Options

Mums Running Club

Comments

• Options
    Oops I read that as a Doggy seesaw !!!!! Also can't do it here and def not preg nor have been for nearly 2 yrs. 
  • Options

I could still do the plank at 38 weeks pregnant image. Admittedly I couldn't hold it for very long at all, but teacher said my position was perfect!!

Good news on hubbie Anjelicals. I do hope its all OK. Am racing Cirencester 10k. Its not a PB course by any means and I'm not going to run a PB anyway. Not really sure what time to aim for tbh??!!

I don't know what w****ing is. Can someone explain to me image!!

Pants to the rubbish pharmacies. I hate it when that happens, such a waste of time. Hope they've got it in today JG and you don't run out.

Good to hear from you PP. I still have very wobbley tummy and its not going away soon I fear. Time will tell I guess...

Double pants to the school situation JT. My two are going to village school. Going to look around on friday and chat to head just to be sure. Then will fill in the form over the weekend. We're guaranteed to get in anyway, so I'm not too stressed. My only quibble is that they have removed the kitchen to build another classroom, so there is no cooked lunches anymore, which is a real shame I think, but I guess they needed more space.

• Options

walking, MM

thanks for your reassurances re running but i have been back out there again for 3 weeks and it is getting no easier.  i find myself totally pooped after about 2 miles and i am running slowly (haven't tried to go back out at the same pace i was doing 9 weeks ago). very frustrating.

i think it's always a dilemma with the school. you are trying to second-guess all the time.  it worked out briliantly for us, but it could have been a very different situation.

there are worse things than no hot dinners, i guess.  and the thing to remember is that until S goes to school, if the boys are anything like my J (who will only entertain hot food once a day - 'not COOKED again mummy'), you would end up having to cook a meal just for S as they would not want a hot meal in the evening.  and the problem I have is that the best time to give E a cooked meal is the evening because she goes to so many toddler groups and scoffs biscuits in the morning, so rarely eats a good lunch.  but i can't give her a cooked meal and J a light meal in the evening, because she wants what he has! so it is probably easier if there are no cooked meals as you just give them all the same at teatime.

• Options
    MM, you need to aim for a post pregnancy PB, a PPPB! That's what I'm calling my half marathon effort anyway image

JG, glad that N is ok after your scare at the weekend and how appalling of your pharmacy!

Anj, hope your hubby is ok.

CM, good luck with the mediation, of course you shouldn't be paying half the mortgage!

Some scary toddler stories, especially EF, that would make me cry and lose it too. Saw a mum yesterday carrying her kicking toddler down the street under one arm because he ran in the road, so stressful. Lol to the dog lead!! Brilliant idea!

I also did the plank when pregnant, only because my gym trainer made me, my tummy used to go a very weird shape! But I could hold it for 30s, pretty sure I can't do that now....

Thanks for all tips on giving water/juice. I will avoid diluted juice for a few more months then. I've been offering her water (not boiled but from my water filter though!) from her doidy cup after her lunch puree, she tries to suck it like a bottle but some goes in, she doesn't seem to like her tommee tipee sippy cup at all though.
    I like your meal plan Karen! That's kind of what I want to get Maggie on (except 7am not 6!), she is having two purees a day now, still offering BF before/after each. Now offering a bottle mid morning so first breast feed being dropped already. I guess I should start getting her off the bottle soon too! too much to think about! Paranoid first time mummy that I am, all the books scare me, them getting addicted to bottles/dummys/sippy cups etc.

MM, have asked before but how do you know S is teething? Maggie sometimes has completely grumpy days but I just assume that will happen now and then! She was very red in the face on Sunday, hubby thought it was an allergy to broccoli!

PP, I think it was you who gave baby swimsuit link? Thanks, we already have one but she still gets cold, on Mondays lesson I took her out the pool early because she was visibly shaking and her arms were purple! I've ordered another wetsuit which has covered shoulders too in the hope that'll keep her warmer.

Managed 13 mile run on Sunday so at least I can do the distance! Took 2h 15 so not exactly speedy. (I would like to blame the lack of sleep Maggie gave me, she likes to sleep on her tummy now but was snotty on Sat night so kept waking up crying to be turned over).

Anyway, got the dreaded gym booked for 1.30 so might get a couple of intervals done before the staff come and get me to sort out my screaming baby!
  • Options
    SonyaB - re: chilly babies.  make sure you get a good thick wetsuit. the ones in mothercare etc are too flimsy and do nothing.  the splashabout ones are the ones they recommend for babies at waterbabies.  but if the pool is really freezing, even they probably won't work.  E has always struggled in municipal pools until recently (and she is now nearly 19 months) even with a shortie wetsuit on.  she doesn't stop wanging / jumping / flapping / kicking etc now, which i think keeps her warm.  but i think her lack of body fat didn't help. she is still a skinny minny.
  • Options

oh and re: sippy cups / bottles etc. yes i know - i was like that with J. but don't worry - they do just get there eventually.  i battled like mad to get J off the bottle at 12 months and it was a disaster. he was so miserable, and at that point really wasn't drinking anything other than milk out of a bottle, even though i had offered him water from a cup from 5 months.  he stopped bottles of his own accord at 20 months (was just having a bottle in the evening by then).  then some time between 2 and 3 he started drinking from an open cup (although he still does happily drink out of a sports bottle etc).

E on the other hand dissed all bottles at 13 months and is trying frantically to get the lid off her sippy cups now because she prefers sipping from an open cup.  but there is NO way i am letting her do that.  she got hold of J's cup of milk the other night, and walked across to the TV with it, tipping milk all over the carpet on the way. 

mostly babies / toddlers surprise you by doing all the things you want them to do in their own time - as long as you encourage them to do it. i saw a mum give her 3 year old a bottle of milk at 10.30am in a dance class the other morning because the child was upset.  the child was lying on the mum's lap with the teat in her mouth but not really drinking it.  that is precisely the scenario that dentists want you to avoid - the milk is just swilling around in contact with the teeth and the child isn't even drinking it... a bottle of milk given to a toddler before bed time which is drunk in a few minutes and then the teeth are brushed is a different matter.

• Options
    JG, hope you now have N's meds.

EF, I would lose it as well, it only takes a split second for something awful to happen, but fortunately it didn't.

CM, you're coming back from injury in a new, hilly area. Don't be too hard on yourself, it will get easier and you will be stronger for having gone through this tough stage.

Sonya, wow! 13 miles is great! I couldn't do that at the moment, sadly.

LOL re: planks while pregnant. I was doing them too with my pregnancy pilates DVD.

Just entered a "run Earsaw" 10k for a week on Sunday-definitely an opportunity for a PPPB!!!
  • Options
    *Warsaw!!! Love the spell check on the iPod image
  • Options

JohBo - lol re Earsaw.

wish i had the excuse of hills for yesterday but i didn't. i think my head is in the wrong place now with running. image

• Options
    ahhh - AF has arrived.  THAT could be why yday was so grim. and why i wanted to cry in frustration when i got home!!!
  • Options

CC - we were potentially facing the same problem here with J and E.  got J into an excellent school completely out of catchment (9 miles from home). no reason why he got in other than that i applied and they had a space, obviously.  but 3 years down the line, we would have been applying to get J into the juniors and E into the infants, and there was a real risk that neither would get in, or even worse E would get into infants and J wouldn't get into juniors.  as it is now, i am renting in the catchment area and aim to buy here when the family home division is sorted one way or another. so HOPEFULLY we won't have that problem...

your life always sounds so busy, unscripted and great fun!

• Options

Just skim read as well, should be doing useful stuff whilst M is snoozing. 

Sonya carrying a wailing, kicking toddler under one arm is a regular occurence here - she knows if we're walking on the rd then it's hand holding or dog lead type thing, and if I don't have the pushchair and she's not behaving then under the arm is often the only way!  She has run into the rd twice, and been severely yelled at.

Running question:  I did a really good track session yesterday.  I ran to the track (1.2miles) then did 8 laps (slightly over 2 miles) fast, 1st mile was 6.25, second 6.12, then did 4 laps jogging, then 4 more fast at 6.25, before jogging home, so nearly 7 miles in total.   My 10 k is a week on Sun and I'm aiming for 6.45 pace to get me in under 42 mins.  Should I still do my normal 10 mile run on Sunday (1 wk before) and also a repeat of that track session on Mon or Tues next wk?  Or is that too close to the race?  Obviously I know you don't need to taper for a 10k, but I don't want to overdo it.

Right, time to do stuff.

• Options

Oh all that school catchment area stuff makes me so thankful we don't have that hassle up here. JT - I hope you get Ted in where you want.

Thanks to MM and RB for the advice a couple of pages back. Caro I'm sure our resident coaches will be along soon to answer your question! Great running btw.

CC - thanks, you are right really, getting in the mileage is an achievement for me! I can't imagine having witnesses to the chaos that is getting the kids out to school on time. Makes me shudder just to think about it! The jog scotland session for kids sounds really interesting and fun. What kind of things did you do with them. Our lot got to the local athletics club but they can only start at age 7.

Ditto the wow to the plank while pregnant! I do one minute planks front and side after my runs/stretching as often as I can. Like CC I had terrible muscle separation when I was pregnant. It is only in the last few months at pilates that the instructor has let me do the rolling back exercises. I still have a gap above and below my belly button but I think its as good as its gonna get!

Lots of races coming up then. Good stuff!

TB - meant to say well done on all the early runs and glad work is going well. Hope JP has a great birthday.

12 miles for me this morning. Then I was looking after my nephews for a few hours so took them and the twins to toddlers. Twins are having a nap now before the after school chaos begins. Had a mad day yesterday. Work and lots of after school running about and then we got visitors after tea (not what we needed but still, had been up at 5am so I could get a run in before picking Sophie up from the ferry at 7.30am. She had a brilliant time on her trip away. No medals but lots of PBS and most of all lots of fun. Think she was glad to be home though! I was certainly glad to get her home, very strange when one of the family is missing.

Well our lovely sunny day has turned into rain and wind just when my washing machine had finished. Although at least I will be forced to get on with something useful now instead of going out to play!!

• Options

lotte - am in awe as always at what you manage to achieve!

lol at the toddler under the arm thing.  J was always SOOOOO good when we were out, even as a young toddler.  never ran off; ALWAYS held my hand.  i trust him totally.  if i ask him to stand beside the car while i get E out, he does.  E, on the other hand, is a total minx.  will NOT hold my hand.  occasionally holds J's but only for about 2 seconds.  she then wrenches her hand out of his and runs off; he then runs after her, trying to grab her hand again, which she thinks is licence for a game of chase and sprints off.  he then usually runs into her, knocking her down flat and she lands on her forehead or something.  but she will be the one running into the road when she is older.  not J. 

he NEVER tried to run out of our front gate at home either.  and never went anywhere near the reen (drainage ditch full of water) at the back of the garden.  E had only been walking for about 2 weeks when she opened the front gate and toddled off down the lane.  as for water - can't have her ANYWHERE near it, or she is straight in it. it is a nightmare if we go to feed ducks, as she just wants to get in the pond!!

they are soooooo different.

• Options

CM - Lewis and Cameron are soooo different too. Lewis is such a wee poppet. He always stands next to you at the car and waits. Always holds your hand on walks and rarely wrecks anything. Cameron on the other hand is bolshy about everything - he never wants to hold your hand and I can never trust that he wont run off and he is so destructive with things in the house. He climbs out of his cot, opens the front door and goes out... Saying that it is good that they are such little individuals with both looks and character.And there have been plenty of times when I have had a screaming toddler under EACH arm!

Mind you  can't decide what to do with their hair and its really silly.  Cameron has lovely thick long blond hair and it lies really nicely sort of a little bob with fringe!  Lewis on the other hand has thinner hair and it is quite wispy down the back and shorter on top, more mullet like! Lewis could do with his being cut shorter I think but for some reason I can't get my head around cutting ones hair short and having the others long! Like I said very silly and there is no way I am cutting Camerons!

Reece still find the swimming pool terribly cold and like your E CM he is a real skinny minny. By the end of his lesson he is the only blue child in the class! The pools here are cold because they are used for proper swimming training and not just leisure. 

Right this is not doing anything useful is it!

• Options
    Because I'm a scummy (lazy) mummy, I'm doing baby-led weaning. Has anyone had any experience of this? So far it's going ok, but J gets frustrated quickly and I end up holding food for him, while he directs it to his mouth!!
  • Options

JohBo - that's not lazy! that's the hard way.  no experience of BLW, i'm afraid.  but the aim of the exercise is to get him eating, and if he is eating (even if you are helping him at the moment), that has to be fine, surely?

i didn't bother with BLW because i am a bit of a control freak and liked to know how much they had eaten! but actually, neither of my kids was keen on being fed more than they wanted anyway. so i never had the feeling i was overfeeding them...

• Options

Thanks everyone, the pharmacist has been lovely to be fair and has kept me updated and has just rung to say that they have 2 bottles of the medicine and it is ready to pick up image.  I'll see what the consultant says on Friday about his medication but if he's still going to be getting through it so fast I think I will keep one bottle ahead from now on.

CM - interesting how different they are, E sounds more like Sophie so I'm hoping Nicholas is more like J!  Had to laugh at image of J landing on E's forehead as she scampers away image. Thanks for your message by the way.

Roslyn - thanks for your message too (I feel very popular image), will reply soon!

Sophie was child from hell last night after a half hour nap at the childminder ("no!" to pretty much everything), poor hubby bore the brunt as I was feeding N.  She did eventually cheer up and go to bed...  Now she's been bouncing around her room for an hour and a half so may not sleep today either!

Lovely sunny day here today and I've bought myself a new top so am feeling quite upbeat image.  Still tired but somehow just keep going!  I'm waiting for the HV to weigh N and Tesco delivery between 3 and 5pm, jam-packed afternoon image.  Will be v happy if N has continued to gain an ounce a day...

• Options
    10lbs 11oz - more than an ounce a day and past his birthweight for the first time! imageimageimage
  • Options
    That's excellent news JG. Glad to hear it's going well.
  • Options
    woo hoo well done JG and Nicholas!
  • Options
    Brilliant news JG!

Joh - I did BLW with Aidan - started just before 6 months but he had pretty good hand eye co-ordination so I didn't really have to do much apart from put food in front of him. Have been far more relaxed about what he has had too - just given him whatever I've had whilst trying to keep an eye on the salt levels.
    I borrowed the Gill Rapley book off a friend too but generally its just common sense - or seemed like that to me. There are some pointers on her website if you google it.
    Think the main point is to not worry if they can't get it there at first, just let them keep trying as they will get to grips with it when the have the skills.
  • Options
    Great news JG!

Thanks CM and Kinsey. His co-ordination is pretty good if the piece of food is the right size and shape, but my worry really is over the "not choking but worrying just the same" noises and actions!!! I know he has to learn but it's scary and I wonder if it's the same with purees-probably not.?

Just had a lovely pilates class but no hubby so no run. Physio tomorrow so must try and get out before that image
  • Options

JG - woohoooo!!! well done you!

and yes, JohBo, you do get some odd choking / retching noises with purees too when there are lumps.

just RUN over 6 miles. no idea of time as left garmin at home. but i RAN the whole lot.  no w***ing today!

• Options

LOL, I had a nearly 4 yr old under one arm with S under the other and J hanging onto my elbow coming out of Clarks on friday after Harry's total melt down about  his 'rubbish' trainers. Luckily Harry still only weighs just over 2.5 stone otherwise I'm not sure how I'd have done it!!

Caro I wouldn't do a mile reps track session tonight. Shorter sharper reps and less of them next week, and if you want to run a PB on Sunday then you do need to ease off the miles a little. I am planning on running less this week for sure. My legs are killing me after my club run on thursday, just not used to running at 6:50 pace for 5 miles!! Also hoping for 6:45s ish on sunday but anything under 45 minutes will be fine really image. Its a hilly course so not expecting any miracles. I went with PPPBs after the boys, so should it be Post-Post-Pregnancy PBs and can I wipe the slate clean as my current PPPB is 38:57, and my Pre-any pregnancy PB is 37:10!!

Logistics of emptying boobs will be interesting though. Going to have to take breast pump and express in the car just before the race I think!!! image

I have club rep session tonight, but am still feeling tired after thursday and 12 on Sat and 8 on Sunday. Did 4 very easy last night and had a massage, but a day with kids today, music group, picnic with friends at Westonbirt Arboretum and then neighbours when we got back has left me pretty drained. Boys VERY tired too. Weather gorgeous though, so lovely to be outside all day.

Glad you got pills JG and pharmacist was nice.

I did a mix of BLW and purees which worked quite well, I just gave them chunks of things while I was shoving purees in. I'm going to do the same with S, but will be much more chilled out about it for sure.

Right best sort out washing and S sounds upset, so best get on...

• Options

JG - that's brilliant news, even with him being unwell over the weekend too.

EF - your story of your little one running out into the road made my blood run cold - so glad the road was clear.  I guess we will all have at least one of these heart stopping moments at some point.

PP - I couldn't believe your post about Abi falling off your bed - bearing in mind her due date was 1 day before Max, he fell of my bed one day after Abi did!  I was just through in the bathroom finishing off getting dressed and heard the bump then a great scream.  He calmed down pretty quickly and didn't seem to be hurt anywhere.  I think like you said, it was just the shock.  Now I'm really glad I didn't make a big deal of it when he fell off the sofa when Mr TT was looking after him.

Just got back from taking Max to the local library where they did story time/nursery rhymes with the babies.  Was quite good and met a few other Mums, it is every 2 weeks so hope to make it next time too.  Also registered him for his first library card and was given a free book.  There is another scheme here (something to do with Dolly Parton!) where if you register your child they get sent a free book every month until they reach 5 years old.

CM - hope your mediation goes well tomorrow - no one could claim that your request is at all unreasonable so hopefully he will take it OK so you can move on financially now too.  I'm sure you have some really tough moments at the moment without the kids but you seem to be coping really well with everything.  As someone else said, it was definitely very big of you to get the whole family together on your husband's birthday - hope he noted it!

Some great running going on.  I'm out with the club tonight, missed Saturday morning and so haven't been out since Thursday so will feel it.  Good luck to all of you racing at the weekend.