Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options

CM - I totally understand the swimming thing, I feel so guilty even now because I can't take S to her swimming lessons anymore coz of N, but for someone else to take her and me not see it...I think I'd/I'll cry!

Very true that the dummy thing isn't the kid's fault, I hadn't thought of it like that before.  I guess it's a 2 way thing - could be a super stroppy kid and a weak parent, or a clingy kid and a parent who's not bothered either way...

Anyway, good news!!! Nicholas's heart is doing really well and he only has a very slightly leaky valve still, so mild that the consultant says it's barely there and will probably go in time.  He's coming off 3 of his 4 medicines (not the one that's a pain to get hold of unfortunately!) as of now, and he'll be reviewed in 3 months time when he says he may well be able to discharge him! imageimageimage  Hubby is getting fizzy wine on the way home...

I'm soooo pleased I could cry, it's such a massive relief.  It just hangs over you constantly even without you realising it.  The ONLY worrying thing I heard the consultant say is that it's very unusual for a "neonate" to "revert back to atrial flutter after cardioversion" - in other words for his heart rate to come down with one electric shock, then go back up again and need another shock to get it down again.  But that's only worrying because they haven't heard of it before, that's just me trying to find things to worry about!

I'm with you CM on the baby stage - I remember you saying that before and I didn't totally agree then, but I think the stress we've had with both babies has made me want a 6 month old every time!  No more children, definitely...I don't think my stress levels can take it!

We're meeting uni friends for lunch tomorrow in Café Rouge, I'm really looking forward to it.  Ridiculous how going out for lunch can get so exciting once you have 2 kids isn't it...?! image  Might do a few exercises now before I pick S up, N is thrashing happily in his bouncy chair watching TV image.

• Options
    Caro - also agree about loving every stage though, I think from 4 months they just start doing "stuff" and M sounds the same as S now, like a proper little person you can communicate with and who can crack her own jokes!  Her latest thing is to say to everything "hello x, having a nice day in the x?" e.g. "hello fishy, having a nice day in the bottle?" (liquid soap with fish on it) "hello spider, having a nice day on the window?" "hello cat, having a nice day on the card?" (birthday card with cats on) I think it's hilarious! image  She also loves to say "it's not...its..." e.g. "it's not Mum, it's Mummy!" or the way she says things "it's not wheelbarrow (silly voice) it's wheelbarrow (proper voice)!".  Love her to bits.
  • Options

where J swims (it's a swimming pool in a gym) you can't see the pool from anywhere and you aren't allowed to stand on the side and watch. however, that is a blessing in disguise, as  E would want to be in there as well if we had to wait on the side, so that would be a nightmare!

did your hubby hear anything about the other job at his work then caro?

oh and caro - M hangs up her coat?  at that age, J used to wriggle out of his and drop it on the floor, and the staff would hang it up for him! at school they make him do it for himself.  it's quite funny actually, watching them all struggling with their waterbottles, bags, jumpers, coats, envelopes with dinner money in etc first thing in the morning.  they are all fingers and thumbs and don't know what to put down first!

• Options

JG - woohooooo to N!!! no wonder you are relieved.  that is just fab!

S sounds so cute!! When J isn't with me and I speak to him on the phone, he says 'How are you doing Mum?' and then often 'How's your house doing?' and then 'How are my toys doing?'.  It sound so grown up - and always makes me laugh (probably because it reminds me of Joey from Friends and his 'How you doin?)

and exactly - re kids and dummies etc.  i think that with my friend and her 4.5 year old who has never slept through the night AND still has about 2 bottles of milk (which he drinks in bed) every night.  i think she has been unlucky because he is a very clingy child, but she is also pretty rubbish at putting her foot down.  but you can't really blame the child for it.  he is acting on instinct and his feelings.  it is up to the parent to take charge and do something about it. 

i often think about the situation we got into with J and his biting.  that was our fault too.  it was a combination of him not getting 'disciplined' early enough for biting (our fault) and him being a very frustrated toddler (his nature).  the first two or three occasions when he bit me when he was about 9 months old, i should have taken more seriously.  rather than shriek (which made him laugh), i should have plonked him unceremoniously on the ground and walked away.  by the time i realised we had a biting problem, he had learned biting as a behaviour he did.  and then he hit 18 months and started to become even more frustrated by his inability to do things, and biting became his weapon of choice.  we couldn't control the frustration; that was just the child he was.  but we really could have helped avoid the biting thing if we had done something earlier.

so i am pretty convinced that, in most of the horror situations you see where kids are running amok or are having inappropriate behaviours indulged or encouraged, because the parents don't know how to stop it, it is a result of a child with a particular need or personality type and a parent that doesn't know how to manage it properly (often through absolutely no fault of their own!).

that is why being a parent is the hardest thing we will ever do!!! because it is so easy to mess it up, even when you are trying your darndest to do the right thing all the time.

• Options

gosh that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? image

i am supposed to be writing a service desk proposal this afternoon but somehow i don't seem to be  making any progress!!

• Options

I was talking to a mum a while ago at playgroup whose son is prob nearly 2 now - and he was still waking up every night, and mum was giving him calpol every night!!!  I don't know her well enough to tell her what I really thought of that, but it just amazed me that she seemed to think that he needed calpol to sleep (since when does paracetamol help you sleep anyway?) whereas to me it seemed obvious that he knew that when he cried he would get his mummy and something nice and sweet to drink.

Great news about Nicholas!!

Monthly mummy's dinner tonight, having takeaway at someone's house as son no 2 is only 5 wks old so she wouldn't be able to come if we went out.  Working all wk end, yawn, so come and say hi!

CM - hubby had the interview on wed and didn't get the job image

• Options

my god, caro - calpol every night can't be a good thing, can it?!

image to hubby's job, caro.  but then it sounds as though he may well be better off out of that company. even if he had got the job, how long before he was back in the frame for redundancy anyway.

i have just had a quick look at houses around here to buy, since T told me he would be buying me out.  for less than 200k i can get something that would do. it's not particularly nice but it is what i need. and that is more important than anything.  this isn't going to be my forever home anyway.  so i feel a bit better about that.  was quite surprised at how many houses there were under 200k actually.  the one i looked at particularly had 4 beds, plus upstairs study, family bathroom and downstairs shower room (more useful than en-suite because then i can shower downstairs in the mornings without waking the kids - hurrah!!!), dining room, sitting room and conservatory. none of the rooms are huge and neither is the garden, but that is ok.  it doesn't have a garage, but then i have never put my car in a garage in my life, so no loss there. as long as there is a shed for bikes / lawn mower and side access (and there is) that is all that matters. and it is on the estate where a lot of the kids that go to J's school will live, which is also a good thing.

• Options

An interesting rant all the same CM image.  That house sounds perfect for what you need right now.

Calpol every night?!  I know it seems like magic stuff sometimes but really...

• Options

Thats bad, calpol every night. It is great stuff but not for every day use thats for sure!! Also can't believe the buggies and dummy for school, amazing!

We had a tour of the school today and met the head teacher. Very pleased and happy to have out two go there. Satisfied all my questions about twins. I forgot to ask about their asthma meds though as the prospectus says they won't administer medicine. I find this slightly worrying as if a child is having an asthma attack they are unlikely to beable to administer their own salbutamol inhaler given they won't be breathing properly!!! Anyway a question for the open day or another time.

Usual mad friday of swimming lessons, supermarket etc. Then school tour and then boys had birthday party this afternoon. Nice to have hubbie home this afternoon though. Sophie loves having him around thats for sure image...

Fab news for N JG. I am so pleased for you. Can you relax a bit now, or is there more hospital visits very soon?

CM, as the others have said, house sounds great. I do think its time to shake free of him as much as you can. My parents split when I was 6 and I dont recall them having to do too much interaction at house doors. Maintenance issues and courts were tough for Mum though, my Dad fought all the way and gave the minimum sadly! Boys and I haven't seen him for a good six months now, and he's never met Sophie. So sad really given he is retired and can do what he wants.

Have fun at your meal Caro and you too JG tomorrow.

Right time for some wine and feet up...

• Options

JT - unfortunately i'm not talking about those houses as they are FAR too expensive.  it's the ones on the other side of the road towards the river!

i have just been for a run.  in the hills. and i didn't walk a single step!!!!! well, technically, i probably wasn't actually running on the huge pull up through the estate back to the house as it is sooooooooo steep and my calf muscles were screaming and i don't think both feet were in the air at the same time. but i was moving too oddly for it to be called walking, so i will call it running!

woooohoooooo!!!!!!! that's 3 runs in a row where i haven't walked!!!!

• Options
    JoggerGirl, fantastic news about N. Hopefully you can stop worrying quite so much about him now. S sounds like such a poppet image

CM, great running today.

MM good news on the school. When will the boys start?
  • Options

Sorry not read back (apart from a bit this page- Fab news about N, good r*nning CM!!)

Just wanted to brag, oops I meant say that I had the pleasure of meeting Barry the Baton today (well not really a pleasure as 4hrs round trip with Archie wheezing & Tom crying because a) he fell in the sea or b) he felt car sick). 

Off for a bath and bed now.... early night ??? 

• Options

Who on earth is Babbry the Baton?

Had a HUGE takeaway curry last night, really fun.  Only 4 of us but nice to catch up all the same.  Off to work soon.  Planning 10 miles in the morning before work,  -  at the moment it's 6C!  Hope it's a bit warmer tomorrow! 

• Options

Caro- I'm shocked !!!!!!! Barry is the baton which RW members have lovingly carried around the coast of Britain in a relay. He started in Blackpool in May, went up around Scotland, down and across England and is jogging towards Aberystwyth as we speak. If you go on the general forum there is a coasters thread, otherwise there is a coasters website- just google coasters run.

I love takeaways- I have a BBQ later or would have suggested it here. I hope its warmer tomorrow too -I have a triathlon and don't fancy 26k on a bike in a wet cossie if it's nippy. 

• Options
    Oh dear, consider myself well and truely told (ok girls, help me out, who else had never heard of aforementioned baton?)
  • Options

Had heard of the run but um, no not Barry the Baton! Well done for takingpart and good luck tomorrow.

Good luck to all the racers - CC, MM, Karen, Sonya (have I forgotten anyone?) Looking forward to the reports tomorrow.

Got a cold boo hoo. Not feeling poorly but have a bit of a cough and a lovely husky voice!! Have run everyday since last thurday so 9 days in a row which is new territory for me so a rest day today and I'm off to town to stock up on the echinacea! Its Emily's birthday, she's 7 today. Girlly sleepover tonight - joy. Tomorrow the older two have a swimming gala which will takeup most of the day. 

Hope eveyone has good weekends and that your weekend at work is ok Caro.

• Options

Lotte - enjoy your rest day, sounds like you deserve it after so much fab running.

Barry who?

JG - that's great news about N. I guess you'll never forget how poorly he was but at least you can relax a bit more now he's improved so much.

Good luck to all the racing peeps this weekend - JohBo, make sure you stick to that 10k distance!

Off to a pre-release screening of Despicable Me with all the kids tomorrow, I figure if Anna cries one of us can just pop out with her but I'm hoping she'll be okay as she loves watching TV. Right, last long run today before 10k race next week and hm the week after so should really stop dithering about and just get out there ...

• Options

i hadn't heard of it either, caro, but well done camlo image

i can report more running! 7.15miles and 823ft of ascent. but i ran every bl00dy step of it and i am chuffed to bits.  image i have no idea how slowly as i didn't take garmin but i don't care! loved it.  at one point i climbed150ft in about 0.3 miles and in the last bit home gained 175ft in about 0.4m.  it's hilly round here.image but at least i ran it rather than walking.

so 5.85 last night and 7 just now.  12 in the morning if my legs permit. they hurt now!!

time for some lunch.  went to cribbs this morning and spent the voucher i got for my bday on a new food processor.  so i can make soup. yippeeee!!!

• Options
    Camlo - looks like it was just me who had heard of Barry! Well done on your run, if I had been in UK at the moment I would have loved to have been part of it. Maybe I'll have to arrange "Coasters USA"!!!
    I'm going to take Max to a class at my gym this morning. We will run there and back with the BJ too - just hope he either sleeps or stays quiet long enough for me to get a decent workout.
    Good luck all of you running this weekend and CM - hope you find a good distraction this weekend without the kids and your husband stops being such a knob and gives you a firm time for tomorrow (and sticks to it!!!).
  • Options
    Cross post CM - some brilliant running going on. I guess your back is fully better?
  • Options
    TT - back not fully better but then i have stopped doing my exercises now i can run image
  • Options

meant to say - JohBo hope you enjoy tomorrow

oh and nothing from T on when we can meet tomorrow. text yday asking what ideas i had; i replied; he responded saying 'don't know if they are open on sunday'; to which i replied i had checked and they were. then nothing. so still none the wiser

called this morning and phone went to voicemail (1571). mailbox full.  so that'll be loads of answerphone messages he hasnt' listened to. and every time i go round there, the phone says 7 missed calls - and he hasn't checked the numbers because if you check them, they clear.  so he doesn't know who has called or what they want.  just hope none of them are for me...

• Options
    The council have just brought in an emaciated staffordshire bull terrier - In my 10 yrs as a vet I have never seen anything like it - it's like those pictures you see in magazines of starved donkeys in the 3rd world.  It has pressure sores on its hip bones as they are protruding so much.  It weighs 7.7kg, and should weigh at least twice that.  I am not a fan of staffies, and normally I'm hard as nails and never really feel sorry for anything or have the slightest inclination to take any animals home - which is necessary in this job otherwise we'd all live in menageries - but it is so sweet, and still manages a tail wag despite the appaling way it has been treated by humans.
  • Options
    Caro - that is terrible, what will happen to the dog? I assume the owners will be prosecuted.
    CM - just another example of T not facing up to things. How on earth he thinks he can claim you as unfit to look after the kids when it is pretty obvious you are the primary caregiver, I can't imagine. Hope you can get him to make a commitment soon about tomorrow. It was an interesting point you made about his Mum travelling so far to see him every weekend he has the kids - I expect you are right with your guess as to why she does it.
  • Options

Never heard of Barry...!

Horrible, Caro, awful how some people can treat animals image

Had a lovely lunch with an old friend, although we were late meeting her due to a horrific baby poo incident - how can one small baby's poo cover so much?!  My clothes, his clothes, the rug...image

• Options

Glad I'm not the only ignoramus out here image  (sorry Camlo......)

Don't think it is known who owned the dog - found in a park apparantly, and no ID chip of course.

• Options

caro - that is awful.  poor dog. so will you be rehoming it then image

just been for a walk in the woods up above the estate. it is lovely up there - there is an old iron age fort, not that much remains.  eternally puzzled by the disappearance of the bridleway on the map tho.  suspect it is a case of it being blocked off because it goes thru a farm (which isn't a working farm any longer) at the top of the hill. i may have to do some digging around and find out because if it has been blocked off, that just ain't right. soapbox time again!!