Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Not sure if I'm supposed to laugh EF but the image I have of you running on Sunday....image
  • Options
    Oh dear EF, hope your eyes are better today. Enjoy your cocktails and good luck to all those racing this weekend.

I'm trying not to run, ie to rest my knees some more. Might go swimming shortly, once baby fed, but tennis date later so that will undo my good resting! Very cross with myself- body so weak!!

On plus side, found a marathon about 2 hours from here 2 weeks after my planned one. Might be worth aiming for...
  • Options

i bought baby rice because I'd read that it was the first thing to start them on. It is still sat in my cupboard with only a couple of teaspoons out of it because Abi much prefers the veg and fruit purées that I've been making for her. She's really started fighting the bottle now though which is a concern.

Good luck to everyone running this weekend. 

I've got a baby-free weekend so I can get lots of studying done. Only 3 weeks until my exams imageimageimageimage

• Options

Does anyone know where I can buy a handbag from? I have an urge to fill one with bricks and bop spammers on the head with it! image

• Options

Afternoon all

Caro - that's rubbish about hubby's job, no consolation at all for you but it is happening all over at the moment. I hope he gets a decent pay out at least after 10 years service.

I've never yet finished a whole packet of baby rice when weaning any of my girls - we're now 4 weeks into it with Anna and I've got more than half of the packet left as we only used it for the first week or so and even then you use such small quantities to start with that you don't use much at all. Had to chuckle at all the talk of baby poo - Anna's has become much more solid since we started weaning, there's no mistaking her poo face now - bright red with lots of grunting ... bless!

EF - cocktail mixing sounds like great fun, let us know how you get on. Closest I get to cocktail mixing is making up formula bottles image (Finally got Anna to start taking a bottle 2 weeks ago - hurrah - so am now only bf first thing in morning and last thing at night)

Minks - have you thought about going with Virgin instead of BT - doesn't cost anything to get connected with them. We've just got their phone, TV and broadband package and so far it's all pretty good and they installed within a week of us calling them.

Johbo - hope the knees are better soon, any ideas what's causing it? For a while now my right knee has been making a nasty crunching sound every time i walk up stairs after running - for now happily burying my head in the sand and hoping it isn't anything to worry about ....

PP - good luck with the studying, don't know how you're managing it though, I feel like I've still got pregnancy mush brain - hoping it'll kick start into action when I go back to work.

Did my 5 miles with hill reps this morning, well, the closest I could get to a hill in my bit of East London, wasn't massively steep but think it served the purpose. All good preparation for next week when we go to south Wales for a week at the in-laws where there's nothing but hills - not looking forward to a hilly 9 next Sunday image.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend and good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.  

• Options

LOL PP!

Good luck with the 10k EF and MR. Anyone else racing?

Good to see your speed coming back Caro (and MM) and well done for ticking off the hill sesh Karen.. Sending good knee vibes to Johbo. 

Baby rice is good for thickening up purees.

Had family over for food last night - again. Its been a hectic couple of weeks with hubbys brother and family here on holiday but they are heading home tonight. Ended up do wii Just Dance until 1am and then got up before 6am for my long run. another 18 in the bag today. Run was fine but I feel utterly shattered today whcih is not like me. But I've run for 6 days this week and the last 3 weeks have been 51, 52, 52 mile weeks with speed sessions too so to be expected I guess. Rest day tomorrow and a cutback week next week before my hilly 10k next sunday.

My oldest baby, Sophie,  is 10 tomorrow, can't believe how time flies! She has 4 friends over tonight for a sleepover and I have the second birthday cake for tomorrow to bake tonight. Family and friends coming for bbq tomorrow. Then hubby is away on Monday for a couple of days. Never a dull moment.

• Options
    Lotte - i am sure you are superhuman. 50 mpw plus 6 kids and family visiting - I'd need a week in a spa to recover!

EF and i off to give the 10K a try tomorrow - its a dull one unfortunately (involves turning at the half way point and coming back same way you went out which is very depressing as the RBs, Lotte and Minks of this world whizz past you on the return leg. Hey ho - medal and a t-shirt if nothing else!)

EF could be hampered by bad toe, gunky eye and a cocktail-induced lethargy. I've undertaken carb loading schedule of a 100kg male running a marathon instead of a ginger midget doing a 10K so likely to be hampered even getting over the start line!!

Sorry not to read back but Caro - pants about hubby. CM - good luck with 'moving' and make sure other folk do all the lifting and humphing for you with that bad back. Minks -we went with Virgin cos BT were so crap and they've been OK (apart from ridiculous price to phone o/s!!)

And I must be behind the times - when arsed I still co-ordinate my handbag with my outfit! Spammers eh
  • Options

lol at your carb loading MR. Hope you and EF have a jolly nice jog, assuming EF actually makes it in her state!.

Fab running as per usual Lotte. 

Where in South Wales are you going Karen? The hills will stand you in good stead for the HM! 

I've just finished studying and am rewarding myself with crap TV and a glass of cider, then a 7 miler in the morning before studying encore une fois! 

• Options

eyes still gunky.  but played a good game last night - Louise got up x 4 and I couldn't help because quite literalloy I couldn't see.  oh dear the chilli vodka is showing through with my typing already!

still it wasn't terribly pleasant when after five mins picking at all the sticky stuff on my eyes I still couldn't get them prised open and what was more irritating was that I hadn't a fricking clue whether it was morning or the middle of the night - could tell it was daylight outside but that means nothing.

got to boots today and got some ointment but couldn't use it til after I had picked up Andy cos I had a feeling I wouldn't be able to see once in and I had to drive.  Just as well cos I kept trying to wipe my glasses thinking they had steamed up only to realise it was my eyesight!

Sooo even if eyes clear up a bit I daren't use my contacts and I can't run in glasses esp as forecast is drizzle so I am going to be truly blind.   Prob just as well am cadging a lift off MR!

Cocktails was fun.  Leanred to make (OOPS AGAIN) A mojito, cosmopolitan, white russian, long island iced tea and I hve already forgotten the other one!  We had to give each other silly names and if we used our real names you had a forfeit which was a chilli vodka.  If you grassed someone up for using real name then ou got a nice shot - raspberry or tropical flavour vodka. I didn't do any grassing up (for obvious reasons) but then the rules got changed so the grasser could nominate someone.  boo.  Eneded up with 2 tropical flavour, one chilli and one raspberry I(which I won as runner up in the cocktail making contest) and also had a small cocktail on a rrival and then drank the one I made - I chose cosmopolitan cos it looked easiest! 

have now drunk over 2 litres of water to try to combat it all and also ate some pizza and potato wedges at the do.  Had to stop at public convenience on morrison st (not pleasant) cos drank so much water on train back from Glasgow!  Have had some pasta and chicken tonight.  Goodness I am going to be such a lumbering blob tomorrow!  I haven't actually run a step since last Monday! 

Baby rice, think I used it twice, Lou liked the real food too.  Tbh baby rice just looked like wallpaper paste to me, I reckon it would be a good substiturte. 

Another virgin media customer here too, mainly cos bt wasn't connected and wanted a fortune to come out and connect us so told them to forget it, then virgin let me pick my own phone number which frankly was rather cool.  so we end in 7174 which are our respective years of birth. how sad am I?

right, better go, in order to print email from scottish gas 10K I hve to log off the laptop which I needed to find the email as weirdly I sent it to work  one,  then I need to reset the internet connection and go upstairs and sign on wirelessly on the pc and log onto yahoo.  how many of you want to place bets for THAT one working first time?

OK, best go and maytbe get a strong coffee!  I am such a lightweight!!!

• Options
    Just printed off my entry details for 10K tomorrow to discover have listed my gender as male - so would appear to have carb loaded appropriately after all image)
  • Options

Snort!!

And yes this post means I have successfully loggd onto pc instead of laptop.  decided to top up the carbs with wscone and jam - or in my sweet toothedness my jam and scone.  then remembered I did actually have a twirl on the train too.  shudder to think how much weight have put on this week. oh gawd, the raspberry and white choc muffin I shared with Lou this moring has just popped back into head!

• Options

I'm here!  Sorry to have kept you all waiting...image  Just a quickie from me as it's bedtime and I am really rather tired image.  Nicholas Gabriel born on Wed 28th weighing 9lbs 14oz (a mere half a pound lighter than his sister image).  Cutest thing ever.

So yes the sweep did the trick and, in a nutshell, I was 4cm dilated by 8am on Wed but stayed like that till 1pm when they examined me.  Frustrating and I was beginning to despair as contractions were irregular but painful.  Got in bath as they wouldn't let me in birthing pool till 5cm.  Contractions got bit stronger around 2pm, was considering more pain relief.  MW checked on me at 2.16pm, happy with progress and went away.  Roughly 3 contractions later and a frantic pull on the emergency cord by hubby, my waters broke and out flew Nicholas to be caught just in time by a speedy MW!  Born 2.22pm...I was in shock for at least an hour, couldn't stop shaking!

Needless to say I am NOT having any more children, I've had quite enough of labour thank you image.  Amazingly I only suffered the tiniest tear which did not even need stitching, and physically am feeling pretty good though a bit achey from bf I think more than anything - milk has well and truly come in and I have 2 large tender footballs to contend with image.

However N got weighed today and has lost 10.9% of birthweight so of concern, but am hoping now my milk is here he can pork up again.  MW coming again tomorrow to check.  We're a bit worried because the same thing happened with Sophie although she lost 13% and ended up in hospital, but Nicholas has had an hour feedathon tonight which cheered us up a lot.

Right time for a bedtime feed and then what is laughably called bedtime.  Sophie has screamed blue murder for a good couple of hours every night since he was born, poor thing I just want to cuddle her but that makes it worse, she needs to accept that we're here and it's ok to just go to sleep image.  Oh and I've just had the 3 day hormonal meltdown...image

• Options

JG - huge congratulations, he was quite some size image wasn't he?  Hope you get a better night tonight.

EF and MR - good luck tomorrow, I sense you may not be flying round the course (I don't like those courses where you see the runners ahead on their home leg - too tempting to turn around and join them!), I'll be amazed if EF makes it to the start line in the state she is in tonight!

Forgotten everything everyone else has said.......sorry.

PP - good studying and bon chance for another good day of study tomorrow.

• Options

Quick lurk from me to say congrats to JG! 

TT, you were right, it is ROASTING here! It's been nearly 100F today. I'm getting used to it now though. image

• Options
    Congrats JG and well done. Big hug for the nightmare that is 3 days post-natal (((()))). J lost 18% of his bodyweight in a week. Not good, but he's really chubby now image

MR, oh dear! Wonder if they'll let you in the ladies' loos! image
  • Options
    Yeah JG, Nicholas was a whopper wasn't he!  Congratulations and here's hoping that Sophie settles into having a little brother soon. x
  • Options

Love the name JG - Gabriel would be one of my choices, although I think hubby would take some convincing. Congratulations, well done and yes - what a whopper! I don't think Leila hit 10lbs until she was nearly 3 months old!!

Good luck with the race MR and EF. Look forward to hearing all about it - will make me smile, if the previous posts are anything to go by image

Lotte  - fab running as always. I meant to ask, do you take gels and water on your long runs? You do amazingly well on a cuppa and slice of toast! I bet you will hit -3.15 on your next marathon.

Glad you are having fun in the sun TB!

Bit of a sore head here this morning. We went to a open air concert at Cliveden last night and had a picnic and a bit too much wine. Was good fun, but not so much this morning at 7.30 when hubby woke Leila when he got up for golf.

Leila has just fed me a spoon of her weetabix and asked "Mummy, want anything else!?" Yes, another hours sleep and a paracetamol please!

• Options

lol Anjelicals!

I've just got back from what was meant to be a ploddy 7 miler. I got chatting to some bloke about 4 miles in and ended up running at his pace....so much for my plod! I ended up doing 8min miles which is very fast for me, especially when I was planning on doing 10 minute miles. My face is beetroot but I'm happy! image it's the fastest and furthest I've been since Abi was born.

• Options

Hey, good running PP.

I'm back from my early Sunday run.  Out by 6.30 as it's too hot otherwise.  Only 4.5 miles but managed to run the whole way with no stopping so quite pleased.  Ooh, if I have done my sums correctly image - hope so, I've got a maths degree!! - I did about 8.5 minute miles!!  image  Coooool!

TB - hope you are enjoying yourselves in all that heat.

Anjelicals - hope you manage to squeeze in another hour of sleep (I guess that's pretty unlikely if your husband  is playing golf).  Mr TT has also just left to play golf so Max and I need to find something to do, a wander round the shops is on the cards I think.

• Options
    Hello all. Not been on for ages as we've been on hops in Cornwall. Had brill time and James loved the beach. Got sand everywhere and I still keep finding bits in his ears!

Had a quick skim back but far too much to remember. Big congratulation JG, lovely name and well done for only getting small tear. Hope little Nicholas gets his eating sorted soon and that Sophie gets used to the big change.

Sounds like there has been some good fast running going on. I managed one very hilly run in Cornwall, but spent most of the rest of the time eating too much and sampling some nice wine in the evening.

Been reading the weaning talk with interest as we are going to start James soon. Sounds like good fun! Especillly the nappies and farting.

Oh just remembered - Sonya, hope Maggie is still settling better. Can't remember who said it, but I agree with trying to ignore one or two of her night wakings if you think it
    could be out of habit and for comfort rather than because she is starving.
  • Options
    Congratulations JG! Lovely name and what a big boy! Hope family life settles down again soon and you start feeling like your old self.

I did 8 miles this morning! Most since pre pregnancy too. Not exactly at the same pace as you speedy girls, TT and PP, but a couple were under 9 min miles. Took my sis with me who was only going to do 6 but she gave in to my and did all 8, pleased with my motivation skills (even though she says she's broken now image)
    Karen- so impressed by your following of the sub2 schedule, I saw the 5 mile hilly for yesterday, which I could've done as hubby took Mags to rhyme time, but instead I sat on my bum reading the book i started when still pregnant (the first millennium book, had to re-read from beginning as its complicated for my baby brain!). You will whizz past me on the royal parks half.

Anjelicals- did leila at least get you the paracetamol? image

Hope you had a good race MR and EF, despite all the horrid injuries and ailments. The cocktail making sounded well worth a hangover though.

KK - holiday in cornwall sounds lovely, did you dip him in the sea for a paddle or was it too cold for that? We desperately need a holiday, hubby especially, might manage a week in Oct after my race, but will be weaning by then so not as easy as would be if we went now. Thinking a villa in the canaries maybe. Baby passport all done just in case.
    Yep, we are thinking of letting Maggie cry (gulp) when she wakes at night, she just wakes every hour, even after a huge dream feed. We were going to start sleep training last night and move her into own room but she's got a cold so didn't think it was the best timing! I wore earplugs and let hubby do most of the settling though as was sooo shattered yesterday.
    Saw osteopath yesterday too, she told us we didn't need to go again as she is far more relaxed which was good news and that the night waking must be habit.

Went to see Inception at the cinema this afternoon, very good but very long. Was good fun doing something with just hubby. I ate my body weight in pick n mix, definitely more than 8 miles worth! My sis babysat Maggie and apparently she had a screaming fit for about an hour, probably because I wasn't there image. Hope she agrees to babysit again as Mags will only get worse on other people if no one will look after her!

Anyway, better go dig around for something for dinner, am surprisingly hungry after all those sweets!

• Options

Sympathy for the sore heads- I had a few beers last night and feel such a light weight compared to when I could down 8 pints!

Good luck to the racers today- had the chance to do a 10M in Brecon but didn't have a babysitter & foot still tender underneath so didn't  really mind. Did a 21mile bike ride instead yesterday which almost killed me.

JG- pesky hormones, sure you'll feel better soon. My boobs were like water melons too! Excellent opportunity to express a bit for the future if you can/ want. Hope little fella starts to plump out again soon!

MR- I used to date a guy called Stacey and he often got listed as female, wouldn't be too bad except he was blimmin quick so 'won' a few times. 

Grrrr day here. Hubby went to pick up tiles bought from ebay and they weren't listed correctly so he umm'd & arr'd but paid and got them home only to decide they wouldn't match afterall. He then left to do a job for my sis and the boys went out to play. Great- until Archie found the patch of oil which has been leaking from eldest's car.... now used all my Virgin Vie scrub trying to get it off him & thrown his shoes away. Whilst Archie in luke warm bath (eldest had used all the hot water) eldest phoned to say he'd fallen out with girlfriend and was changing his plans, while he was on the phone he started swearing because his card was refused in the garage as no cash in his account. I was REALLY sympathetic....

• Options

Glad you having good time TT, very hot, not sure I could cope with that hot.

Glad osteoptah thinks Maggie is more relaxed now. We are going back in 10 days too, she reckons she got the tummy issues sorted but not the tummy sleeping as she is still a bit uptight. Really hoping it works as it worries still so much. However she does sleep well on her front, so what do we do??

LOl at the being a man MR, hope you got it sorted.

Grrr! to hubbie Camlo. Sometimes they really do take the biscuit hey!!

Sounds like a lovely holiday KK, I want to be on holiday again. The pyrennees was quite hard work with a baby and camping. Off to my Mum's next week though, so boys can get some beach action.

Good to hear your news JG. Sounds like my birth I must say. I got in the pool 10 mins before I gave birth and the midwife was so shocked the head was sticking out she had to jump in the pool to catch Sophie!! I was in shock too. Hope you're feeling better now. Hope the birth weight comes back, but I guess he has quite a bit of weight to start with so it shouldn't be too bad.

Busy weekend here. Had to put up the tent again to dry it out. Its going back to Vango tomorrow and we'll hopefully get a refund to buy a new tent. We shall see I guess. Went to neighbours for BBQ last night then had in-laws here today for lunch.

I managed 10 miles this morning at 8.30-ish pace. It felt quite hard, but I think I might have mild mastitis as feel tired and achey and have a ridge and a lump in my right breast. Was hoping to avoid all this again, but it seems to have got me. Massaging with each feed and taking some ibuprofen and hopefully will nail it without ABs. image

Right some athletics and beans on toast required!! image

• Options

MM- am more pee'd at eldest who hasn't shown his face since. At least the 'wrong' tiles can go back on ebay! 

I had mastitis and found lying on my front in the bath so they had a good soak in hot water while expressing/ massaging the area helped to shift the blockage.  Can't believe how quick you girls can run when you are either preg or just given birth!!!!

Also watching the athletics- wish I could run a 15 min 5K...

• Options

JG - congrats on your new arrival. Hope you've come out the other side of the 3 day meltdown okay ...

Sonya - good going on the 8 today. Mine was really sluggish, just didn't have it in my legs today and the last 2 miles were shockingly slow. Bit disappointed really as the rest of this weeks runs have all felt surprisingly good. Just putting it down to my body not being used to running this much in a week (28 miles this week) ... oh, and the half a bottle of red wine downed last night probably didn't help either! And don't worry, I don't think there's any danger of me flying past you at the Royal Parks, still think sub 2 is wildly over-ambitious given it's my first hm but hubby talked me into doing this training plan so we'll just see how it goes ...

PP, TT and MM - good running gals!

PP - was it you who asked where we're off to in Wales? In laws live in Llanelli, in an area called Bryn which I'm told means "hill" - how appropriate!!!image Are you in that neck of the woods too?

Gotta dash now as Sherlock about to start on BBC1 - was fab last week, hope this one is as good.

• Options

Karen- lots of beach runs down there I think, we spent last week in Carmarthen bay, lovely!

Flippin 1500M - couldn't run with all those pony tails flapping about!!! 

• Options

7 for me today, jusy under the hour and half of it was off road along a river bank so pleased with that.  Guts really dodgy though so had to do a bush dive at the 3 mile mark.

Been picnicing in St James Park with friends and their kids this afternoon, 4 babies (well the other 3 were all under 1, so M definitely not a baby anymore!) and about 10 adults, lots of yummy food, badminton, sunshine, what more could you ask for?

Congrats JG!  Love the name too.

Going to the museum of Childhood tomorrow, been before but it's only a few stops on the tube and an old school friend of mine has an exhibition of children's photos on there at the moment. 

• Options

Karen it was me, I think I've asked you before actually. My MIL lives in Swansea and I was down there for the first few weeks post birth. Have a lovely time.

Some great running has been going on today. image

• Options

Congrats to JG!

PP I brought the great running to a shuddering halt today.  Though MR did stupendously - I'll let her tell you! - and so did my friend Becca.  I, however, ground to a dead slow at 8.5K and then walked up the ferocious hill which features at about 9.5K - what a bloody place for a hill.   I forgot how much I hate this race!  Tis an industrial estate til you get on the promenade then it's a headwind to the switchback and then the wind just vanishes and all I could feel was myself getting hotter and hotter and thinking chilli vodka ugh!  Then I had had high hopes of the hill at the end having been cut off the route somehow because beforehand we were talking and it transpired the route changed a few years ago but sadly that certainly wasn't one of them!  Did 50.36 which is a far cry from the 46.07 back in May but can hardly complain given that my prep was ahem, substandard.

1500m was a disaster, poor Lisa D.  That Rodriguez bird seems a bit of a loose canon, wouldn't fancy running beside her, she just seems to be clipping heels and bopping people about all the time.  no harm done as it happens but I can see it's something waiting to happen.  Was screaming at the men in the 4x400m too. 

Feeling bit sheepish about own escapades so going to try to get focused and find another race soon ish but far enough to get some training in!

Oh and all that shoogling finally brought on AF.  thank goodness - i was sick of wondering whether I should be doing another test (which in case anyone thinks I am wholly reprehensible going out cocktail making whilst poss preg, I did do either Fri night or Sat am and it was again neg).  so it's all systems go for the all singing all dancing clearsil number tomorrow, just got to remember to press "M" about 7.45am!