!

• Options

Afternoon all

Boycs-I'll keep the pints in the pump for when you finish.Only on the say so of Millsy though.

Ive had 3 copies of the News and Star.Worth keeping for the future.

XL-Good to see you kicking about mate.

Hit ALDI this morning and bought a canny bit of running gear for this winter.Well worth a visit.

• Options

Heyas all and a big well done to everyone who took part! - I had to miss it (chest bug) but I've read some great reports here and heard that folks had a canny time.  Recieved a copy of the News & Star this morning if anyone wants an extra copy.

XL - gald to hear you're feeling more positive & hoping Pengwyns hip is on the mend.  North Tyneside 10k will be on the 23rd March - Easter is early next year - hope to see you there! 

• Options

Boycs - were you the person who said they undid a female's top off her bottle of water?

I asked a bloke at one stage for help as I couldn't unscrew mine, but not sure if it was you or not ... this person I asked had dark hair and seemed to be running with a woman.

If it was you, then thanks.  And if it wasn't, then thanks to whichever chap it actually was  image.

• Options

Boycs, I don't think youve ever called me a bloke on hear, but no worries if you have!  Only bothers me if i write down 'female' but people still don't believe me, hahahahaha.  I have a bad tendancy to run while staring at the pavement, so no wonder I didn't see you! 

Oh, I wouldn't mind a copy of the paper if anyone has a spare, as i've moved since I signed up for the GCR, and I don't think they've got my new address (and mail redirect has run out).  Would be nice to keep as you say Mick.

78 half mara's Cap'n......blimey that is 1021.8 miles, and that's without the training!!!!  Jings, feel tired just thinking about it. Well done!

• Options

Yes Shielsy - it was me who did do the removal of the top of a water bottle - it was around 3 miles and it was for a girl with dark hair who was running with her friend who had blonde hair. I do have dark hair but I was running on my own, so maybe it wasn't me who helped you out?

No lcw - I've not actually referred to you as a bloke - I've tried to box clever and used words that do not assign a sex - not wanting to cause offence and all that!

Mick - sounds good to me - as long as it's cool and refreshing it's good enough for me!!

Not back til Tues in case you think I've gone AWOL. 

• Options

Hey guys. I know this thread looks about finished now but just wanted to say I've enjoyed reading all the different comments on here. I logged on after the run on Sunday and picked up the thread. Next year I'll be on here a lot sooner for the build up.

It was my 1st half this year and really enjoyed it. Started running about 18 months ago and never thought I would get into it as much as I have. It's great to read other peoples opinions, from the faster guys to the opposite end of the field.

Hope to get involved in the build up next year. Good luck to you all.

If anyone could recommend any good races in the north of England over the coming months it would be very welcome. Me and my mates are new to the racing side of the sport but are keen to keep involved after last Sunday.

• Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Camel: glass thingy? (I still have the lovely box it came in - silk lining and everything)
  • Options

Hi, Jen

yes please, looks like Mike has vanished.

I'll e-mail my address to you later today, if that's OK

• Options

Changed my name again!  Might as well be known by my actual name (and what my friends call me!).

If anyone has a spare copy of the paper, could you send me one?  I didn't get one, sob sob.  I can e-mail you my address?

ta very much!

• Options
    Looks like those who were oversubscribed with papers got my copy too,not to worry though ,I'm tootling off to the Guy Fawkes page,then Loftus.Nice chatting and meeting up see you all at Carlisle next year-anyone fancy sub1.30 Captain H/Mr J ??

Wishing you all you wish yourselves

Hazzer
  • Options
    Den - Good race on Saturday 17th November.  Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler.  Fast course, well organised and despite the fact that this attracts a lot of club runners, many of whom will be finished within the hour there is still scope for those of us who take considerably longer over this distance. image 
  • Options

I haven't received anything in the post from the GCR (news and star etc) were we due to get out official chip times through the post too?

cheers

• Options
    A person from DE Photos has emailed me to say they're hoping to have all the GCR photos re-numbered and online by the end of the weekend  image.
  • Options

I think I'll stick to around the 1.35 mark Hazzerve. 1.30 is going to be a time that will always just be too quick for me. Give me a 5 minute start and I'll see you at the finish line.

I find it strange that the chip times aren't out. The Great North can get them back to you straight after the race.

All the best.

• Options

The photos are now on the DEPhotos website.  Mine's a belter, but I'm not reminding anyone of my number in an attempt to spare some of my blushes image

Anyone else game enough to go public?