Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options

That is a shame Cal! I am guessing it's quite a small club? There is such a wide range in our club, that no one will ever get left behind, and your pace would be somewhere in the middle groups, definitely not the back! But our club is pretty big...

Me- no running today but a new experience courtesy of my old man who's trying to encourage me to cycle more often (I'm doing a 40 mile sportive in a few months and second triathlon in the summer). So I used his turbo trainer. Did a 20 minute speed / fat burning workout and it was HARD! Legs like jelly afterwards

• Options

It's actually quite a big club, but the number of slower peeps in the marathon club is very small. There was one lady today who ran slower than me - everyone else is much faster. Put it this way - the slowest grouping is for people running 3:45 or slower. My last marathon was almost 4:45, so that's a huge difference. A 4 hour marathon would require me to go at HM pace, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

• Options
    Oh! So it's finally happened, and we've lost plenty of recent MLR updates..
    not sure what I think of this new look forum...
    Will have a fiddle around now.  It was 10 miles this morning, it's half term so the usual run schedule is out of the window
  • Options
    Hmmmph..  Just nearly fell off my chair.

Shame about the lost updates...

So where were we..?

Me: 
    Saturday: 12.5 km tempo in 01:01:30.  Added some minor upping and downing as my next race in March has quite a bit of that.

Sunday: snow shoe tour.

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well, this is, umm, different? 9.4miles in 1hr13. Easy going run, spoiled because I was thinking about the increasing coverage of Piers Morgan - thriving on these fetid political conditions, like smug cholera. Sunny, foggy and windy which is not a typical combination.
  • Options
    The effrontery of it!  I was asked to log in! Me! ;)  The font size does not appeal but the posts most certainly do!  That shredding easterly wind is veering towards SW, good news for coastal dwellers.  Day 411 done. :)
  • Options
    Easy 4 miles this morning. Legs were a bit stiff for the first mile but actually didn't feel as though I'd done a 20 on Sunday. Weather quite nice and bright, too.
  • Options
    Just how you want it to be, Cal.  :)
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ooh er.  It's like writing in a whiteout!  And teensy tiny text too!

I ran this morning.  But mapmywalk somehow failed to pick up the route.  Maybe the GPS.  Anyway I ran for 56 minutes and it was about 8k along the Grand Union Canal, based on having done the route before.

A sort of replacement for what should have been a 10k run yesterday evening.  But Valentines and a broken car changed my plans!   :p
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    12.9miles today on and offroad in bit over 1hr37. Lots of stiles and gates etc and tend to pause my watch for these. Forgot to unpause so added in the missing distance and time. Muddy. Really couldn't be bothered but dragged myself out. Had one of those days when I have lost my rag at nothing several times. One plus though I negotiated a country gate that has a concealed goolie height bar sticking out, which failed to bash me in the goolies. Not today gate, not today...
  • Options
    Put in a gentle 12km this morning before breakfast. Thankfully its a whole lot cooler today than it has been lately and it was gloriously comfortable even after the sun rose. 

Got back home and was surprised to see that according to Strava I equalled the Australian record for 1 mile! with a 3:49!!! Not bad given it felt like an easy jog. Imagine my disappointment when I realised my GPS had stuffed up and added a couple of bizarre zig-zag km's into the middle of the run. Turns out, after I correct the data, I was just running at 4hr marathon pace all along.
  • Options
    DadAgain - yeah that happens sometimes. I recorded a 7 minute mile a couple of weeks ago. I have never run a 7 minute mile, ever. Clearly my Garmin didn't like going under the railway bridge at Clapham Junction.
    JT, that's a fast time for mid and obstacles! Well done on evading the goolie bar!
    Well done, Metalhead.

Unfortunatley I've stuffed up my back by pushing a bit too much in one position during yoga on Tuesday (my own fault). It's to the right - more hip/pelvis than spine. I took a rest day yesterday so I decided to try a 4 mile test run for both my back and my new Garmin (25 - I like the 10 I have, just not the crap battery life, so the 25 is perfect). Back was still sore but I can run with it, though how much it will affect my speed on Sunday (Hampton Court half marathon) depends on how much it eases up between now and then.

The new Garmin works, so that's good.
  • Options
    I hope the back does ease up Cal and that Sunday goes well.  
    I did a track session on Tuesday- 3 x 1 mile repeats, which I was reasonably happy with. Rest yesterday and today was 7.5 miles very very slowly as my left hip / glute is niggling
  • Options
    Watch those niggles Cal and Nessie

Good luck for Sunday Cal. 

For me this week so far:
    5km recovery jogs on Monday and Wednesday
    19km cross country skiing on Tuesday in around 2 hours - only fell over twice this time when I got my poles and skis in a muddle uphill. 
    Yesterday: 13 km in 01:03 with average 4:49/km  Treated myself to a flat run along the river.  Training plan said 12km at 5.03/km but expects me to do 16km at 4:53 next week so I am upping it this week already.
  • Options
    Just struggling to make out posts: erm, goolies, records, bridges, niggles, and skiing.  Right, up to date!
    Me? 4 miles XC on Crosby Coastal Park, sedate pace.  Seem to have an attack of the ague...or something. :o
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    swittle said:
    goolies, records, bridges, niggles, and skiing.
    That's some "to do" list.
    16.8miles mix of road and muddy tracks in just over 2hrs05. Included a mile of public bridleway that goes along a golf course - I always get the sense of being very unwelcome. On my street coming back I heard a voice shouting, "Excuse me, you've dropped something." I stopped to figure out what I'd dropped (nothing) and see who was shouting at me. No one anywhere.
  • Options
    JT- spooky!
    Me- club race yesterday 5 miles and I got a PB at 40.46 according to my Garmin. Very happy with that!
  • Options
    Well done on the PB, Nessie! And nice long run, JT, if a bit weird!
    Good job on the XC, swittle - I'll have to give XC a stab next time around.
    Hazelnut, nice skiing/running.

I almost didn't make Hampton Court half today after hurting my back in yoga on Tuesday. After standing around at parkrun (I marshalled) yesterday, it was giving me hell. But I really didn't want to DNS so I took pain killers, used my TENS, rolled, did a few test strides around the block, napped, then went around the block again.
    Woke up, felt a bit better, took another painkiller anyway and decided to risk it.
    Despite everything, I score a new PB of 1:57:37 (25 second off!) so whilst I ache like hell I am ecstatic.
    Bath now - massage tomorrow. And next weekend I have it all to do again at Thorpe Park.
  • Options
    Wow Cal, very impressive stuff! Huge congrats! I bet you're over the moon xx
  • Options
    You bet, Nessie. I guess if you want something badly, you'll find a way. :D
  • Options
    Great Cal!  That hard work you've been doing is paying off.

And a new PB for Nessie too. :p  

There is a golf course to negotiate on one of my long run routes JT.  I have to weigh up the odds of golf balls whizzing around my ears depending on the weather, day of the week etc.  The public footpath goes round the perimeter but means going up the hill.  Actually the couple of times I've crossed the course the golfers were very polite and waited for me to get out of the way and gave me a friendly wave - well I thought it was friendly.  Maybe they were just gesturing for me to move my arse.

Hope you are feeling better swittle.

Saturday: 12 km along the river again (different bit).  OH came with me and discovered that doing quick runs does involve a bit of training so we had to slow down quite a bit after about 6km.  We will see, unfairly he was only 20 seconds slower than me last year over 10 miles after only 3 training runs (did a lot of cycle commuting prior to it though). 

Sunday:  50km on the mountain bike with around 800m + / - also with OH who got his revenge for the day before by sending me up some very steep hills.  There was too much snow to do the off-road bit on the higher section.     
  • Options
    Fantastic sounding weekend Hazel! 
    I did turbo trainer on Sunday and swim yesterday, then this morning's 5.45 outing was 5 x 1km with a mile warm up and another warm down.  Happy with my pace- my PB's given me a bit of a push and encouraged me to try a bit harder!
  • Options
    Nice training mix Nessie.

10,4 km in 58 mins yesterday evening with the Tuesday group.  Legs were a bit tired from the weekend and I was content to do the sweeper up the first hill.  Got my second wind for the final one and won the "sprint" but I think only because the other woman I was "fighting" with backed off the pace a bit - but she was hardly breathing at all.  It was pretty warm - could have done without wearing the high-viz vest but it will be a few weeks yet before we can leave those off.
  • Options
    Good cross training, Hazel and Nessie. I have some high vis Ts and tops - might be an option if the vest is too hot?

4 recovery miles today. Still fatigued. Stretched a lot when I got back. I'm going to back off the yoga for a bit as I did a class yesterday and my back was sore again afterwards, even though I took it easy.
  • Options
    Well it's been a while I was last here, maybe a year even, but my injury troubles look like they may well be behind me now so it's time to start getting back to long runs!

After a 16.4 lsr on Monday I was out again this morning for what can loosely be described as a recovery run but I made a point of not taking my Garmin which meant I could just have a steady trot with some short breaks here and there and it turned out very much like that. In the end it came to 11 miles including a mile on a new bit of coastal path, 450ft in around a mile up Portsdown Hill, a hospital visit (to use the water fountain) and a train ride to cut 3 miles off the route home! 

Overall a very nice and enjoyable run, just a couple of short runs to finish the week off now. :)
  • Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hello Matt
    7 miles very sociable and pleasant with some great women from the club tonight. Wonderful weather, mild with a bit of drizzle. I was in a dogsh*t mood before I went out for a run after a really w*nk few days, but as always the running therapy sorted it out completely :-)
  • Options
    Hi Matt, sounds like a very nice run. 

Nessie - I like my group therapy on Tuesdays as well.

Could have done with some company on today's run.  Very unusually for me I cut it short.  Was supposed to be doing 12km tempo.  I stopped after 10 as I couldn't cope with running against the strong wind on the return trip any more (out best km 4:35, return no better than 5:11).  I nearly stopped after around 7.5km already (shoe lace retie break) but forced myself to finish the 10km at least.  Wind is my biggest enemy out running - I try to fight it and it always wins.  

At least it was warm and sunny and I saw my first bunch of snowdrops this year. 
  • Options
    Hazel, sounds like we had a very similar experience today! Mine was supposed to be 5 miles progression run, but turned into 4 and a bit with very little progression  :# Storm Doris was pretty fierce and at some points I thought I was going to go into the pond in the forest! Other bits I was super fast with the wind behind me, but on the way back I was sloooow fighting the wind and walked back to work eventually
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind wishes.  They lift me.  Yes, the lurgy is departing and I'm running stronger and easier.  4.1 miles at 0645 and in just in time to miss the first stirrings of a storm called Doris.  :o
  • Options
    Doris kept me inside yesterday (whilst rather unhelpfully knocking down my Sky dish) but I managed 6.3 in the sunshine today. The first four miles were rather sluggish and awful (still recovering from Sunday) but my legs had eased up enough to push to MP for the last two miles. Threw in some strides too. Back is almost 100% now.