Options

Given up smoking

Comments

• Options
    Lol hoose - "dogmatic at times" - at times??? You're on a highspeed bandwagon with no brakes!! ;-)

That's fine - i approve of nrt, carr and even bandwagons if they help anyone stop and stay stopped ... just don't let your big fast carr wagon knock anyone else's newly built and more fragile wagon off the rails eh?

Cheers for ongoing support
  • Options
    lol -did you read through that ebook again. I do reckon your big work is psychological and you will crack it in your own mind. If you knew the struggle i had you would understand my passion:O)
  • Options
    I'm still going. Yes, the mental cravings can be bad - especially in the evenings when I don't have much to do. I just try to keep busy and find something to do. It's also tough as I have injuries and I'm not able to run much at the moment. If I had actually planned to give up smoking at a certain time, I would have chosen a time when I could run. Then, whenever I got a craving I could go for a really long run and remind myself why I have quit.

I know what you mean about the insomnia too. I had a really rough night last night. I understand that some insomnia can be one of the side effects of quitting. It's all going to be worth it in the long run though!
  • Options
    well done colonel !!

I thought of going for a run each time I craved at one point - i would then die of over training.

Summat in me wishes that in the past 10 years I' would have been better off addicted to nictine patches -certainl on the health front. COPD is scary and would be terrifying had I not stopped.
  • Options
    Quitting when not running must be really tough. I can't do much at the moment as dodgy knee, but can at least manage 5k 3 times a week. Apart from giving me something to do in the evenings it does help with motivation as i can feel the improvement each time i go out. 12/ 10 for effort colonel.

Glad the insomnia thing isn't just me - was beginning to think i'd created it! Yoga night tonight, usually almost asleep before i get home so hopefully catch up on zzzz's a bit.
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Yes I'm still hanging in there. Well done Colonel and don't loose the faith Spooky.
    I have tried a few times since the NY to stop, involving hypnotism etc etc.
    This time I'm going cold turkey but have some nicotine gum handy in case of emergencys. Haven't used any yet but would prefer that quick fix to a fag.
    Having tried and failed a few times I am now on a mission to beat this, which is more about proving that I have the mental strength and discipline as more fed up with my weak will than smoking !!!
    On a more lighthearted note this wind business is causing some embarassment.
  • Options
    lol. Have to admit, part of my speed at the track last night was to put enough space between me and others to preserve my modesty!

Suspect it might be related to constipation in my case as i took a healthy dose of senakot last night and all seems calm today.
  • Options
    well done you Moobaloo - remember Not One Puff Ever -anthing but that first drag and you will be free as long as you keep the psychological work going.

the answer my frind aint blowing in the wind;O) -don't worry abou it -lol
  • Options
    Hoose, I have read the e-book and I can honestly say that I will NEVER scratch a mosquito bite ever again!!!
  • Options
    lol Nik what about the fags?
  • Options
    Haven't started my official giving up yet, but have booked my hypno session, I am feeling quiet confident however that I shall succeed this time, but in the meantime good luck to everyone else
  • Options
    you will do it Nik -I am sure. Arm yourself with all the tools you feel are worthwhile.

Got a book with an hypnosis disc if anybody wants it, I will post it to them if they e mail their address. I had lots but give 'em away to forumites early this year:O)
  • Options
    Spent this afternoon attacking my hedges with an electric hedge trimmer - very good diversion therapy. Power tools are the new nicotene? Will take a jigsaw to the floorboards tomorrow ;-0
  • Options
    Well done Spooky and Colonel and Moobaloo -you're doing good!
    One thing I can't believe I didn't mention is the HUGE difference it's made to my running. Remember that i was starting from scratch again after a two year break?
    I've built up from 1.6 miles taking over 18 minutes to a satisfying 15.43, which is nearly as good as it ever got! Also I'm now building up my distance - 45 mins last Sunday. I've put in for a 10K race at the beginning of September to give myself a goal, and also to keep me on the wagon.
    Still get cravings sometimes, but only when with other smokers or when stressed by teenage son!
    It really is worth it for the difference it makes to the running.
    It's also nice to have clothes and hair and breath that smell good instead of old ashtray!
    Sue
  • Options
    Hoose-goer: thanks for the encouragement -much appreciated.
    Spooky: I forgot to say, as well as sending you a daily e-mail, they also send you a text message every day, and there is a craving helpline number that you can ring 24/7 if things get tough.
  • Options
    Wicked DWicked D ✭✭✭
    Hi ALL - as i said before I'm an Ex smoker of 2 or 3 years as i've forgotten the date i stopped (its irrevelent)

to give more to the "smell test", I was finishing work tonight and one of the guys who was coming on duty had just had a ciggie, the whole area i work in smelt REALLY awful and i actually said to him "you've just had a ciggie mate aint ya", he knows how bad i am as i tried to help him pack up last year but to no avail, I said to him tonight "smelling you after your ciggie makes me feel GREAT and i KNOW i smell BETTER, i also know my skin and health is 100% better as there's loads were i work who cant run 100meters let alone a marathon.

every time i look at the price of ciggies I think why spend £5 on them when i can spend the same on something that'll last longer than 5mins

to all those TRYING to stop GO FOR IT as its great

to all those who have stopped "RESPECT"
  • Options
    you will become lovelier and lovely wicked as well as have the smell of a bloodhound:O)
  • Options
    Played cricket today and twisted my back again! I think I put my back injury rehab back two weeks today. Very unhappy about that.

But on a positive note, I went out and had several pints of beer after the game and didn't once feel like a ciggy! Get in!
  • Options
    Colonel

sorry about the cricket injury but

WELL DONE!! for not hving a ciggie after that and the booze. They are often times when we want one. Remember that you got through all that and you can do it again, craving or no craving.
  • Options
    good going colonel and hoose and wd and sue and spooky giraffe and go for it nik!!!

i like to remember the date as it is all part of my obscene smugness so i give myself little anniversary treats lol. can't wait until 14th june. six months will be a HUGE treat for sure.

keep the faith

ps i gave up sugar in tea coffee on the same day as i'm prone to carrying a bit of excess. the thinking was to pile all the misery together. now i can't stand it if someone accidently sugars my tea lol
  • Options
    Man of courage colonel - i salute you! Haven't dare been near the pop myself yet. Bad news about the back though - commiserations.

And i do like the idea of an aniversary with presents - i always buy myself a birthday and christmas present - and this has to be the best excuse for another shopping spree.

Re insomnia - Yoga worked brilliantly last night - fell asleep immediately i got into bed and slept like a log. And that was without being able to relax properly during session for fear of uncontrolled flatulence! The walk home was easy - jet propelled!

Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    I hardly slept a wink last night. Think it was more to do with my back though. Physio later should sort it out for now.

Sorry to hear about your flatulence Spooky! I understand that constipation can be one of the side effects.

This will be my first full weekend without the fags though. It will be the true test! I think I'm ready though!
  • Options
    great to hear everyone is still on track. i had a couple of pints in the pub garden last night without smoking but like you Colonel, think the weekend will be the big test.
    struggled to sleep last night as kept getting indegestion/sore throat type symptons which i presume is the gunk trying to escape?
  • Options
    Yesterday saw Ireland's worst place crash. A 2 seater Cessena crashed into a graveyard and the rescue teams have dug up 1,286 bodies. They believe there are stil more to be found.

(Apologies to all Irish people and feel free to substitute any other nationality!)

By the way, you are a non-smoker: you are back where you belong. Big hugs and keep the faith
  • Options
    lol

you are right about the non-smoking of course -if we were meant to smoke we'd have chiminees on our heads:o-
  • Options
    Chortle - first joke posted on the thread so far :)

Morning all. How's it going? Back to insomnia and permanent mild indigestion, but I knocked another 27 secs off my 5k route last night, so that's 1:24mins in the space of a week - sufficient compensation.

Sounds like we're covering the full range of possible side effects of quitting between us. Hope you two survive the weekend intact. I got through last weekend by spending most of it asleep or in the bath, but seem to be having spells of at least an hour now when i don't think about cigs at all, so maybe i'll be safe to go out if i avoid alcohol?

How did you get on with the physio colonel?
  • Options
    The backs not good. I've got some discal derrangement. Yes, it's as painful as it sounds!!!

On a brighter note, I had an evening in the pub last night and rarely did having a ciggie cross my mind!

Great to hear about the times Spooky! I really wish I could be out there with you but it looks like I'm going to be laid up for a couple of weeks yet!
  • Options
    That does sound excruciating as well as extrememly frustrating.

Though with a couple of weeks for the carbon monoxide etc to completely work out of your system you're really going to blast your pb's when you do get back to it.
  • Options
    Let's hope so! Can't wait!
  • Options
    Try using those patches to give up smoking..one on each eye, so you can't see your fags...

Seriously, giving up, must mean far less coughed up stuff, better breathing, longer life. And just think of all that extra cash!!!

Hey,Colonel, sounds like you need to see an osteopath..