Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Well good news is my retinas look OK.
  • Options
    Cal, Sounds like posterior vitreous Detachment, common in the myopic and, er, long in the tooth (sorry).Everyone tells me it will 'just go' but the bugger is very stubborn and outstaying its welcome. No treatment as far as I know.

But your return to running is grounds for optimism!

I've done the Horsham winter course. A bit easier than the summer one I think and in a country park. Recommended but as you say a long way from a station.

Right, now another medical bulletin.
    Tuesday morning I was visited by something called Benign Paraoxysmal Positional Vertigo. My god! Felt like I was in a tumble dryer. Like the worse hangover you've ever had x 10. Sweat, shakes and sick + panic. 

All to do with crystals in the inner ear. Nasty but not malignant; the symptoms worse than the condition. Meds and exercises cleared it, thank goodness.

I bloody hate 2023! It began with Covid and since then I've had the quad, groin and knee all go. Plus the shoulder, the eye, tinnitus and this vertigo thing - and told my teeth will fall out in 6 years or so.

But, dear reader, this is better than virtually all my old git pals - so actually I'm a happy bunny!
  • Options
    Uggh doesn't sound nice at all JB - glad there was a quick fix for it.  Despite the lack of recent training you are still quick over 5k - even quicker will come back soon.  

The woods don't necessarily feel cooler Cal as the humidity is higher.   Jeffing still going well and glad your eyes are ok.

Looks like our heatwave is about to break this weekend after two weeks - thank goodness.  Kept ticking over with a 10 miler yesterday morning, the last half an hour was pretty unpleasant sweatingwise.  I am contemplating going down to a 10k rather than doing an HM I haven't sufficiently trained for next week.  Then again I haven't done the speedwork in the last few weeks for a 10k either.  HM distance isn't a problem, doing it at a for me decent race pace will be.  Reading the race rules I can down distance for no fee.
  • Options
    Cal been following your progress and the jeff'ing on Strava, it's going very well. Looks like that injury is coming to the end now !

My mother had a detached retina. Started with sparkles in the eye before having to inject oil into the eye to push the retina back in place. Worse bit was she needed to look down for months to get it to attach itself. Any type of sparkle go see an optometrist !! I'm like one eye'd willy as well... Bad one eye

John, great to see you back @Parkrun ! Still some great times, you are certainly one of these annoying, naturally high VO2max people 😁. Glad to have you back on board though hope everything is clearing up a little further. That 219 was Strava Effort not HR, I can get that to 185 maybe if I push push...

Hazel, something better that nothing ! The humidity is a killer. Having sweat that can't evaporate means body get hotter and can effect your HR by 10BPM from what I've read. Best way is to scale the pace back, you'll still get the benefit without destroying yourself through effort...

It's half term and I'm on annual leave looking after child so running is fitting it in whilst I can. Stayed on plan though, either early morning or late evenings. Few decent runs of which had one yesterday with a 4-3-2... 4k@MP, 3k@MP+, 2k@10k all of which moderate 1k recoveries in-between. Stats good which was surprising given me and child had been out for 6 hours riding our bikes...
  • Options
    Yeah, that's true, Hazel - I remember doing Wimbledon Trail Series last year when it was hotter than this year and there was on bit where you run alongside a brook under trees which felt like a tunnel of humidity. HR got very high (and I'd had heart tests that day too and was still anxious something might be wrong with me). Anyway, cooler weather on the way.

DH, yes I went on Thursday and had them give my retinas a good look but they are OK. Just age, as John says (I did Google it, John, and that's what it said).

JB - yup I've had a bit of vertigo myself and it sucks. It seems to have passed for now, thankfully. (Have you tried the Epley manoeuvre?) We've both had a shit year, haven't we?

On a more positive note, I've had an eventful couple of days. I had an offer from one of the ladies who helps at junior parkrun of a lift to Pont y Bala parkrun in Wales (which is up in Snowdonia). I wasn't sure as it'd be a very early start (out of bed at 3am for a 4am pick up) but after a bit I thought, sod it, there's no way I'd get to it otherwise so OK. Took almost 5 hours to get there but it seemed less as we had a good old natter in the car.
    Felt stiff after sitting for so long and didn't have time for a warm-up so started with a jog and found I was able to keep going. Ran the whole thing: 31:57. I did try to push on a little during the last mile but even 10 minute mile seemed quite hard.
    After that we were back in the car for an even longer drive home (due to one navigational error and a lot more traffic). Arrived back just after 5pm and I was falling asleep during the World Champs - just managed to keep one eye open for the 100m relays before sleeping for over 9 hours.
    Anyway, despite all that sitting on top of my first continuous run since injury, my body felt not bad at all this morning and it was lovely out so I did another run, slower but 4 miles this time. I got into a nice rhythm during the third mile so even considered taking it to 5 miles but then I started feeling pretty tired so kept it at 4 as intended.
    Still not sure about Ealing half in four weeks but will see how it goes. Will be a slow one, if I end up starting.

• Options
    Thanks for the kind comments.

Cal, great parkrun tourism!! Well done for that run and the one today.
    An HM is a different beastie of course...... as Hazel is contemplating.

DH, trying to balance the child care with training is tricky. 
    6 hours on the bikes? That's a Tour de France effort!

Bognor parkrun. Narrow, twisty paths and a slow course. Quite happy with 22.16......

Until I realised I'd exited at the wrong place and missed my token. After much confusion (vertigo not helping), I got the token and a 25.32 time, my PW in 281 parkruns.

Mostly my fault, although the signage wasnt great.

10k intended this morning but only managed 8k as my knees and hamstrings weren't happy.

2023 continues to deliver its bitter fruit!
  • Options
    I know it's not your style but maybe do what I've been doing by starting with run/walk intervals? 
  • Options
    Good you are managing to fit the runs in DH.

I was surprised to see the location of your Saturday parkrun Cal - but why not use the tourism opportunities when they arise  :)  Good you managed two non-stop runs now.  Maybe stretch the distance a couple of times this week but go back to Jeffing for it?  

I would go by your own inofficial time there JB.  Decent time on what isn't an easy course by the sounds of it.

Didn't feel too great on both weekend runs - Saturday's recovery with strides (7.8 m) saw very heavy legs - it needed the strides at the end to wake them up a bit.  I had spent a lot of time doing not very much at all in the days before the run and maybe needed to get things moving.  Did a sort of test run yesterday - plan was for 18k with up to max 16 at a decent effort without overdoing it - I managed 10k of those 16k and was pretty tired and sore after that.  I think I need to dump the Endorphin Speed 3 for races to be honest as I think they are contributing to the problem.  Ok for intervals but nothing more.  Shame as they were not cheap and only have about 200m.  I get on well with the 2 version - no issues there.  

2023 hasn't been too great for me either - no injuries at least but with 1 DNS, 1 DNF, 2 mediocre results and 2 ok B race results (back in March!) my race results show little return for the training I do.  
  • Options
    I had considered that, Hazel. However, I wasn't going to run today but it's a Bank Holiday and the weather was cool and sunny again so couldn't resist. I actually felt even better than yesterday and ended up doing 7 miles (continuous). There was a hill in the penultimate mile so I got a bit more tired after that but aside from a bit of an achy bum during the run, there were no ill effects (achy bum I can handle - it's when I get the stabby pain in my sitbones that I worry as that makes me limp. And I don't have that).

Shame about your shoes and it's super annoying when a manufacturer changes or discontinues a model you love. I still haven't forgiven Nike for getting rid of the Epic React as the direct replacement doesn't suit me at all.
    That aside, I hope things pick up for you. I've not been doing well since the pandemic so I sympathise.
  • Options
    Did a 5 yesterday which was OK, not awesome, and 8 today.  Started out well enough but grumpy bits got grumpier towards the end so I think I overdid it a bit. No stabby pain but I Theragunned it and sat on an ice pack when I got back to be safe.
    Wore my chest strap and tried to keep an eye on heart rate but gave up trying to keep it under 150 after three miles. I guess my running economy has declined quite a bit during injury, though it felt easy (I was breathing slowly and mostly inhaling through my nose).  Still, if my max is around 200, then this was mostly in zone 2 with a bit in 3 towards the end so I guess not that bad. 
  • Options
    So Paulette, the lady who drove me to Pont y Bala last week wanted to do the iconic Severn Bridge parkrun today despite having a fear of heights. Given the anxiety attacks I've experienced over the last year or so (possibly a post-menopause thing, I don't know) which seem to be related to wide open roads where escape is impossible (such as the Big Half tunnel, having to wait on an island in the middle of a multi-lane road with traffic moving around me and Chelsea Bridge a couple of times) I knew this was likely to set me off too but unlike Paulette, I am not scared of heights - this seems to be more a form of agoraphobia, though it's unpredictable (such as why Chelsea Bridge but not other bridges in London?) But I didn't want to be held back by fear so I said yes. Not quite such an early start (only a 2 and a half hour journey) which went quite quickly.
    She'd also signed herself and me up for token sorting afterwards so there was no backing out. The parkrun starts under a bridge which has some nice colourful street art and there were a lot of parkrun tourists. Most seemed less worried about it than me. As soon as I got on the bridge I felt like I wanted to nope out of there but I stuck myself to someone and stared at the floor for the entire thing. It was slow because I was too scared to pass the lady I was with and find myself on my own, so one of my slowest non-walking parkruns to date (although being just post-injury, it's probably a good thing to keep the pace down for now). Paulette was slower but actually enjoyed it more than I did (or at least was less scared). So I got it done, though I will be in no hurry to go back or indeed to do any races which feature big bridges (no NYC marathon for me!)

• Options
    I went out around 7am and did 9 miles. Still feeling a little anxious after the bridge run yesterday though it passed after a while. Usual aches and pains but nothing unmanageable. However, I think blood sugar was a bit low as I ate my main meal much later yesterday (due to travelling) and then only had some grapes and peanuts in the evening instead of something more substantial. Happy to get it done though.
  • Options
    If I'd have know you were at Severn Bridge Cal I'd have popped over ! Well done on completing though. The bridge itself has a nasty incline really on it which people don't expect. Hope the clouds were out so you could see the views...

Kiddo back in school today so now I only have the baking hot heat to deal with amongst training. Last week runs felt harder that usual but Sunday I had Cardiff 10k and after a few days of easy I felt great in the morning. Shame the race did not go to plan :( All going on PB path and then just couldn't anymore... Even slowing to basically MP my heart rate did not return down, the heat killed me I think. Maybe I shouldn't have been so greedy and put me in a rather bad mood all of yesterday... 

Anyway onwards and upwards, put the CDF medal next to my shoes to remind me what I have to beat next time. Best way keep training... Cardiff HM is the plan so need to restrain how I start that one - fail forward ! 

Hope everyone is staying hydrated !
  • Options
    DH, I was staring at the ground the entire way. I did see the other bridge when we drove over it on the way home, though. 
    Heat will do that, unfortunately. I remember my HR got pretty high during UltraLondon even though I was going slowly - I had to Jeff the last 12 miles or so.
    Slow ploddy 4 miler today - managing the niggly bits, of which there are many.
  • Options
    It was mentally hot, bad luck I guess...

Got up early to get my session done 5x800 & 5x200, it's going to be proper hot again so wanted to get it done early before the sun came up onto our path. A few big runs planned this week and typically weather is beyond warm... Anyway done, onwards and upwards
  • Options
    Yeah we've got this for a week. It's not quite so bad as the sun is setting a lot earlier now so I'm not getting it full blast at 8pm, which is what happens in June. I'd still rather it were cooler, though.

So I threw in a little speed today - relative speed, that is, given I've mostly been running 11-12 min/mi since injury so 10 feels brisk. There are a couple of long residential roads in Tooting called Links and Seely which sandwich a series of shorter roads with alphabetised names (starting at Ascot and ending with Jersey). These make up Links Ladder which I did with the Alphabet roads at a brisk pace rather than a sprint, and short recoveries at either end. Then ran back down Seely at a moderate pace before slowing to come back up the hill to where the track and gym is.
    I finished at the gym with a lap of the track to bring it to 8 miles then went to the gym and did some upper body weights for half an hour. I decided to do that on the spur of the moment as if I'd gone home first because I'd find an excuse not to go to the gym, which I often neglect once I up my running days per week.
  • Options
    Crap night's sleep. Gave up around 4:45am and went out around 6:20 (after a warm-up). Felt weak and floppy which I put down to the humidity and lack of sleep but managed to plod 5 miles. I think my body would have preferred a rest day but I wanted to take that tomorrow instead.
  • Options
    It is very warm and humidity is as high as it's been for a while - that's the killer

Left my moderate run yesterday until Sun went down and finished in the dark. It didn't help much I was dripping. I have a hard 15k session to do today, not sure when or how I'll complete that tbh but might stay to some easy loops somewhere and strategically plant some water around the place.
  • Options
    Absolute killer last night. Waited for the sun to set so run was half in dusk and half at night, cooler hopes. Wrong... 27c with 73% humidity ! Disgusting conditions...

5-4-3k through MP/HM/10K paces with 1k run recoveries... I weighed myself before any after and lost nearly 2kg in water. Completed using loops of my area so I had water positioned around and boy it was needed...

Rest day finally 
  • Options
    Hi again.

Quick update. Both my knee and hamstrings have prevented any proper training, but risked both today with an excursion (approx 2 miles!) to the Lancing parkrun. Despite being on the coast the heat was pretty brutal.

22.00 was good in the circumstances and prevailed over my fellow old gits of 60 and 65.

Hope I can get back to regular training, events and posting.

I follow Cal on Strava. Good to see you are on the mend.

Cheers to all
  • Options
    No way John, I was there today! I didn't realise Worthing was cancelled so of course you'd be there. But I was travelling with the same lady I did the last two parkruns with and it was her choice of venue so I didn't really think about it. I ran a smidge under 29 which I'm OK with given the heat and the fact I'm coming back from injury and not really fit. I think it'd be a quick one on a cooler day.
    I still have Hove Prom and Littlehampton Prom to do so I'll let you know if I ever go to those. Probably wait until I am fit enough to do them justice, mind.

• Options
    I LOVE those shorts Cal !!

Good to hear from you John and you hopefully proper training in the future...

The heat today, I agree, was brutal. We had an event where we run from one pub (Tiny Rebel) in town to the brewery ~=12k... I needed an easy run before tomorrow long run but it turned a savage, hot and very sweaty messy run. Still it came with a free beer and food at the end :) 
  • Options
    Thankyou DH! I have a lot of pairs of loud shorts and leggings - may as well make exercise as much fun as possible.
    Can't knock free food and drink.

Hot and sticky here in London - sleep's been patchy, especially with people being noisy outside all night. Earplugs and having the fan on helped. 
    But with Ealing in two weeks, I needed to get a longer run done no matter the weather and set out with the intention of doing 12.  I went out at 6am and heat was manageable but humidity was off the charts for the first five miles, after which there was a light breeze which helped a little. Suffice to say I went rather slowly. I ran the Wandle Trail from Earlsfield to Mitcham Common, after which I was accompanied by the London to Brighton bike ride almost all the way home (going in the opposite direction, obviously). 
    This is the longest run I've done since the ultra as I only managed to get up to 10 miles after that before ham tendon decided it was going to make me take a break. It was pretty achy today but didn't get the sinister stabby pain I did then so it's manageable.
  • Options
    Oh Cal, I just opened Strava and there was your Lancing run. So, yes, a missed opportunity. Mind you, I was in quite a state afterwards and might have found it hard to put a sentence together.
    Your reference to the London to Brighton bike ride took me back as I did it a few times.

DH, a beer after a hot run is SO tempting but I never succumb.
    You certainly earned it.

Not feeling wholly brill today. The heat and humidity don't help.

• Options
    Well at least it's cooler now.
    I ran yesterday - 5 miles which comprised of four miles slow and then a mile on the track alternating faster running with jogs every 100m. So strides, but a bit more formal than I usually do them.
    Felt mostly OK. Did a bit of hip/glute/ham stuff in the gym then set out to walk home but ended up running after someone's runaway Dachshund. Failed to catch him though, the little blighter was fast. I hope they managed to get him home.
    My hip was gnarly all afternoon (this is the left one that I suspect may have bursitis, not the right one where I've been out injured with the ham tendon/SI joint/groin or whatever is causing all of that. So today's just been walking and the gym. I need to get myself to Ealing without further damage. If it's calmed down a bit I'll run tomorrow. It actually doesn't feel bad to walk or run on but my lower back's aching. I suspect that might be the root cause of all of it.
  • Options
    Conditions so much nicer this morning. Did 8 miles of a local hill circuit (Rectory and Church roads which lead down to Amen Corner in Tooting) - it's not that steep but enough to add a bit of a test. Kept a steady pace rather than a fast one. Ealing has a couple of hills so just wanted to be prepared. :)
    Hit 8 miles near the gym so opted to go in for a quick bit of rehab which calmed my grumpy hammy down. The left hip was OK on the run - other movements seem to bother it more. But main thing is it's not going to stop me racing next weekend. 
  • Options
    I don't generally drink much at all these days but I do like a proper crafty beer... After a hot run though bad drink of choice, ice cold can of fully fat coke

Good news on the body Cal, keeping it easy next week I guess ?

Had a 19k session on Tuesday with threshold & tempo paces. Harder going that expected and still a little sore from it today even after an easy run yesterday... Another faster session today but slightly lower length than previous ones. 
  • Options
    I like a Diet Coke but it's full of crap chemicals so I am trying not to have it too often, having weaned myself off it a month or so ago. That and it's not exactly cheap.

Yesterday I had the offer of a lift from Paulette (lady I went to the last few parkruns with) to the new Quakers Walk parkrun in Devizes. It had 38 runners for its hush hush inaugural...351 showed up yesterday. They coped very well, considering. It's a largely flat course shaped like a butter knife (they call it P shaped, but it's more like a knife if you ask me), which you do three times. Partly on lumpy gravel and a bit on tarmac. Fastish. I kept it steady for a while and then pushed on so ran descending splits and finished in 27:57 so I'm getting better again, though I've still some way to go.
    We helped sort tokens after then had coffee and visited the Caen Hill locks which are an engineering marvel.
    Today I wanted to do 10 miles and thought I would go down to Battersea Park and see if I could handle crossing Chelsea Bridge. I thought it might be easier in daylight. It was not and I chickened out. :( The sides of it are quite low and I think that is why I am having difficulty. So I went back and did one and a half laps of the park and then ran home via Clapham and Wandsworth commons. Not the greatest of runs - ham was aching too but I got it done and should be OK for Ealing next weekend.

• Options
    Just popping in. Knee a bit better, hammies a lot better. 
    Hot hot parkrun yesterday and just crept back over the 80%AG.
  • Options
    Sounds promising, John. How's the vertigo and PVD?

Very windy today but did a sluggish 5 miler. Legs felt both heavy and rubbery so didn't push it.