Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Ouch ! Take it easy with this heatwave Hazel... Heat is probably worse that anything for running

Another speed session in the bag yesterday which has been upped from previous starting sets of x6 to x10... It a killer session that finally I seem to be be able to nail the paces a little better

10x 2m@5k, 10x 30s@5k+, 4x 50m Sprint

Fun session that one
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I'm glad it's grey and drizzly here.
    My hamstring tendon was really bad on Monday morning so I've taken a few days off. It has eased but I'm seeing my physio tomorrow. I did fear it was as bad as the injury that took me out for a while during early 2021 but as it's calmed down I think it won't be quite that awful. (Probably just as well I've not yet booked an autumn marathon - probably won't now).
  • Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Spoke too soon. Did a 2 mile test run today and I need more time to heal. 
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Cal.  What did the physio say?  Likely a good idea regarding the autumn marathon.  

You did well on that run DH.

It seems our heatwave is over for now thank goodness.  I was due a run on Wednesday but postponed to yesterday morning instead.  Definitely worth it and the bother of getting up an hour earlier than normal - it was muggy but cool for once.  I was able to take advantage of that for a decent run - around 2 miles WU then 10k at comfy hard pace (for a sub 47 10k) and a bit more for a cool down.  9.7 miles in total.  
  • Options
    Take it easy on that Cal, no point rushing and injuring it further as it does mean more time out overall...

I'd say a 47m 10k session is a grand effort Hazel 👏

Weather had turned here and gone cooler and rainier ! Pretty good for running in. Managed a few easier sessions but legs felt heavy yesterday so glad of the rest day and easy tomorrow. Sundays 10k trail is going to be fun in the rain !!
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Looks like your trail race went well DH  :)

I backed up Thursday's speedwork with a relaxed MLR of a bit over 11 miles.  Decided that would do for my longest run of the week.

2.5 hour cycle on Saturday so day off of running.  

I had a brunch event planned for Sunday morning and it was supposed to get warm and windy so not much choice other than to get up and out early.  Was worth it - first cool start to a run in a long time, almost regretted wearing a vest initially.  5 x 800m after a warm-up with some strides soon banished thoughts of needing a t-shirt though.  Decent set - I am still at the low end of my potential pace range but pretty consistent which is my main goal at the moment.  I managed to slow jog all of the recoveries too.  Couple of miles warm-down for 8.5 miles.  Breakfast had been earned.
  • Options
    Well you say that but my GPS screwed me over, aim was to get under the hour but my watched ended up measuring nearly 1/2km extra ! I thought I had 2/3 mins in the bank, even stopped to drink my water at the top of a climb with (what I thought) was 1km'ish to go... Had I known I was so close I'd have pegged it hard. Ended up 28 seconds above the hour...

To be fair this is considered to be one of the toughest 10ks in the country and all the way around I didn't feel like I was pushing so the under hour is definitely for the taking, next year ! Still a great race though...

What are you training towards now Hazel ? Or is this maintenance mode whilst you think about it...

• Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    That is annoying DH.  Did you have any distance markers on the course you could checked your progress against?  I guess the course might have been long, or the GPS reception poor.  Glad you enjoyed it nonetheless.  

I have a 10.xk mid-august and an HM a couple of weeks later.  More lets see where we are races than anything else.

7 miles yesterday evening nicely timed between two showers.  Gave myself a chance to build into the run and check how I was feeling after the previoius day's speedwork.  Everything was still attached and working.  I didn't think I would profit from doing proper strides though as I had originally planned so just did a series of short pickups instead just to get the legs working a bit without stressing them too much.
  • Options
    No distance markers sadly and previously it measured 10.1 so surprise it went another .4 but hey ho. I made a plan and, for once stuck, with it...

I had a speedy session yesterday as well 10x400m + 5x200, I made my paces as planned but needed walk recoveries. I asked if hitting pace & walk recoveries was better than taking something off pace and jog recoveries were better... Answer jog recoveries better ! It allows muscles to flush the lactate out, aides in preventing injury and you don't ache as much. I felt achy yesterday evening and still so this morning all due to walk recoveries apparently... lesson learnt

Moderate planned later and will probably have rest tomorrow before I complete a failed session from a few weeks ago Friday
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    That is interesting DH.  Will keep that in mind.  If I have to walk it is usually the last rep of a session and I've found the whole thing tough or have overcooked a single rep which I can usually see quite well afterwards.  I don't normally check my paces during the session as my watch doesn't flash up the individual split times.  My paces are in general a bit below what I should be able to do apparently but I get the sessions done which is the most important thing.  If I go faster then I tend to break off.

No speedy stuff yesterday for me - maybe inspired by your trail race I set off on a local route with some trail sections.  As I was due a recovery run I tried to keep the effort low.  The route involved a long down and then what a surprise a long back up.  Despite slow shuffling which could be barely described as running I struggled a lot on the last couple of km as my right leg decided to start seizing up for whatever reason.  I should probably have cut it short or walked the rest.  Hopefully no damage done but will keep an eye on discomfort the next few days.  Just under 7 miles done again.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    With Cal and JB on the bench it is a bit quiet on here at the moment..

b2b 10 milers on Wednesday and Thursday for me.  I had planned to do a speed session on Wednesday but still felt generally meh.  Rather than trying to force a proper session and abandoning it on the second rep at the latest I toned it down to 5 x 5 minutes comfy hard effort off of 2 mins recoveries.  I did manage that but it wasn't a great deal of fun somehow.

The 10 miler yesterday on top maybe wasn't the best of plans as I had to go out over midday.  Caught a bit of sun on my shoulders as I forgot to put on sun cream.  Kept the effort down as much as possible and no overly steep inclines.  Day off today - nicely timed as it will be pretty warm.  Just a walk later.   
  • Options
    It is definitely quiet in here... Hope Cal & JB doing ok. I can see Cal doing lots of gym and walking work at least...

2x 10 mile sessions would be hard work no matter what the sessions, you've done well. I'm bad for going out without sunscream although really not needed recently 🌧⛈

Managed a few sessions. Mixed paced run with paced sections that I only managed 3 of 4 sets last time. Completed that and controlled the pace far better this time. Usual Parkrun with the dog for a change (he needs a running harness !) and a long run yesterday with comfy paced 3k sections although I was done at the end... It drizzled all the time which was actually nice as not heavy, just enough to cool you off 
  • Options
    Yeah I had a setback midweek - did a core class because strong core is apparently everything, but was in so much more pain the next day. I think my hamstring issue is actually more of an SI joint issue with complications. I can't say for sure without a diagnosis but I can't afford private and it'll take so long to get an NHS referral I'll likely be better by then. Anyway, carry on.
  • Options
    Hi all. Time for a bit of catch up and an explanation of going AWOL.

You might recall that 2 months ago I was having a bit of knee trouble. It's basically runners knee plus wear and tear.

A physio seemed to be quite confident that it would go if I did all the exercises. But if anything it got worse and at times walking was tricky and the stairs were my enemy. I even started looking at bungalows on Rightmove! Running was almost unthinkable.

I must admit that morale took a dive and I was beginning to think of myself as an ex runner. Funny when only a few weeks earlier I'd been hitting PBs.

Then on Friday I blitzed it with a series of exercises that could have gone either way but luckily made a difference for the better.

On Saturday at 08 00 I decided to risk a parkrun. Not very bright but I could always drop out.

But it went very well. Pain free and, in a gale, 22.29. A bit silly but I got away with it and it did wonders for morale.

So, thanks for bearing with me and I hope I'll be running, and posting, again in the very near future........

• Options
    Take it easy Cal I can see you are still walking lots and plenty of strength work ! 

Good to hear from you JB and glad things seem to be getting better. I've had those issues where walking stairs is hard but plain walking is fine, it's odd but they do get better with some time. Trust in the physios... 22:29 not shabby for a comeback ! 

Not sure what I've done since last post but a few speedier sessions, which don't seem to be progressing and a long run yesterday which I stupidly compared to a similar marathon session I done back in April. One back in April was far better. Differences are

- 15c yesterday vs 8c
    - 6sec quick per km yesterday
    - April would have been peak mara' training

I think the weather makes a massive difference to me, not sure what everyone else thinks ?
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Thanks DH.The weather doesnt seem to affect me  much. As a sweeping generalisation I tend to do better when its warm.

Went for a run. Managed 700 metres and knee played up. Took out my frustration on the rower and 'blasted' out a 5k in 22.20. I dont think I've ever sweated so much in my life. I've finally got out of the bottom 25% of rowers in my category, an achievement of sorts.
    For the stats minded, this gave me a VO2 of 55.9, which frankly I dont believe but I'd very much like to.

PS looking on Strava for the first time in ages, I noted that Cal that you are struggling big time. Many commisserations. Sometimes I get so fixated on my own problems I fail to notice others'.
  • Options
    Good to keep up the base fitness even on a rower John. I've never done a proper test on a rower, well we done some pre-season HIIT work where they made us do 3 mins all out to see how far you got but I can't remember how far I got... Useless story really... 

Yesterday was 8x500 + 5x200, my previous attempt at 10x400 + 5x200 was a disaster so pleased to get through it on target with proper jog recoveries... Muscles ache a little today as well but strangely not as much as disaster attempt which puts emphasis on jog recoveries not walking
  • Options
    Morning

Upps neglecting the thread a bit again.

Great to see JB drop in again.  Good to see the parkrun in a good time but not so great the knee played up.   Never tried a rower myself - if you discount the ancient one lurking at my PILs (about 30 years old.. you should see the exercice bike)..

You are running well DH.     I think the weather has a big role to play.  You can acclimatize to it to some extent but it takes time.  Some of it is likely just mental as well, thoughts like oh god it is too windy, cold, hot, sunny whatever on going out of the door don't really help especially for tough runs.  Definitely guilty of that.  

Pretty constant mileage for me in the last couple of weeks around the mid-40s.   Quite a bit of slow-steady stuff but one decent HM in training with 8 miles at what used to be my MP.  Shorter intervals on Wednesday with 5 x 600m due to a longer hilly run on Tuesday.  This morning I did just under 7 miles at recovery pace other than 1k which I did a bit faster to wake the legs and mind up a bit. 

My watch decided to give up last week so I had to buy a new one.  I was pretty happy with my Coros Apex so got the Apex 2.  Seems to do ok so far, I haven't investigated the new features much though.     

Race tomorrow - first since May so out of practice a bit.  A 5.3k - never done such a short distance before, I think the shortest was 7.5k.  Likely will be a rush off much too fast and blow up effort!  I really must make sure I don't set off in the stampede off the start. 
  • Options
    Yeah John, injured again and it's a frustrating one. But you're not wrong about getting fixated on your own stuff. I've been bemoaning my luck but found out today one of my clubmates died on Friday - bright girl and only 27. (It was in the news as she was one of the top Covid scientists despite being so young). Came off her bike on a trail and landed on her head. Awful.
  • Options
    Really sorry to here that Cal it's always sad when it's someone especially young... Hope you are getting better ?

How'd your race go Hazel ? 

Weather is all over the shop at the minute. Wet, humid, sunny, windy, only thing it's not is cold...

Completed a 4x4k at MP yesterday, or should have been, went a bit quick on 90% of them and topped it off with an extra 1k CD to make it upto HM length. Looked back comparing last run time I done than back in January and Strava effort from 219 > 178 with HR 6 beats lower so at least that one shows progress ! 
  • Options
    Another speed session bagged yesterday, another slight progression with additional time added to each rep. Endurance is certainly going forward or feels like it... 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your clubmate Cal.  Much too young.

Looks like progress there DH.  Well done.

My race was ok - I bagged 2nd/28 in my age group and 23:01 for 5.3 k in the official results.  Looks ok on paper, especially as my age group was 35-49 and I am right at the end of that.  In reality I set off too fast and got progressively slower - I had to drag myself over the last km.  Conditions were tough - it was very warm and very humid, on top the sun came out just as we were about to start.  It promptly went back in again at the end of the race!

Racing again this evening - 10.5k this time and much warmer conditions, around 30 degrees - now that is going to be fun..  Will be a get round it affair.
  • Options
    Great progress, DH.
    Hope you did OK, Hazel - not easy. Glad it's not so hot here.

Anyway, hopeful news after the weekend setback. Walking became more comfortable and I decided to change a Jeff today. Three miles, 2 mins run/1 min walk. Not exactly free of discomfort but everything was manageable. SI joint was a bit grumpy - hamstring tendon only noticeable when walking. Running was actually more comfortable. So I'm going to see how the body reacts and it if doesn't throw a strop I will Jeff parkrun on Saturday and go from there.
  • Options
    Good to see you out Jeffing Cal - sounds somehow positive but please take it easy (also with non-running activities) to see how your body copes with it.  I remember you have jeffed your way back into it in the past - likely a good way forward.

I DNSed it yesterday I'm afraid.  I was pre-registered and went to look at the conditions but I overheated badly just walking from the car to race HQ (about 5mins).  I did a very short jog to begin a warm-up but that was it.  I have suffered quite a lot recently with breathing and stomach issues and I don't think I would have got to 2k without having to hit the the panic button.  I think quite a lot of it is psychological but I can't get out of it at the moment.  I see some people mentioned running PBs even on their strava feed but I don't have the courage at the moment to even try to get round.  It has been a pretty shit year racewise so far (the 4th in a row) and I am getting ever closer to hanging up my shoes to be honest.  

Tried to salvage something this morning with a go at 10miles progressive - nothing too speedy and should be within my capabilities but I couldn't complete the last km - again lungs and stomach said no.  It was warm and humid again but still - that used to be my MP and left me panting like a dog at what felt like intervalls effort.

Either I go out in the mornings now then or not at all - heatwave with 30+, very warm nights and no end in sight.  I have an HM in just over two weeks FFS.  
  • Options
    I think so too. When I had the same injury in 2021, I started back with a 2 mile run, then 3, then 5, and it was too much and I needed more time off. I resumed with Jeffing a month later and that worked better, so fingers crossed. 

Really don't blame you for the DNS. You wouldn't have enjoyed that even if you'd pushed through. I hope the weather calms down a bit for you...it's mid-20s here which is tolerable. Make me glad to be on an island.
  • Options
    Jeffed my local parkrun - 4 run/1 walk this time. Hope I didn't progress too quickly. A little achy but manageable - no stabby pains. Humid though.
  • Options
    Up to 6 mins run/1 walk today. I took the running parts much slower than the parkrun and it wasn't bad in terms of aches and pains but I feel unfit. Still hoping I can manage Ealing half in 5 weeks but, well, it won't be a fast one if I do it.
  • Options
    Seems the jeffing is working.   :)  Could well be a solution for Ealing if you do do it.

Struggling with the heat / humidity - will be with us until at least Friday.  Record temps and no. of hot days in a row for the time of the year.    I am reduced to going out only for running in the mornings or if I absolutely have to.  I'm calling it heat lockdown.

Pointless in trying to do any speedwork - any run leaves me dripping in sweat so I am happy to do the slower range of my paces and feel pleased to get round rather than pushing it and nearly panicking that I can't breathe.  7.5 miles on Saturday and 14.3 m on Sunday - good to go over the HM distance though I did judge my route a bit wrong and if I had run the whole thing I would have ended up with a proper long run.  I felt this was too big a jump in mileage and walked the remaining bit.  

5.3 in the woods this morning at recovery pace.  
  • Options
    Cal, OMG, that's just awful news. Puts things into perspective though.

Hazel, that's a very decent race performance. Well done.

DH, your current training is sounding good.

I did my 2nd post layoff parkrun. 21.25 was a minute better thanthe previous one, and had a decent 80% plus AG. But Mrs JB said she'd never seen me look so rough at the end of a 5k, so the base fitness isnt there.

Knee is improving (very)gradually.

Sorry, wrote this last week and didnt press post.

Hazel, it sounds like you are really struggling in the heat. Worse still it sounds as though you are going through a bit of a motivation crisis.
    I'm sure you'll emerge from it and put together a sequence of competitive events.

Cal, your struggle sounds more physical and I can see you chomping at the bit to get back into serious action. Sounds like you are proceeding in a sensible fashion, but that upcoming HM could be a bit of a stretch?

DH, was that 219 your peak HR? Sounds a bit scary but maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick? Are you now training for a specific event? Speed work implies short eg 5k?

I've logged another parkrun. A club awayday at Horsham. We descended mob handed on a nice undulating park.  This was an internal race determined by AG and my 79.1% prevailed...just!

I'm ridiculously light on training and the aerobic capacity must be diminishing. But maybe over 5k you can get away with it.

The knee is responding to exercises but still needs TLC. 

• Options
    Nice to see you back, JB. I've done Horsham - it's a mixed bag in terms of surface but I quite liked it. Although the winter Horsham course is in a different park - I've not done that one as it's a good way from the station, versus the summer park which is right next to it.

Incidentally, I seem to be going through a similar eye thing. Started getting peripheral eye flashes on Tuesday so I've got an optician appointment in an hour. The flashes have stopped but got a few extra floaters so it seems to be an age thing where the vitreous tugs on the retina and then some stuff breaks away.  But I'll know when they look at my eye.  I hope it's just an annoyance rather than anything potentially serious.

Hazel, I guess the woods are a bit cooler. It's not so bad here but still mid twenties and warm and sticky at night which is affecting my sleep. I hope things get better for you soon.

Just back from 5 miles of 9 run/1 walk. (I know after doing 2, 4 and 6 minute intervals the last three times, 8 would've been the logical next step, but the maths are a lot easier with 9/1 :lol:). Gorgeous morning so my original plan to stick with 4 miles got extended. No ill effects, though still not 100% discomfort free. (Then again I can't remember when I last had a run that was entirely free of discomfort - there is always something grumbling). Anyway, it was ignorable.