Options

My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Options

How are you getting on Sazzler ?....

Terrie - just how hilly is Haltemprice gonna be ?? Kinda got me worried image

MK - you turn up and run sub 60 straight away ! Good running kidda.

Adbru - that doesn't mean you're leaving us does it ? There are some other super-fit runners doing sub 50 10k's that are still around reminding us just how fast they're running, so hang around and inspire the rest of us image

DP - how's the knee ? 

• Options

Hi Tyler,

I'm not leaving, the banter here is too good !

My goal now is sub 55 for a 10k, got a "fun" 5k forest run in 2 weeks image

My training plan is for a half-mar, got to set new goals.....

Mrs Adbru is now running also, got her through a 1.5mile run today....furthest in 25 years for her - i am dead proud of her image

Keep going peeps, the hard bit is in the winter when its hissing down but you still feel great afterwards...

Adbru

• Options
    I was going to ask about winter as it's going to need some real motivation to get up in the freezing cold and get my running shoes on.  Anyone have any tips?
  • Options

Hi Tyler

You shouldnt worry about Haltemprice i consider anything not flat to be hilly!!!!!!  I dont like hills, havent done hills, so thats why i am worried.

I think there is a couple of long hard slogs on course, but back home is all down hill!!!  I was advised not to make it my first 10K cos its one of the hardest in this area and considering there is Beverley and Walkington i find that hard to believe.  But i think with the Haltemprice the hills are long and drawn out rather than steep, if you get what i mean.

I will prob give it a try before the race to see how i get on.  so will let you know then, but not this weekend as i am going to Dublin for a girls weekend!!!!!  yipee  sorry i may have mentioned that before but i cant wait!!!!  image

What sort of time are you looking at????

Hi Mark, I dont know about the winter, last year i just put on my shoes and went out in the dark, along some pretty scarey unlit roads.  So my tip is keep your head down and just do it whatever the weather and u will feel great when u have finished.  

Hi to everyone hope the training is going well.

• Options

Running in Winter:

Warms you up.

Gets you out in the fresh air.

Is not watching TV all day.

Keeps you alert for the rest of the day (I feel groggy without at least an hour of exercise/weights a day).

Keeps any Christmas excesses at bay.

Makes Christmas dinner taste better (it's deserved).

I'd get some Goretex trail shoes if you can - mine keep out all but the worst downpours. 

• Options

hi Matt

U sound far to professional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  image

• Options

Terrie - Been running about 3-4 months, 2 10Ks run so far.

About as professional as a 14 year old ASBO holder working at a City law firm!!

• Options
     Very funny Matt,  well you sound good and given your times well.............................  image
  • Options

I thought the times were okay until I spoke to a mate and proper runner at the weekend.
    His best 10k (albeit nearly flat and road) was 34 minutes!!!

I think that may only be achievable by extreme cheating.

Maybe rocket powered running shoes? Or helium filled bones? Or the consumption of some kind of extreme super fuel? 

• Options

Hi Matt

You forget what this blog is all about.  We are only aiming for 60mins so we dont want to hear abt the super runners who can do it in just over half that time please......image

As for the other suggestions - where do you buy those things??????  I googled 'rocket shoes on line' but didnt come up wiv much!!image

I tried gas and air when i gave birth and can recommend that for extreme pain, it made me laugh loads so perhaps i will give that a go for my next race???

• Options

Terrie - Oops. Kind of got into this thread and I do often forget it's purpose.

Trouble is, I'm a beginner and not "proper" enough to join the HRM, calorie counting, hard training real runners yet! 

Rocket shoes being tested in my garage - most of it now destroyed.

Might try the gas and air in November when wife has our first little 'un! 

• Options

Hi Matt

I am a beginner too. But do have HRM which i live by when exercising - sad i know......

Deff try the gas and air its brill...........................  wish i had some here right now wld make work less painful!!!!  oops yes work!!!   catch u later 

• Options

Managed 7 miles around the park tonight in 1:15:33 so that is my 10k distance achieved (I think 7 miles is about 11.2k) which would give me a 10k time of about 67 minutes (hmmm)

The bad news is that my left knee was really painful from about 3 miles in. on the last 1.5 miles I had to walk a couple of times to ease it. It's weird, as soon as I start walking the pain disappears in seconds, but comes back again as soon as i start running again.

It's really frustrating. Just as I am beginning to feel like a runner, I feel like I won't be able to go on because of the pain. image

Not happy

• Options

Hi Everyone

Felt like Winter today! Definate nip in the air. Knee is going on OK - still a bit stiff in the mornings, but OK to run in the evenings - spooky!

Did my second 5k in two days tonight - certainly knew I wasn't fesh, but beat yesterdays time - so that's OK.

Sorry to hear about your knee Colin - I do hope it is better soon.

I like the idea of rocket shoes - can you get them on eBay? image)

I only started running in April, so haven't been through a Winter yet. I'm actually quite looking forward to it - am I mad? I like the cold - but I guess my muscles won't! I think I need to invest in long sleeved tops and something wind proof. Might try the shops at the weekend (any excuse!).

10k race is a week on Sunday, so I need to put some practice in before it's too late! 

• Options

I find the cooler air acts like a human turbocharger!

Ran about 7k of trail yesterday and hardly got puffed.

Annoyingly got 30m03s -I WILL break 30m next time!

Colin - Annoying about the knee but really do look after it or you'll suffer permanently. 

• Options

>Colin - Annoying about the knee but really do look after it or you'll suffer permanently

Not sure what to do about it. There's all sorts of advice from rest it, ice it, exercise it, change your gait, buy different shoes, get insoles, wear a support... I'm not sure what to do.

Think I might try running faster but shorter distance on friday to see if that helps/doesn't hurt. I'll have to see how I go though, as at the moment I can't get down the stairs without real pain on my left knee.

• Options

Colin - I'd see a sports physio. Could be your shoes, could be your gait, could be something else. Are you running of soft surfaces? This might help but I'd get it looked at as something isn't right.

I hurt my knee in a kickboxing comp and it gave me hassle for ages. Also had a dodgy shoulder since I was 16 that still gives me problems (lots of physio has helped but not 100% sorted and probably never will be) mostly because I ignored it for years.

• Options
    image mmmm...must be really annoying to run 7km trail in 30m03s...
  • Options

Tyler - I'm guessing a bit.

It's what I reckon is about 2km added to my 5km route - So I could be well out! 

• Options

Sorry guys iv been away for ages! Just been so busy trying to get uni stuff sorted.. which unfortunately means iv not ran in well..too long!

but im off most of next week so ill be getting out then, not looking forward to the first run, always a nightmare when uv been slacking! image

anyhoo it'll be fun to run and see my breath infront of me cos of the cold, i remember it last winter and i quite enjoyed it! ill check in again soon when my life calms down!

hoping everyone is well, i see your all doing really great, keep up the hard work!

• Options

Hi All

Good to hear from you Saz - hope you have got setttled into Uni OK - it's a busy time! Have you a running club? Now that would be fun!

Just done 7.5k (what seemed like all) uphill Sunday afternoon plod - just an hour to complete (well, 1 hour and 13 seconds - but I'm not proud!). Well chuffed! That's 11 minutes quicker than I did that same route back in July - so I am getting better!

Matt - well done on your times - you'll be heading towards 2012 at this rate! I'm with you Tyler - those sorts of times just don't compute in my tiny brain. The head is willing...

Heading toward my next 10k on Sunday, so have planned a plod on Wednesday and then probably rest. My goal is to improve on the 1hr 16mins from a month ago.

I haven't got anything else planned, but I'm thinking I need to enter something early next year to keep me going through the cold, dark, wet winter.

Any ideas for a good event Jan/Feb time anyone? 

• Options

Colin,  definitely go to a sports physio with your knee.  I had a calf injury and tried to self manage it for a month and ended up making it worse and finally had to go to a sports physio in the end anyway.  Improvement has been so much quicker since I did that I wish I'd done it in the first place!

I have been doing strengthening exercises and this week I can move on to 4min walk/1min run for 10 min - sounds excrutiating but I'm really excited as this marks my return to running after about 2 mo off!

Well done on everyones continually improving times - you are all doing so brilliantly, I am envious.  Good luck with the 10k DP!

• Options

Managed to complete my first 10k last night, it was the longest I have run in 15 years! Since I was 13 years old! Managed 68.36mins. 

Well chuffed and still had a bit left in me.  Am doing the Herts 10k in two weeks so I'm hoping I will be able to post under 60 mins on the morning of Monday 15th October! 

Anyone else on here running in Hertfordshire, and doing this 10K??

Well done everyone else for their performances, whilst I don't post much I do take inspiration from seeing the improvement in everybody!

Oh and just had my Golden Bond place confirmed for the marathon, so no going back now!

www.justgiving.com/mariecuriemarathon

A little plug if there happens to be any multimillionaires on here with a large wad burning a hole in their pocket! 

• Options

Well Done Matt image

Onwards and upwards....

BTW there was talk on here recently about "wicking" garments for running, i was in my local JJB at the weekend and they have Lotto gear on half price.

I got a long sleeve top for 9.99, word of warning.......i know they are supposed to be tight but i look like a drunken snake trying to take the thing off without ripping it !!

I would say get a size bigger than normal image

Adbru  (i got the 5k "Great porridge run" on Sunday ) 

• Options

Got a Ronhill vest for warmer days and a Finisterre base layer for colder ones - both very good bits of kit. And yes, I also look a bit "tight" in them too - Could be a bit camp in certain company....!

Nice one everyone - Did a stunning course at the weekend in South Devon - Not sure on distance but 35 mins of coastal loveliness plus a total killer of a hill! 

• Options

Hi All

Yasmin - thanks for your good wishes - I think I may need all I can get!

Matt W - excellent time - well done you! Now you have a realsitic goal of 60 mins for your next race! Fingers crossed for you.

Adbru/Matt - I don't have "winter" gear - I think I'm going to have to invest in a long sleeved something. I quite like the idea of "tight"! image) Have a lovely vision of you looking "camp" Matt! image) Well done on the South Devon run - it's nice to have good scenery to look at - although, of course, I get far more opportunity to look at it than you guys!

Training news - I re-did the 7.5k yesterday - took a whole 3 minutes off my weekend time - absolutely shattered though. Can you buy bigger lungs anywhere? image)

That me done for the week - I'm resting now until my race on Sunday. Weather looks like it may be on my side for once. 

• Options

I did a shortish run after a weights session - they early part includes about 200 steps uphill - my legs nearluy fell off!

Bit of "cross training" tonight - A lovely surf!

DP - Please remove that vision now - it may scare young children! 

• Options

Hey Peeps,

Getting colder up here now, frost on the cars again this morning !

Had a long run on wednesday (5.5 miles), I'm really getting surprised by the phsycological side of running.... your body can defo do more than your brain tells you !!

I previously did this 5.5mile circuit in 50mins, this week was REALLY hard - I was aiming for 9min/mile which would give me roughly 50 mins again. Got to my 4mile marker in 38mins, that meant 9.5min/mile - not happy so tried to salvage my time a bit.....ended up covering the last 1.5miles in 11 mins !! where the hell did that speed/energy/determination come from !!

I then met a workmate just after I finished and he was getting ready to give me CPR lol.

I've got my 5k trail race on Sunday so hoping to beat my 5k Pb, anyone still keeping track of them ??

Did an 8mile (very hilly!) run last Sunday, I hope the pain was worth it !!

I also look a bit "tight" in them too - Could be a bit camp in certain company....!

I look like I'm ready for the "Right Said Fred" reunion tour !! image

Keep with it guys, if you dont train at all during the winter then starting again in the spring will be hard.... 

• Options

Gone a bit quiet, hope you are all out training image

Had my 5k "fun" trail run today.... 24:30 image  (felt like poo halfway round though)

Mrs Adbru managed her 3k run, she was aiming for sub 30min and made 21:50 imageimageimage

(she has a wonderful personal trainer image  )

take care out there

Adbru

• Options

Excellent new Adbru - congrats to you and Mrs Adbru.  Well done both of you!

I am still out of action with my calf.  I have been going to the physio and doing strengthening exercises and had just started a 10min run/walk schedule on the treadmill but I think I overdid it.  That, combined with walking around London all day on Saturday means it is hurting again today.  Not as bad as it was originally but enough to remind me I need to take it easy. 

Looks like I'll be swimming for a while yet. <sigh>