Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Like I said Marsh, you're a trooper. Quitting isnt in your nature.
  • Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭

cheers Marsh much appreciated ... trying to stay off heels and not braking but been doing quite a long stride ... will try shorter next time.

Glad to here your 'rubbishy' run didn't dampen your spirits ... and you quite literally kept your chin up image

• Options
    My shin splints are playing up again so no running for me for a few days. Just sitting here is agony, it feels as though someone is sticking needles into my shins. Going to go the gym in a few minutes for a circuit training class followed by a spinning class.
  • Options

Graeme I felt my shins ever so slightly earlier this week, I previously suffered from them a couple years back.  I have had an easyish week - not run the last two days and doing hill reps today on grass plus a few miles afterwards but sticking to grass for that too.  Not the pain you are obviously in though.  I have not felt them the two days I have had a little break, so hoping the twinges I felt were nowt.  I also do weight sessions especially for my shins, helps lots. 

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    0800 and what should have been a slowish inland run avoiding the strong NW wind turned into a real slog up the prom. image

Down through Waterloo, along the Esplanade and past Crosby Marina, where demolition of the disused nightclub is proceeding apace - then we met the wind and battled for half a mile before turning inland of the sand dunes and taking the footpaths to Crosby Baths.

There, we thankfully got away from the wind and it was easy going over the railway through Crosby and back to base.

5.5 miles, 54 mins

JogWatch: 3
  • Options

Windy up here too swittle...

Back from my run a nice shade of red, the hailstone showers were quite bad and quite sore on my face too!  In between them I had sleet and did catch a glimpse or two of the sun but that wasn't for long.  3 laps of the grass route which is approx 5 miles in total - not exact, on the map it says more but could never get it right with that as there isn't an exact pathway to run.  Didn't try the hill reps I had planned as it was muddy and the hailstones put me off that idea.  Feel great and no twinges at all. 

Had a heartstopping moment when a German Shepherd came bounding towards me - owners had two of them and neither on a lead.  Luckily for me I obviously wasn't worth the effort!  Did get a scare though and not even a sorry from the owners.

So my run today was 47:24.

Jog Watch - a group of 5/6.

• Options
    Thistle - I've suffered from shin spints since I was 12 (20 years now). I've tried everything possible but the only thing that helps is rest. It's frustrating not being able to run but even walking is painful at the moment. Sat here my shins are throbbing at the moment so no running for a good few days. I just did a circuit training class at the gym this morning and they had shuttles as one of the stations. It was only a 10 metre run and back but I swear I thought my legs were going to snap at one point it was that painful!
  • Options

Oh not good Graeme, don't think I have ever had them that bad.  When I had shin problems a while back, I only felt pain after I had run, not during.  I read on another thread in here that icing helps?  Here is hoping plenty rest and you shall be fine! 

• Options

Going out for a meal and drinks tonite with some friends. Going to be a big calorie binge - in alcohol as well as food. Decided to get a quick one in beforehand but the wife wasn't interested so decided to go for a run instead !!

Fancied a short quick run so mapped out a 3.6 mile course and left home at 5.30pm. I had actually looked at the mile markers before i went and wanted to try to beat 8 m/m - that would be the fastest i have run for a year. Hit mile 1 marker in 7:47 if i remember rightly and it was half a mile uphill. Tried to push on thru mile 2 - half of this on road and half across a big field and track - hit mile 2 in roughly 16:30 so it was slower. Now i was on the flat road for a short burst so I really tried to run it and not plod it. Went off road for half a mile and then back on tarmac with a slight downhill for the last bit of mile 3 - 23:54 - back on course ( i think i got mile 2 marker wrong) - now a short flat bit then a long steepish uphill climb of half a mile - I was trying to push on - honestly !! Decided to turn right at the top and run a lap of my estate to make it nearer 4 miles - really tried to push the last bit.

Stopped on my cul de sac at 32:08. Remapped it at 4.04 miles.  thats 7:57 m/m - bloody brilliant - bloody knackered too. Will try this again in the week as ive got a 5 mile fun run next sun ( its only 4.75 miles really - ive mapped it several times - but it is only a fun run - Isnt it ???)

Get better soon Graeme 123 - Thistle - bit of a coldish wind down here but nice and sunny. Come to Dorset !!!

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    mr2, hope your wife doesn't read this thread image

excellent running, sir. oh ye, perhaps your 5-miler's called a fun run because it is 4.75 miles
  • Options

20.04 miles my longest LSR before Stratford. very sore now but at last i can start the taper.

Nature Notes:

Hawthorns bursting into green leaf and Mountain Ash covered in blossoms.

Saw a few clumps of white wood anemones and the railway line was crowded with Celandine flowers,

Also saw a few sprigs of wild primrose, which is a heartening sight.

Jogwatch - about 4 - weather not too great but prob better than tomorrow will be! 

• Options

image I forgot to post this. image

04/04/08 - 5.3m - 46.03
    A much better feel today. I set off at decent rate and looked good for the first half. Nothing to stop me from my house to the top of Ryef. Still roadworks along Windsor/Ryef. As I ran around Long I passed teh first fellow runner. Nice and easy along Long and crossed over just after the zebra. Got to Circus point in ahalf decent 8.17. I really enjoyed running the A40, that felt really good today, my pace along ther was pretty good. Reaching Park point in a tasty 15.47. The run along Park was OK, passing the second fellow runner. A nice swift time down to roundabout point 25.03. Again pretty fast for me. Just after here I met the third fellow runner. I Ran fast up Hill Hill and seeing the beautiful coloured sky above the church is the best thing about running in British summer time.
    Reached the chip shop in a now fading 36.42. Straight across the lights and I tried to speed up down Long, especially from the pavement down past the church. Sutton was fast and the home straight was a sprint finish (of sorts). Great run!

• Options

image What a difference a day makes image

05/04/08 - 7.2m - 1.12.10
    Absolutely horrendous today. It all, started due to not getting out of the house until an hour and a half after waking up. Then not running off first time. I got twenty yards down the road thinking I couldn't do it. Came back and started again. My stride was all wrong, effort wrong and a dodgy stomach to boot!
    Managed to run all the way down my road, along Groves and up Windsor, even now they have finished the roadworks now. Alll the way up Ryef. I didn't know where I was going to run today as I was now so late. Decided to go to the Circus and decided not to cop out and carried on across the lights and beyond into Ickenham. No problem up Swakeleys and I decided NOT to go along the A40 as it is being dug up. So I went off to Harefield Road. But the whole run so far I was suffering. Managed OK up until Hill Hill but past the church is where it got nasty. i thought I was going to die! Anyway after a few minutes I re-started and just got the run finished. Poor, poor. Next time must do better!

• Options
    Cripes! I'm sure we all have days like that IR. Stick at it!
  • Options

Hi All,

Nice work Martin image Well doneimage

iRUN I had one of those days on Friday so didn't run today, hoping I can turn things round for tomorrow's Inter club "Border League" race in Frodsham, being Frodsham it's going to be hilly.

Anyone else racing tomorrow have a good oneimage

• Options

Got out last night with intention of good paced run 6miles in 48 mins.

Felt fine on miles 1& 2 in 16 mins ,then that damn queasy feeling hit me again,struggled & ran through it but my pace had suffered with my watch now at 33mins at mile 4, now feeling ok again forced the pace up to finish the 6 miles in my target time of 48 mins. image

april total- 13 miles

jogwatch-0 

• Options

Well with all that snow on the ground when i jumped up out of bed at 7am I thought better of getting outside on the pavement............What????  I'll get my trainers all wet and soggy! 

..............so off to the gym I went.

God.....the Treadmill......ah well, its better than doing nothing at all so I did a 3 miler, couldnt do anymore due to the usual people henkering around the treadmill trying to look like there aren't looking at the timer...they do my nut! image  But to be fair, I dont like treadmill hogs either so I kept it to 28 minutes, 2 minute cool down then jumped off and watched the scramble from the henker gang to see who would get on first.....won by a clear furlong by a strapping young man. image

Then onto the weight machines for 1/2 hour, back home, porridge for brekkie and just sitting here with a coffee catching up with whats going on in the wonderful world of running.

I love this life!!

Happy weekend all. image

• Options

no snow in doncaster, quite sunny but a very chilly breeze. wife and kids gone shopping so i will hog the tv and sofa.

12miles  1hr 39min 51secs  8.19 m/m av.

well done dh for the self motivation to at least get to the gym.

good luck everyone.

• Options

Sunday 6 April 200811:00

5.95 miles – 37:32.52– 6:18 m/m av [spec+clr –306.8]

Jog Watch – 1. (+ 200? Racers)

What a difference a day makes.

Felt truely awful Friday and last night felt a bit urgh so went to bed and turned the alarm off, if I didn’t wake up in time I wouldn’t race, that is was how it was going to be.  

Woke up in plenty of time and  looked out the window and there was a very light dusting of snow on the roof tops that I could see, the last time Helsby hosted a Borders race it was cancelled due to snow, I don’t think I was going to be that lucky today.

Didn’t bother doing a warm up, an easy jog to the start line was enough. Started nowhere near the front as I didn’t want to go off too hard. But because it was a downhill start I was soon in amongst the people I usually race against and then I thought I’d just stay there and hope for the best.

In the end it turned in to a cracking run, I worked hard all the way round, lost a bit on the ups, gained a bit on the downs. Made an effort to concentrate on my downhill form after giving gmike advice the other day and it seemed to works for me.

The course was brilliant, nice and tough plenty of hills, it was about 50/50 wet/dry, no snow drifts or ice tho. The wind wasn’t too bad even tho it was icy when it did blow, but generally very pleasant.

I'll give today's run a yeeehaaaaa score of 9 

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

2008 running total –589.87  miles.

• Options

Aren't I glad I didn't quit.image  I'm loving itimage

Well done everyoneimage

• Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭

... still struggling to get out the door here in essex ... it won't stop snowing and I'm getting nice and settled on the sofa with the heating up full whack.

First thing I thought this morning DH was today was perfect treadie weather ... shame I never got round to joining the gym

Stirling Effort all those who've ventured out ... I'll get there .... later image

• Options
    Great Running Marshallini!
  • Options

Sunday 6th April Lancaster 10K 11.am 43:18

Well I did what I set out to. Finish in under 45 mins. REALLY pleased. Haven't run a 10K in months and was hoping to see a vast improvememnt in my running. My previous pb was just over 49 mins. I was helped along by a runner from my club and it seemed it work. I was sub 7 m/m for the first 2 miles then I let him pull away and I slowed it down a tiny bit. Was far from a perfect run. Slight stitch in the 4th mile which meant a slow pace for that mile and the following one. Had a great 50m sprint finish with another guy. When I say sprint I mean sprint. We almost collided with everyone in the funnel. Got a few cheers! My gf described it as like the end of the Grand National yesterday! LOL image

The only tiny thing that irratates me is that from wearing a Garmin you find out the distance ran. My Garmin said it was slightly shorter than the said distance. That said, I have a 6 min buffer on my previous pb for a 10K so I know I did an improved time anyway. I know Garmins aren't 100% accurate but 0.31 of a mile out...? Anyway they said 10K so I'll stick with that. Hardly the Olympics is it!? image

Well done everyone else that ran or raced. Nice work Marsh.

• Options
    Sunday 6th - Dunsfold 10k

Well, would have been if it wasn't for the snow! It started about 10 minutes before I set off, but after nearly spinning the car twice within half a mile, I thought it best if I just went home.

So Plan B was to do 10k this afternoon once the snow had stopped. Headed out around 2.30, and was going OK for 15 minutes, then just stopped. Garrgh, it's happened again! I just don't have the motivation to do the longer distances at the moment. It's definitely a mental thing - 15 mins isn't the issue, it's the hour or so after that which stops me. My brain just says "I'm really not enjoying this"

OK, so I'm out there, over a mile from home, so I decide to go into the woods (luckily I was wearing my trail shoes, in case I had to run through any snow), and have a bit of fun. So I ran a bit, walked a bit, got very wet and muddy, got a bit lost, took the long route home, and did 5 miles in 1hour 10 mins. That time included all of the walking bits, plus a few bits where I stopped to look at the views. Didn't see the point in stopping the garmin, as I wasn't bothered about time or distance.

Final stats: 5.03 miles, 1hr10mins

I've set my sights on a couple of 10Ks next month, so my aim is to get some quality training in and to get over this silly mental block. I know it will all come back to me!

Good running all!
  • Options

No snow where i am but a bit windy, decided to get my gear on & head out anyway. Did 6 miles & felt good so i carried on & ended up doing 10 miles. Checked my watch at the end & was amazed to see that i'd finished in 1:30 knocking 8mins of my one & only other previous 10 mile time.

That run took my weekly distance to 30 miles, which is also a PB

Even my acheing feet can't take the smile off my face image

Great running everyone !!

• Options

NIce work Steve.image

RogW, I've just been reading an old thread for the Lancaster 10k and someone said this "Incidentally I had a GPS on and that said the course was about 0.1m too long "  I'd go with his reading and bag yourself a sub 7 m/m 10k - either way, cracking run well done.image.

SazzaG - Chin up, I'm sure you'll break thru it soon enough.

• Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭

06/04/08 - 1510 hrs - 10.98 miles - 1:32:28

Well I dunno where the energy for that one came from but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Headed off on one of my usual road circuits of Benfleet and took the longer route wherever the choice arose. Took in a hefty hill or two to widen the circuit a bit more and finally headed for Hadleigh Castle to finish on a nice and muddy offroad stretch across the Downs.
    Started off a quite a sprightly 7.30 m/m pace but couldn't keep it up for the duration, slowing to 9.30 ish once the icy breeze got me down by the creek.
    Still I think that's the furthest I've run this year ... giving me my best week for 2008 @ 27 miles over 4 runs.

Cracking results Rogwilco & Marsh & SD2 ... no hanging about today ... must be the chilly weather!

SazzaG - Perhaps you need a buddy to do the long runs with to keep ya motivated ... are you a club runner?

Happy running All

• Options

Grrr, I'm sat here reading about all your runs whilst nursing my shin splints. I feel great from the knee's up and would give anything to be out there. From the knee's down I feel as though my legs are about to snap.

Jog watch - Pah!!!

• Options
    gmike - I think that could be the answer. I see a trainer once a week, but haven't found a running partner. There is a nice little club near me, so maybe I'll bite the bullet and go along....
  • Options
    gmikegmike ✭✭✭

SazzaG - go for it ... it took me ages to pluck up the guts to go along but I'm so glad I did.