Options

My training Blog - 10k in 60mins challenge!

Comments

• Options
    Hi All...another one guilty of not posting in here for ages, although I have been browsing through the thread from time to time.  Looks like there has been a summer of successes, well done everyone!You may remember that I posted in August to say I was having an op and would be out of action for a few weeks...well it turned out to be a considerably more major op than both the surgeon and myself had expected.  As a consequence I am still recovering and am not yet able to start running again or go to the gym.  What was expected to be a two week recovery is looking to be more along the lines of six months op recovery and much longer for the recovery of the full use of my left hand (the op was to release the brachial plexus nerve in my shoulder which was being strangled by fibrous bandings, however, the complications set in when it was found that the main artery to my left arm was also being strangled....explains why my hand was always so cold!).  So, instead of regular running and gym workouts I'm now doing weekly sessions of both physio and occupational therapy.  Every time I read this thread I feel a twinge of jealousy that I'm not out there running, but I will be back...I will be back!  I have spent a lot of time walking and have found some new routes that I will be able to run once the pain has subsided enough to tolerate running.  I will run again...I will run again....I WILL run again...!!  (I've even bought a winter running jacket in preparation...just hope I get to wear it this winter!)Keep on plodding!
  • Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Sazzler - F/24 - PB 76.16 - <60 Sept 07
    Albion - F/30- PB 61.11 - <60 Dec 07
    Runtyler - M/33 - PB 52.30 - <60 Aug 07
    aaa - F/34 PB?? - <60 Aug 07
    Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 83.0 <60 Sept 07
    Crazy Daisy F/35 - PB 61.08 <60 Sept 07
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    RAGA34 - F/34 <60 summer 07
    Steviej - M/50 PB 66 - <60 ??
    Beth - F/25 - PB ?? - <60 Aug 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    Moomintrude - F/35 - PB?? - <60 Sep 07
    Clare - F/33 - PB 63.49 - <60 Sep 07
    Alyson - F/32 - PB 48.25 - <60 Sep 07
    Grast_girl - F/27 - PB 29.19 (5k) - <60 Aug 08
    Mark Briggs 2 - M/31 - PB 1:00:02 - <60 Nov 07
    Adbru - M/41 - PB 57:50  <55 May08 
    Not built for speed - M 43 - PB 60.40  <60 Sept 08

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭
    Dp  - My race is in Bromham (wilts) - you get a xmas pudding after ! 02/12
  • Options
    Evening, welcome new and old.

Did 9k in 50 "treadmill" minutes today - not proper running granted, but still quite happy with the results. Thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner 50 (I think it's called ??), as I'm no good at logging distances when running outside - too lazy to drive around possible routes.

Any training going on out there ?
  • Options

Hi Tyler,

not sure what others think but personally I think treadmill work is a pretty good way of training.  I've done a couple of 10K races and have generally trained on the treadmill until the final couple of weeks and I don't find running on the road any more difficult.  As long as you have a small incline set on the treadmill there is very little difference. 

9K in 50 sounds like pretty good going to me.

• Options
    AlbionAlbion ✭✭✭

Tyler - treadmill is easier in one way and harder in another - the time is still the same tho' !

it is easier as you can set your speed, and go and just switch off, but its harder on the boredom front ! I started on a treadmill and still have on in my garage - I do tend to use it more in the winter as its very dark around here, being surrounded by fields, so at night I am very limited to where I can run and the same route does get boring. but I do count my training on the treadmill the same as training outsideimage

• Options

Hi All

Having postponed many a run this week due to the inclement conditions I'm seriously thinking about treadmills - either gym one's or personal. I asked Mr DP if he's buy me one so I didn't get wet and cold.. I won't write down his answer, but basically it was a "no"! image) And I thought he loved me..

I may quote you albion - if you have one in the garage, no reason I can't have one in the conservatory! Any recommendations on types/makers anyone? 

Did my first plod since last weekend at lunch today. 6k in 45 minutes - not bad for me and considering it was flipping freezing and drizzle was running down my neck. Hands got sooo cold - must get some gloves!

Next week the half marathon training program kicks in. Can't wait (not). Ho hum.

Keep safe 

• Options

Hi DP,

my half marathon training kicks in next week as well.  16 weeks training and then over to Cyprus to run a half marathon in slightly better weather than here.  How long does your training program run?  I ran off a 16 week programme from here which looks quite good - although it doesn't seem to take in to account Christmas - I'll enjoy the run scheduled for Christmas Day! 

Talking of treadmills I do most of my training on treadmills - yesterday I took to the roads and managed 5 miles in 50 minutes - a lot quicker than I have been managing on the treadmill and a fairly hilly course as well.  I'm convinced that in a lot of ways treadmill work is harder - certainly as good as being out on the road when the weather is like it is.

Would be interested to know how you're getting along with the training once you start - pretty daunting stuff!  I've got a 6 mile run nexy weekend!!

NBFS

• Options
    Have not looked on this thread for some weeks, so have only just read Matt's very sad news. I'm not sure if you are looking in at all Matt, but you and your wife are in my thoughts. I don't know if there is a branch of SANDS near you, but my daughter lost her first baby at 18 days old, and has found tremendous support from them. Their web-site is SANDS. I know you will always remember your precious son, but in time the loss will be less overwhelming.
  • Options

Came on to post that yeehah! I managed my sub 60 at Brighton 10k yesterday. It was really cold, and the last 3.5k into a headwind, so I'm really pleased. I was lucky enough to have two forumites encouraging me round - sure I wouldn't have done so well without them. Definitley a good tip, if you can find someone running the speed you are aiming for, and stick with them.

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 52.27 - <50 Sep 07?
    DianaD - F/53 PB 56.03 <55 Jan 08

• Options

Well Done DianaD image

(great feeling, isnt it image )

Adbru

• Options

Better update I suppose..."!

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    Matt Sutherland - M/32 - PB 44.07 - <40 Apr 08?

• Options

Hi all

Managed to get out a couple of times in the dark, i need some night running gear, i run on some dark country lanes and one evening last week i couldn't even see the road in front of me, i just hoped that there was no one a silly as me running in the opposite direction - CRASH!!! image Keep up the good work, train hard, it will be Christmas before we know it!

Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07

Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30

Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

sorry about the line spacing folks, i cant get seem to get rid of them, perhaps some IT whizz out there will do it for me!!!!  image

• Options

Hi Everyone - looks like we are all focussed on something good fo next year!

NBFS - My half plan is the 12 week sub-2.30 plan, slightly amended to duplicate weeks over Christmas (might be a bit pre-occupied!) and a week in January when we are going skiing. Looks achieveable, povoding my motivation to go out in the cold and dark does a U turn!

DianaD - hearty congratulations on your sub 60 - well done you!

Matt - good to have you back - I hope you are doing OK?

Terrie - as an IT consultant I guess it's down to me! (For future reference you need to press Shift+Enter to not get an extra space!)

Devonian Plodder - F/48 - PB 76.0 <60 May 08
    Shaz1973 - ?? <60 Oct 07
    Jasp 169 F/38 PB 62.30
    Terrie F/42 PB 56.30

• Options

Hi DP - We are getting better thanks. Funeral went well (as well as it could) on Saturday and he has a lovely spot near a running/walking route of ours.

Wife is physically recovering very quickly. Back on the horse and went for a surf yesterday too! I'm going to run with the horse tomorrow. 

• Options

Hi Matt

Really good to hear from you, and it's great that your wife is physically fit enough to start riding again. The spot sounds lovely - I have a vision of a beautiful piece of Cornish countryside where he can be peaceful. My thoughts are still with you both.

Running with the horse sounds like a bit of a challenge! I ran by a horse the other day - said hello - but he was a bit suspicious of me - might have been the pink top though!

Good luck with the run - let us know who wins! 

• Options

hi everyone,

im very new to this whole running thing and just scanned through this post and thought i would add a bit. im simon aged 32 and i started running about 4 months ago, as i was fat and unfit. lost a load of weight and much much fitter now.

at the beginning fo september i foolishly decided to enter a 10k run on the 11 november and set about training for it, really enjoyed the training as it gave me something to work towards for 9 weeks.

did my 10k run on nov 11 and was optimistically hoping to do it around 60 minutes, amazingly managed it in 54:01, couldnt believe i did it and now cant wait to do another ! now hoping to do the next one in as near to 50 minutes as i can get !!!

• Options

Mr SJ - Nice one!!

DP - Ran here in the end. I have run with the horse a few times. Quick on uphills and flat but slow downhill. It's a bit out of shape at the moment (wife only just started again and it's not had much exercise for a few months) but I can generally keep up or even stay ahead.

Just did my hilly 5k route. Very wet and slippery in the woods. 21m02s. Now sweaty! 

• Options

Hi All

Welcome Mr SJ - and congratulations on the great time!

Matt - still falling over those tree roots hey! How are you coping with the dark nights - do you still run trails or have you resorted to something more solid? Did a trail at the weekend whilst it was still light, but I mainly stick to the lanes now. I must admit though, it really jiggers up my calf muscle on the road - much easier over fields and through the woods.

Took the plunge and phoned a local Golf and Country Hotel that has a good gym - I think I'm going to take a months membership to get me through December. It will mean treadmills - but listening to others on this site, I don't think that's a bad thing. Running on a treadmill has got to be better than no running. I'm a whimp - too cold, too dark, too wet - any old excuse - and I'm starting to feel really guilty. The half marathon plan kicks in next week and I really want to do it. I think with the thought of the steam room and jaccuzi at the end, a good session in the gym will be a lot more motivating than the lanes!

Keep plodding! 

• Options

DP - Wife and I run our own business so can be a bit flexible with our time.

I was very careful not to fall over but it was tricky - chose a slightly less muddy route than usual. Still avoiding roads as much as possible.

These short days are very limiting though - annoying! 

• Options

Hi all old and new
    nice to see you back matt image

DP - I agree with you about making up any excuse about why you shouldnt go out when its cold,wet, dark etc so i think your idea of joining a gym to get you over December is a great one....the steam room and jaccuzi do sound temptingimage.  im a bit of a cheap skate as i work in a school and we have a gym here, its not too bad, its got the equipment but no steam room or jaccuzi...mores the pityimage 

Keep it up guys.

• Options

DP,

sounds like a great plan.  I'm a week in to my half marathon schedule now, Sunday is my long run day so my plan is to run to the gym each week following a different route to increase the mileage - last Sunday I ran 5 miles with my end destination being the gym - then straight in to the hydro therapy pool, sauna and steam room - absolute bliss.  Then got a lift back with the wife who goes there on a Sunday morning. 

I'll train all week on the treadmill then get out on the road on Sunday.  Have just been referred to a site called mapmyrun which means you can map out runs from your own house - I've now planned different routes to the gym building up the mileage each week.  Couldn't manage without the treadmill at the gym but it is nice to get out on the roads at the weekend and blow away the cobwebs.  Get's quite hot running inside but it helps build up stamina then when you do get outside it somehow seems easier - well for me anyway.

Good luck with the training.

SJ - excellent time for the 10K - what a great achievement.

• Options

thanks everyone for the kind words, unfortunately after doing my 10k i havent been able to run as ive got a muscular calf sprain from oversoing it a bit.

should be able to go back out after a weeks rest, shame as for some strange reason i really enjoy running in the cold and wet !

• Options

Morning all

The sun is shining here in Devon so I'm going to hit the road shortly - the first time in ages I'm actually looking forward to going outside!

I wish I had your attitude Mr SJ - I really don't enjoy running in the cold and wet. 

Thanks for the encouragement about the gym. I have some time off next week, so I'm going along to "sign up".

Must be nice to have a gym on site Jasp - shame there is no jacuzzi - I could happily spend all day in there!

Good move actually running to the gym NBFS - mine is a little too far away for that. I have used mapmyrun - but now tend to stick to Google Maps through Fetch. Seem to do the same job, except, if memory serves, mapmyrun does "follow roads" and gives you a graphic of the altitude which is scary to see! 

Agree about the annoying short days Matt - but great you can be flexible.

Be careful out there! image

• Options

i think because running is a total escape for me, clears my head and gets me out the house, the cold, dark and wet nights seem to make that even better !

strange i know image but im a full time house dad and after a day with the kids and sorting out arguments and tantrums, getting out just feels great, should be out tonight but i cant because of my injury.

thinking about signing myself up for another 10k in the early new year to have something to train towards and then foolfishly ive decided i will do the great north run next year

• Options

I know exactly what you mean SJ.  I manage a call centre and by the time I've sorted out the arguments and tantrums in here it feels great to get out!  image

I am seriously starting to enjoy this running lark though - sat there last night and just thought I could really do with going for a run but it was one of my rest days and I've got to do 5 miles tonight so I really couldn't. 

I was planning on doing the great north run also next year - waiting to find out when I can apply.  You can register on their website so that when the application process opens they will e-mail you.

• Options

lol, i used to work in a call centre and gave it up to be a full time housedad, have to say kids are easier than customers !

but running does become addictive quickly, i could actually go out now, its cold and raining and ive got nothing to do today ! but i cant, a weeks rest and i'll be back

ive registered for the great north run reminder thing and that should be really challenging doing that, looking forward to starting the training and considering entering another 10k in feb or march

• Options

Mr Sj - Train quite hard and you'll blitz even that great time.

My first 10k was (on extreme terrain) 52m27s.

My second (and the last one I have done) was less extreme but 44m07s with about 1-2 mins lost to a marshalling error (directed the wrong way!).

I just trained a bit harder. 

• Options
    cheers matt, i think you're right. it was the first thing i had ever trained for so dont think i stretched myself enough and didnt concentrate or put enough emphasis on speedwork. will do for the next one
  • Options

Hi matt n mr sj

you 2 are a real inspiration to me..........  make me wanna get out there more............ can you find me a few more hours each day of free time???  i dont mind that its dark often wet and v cold, i prefer the dark cos no one can see me!!!! and i like the cold too, which is strange and even stomping thru the puddles is fun, perhaps i need to invest in a spare pair of trainers tho so i can wear one and dry one.

Keep up the good work.................image