Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Hello swittle! (and Cal :-))
    I was very happy with my long run this morning- 13 miles at dead on 2 hours. I pushed my usual plodding pace a little and was hoping for a 9mm but am happy enough with a bit slower.  I ran with a lovely friend who's quicker than me and pushed me, although it was still fairly comfy and I was still chatting.  The aim is for a HM PB in four weeks....
  • Options
    Nice one, Nessie - which one are you doing?
  • Options
    Cal, belated congratulationisms on your shiny, new PB! 

Nessie, hope stuff ceases to be as tiresome soon.  And, to all of us, try not to be put off by the site makeover.  It can't sway our purpose in posting here!

I'm getting business planned.  It happens around tables; all are seated; the air temperature rises in direct proportion to the time of the meeting.  Long-time colleagues full to the brim with the latest corporate messages do their risible best to persuade me to embrace what's *best* for me.  Substitute 'the college' for me and that's much closer to the truth.

[Rant almost over]

So, in Sep. I get FT hours and a wing woman to train up; or go half time, still with the training; or I resign at any time from today.

Doubt is like rust; Neil Young wrote, 'Rust Never Sleeps'.  All for now.
  • Options
    Not been on in a bit so my last run was now Thursday which was a club hill session.  My knees were still a bit achy from the previous (18th) Saturday's 15 miler where I joined in the marathon training session, but I feel I managed ok without over pushing it. 

I guess I need to work harder on hip strength-  I've been a bit lazy with my physio exercises - so my own fault.   There was an 18 mile session today, but I was working.  I'll see how I feel tomorrow about a run before work, otherwise it'll be the usual Tuesday 10k/30:30 run.

Ideally, I'd like to regularly fit in 'longer' (by which I currently only mean 15k+) runs before the Brecon Beacons Half in May.  Or even the Ridge Off Roader in 2 weeks!  Anyway, that's the plan for 2017.  Increase distance, improve core/back strength, work on my gait and cadence, work on my head (I currently find I get bored after a while if I have to run laps or circuits and that affects my form) and finally(!) find more off road / trail runs.  Simples!  :D
  • Options
    Nothing much today, I specifically wanted something slow and a short distance after the two long runs I had this earlier this week. So 3.5 miles which took somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes and was a fairly basic circuit from home down to the pier and along the promenade for a short while, very similar to my first ever runs three years ago!

Hoping for something a bit longer early next week provided the very minor niggle in my leg doesn't turn out to be something worse.
  • Options
    Well, I have upgraded that shiny new PB again! Thorpe Park today - a good race for a new race - 1:57.01! The last couple of miles were quite tough but I hung in there and shaved another 36 seconds off last week's time.

I'm very happy with that considering I have a bit of a dodgy back and am still a bit fat after Christmas. :D
  • Options
    Good work, Cal!  :)
  • Options
    Woohoo Cal you are on a roll at the moment! Way to go girl!
    Swittle- work sounds horrid. I know well about senior management in FE and how little it is about teaching and learning, but about performance management, target setting, box ticking and basically corporate bollocks. As you said. I am very well protected for now with my benign management team in Sixth Form, although our current principal is leaving in July so anything could happen...I wish I had some words of wisdom for you :-( Is the teaching still a positive??? That is my one constant when times are hard at work. Still love the classroom.
    It was a very easy 4-5 miles in the forest with some friends this morning. Mild and mucky in the mud
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments, Nessie.  tbh, the classroom stuff isn't cutting it like it did and I'm tired much of the time.  I think I've slowed intellectually, or maybe I'm secretly undermining myself.  Anyhoo, I'm getting a bit closer to a decision.

2145 hours and 7.3 miles multi terrain.  Soggy grassland, redeeming trails, some sandy XC stuff and the ever reliable beach, tide lapping at my feet as I looked out at the derricks & platforms out to sea, lighted up like dilatory Christmas trees, making sure to steer clear of any Iron Men off to the shops for whatever they might need at that time of night.
  • Options
    Iron Men?

I actually felt good enough this morning to do my recovery run today, rather than resting as I normally do the day after a race. So, 4 miles very easy.
  • Options
    Super Cal.  I am looking forward to your marathon :)

Sorry to hear about your work stress swittle.  I hope it gets sorted soon.

Sounds like a good plan metalhead.  I should add all of those to my own list.

Saturday: 21,1 km in 2:02:12 with around 500m +/- (some of which were steep enough to reduce me to a shuffle uphill which was just about a jog).  I had a 5 mins break which I stopped my watch for after the first half to add 249 steps up a forty metre high watch tower to enjoy the unrestricted view of the Bernese Alps.  Must go in the evening again to get a good picture.    Was very tired by the time I got home.  Not used to that distance and amount of climbing at the moment. 

Sunday: around 40km local cycling.  
  • Options
    Well, you're looking forward to it more than I am - I remember how much it hurt last time!
    Well done on that run - I think a climb like that would finish me! I'd like to see that view, though.

Terrible sleep again - wanted to go back to bed but the sun was shining so I went out and did 6 miles easy. 10:45 average pace.

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    fantastic run report from you swittle and I'm pleased you're nearing a decision. Sounds like there's no hurry.  Give my regards to those iron men.
    Hazel, Cal, great running.
    Me- yesterday was a swim as usual. Tried to work on technique using the Total Immersion technique, which *feels* very minimal and slow but actually was the quickest mile swim I've done in months. Interesting.
    This morning's usual 5.30 am outing was surprisingly chilly but the sun was already trying to rise by a little after 6 am and it was a fun and varied session of 4 x 400m, 2 x 800m, 4 x 400m. Warm up and down of a mile each.I managed to keep the pace pretty constant for the second lot of 400s, which was the idea.
    Came home for a shower and the now weekly ritual of boiled egg with soldiers with the youngest before school and work :-) a perfect post-run breakfast
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    5.75k in the rain yesterdy evening.  There weren't enough club members to justify a 10k run as well and it was quite a nice change to do a shorter, but a bit faster, distance for a change.

I think it's intervals next (Thursday) than hopefully 13 miles on Saturday with the marathon training guys...  Next weekend (12th) is the Ridge Off Roader.  I should probably do some hill work in preparation for that too! 
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    7 mile club run tonight in the drizzle. Fabulous
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    No rain for me today - just a lot of wind! 12.2 miles with two miles warm-up and 10 at what should have been MP but turned out to be a lot quicker than that. Oopsy. Well, at least I know my powers of recovery have improved!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    4 miles in the drizzle today.
  • Options
    I was a bit lazy both running and posting wise in the last few days.

Cal, I thought about whether I should write that I'm looking forward to your marathon.  I know they hurt having done 2 myself.  I'm not (yet) training for one and it is much easier to sit back and watch someone else do so.  Hmmm - how should I put it?  I like reading your posts and your progress over the months with those regular HM PBs.  I think if you stay injury free you should be on for a good time in your marathon as well. 
    Next time I do that hill run I'll take a camera with me - i generally take a rucksack as there is no water supply on route.

Nice swimming and running Nessie.  Must come around for breakfast some time - I used to love toast soldiers and boiled egg.

Looks like a nice race Metalhead.  Going by the profile the climbs look steep in places.   Which distance are you doing? 

JT are you stilll out there?  Everything ok?

Me: had a CBA moment on Tuesday and didn't go out with the group, it was pelting it down with hail an hour before and very windy.  Did some much needed core work instead.

Otherwise 2 gentle 5km jogs at dusk on Monday and Wednesday.  Really enjoyed both, no pace pressures and I liked the feeling of the countryside quietening down for the night. 

Got my act back together yesterday for a 10 miler in 1:17:12.  I have my first race for this year over 15km in just over 2 weeks so that was a test for that.  The time didn't include two brief breaks to chat to my Tuesday group founder who was off to milk his cows and a walking diversion through some small brambles to avoid a fallen tree.  Pretty pleased otherwise with the time.  I am hoping for a new PB for the 15km which is currently at 1:10:50 set two years ago.  I would love to get a sub 1:10. 
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Hazelnut - I tend to post more detailed posts on the Shades thread and the 2017 marathon thread. Nice to know my posts are enjoyed though. :)
    I feel I've made really good progress during the last 6 months. I just need to keep on top of my niggles and not mess myself up before the race (or catch a cold on the plane home from Dubai..)
    That's a great time for the 10 miles - you'll kill that 15K.
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    10 miles this morning in the pissing driving rain along the River Lea at 9.1mm pace... two weeks to go until my HM, and to get a PB I need to go around 8.4.... hmm.. a bit ambitious methinks. Followed by a 1 km swim
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cheers, Nessie.  My rationale for running now includes  looking at what I used to miss when I had a tad more pace than I have now!  Hazel writes about the surroundings a few posts above.

There once was a 1000+ runner 15k race on the May BH only a mile away from me, multi-terrain, tracks, promenade & finishing on a rugby pitch!  I only missed one in 14 years.  Can't remember times.

Ye, agreed, Cal, your confidence, endurance & times have all improved well.

With the mini-stampede of RW devotees to fetcheveryone, I've noticed names from my peak RW days, 2004 onwards.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't rule it out, Nessie. I'm a lot faster in HMs than I am in training - I'm sure most people are.
    As I'm marshalling tomorrow, I had to skip parkrun and get my second 20 done today. It went about as well as you can expect - I was actually faster (3:26:08) than last time I did the run (3 weeks ago) but it was pretty hard towards the end. My pace didn't really drop, though, which is the main thing.
  • Options
    Agree with Cal and swittle Nessie.  I've been running my recent tempo runs more or less at race pace and I'm not sure if that is a good thing as I might not have a little extra in the tank for race day.  We will see.  Well done for getting out in the rain today.     Training in nasty conditions sets you up for racing in nasty conditions. 

Well done on the 20 miler Cal. 

swittle - the new forum has its disadvantages but I've got used to them now.  If everyone on here heads to fetch then I will follow but for now..  I do have a browse there every now and then but I'm not (yet) a member.

A tough 12 km for me today in 1:01:06.  The first 3km were gently downhill but were followed by nearly 4km of continuous uphill with some nasty steep bits .  Was relieved that the remainder was all downhill or flat.   Got out before the nasty weather fortunately.      Saw some catkins, masses of snowdrops and several storks (our village has a small colony (?) of them).  And also 4 other runners which is a good score for the route, one of which was a miserable bloke hiding behind his sunglasses and didn't say hello back.
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I love the signs of Spring - being a Londoner it's the odd tree coming into blossom, daffodils and croci. I also get to see loads of runners. Since my 20 mile route includes 4 (and a bit) laps of a big park I often see the same one several times. Today there as a nice silver fox who smiled every time we went past (in opposite directions). Don't see the point in being miserable!
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    A little something different for me this morning- a club relay race. 2 miles XC in a team of four. Fun and our women's team won the league for the first time in living memory!
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Brilliant, Nessie! I'm in my first club relay a week before my marathon. Not very sensible but I got talked into it. (It's road, though, and just under 5K so it should be alright).
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hazel: I'll continue to look in on My Last Run here on RW because there's no thread as long lived or doing the same job on Fetch.  I enjoy Fetch: friendly, relaxed, and as many gadgets, record keeping devices and race services as anyone could desire.

Well done, Cal & Nessie in quite different challenges!  Hazel, there used to be a feature called Run Watch [totally unofficial] here: posters recorded the number of runners they'd seen.

Tonight, out after 8pm for 8.3 miles.  Lively SW wind dictated my route, essentially, a circuit of the Marina, swell lapping against the lazy dinghies, firm footing up the beach and some unexpected XC to avoid flooded paths.  Two late night dogs exercising their 'pets' and a couple at the end of a very long walk indeed!

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice, swittle. I went out for a quick (well quick in terms of it being 4 miles - it was very relaxed ) run this morning as I have to be in for the Sky engineer. I hope he doesn't mind climbing out through the window as the downstairs neighbours aren't in so can't open the side gate. :/

• Options
    Cal I hope no-one got the wrong idea and called the police. 

swittle yep - Jogwatch, taxiwatch, birdwatch etc.  I admit to reading my way through quite a lot of this thread over several months bit by bit.  I read some of the first posts when I joined here to see that the thread is about and kept going somehow (over several months).  I like all the different characters.  (what happened to marshallini for example?).  

Nice relay race Nessie.

A lateish 5km jog yesterday - it was dark so fortunately I couldn't see how much it was raining but not too dark that I overlooked the big puddles. 
  • Options
    B4lowB4low ✭✭
    Saturday morning, 4 miles along the beach front in Blackpool, definitly the best way to get rid of the nights before drinking and curry fest!

Long way from my home town in midlands so always like to make sure I get coastal run in when I can.