Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Caro, wine is an essential item, not a luxury.  image
  • Options
    Yes but then hubby will say the same about beer and it all adds up!
  • Options
    Yve - I'm still wiping the tears of laughter away from my eyes that keep pouring out when I try to use your word 'organised' to describe myself.  If you knew what I have managed to achieve so far today, you would laugh too!  It's not that I don't have much to do, my 'To Do' list is quite scary.  I'm just sooo crap at getting on and doing any of it.  I've some 'MUST dos' to do today though so really must get on with it!!!
  • Options
    CM - hope everything goes well with your new place - you are very brave!

Saw quite a few posts about baby rice and I can definitely recommend baby led weaning. I havn't done a single puree with Aidan, or cooked him anything different to what we are eating. Its been genius and he eats like a horse. Not sure if having decent hand eye co-ordination helped but he took to solids like a duck to water.

I have managed to have a rough week with a sore throat, food poisoning and then conjunctivitis. Not much fun. At least I can surf the net now though as having no internet is a pain!

Aidan doing proper crawling now so he's a busy boy!
  • Options
    Just a quick one to say that I really hope the move went well CM. You are incredibly brave and deserve some happiness now.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Yve - funny, I was thinking about you earlier and wondering how you were and them you turned up image nice to hear from you.
  • Options

Thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement and that it is just the "first few weeks" that are the worst!  Obviously I know that from Sophie but it's funny how you lose all perspective with lack of sleep! Also really interesting hearing your stories of one side working better than the other - makes me feel a lot better image.  The MW came yesterday and said to express from the rubbish side 3-4 times a day which I am doing.  It seems to be picking up slowly but is nowhere near as good as the other side, but Nicholas seems to be sucking a bit better on it so fingers crossed.  I am already really happy that I have managed to successfully breastfeed this far which is more than I managed with Sophie and I really beat myself up about it.

I've felt a lot more emotionally stable too, although a bit feeble today, been snapping at hubby a bit.  He wants to take Sophie to the seaside, which I do too coz we've never been and I'm sure she'd love it, but he wants to go before his paternity leave ends.  I'm just like, I can barely cope with a trip for the 4 of us to the park. never mind an hour plus drive to Cleethorpes, then having to worry about finding somewhere to bf etc etc.  Maybe I'm just not in the mood today...image

CM - thinking of you and hoping it all works out and hubby does not kick up too big a fuss. (()))

Yve - I do find you have to regularly read to keep up and if you have any kind of life it's just impossible image.  I am keeping up quite well at the moment...!

Anyway MW back tomorrow so will see how N is doing.  He seems to be doing really well so we feel a lot happier.

My sister gave Sophie some Timmy Time slippers as a little "welcome baby" present, and I made the mistake of putting them in her room tonight - she demanded to wear them in bed, then started crying after an hour or so and hubby went up to find she'd pulled one off but couldn't get the other one off and was all tangled up in her duvet!  They've now been removed from the room... She's been so sweet today, loved the park and the little train, then at bedtime said "night night Nicholas" and gave him a kiss and a cuddle.  Hormonal Mummy wanted to burst with pride image.

Right time to get ready for bed, have a feeling N is going to want a late evening feed tonight...

• Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭

You should go to the seaside JG - it will be fine and you will feel so chuffed with yourselves when you 'survive' your first outing as a 4 it will be worth it. 

As for finding somewhere to bf - I'm sure you'll soon get to the stage where you will do it anywhere (have boobs will travel - soo convenient!) - I am definately like that this time more than last, case in point saw me bf Elliot in the children's dept and on the escalator in Ikea the other week because he wouldn't wait and I didn't want to/couldn't really sit down for 15 minutes!!

We are off camping this weekend in the van (slightly scary!) - have bought a big awning and are thinking that hubby and Z will sleep out there while me & E sleep in the van.   Z is going to have to go in his travel cot though we think, which is a bit odd because he has been in his big boy bed for a week now - but not sure what else to do.  Anyone else go camping at this sort of age?  What did you do for sleeping?  Did wonder if he would just go on a mattress on the floor, but can't help thinking he will just rampage around.

Weather is looking shocking, but hopefully it will be fun.  Going with the inlaws so there will be plenty of baby dangling being done image

Was going to run tonight but I had a migraine this morning out of nowhere - get flashy eyes then numb down one side of my face & my hands - tricky to deal with when you have 2 children to take care of and can't really see, and then I feel confused and sore for a good 12 hours after it's over.  Not great.

• Options
    CM - hope all went OK today and you're in your new situ.

JG - congrats! Forgot to say that last time I was in. He looks v cute on FB, and your new profile pic is image

MM - happy birthday! And lovely photos of Sophie on FB - she is fairly coming on.

CC - hope you are surviving now you've joined us on this side of the border! And hope the unpacking and washing is going OK (esp the washing bit given your machine troubles!)

TallB - bummer on the migraine. Used to get those ones myself - always left me with a raging appetite afterwards! Enjoy the camping.

Kinsey - not been your week at all with those illnesses. Hope you're on mend now?

Minks - hope you're managing to stay on top of errant post littered around the house. Clearly a man thing!

JohBo - swim, swim, swim but resist the running. Difficult I know as the moment someone says 'don't' you just want to 'do'. Go easy on yourself.

Camio - a minky?! i've never heard it called that before, lol though.

Caro - slight drawback on the enjoyment of shared showering and bathing is when your children stick their hands, feet, elbows where they really shouldn't - can bring a tear to one's eye sometimes!

Sorry not to namecheck everyone - skimmed back a couple of pages but have retained little of who said what!

Right - must be bedtime as just heard the Military Tattoo fireworks go off. Gotta love Edinburgh at festival time!
  • Options
    Tallbird - ouch to the migraine, i went to bed at the same time as the kids last night with a headache.
    Think me catching everything under the sun is just a side affect of not enough sleep.

We have done controlled crying this week and its kind of helping although Aidan still woke at midnight and 3am last night but he is settling quite quickly and with very little intervention from me.

JG - hope the bf improves soon - definitely the first few weeks are very intense! Time flies second time around though which helped for me! Can't believe Aidan is going to be 1 in two months time!!!!
  • Options

Yeah go to the seaside JG (easy for me to say with 1) I think next time, I will be a little bit less bothered about BF in public. I was a little shy with Leila image

TB - http://www.elc.co.uk/Thomas-Friends-My-First-Ready-Bed/124233,default,pd.html I think Leila would quite like the Peppa Pig one for camping which we will get next year as she is still in a cot at the moment. I think Leila would be on the rampage too in one of these but may be worth the investment for the future. Boo to the migraine, hope it passes quickly.

Off to Savill Garden this morning, looks quite sunny and then maybe swimming later.

• Options
    Hmmm. Wonder if you can buy straps for those beds?! image 
  • Options
    Just asked Leila to come here to change her nappy and she replied "no... sorry" and got on with playing with her tractor. Great.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    That looks good angelicas - wonder if I could modify a self inflating mattress with a cover or something to include some side buffers? Won't stop him escaping but will stop him rolling off. Hmmmmmmmm
  • Options
    Was going to say ready bed too. Fab things...
  • Options

Vixo was it you that went to the chilli festival in sussex last yr?  It's on this wk end and was thinking about it as something to do on Sun.  Would you recommend it?

• Options

I saw Carovet's Dad in Greenwich last week (it was your Dad wasn't it Caro?).

/members/images/155583/Gallery/IMAG0571.jpg

• Options

Given that he was born in 1798 I don't think it's my Dad!  It is Captain Francis Liardet who was a naval officer.  My uncle Guy Liardet was commandant of the naval college in Greenwich from '98 to '90 as well.  Amusingly the guy in the bust was married to someone called Caroline Anne Liardet, which was my name before I was married.

Think we're going to go to the beach on Sun - the Essex Riviera no less.

CC I know what you mean about supermarket shopping, which is my domain.  I am rarely extravagant but I am conciously making sure we eat all the food in the cupboard at the mo and stop buying more.  Curry was yum.  We have lots of dried lentils and chick peas so I expect we'll be having a  lot more of them.

Angelicas how old is Lelia now?  Are you thinking about potty training?  We're thinking about it, but not doing anymore than that, esp since M is now convinced that the bathroom ceiling is going to fall on her head and won't go near the place!

• Options
    Had a text from hubby to say he has a phone interview later with the Independent Schools Inspectorate.  Interesting........He's met one recruitment agency, and I think is meeting 2 more on Mon.
  • Options

CM, I've been thinking of you all week, and particularly yesterday.  I hope it went ok and you and the kids are now in your new home.

Minks, glad your injury seems to be better.

TB, sorry to hear about your migraine, I have no idea how you can look after two kids with that!  BUt good luck image

Caro, good news about your hubbie's potential jobs, he'll probably have something better than he has now before he leaves his current job!  I always think you lose the best people when something like this happens in an organisation.

Thanks for the messages of support re: my bad knees.  It is incredibly hard not to do anything that aggravates them (walking up and down stairs!image), but I really need to take stock and get them sorted, so no more running for me in the immediate future.  Had a 1:1 pilates last night and clearly my core and hips are still very weak, so if I can get on with working on them before my physio appointment in 10 days' time hopefully I will be well on the way to recovery.  Can't cycle either as that hurts, so swimming is my only sanity saviour!  Unfortunately the pool is coming to the end of its cycle before massive clean, and each time I go I come out with ear, nose and throat issues...bit of a weakling all round at the moment, I was doing better at 38 weeks' pregnant!

• Options
    Caro - Martha is nearly 2.5 and I don't think she's ready for potty training yet, she's got a real aversion to sitting on the toilet at the moment after a brief flirt with it, and there is no way she is going to let me anywhere near her when she is pooing still.
    Good news about potential work for your hubby though - good to get out there and look straight away I suppose.

Just made a lemon drizzle cake -hope it tastes as good as it looks!

cragchick - sounds like the move has gone okay - hope you are all settling in!
  • Options

Ooooh, just looking for an alternative marathon over the winter, and the French Riviera one looks lovely - pretty much 26.2m along the coast...

http://www.marathon06.com/2010/AN/index.htm

..99 days to go though, so maybe a bit too soon for a cripple like me image

• Options

Caro - Leila is 2 next month. She isn't ready for potty training yet as in she doesn't tell me when she has done a poo, let alone before!! I might buy some sort of toilet training seat in the next few months but I am in no rush!! I have heard somewhere, leave it until they are 2.5 - 3 and you will crack it in a week.

Johbo - how old is your little one now? I have looked at that marathon too, going through Canne, Nice and Monaco isn't it? Guess it's a good one if the wind is going in your direction!! Hope the knees improve.

• Options
    I am wondering whether, if I start training now, I might do Dublin marathon next year? Although that would mean me being healthy enough to run at the moment.
    I should think I would just aim to get around too - and to think I used to hope of a sub 4hr!
  • Options
    For some reason I always think Lelia is older than Matilda Angelicas.  I am glad I am not the only one in no hurry.  The other morning she did say she needed a poo so we did the whole sitting on the potty thing (this was before she was freaked out by the light falling down) - well of course nothing happened and it was several hrs before she did one!
  • Options
    Martha said last night in the bath that she could feel a wee coming 'I can feel it coming mummy!', and then nothing - then she sat in the water and did it (I could see it). Weird.
  • Options

Yeah, Leila always does a wee as soon as she gets in the bath or shower too. When to start potty training, I guess it is finding time when we aren't busy and doing things. I think there is about 6 weeks between M and Leila, Carovet.

Kinsey - do it! The Dublin was my first marathon and I loved it. Plenty of space to move and support when you need it. I never forget a lady in the crowd cheering my name (it was on my vest) at mile 24 and then shouting that she had met my husband and parents in the pub having a guiness! image 

CC - I am always tempted to try barefoot beach running in Wales. Although I run from Rhossilli beach, the other end of Llangennith by Worms Head, and back so would have to run some of it on concrete (up the steps and into the car park) unless I left my shoes on the beach. Is that what you would do?

Have had a busy day, Savill Gardens, where Leila fell off her scooter and bashed her head then swimming this pm after nap. Just finished bed time and now sitting with a glass of wine watching the athletics.

We are off to Manchester tomorrow for hubbys best friends engagement party so Leila staying with Nanny and Grandad.

• Options

Another one in no hurry for potty training here, despite my mum's incessant nagging (why won't they accept that things are different now?!).  Sophie sits on her potty and happily reads books and has done a couple of poos and wees on it but generally there's nothing.  And she has no idea when she's weeing either.

Anyway we've had a fun day here, not.  MW came this morning for another weigh-in, we were all upbeat and confident that Nicholas is doing well, despite not always feeding every 4 hours.  She used the scales that the other MW used when she first weighed him last week  (and he had lost 10.9%), and...he'd lost 11.1% image.  So the scales she used when his weight went up were clearly wrong image.  So we had to go to the Children's hospital to get him checked out - Sophie in tow and everything.  They took blood samples and wee sample, weighed him, prodded him etc etc and eventually concluded that he was fine apart from not gaining weight, i.e. his blood sugar and salt levels are fine.

So we got sent home image but the MW wants me to feed him every 3 hours and I'm starting to feel so frustrated and fed up with it already.  I tried to feed him after 3 hours this afternoon and he was not interested at all.  Then after 4 hours he suddenly woke up, did a big poo and was hungry!  I just fed him from the "good" side and expressed 40mls from the other side, which I was pleased with (hospital Medela pump better than my Avent one I think).

Then he demanded another feed after 3 hours, so I fed him on the good side and warmed up the 40mls EBM for him, and he just didn't want it.  It was the first time he'd been offered a bottle but I really don't think he was hungry.  It's just so frustrating because now I have to throw that milk away.  But what can I do?  I can't force feed him, I do everything I can to wake him up for a feed but he just sits staring not opening his mouth, or latches on then dozes off almost straight away.

Sorry to go on, I just feel like he's doing ok, he seems happy enough, and all this force feeding is making me feel stressed and not helping anyway image.  I only managed to express 20mls just now on my pump, less to throw away I suppose...!  I know he's not gaining weight but if he's not showing signs of dehydration surely he's ok??

TB & Anjelicals (I think!) - yes you're probably right about the day trip, maybe we'll brave it on Monday...

Anyway I'm pretty tired having lost my nap time being in hospital today, so I've got to try and feed him again in 20 mins and see how that goes...

Sorry for miserable post, I wish this damn feeding business was simpler!