Options

Another Newbie!

Comments

• Options

Hi everyone, and hi to beginner gal,

You all sound in quite high spirits! Just came on to say half excited, half scared bout GNR, will be chuffed when finished, the atmosphere will be amazing and good to be there, when usually watching it on tv. I will be at the front with the Kenyans lol!

Havent had alot of time recently to train, last was 10 miler on 14th, did circuits and milling at work today if anything. Running for children with leukamia.

Good luck to all who are doing it and ur training.

Sam

• Options

Bummer - I did the 3k run this afternoon but had to walk it and thus came in almost last! 

As it was for a childrens charity, most of the participants were children, some with their parents.  There weren't many people there, maybe 100 or so.  At beginning all the kids went shooting off.  We had decided to power walk to the top of the incline at the beginning and then start to run, but by the time we got there the front of my shins were really painful.  Behind us were just a couple of mums with pushchairs, everyone else was in front, but my shins were so painful I couldn't contemplate running.  My trainer gave me some tips for helping to ease the pain, and we stopped and did some more stretching, but it wouldn't ease at all, so we ended up just walking, though at a fast pace for me - works out at 15.5 mins a mile, which is faster than I've done before.

Think I started off too quickly - seeing all the kids flying past made me panic and go too fast.  I have had this pain before - not when exercising, usually when I'm late for a meeting and am rushing about.

So although I did it in under 30 mins which was my goal, I still feel a bit deflated at not actually running at all.

• Options

Hold your head up high beginner gal, you finished rather than giving up and still did it in under your goal time.  Don't worry about not running as such, notch it up as good experience.  You'll be better prepared next time around.  And, even the most seasoned runners can go shooting off too fast at the beginning of a race, I speak as one who has done exactly the same myself and then paid for it in the closing stages.

Update on my weekend trek in the Lake district.  Just incredible.  Ive never been to the Lakes so was really excited on the Friday morning as we were preparing to set off.  There was 17 of us in 4 cars.  We have a good journey up there (5 & half hours) from down here in suffolk.  Booked into our youth hostel at Glenridding and went out to view our climb from base level.  All up early Saturday morning and set off after brekkie to start the ascent of Hellvelyn.  Took us about an hour and a bit to climb as far as Red Tarn then we split into 2 groups.  Having never done this sort of thing before I was going to challenge myself and try climbing up via Striding Edge but sadly although the weather was beautiful, as we went higher and higher it became more misty and very windy, peaking at 35mph.  Climb leaders decided for safety reasons that the novices should climb via Swirrel Edge instead, so we did.  Still amazing.  Once we reached summit I felt totally exhilarated.  We had to wait for the other group that trekked  across SE and then we took loads of photos.  Lost some sun by then and was so cold & windy I ended up with wind burn on my face.  Apparently we were told that wind chill at the top was -2 degrees. We then descended via a different route with stunning scenery with brooks & streams and little waterfalls. At this point sun and warmth had returned so we were virtually stripping off the layers as we walked! 

Got home Sunday teatime. Thoroughly exhausted but in awe of the beauty of the Lakes.  Woke up this morning hips totally seized up, left thigh felt like it had been kicked by a horse and my right calf (previously injured) had no ill effects whatsover, incredible!  I could waffle on for ever, but I'll stop before I send to to sleep.  Will just say that it was so successful & enjoyable that we all agreed we will get together the same weekend next year and climb Tryfan (think thats how you spell it) in north Wales.

Am resting for a couple of days and will then try an easy run as prep for 10k next sunday.

Finished........ you can wake up now! 

• Options

Hey Dara - Well done on your trek, it sounds wonderful! Tryfan in North Wales is beautiful. I've always wanted to climb it. I go to North Wales on my hols nearly every year and i love it. I did snowdon when i was a lot younger but haven't done any for years!

Beginners Gal - The important thing is 1) You finished and within the time you hoped. 2) You weren't last even though you walked. During my first race i walked a lot more than i ran but even the most accomplished runners walk when they need to. Jeff Galloway won one of his first marathons by walking a lot of it! Don't worry. Remember the only way to go is forwards.

Sam - It's getting close isn't it. I'm very nervous now and can't believe my first HM is in just 6 days. It was only a year ago i was contemplating my first 5K race! Which pen are you starting in?

• Options

Hi all,

Wow the Lakes experience sounds wonderful.

Good luck to everyone for the GNR I am so envious wish I was doing it. Don't worry just enjoy the experience.  I can't wait to do another HM.

• Options

Hey Sarah,

Dont know what pen, might help if i read all the info! Race no is 39201, and running for Children with Leukamia. The cross country league started at work today ,so did that, it was 3.5 miles so not bad, wont run again this week, just rest.

Take care

Sam

• Options

I'm feeling sick as a dog! I'm so nervous! Plus i'd not given any thought to nutrition on the day. I am getting the coach at 6.30am but i can't stomach food first thing on a morning, i can't eat on the coach cos i get travel sick! That leaves me with the option of eating once arrived and heading to start line. What foods are best? Any idea? Think i'll post this on one of the other forums as well in case anyone else has the same problem!

Sam - I'm in the final pen, pen K i believe it is. Has your stuff not arrived yet? I've had mine a couple of weeks now.

• Options
    Good luck to all that are running this weekend. Will be thinking of you guys.
  • Options

Hey Sarah,

Im in zone I, if thats any good. With ref to food, try and eat something first thing even if a banana, i also get travel sick so wouldnt be able to scoff on the transport! I eat carbs like pasta, easy on creamy sauces, or jacket pots, some protein and make sure u take on fluids so ur properly hydrated. Im also going to wolf down a cream cake after tea sat nite with the thought that i will burn it off the next day!

I also have a gel about 30 mins before the race starts, they seem to be ok, just relax and remember ur taking part in the uk's biggest half mar! No new trainers, and comfy clothing for running in and something warm for the finish, but u probably know all this so i will be quiet!

Biee for now, maybe see u

Sam

• Options

Hey sam - You must have a much faster estimated finish time than me! As long as i finish in the same day and not last i'm gonna be pretty happy with that!

Thanks Dara - I will fill you in as soon as i'm able!

• Options

I can barely believe that i'll be taking part in the one of the largest HM tomorrow. I am so nervous! Even now i'm starting to get stuff ready and thinking to myself. What have i forgotten?

On the other hand i found a great online retailer who sellers GO GELS and i've had just the best service from them. If anyone wants to try them out they are: www.powersupplements.co.uk. I ordered something yesterday and it was here this morning! Which is ace cos it was something i was trying to get hold of for tomorrow.

Anyone got there ballot results from London yet? I got mine but obviously i already know i've got a place.

• Options

...well, how did it go Sarah/Sam?  Watched some of the highlights a little while ago and it looked fab.  You guys were so lucky with the weather.  As I was running my 10k I did think of you and had fingers crossed that you'd be ok and be injury free.  Hope thats so.

My 10k was a complete washout.  Expected turnout was meant to be in the region of 2000 and I doubt actual was anywhere near.  It was raining as we started and got worse & worse as we proceeded.  My brother ran with me and he was aiming for 50mins and I was aiming for 55mins as very flat course.  By the half way turning loop my shoes were sodden and rainwater was dripping off the ends of my running leggins.  The last mile and my feet were squelching with every step (bleurgh!).  Managed a sprint finish but was then shocked to find that it had taken me 61mins.  Awful, awful time for me and was incredibly disappointed.  Only ever run over an hour for a 10k and that was my very first one nearly 2 years ago. My brother did it in 54mins but he was okay with that.  Weather was bad, but not as bad as predicted.  Got the deluge on the drive home.  Will chalk it up as an experience I suppose and get training for next race (beginning November).

Looking forward to your race reports girls  Well done.

• Options

Hi all,

How was the GNR it looked fab on TV and wished i was there. Definitely going to enter next year. Sorry i could not add any support last week but was working in Belgium and could not get online.

I have not been so lucky with the FLM ballot so will reapply next year although I am not that bothered as I enjoy the HM distance.

Dara the rain may have had an effect and wet gear weighs a ton.

• Options

Hi Everyone!

Sam - Fills us in? How was it?

As for me, how can i accurately discribe the hell i went through on Sunday? Well lets see. I had to get up at 4.30am on the Sunday to leave my house at 5.45 in order to meet the coach at 6.30am. It was freezing cold. Coach arrived at 6.40am and i headed down with my mate from work and her running club who all made me feel very welcome. As we headed down A1 we had to take a slight detour as the part of the A1 was closed but we arrived in Newcastle at 10am. Next job was to find a toilet but frankly the queues were so long a row of bushes seemed much more inviting. It was a mile walk from where the coach dropped us off to the start line and after that a mile walk from the start line to the pink pen! So before i'd even started i'd covered 2 miles! The gun went at 10:40 but we were so far back we never heard it and didn't realise the race had started until we saw movement on the big screens to one side of us. I didn't cross the start line until 11.15! The first six miles were a dream and i had no problems at all. It was a very sunny day but i had taken precaustions by putting suncream on. I had however given no thought to my head which i had left uncovered! At mile 7 i started to get a headache, thinking i must be dihydrated i started drinking more water but it didn't help. Instead it might i had to stop just past mile 8 to use a portaloo. I obviously wasn't the only desperate one as who ever went to the cubicle next to mine slammed the door so hard it knocked my water bottle to the floor. After using the toilet i straighten up and began gathering my things off the floor. I noticed i couldn't see my sun glasses and then with a sinking feeling i looked down into the toilet. Sure enough they must have fallen in when they banged the door and i'd not noticed. Now these aren't your regular toilets that use water to flush. No all there was was a blue liquid so i was forced to hose down my sunglasses with the water in my bottle! By mile 10 i noticed another problem. My hips had started to stiff up. I stop to stretch but it made no difference. I was in agony and then the blisters started.

• Options

Continued.............

The first appeared on my right heel, the second on my left and then a rather attractive one filled with water at the side of my right big toe! By now i was really struggling and had no idea what the time was as i'd my garmin battery had cut out half way through. I limped my way through the last 3.1miles and since i passed a hell of a lot of runners heading home i knew i was way behind schedule. Because i was moving so slowly when i got to the last mile and the sea front at South Shields i was totally frozen and ready to cry. I limped across the finish line unable to raise even a smile let alone my customary sprint finish. Taking out my mobile phone i was horrified to discover that my friend had been calling me as i'd been out there so long they were worried! I limped my way back onto the coach, all i wanted to do was go home. I didn't even go to the charity village. When i got to the coach my head was thumping and felt sick. My friend asked if i was okay and whilst i tried to say yes my face paled and i had to jump off the coach. I sat retching at the side of the road in the freeezing wind convinced i was gonna puke. Luckly it just quite washing over me and after 30mins i felt a lot better. We'd been told that there had been an accident in South Shields and they were struggling to get the traffic out. I asked my friend if they'd been waiting long for me and she said no but clearly they had. Whilst waitng for the traffic to move they forced a packet of salted hoola hoops down my neck in order to replenish my salt levels and made me sip water. I started to feel a whole lot better and finally the traffic moved enough for us to get on our journey. We'd just hit Durham when one of the blokes decided he needed a pee so we stopped at a service station, at which point the coach broken down! We did puch start it but whilst heading round the roundabout it became clear it was going to cut out at any time so we headed back to the services. Once there it was an hours wait for the AA, who after inspecting the mini bus for 40 mins told us the alternator had gone. Another mini bus was summond but it took 2 hours to get to us, after which it was a 2 hr drive back to where i had left my car followed by another 30min drive back to my home. I arrived home at 12.15am. Totally stiff as a bored, barely able to walk and totally peed off. I then discovered it had taken me 3hrs 40mins 57secs to complete the course. A whole hour over what i'd hoped for. I'm all also burned all over so i'm guessing i also had heat stroke. To say i'm demoralized today would be an understatement. I've never felt so bad in all my life! Might be a while before i consider the distance again and i think i need to seriously reconsider my FLM plans.

• Options

Hey everyone,

OMG Sarah what a nightmare day u had, but after all that u did it! I thought i had it bad with getting up before six and having to stand up on the train to newcastle! Just me and my matey Lisa did it, and another girl was chief bag carrier, she met us at the charity village. And yes we were blessed with the weather. I felt really good doing it, working of the choccy pud from the night before! It took us 20 mins to reach the start, were in green zone, but next year will go in one with a quicker time. Finished in 2 hrs and 3 mins. Felt really sick a while after, had scoffed a flapjack and recovery drink, it soon passed tho, got back to Catterick at 1730 u must have been shattered when u got back, hope u got good nites recovery sleep, and lucky you for getting a ballot place on FLM , i didnt but applied to charity for whom i ran GNR. Dont give up, you will only get better, FLM is a fair few months off yet, so loadsa time for trg. Im def going to stay over in Newcastle next yr. Will be applying in ballot for next yrs GNR in Jan. Well done tho.

Dara, Sorry bout ur washout,  Def put down to experience tho and at least ur looking to the next race. My next one is 19th Oct, just 10 km also, but its down the road from me in Richmond and its very hilly, so i see it as being quite tough and challenging on my legs!

Posh how did it go?

Biee for now

Sam

• Options

Hi Sarah

New to this thread. When I read your heart felt post yesterday I really felt your disappointment I read back a bit through the thread and you have really worked hard.

What a nightmare day for you. I can really feel it as I have my first half in a couple of weeks.

I am sure it will be hard to dust yourself off but fair play to you. You overcame everything and didn't give up. Many would have. The sun thing who the hell would have expected that I certainly wouldn't. I would have been over dressed.

Take care and the next one is bound to be a PB

• Options
    Oh Sarah, mate! Dreadful day for you. Be proud that you did finish. Okay you were an hour over, but be positive (hard I know after that particular experience), next time (if you do it again) will be better.
    You've worked so hard and you gave the best you could on the day. Chin up and keep trying!

Sam - Well done to you. Thats a very good time. My friend lives in Putney and she's always telling me about races in and around Richmond and trying to get me to come down for the weekend to take part and stay over. Can you recommend any that are coming up in the area in the next couple of months or so?
  • Options

Sarah OMG what a dreadful day definitely sounds as if you got heat stroke. Hope you are starting to feel better now and just think you can now tell people you've completed a HM, what percentage of the population can say that?

Susie Po- Good luck for your first HM enjoy the experience and remember whatever happens you will have a PB.

• Options

Hi Everyone

Susie Po - Thank you so much for your very kind comments. They made me feel tonnes better. image

Sam - Well done on your time! Did you catch any of the coverage on BBC? My name came up on the screen but i'm still unable to find out who put it on!

Well i'm feeling a lot better this morning and i can now look back on the experience and laugh! I'm joining the running club tonight that i went down to GNR. I'm taking their beginners group and i'm quite looking forward to it. Back to basics for me.

• Options
    Oh Sarah, what a dreadful experience for you.  I know you feel bad about your finish time, but I am in complete awe of anyone who can do that distance, so to finish in any time is fantastic.  Good luck with the running club, hopefully they'll be really supportive.
  • Options

which running club are you going to Sarah? I am still trying to find one at an appropriate level. Is  it near Ackworth. Let me know how you get on, I am sure running with like minded people is the way to go.

Take a sun hat just in case!!!! congrats on not giving up.

Ruth

• Options

Well done Sarah all you can do is laugh now you will be dining out on the story of your first GNR for years, and any race in the future can only get better.

if you can get a friendly running club I can definitely recommend it they are very supportive and encouraging.

Thanks RB I need all the luck I can get as a bit daunted.

• Options

Dara,

Im in Richmond in North Yorks not London way! But hope u find some races down the other Richmond way.

Sam

• Options
    Hi Sam, ha ha, doh! Obviously lost concentration somewhere along the way there. North Yorks would be rather a long way just for a 10k!

How are you GN Runners feeling now almost a week on from the big day?

After my weekend washout Ive had to buy new runners as old ones gone to shoe heaven. Can't believe how worn they really were (and totally sodden to the point I couldn't dry them out). Inner cushioning was paper thin. But, am now bouncing around in new Air Pegasus + shoes (I am SOOOooo a Nike girl). Hoping to do 6mls tonight to prove to myself I can do better than last sunday.

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Options

Hi Ruth - I tried to email you but it wouldn't let me! I've joined Tickhill Running Clubs beginners group. We've just finished week 2 and it very basic stuff at the minute. This week was run 1.5mins walk 2mins. Next week will be 2 repetitions of jog 200yards, walk 200yards, jog 400yards & walk 400yards. It's 30mins drive for me, but that may just be the way i drive! The beginners programme lasts 9 weeks and they get you to the standard where you can run continiously for 30mins (roughly 3miles). They a right nice group and if you fancy coming along, perhaps to see what the other level of runners i can send you directions or meet you somewhere where you can follow me from. If you fancy coming let me know and if you want beginners course i'll check there's room. Link for club is www.tickhillrunningclub.co.uk The cost is £10.

The group was fine although i have to say i felt quite breathless despite only running for a minute and a half. They do a group warm up prior to everyone setting off and i felt exhausted after that. It was a fairly cold evening and a wore a long sleaved top and one of those bright yellow JJB running jackets and i was red hot. I had to take it off and wrap it round my waist and i was still red hot. Short sleaves for me next Tuesday! And perhaps a fleece just in case it does get cold.

The pictures from the Great North Run are now online and they're every bit as bad as i feared. They don't seem to have taken a single picture of me during the first 7 miles when i was actually running! All the pictures show me walking and there are some that have been taken after i crossed the finish line and the pain in my face is clear for all to see! Have you seen yours yet Sam?

• Options

Where is everyone? Have youn all gone somewhere nice and warm?

Not much to tell you really other than the doctor thinks i might have exercise induced asthma. Dara don't you have that?

• Options

Still  here how is your running going with the club?

I have my first half now next Sunday looking at the weather don't think I will have to worry about sun stroke.

• Options

Hi all,

I'm still here just really busy with work at the moment, long hours and knackered so not getting out as much as I should. Need to put some serious training in.

Good luck with the HM Susie po and enjoy it!!

• Options

Hi folks,

Had probs at home with computer  (never ending saga, got such an old one, on its last legs and can't afford a new one!!) so only managing sneaky look whilst at work now and again. Although seems okay today.

Sarah - Yes doc did think I had sport/exercise induced asthma.  Seems only to affect me in the warmer summer months and think its probably linked to the fact that Im a hay fever sufferer; too much 'stuff' floating around in the air.  Ive not used the inhaler for some time now.  Will keep hold for March time when tree pollens start appearing.

Ive been plodding around slowly and only managing to run max of 6m.  Am struggling to get beyond this mark.  There's so much going on with work and home at the moment I think my body is telling me enough is enough!  Had a couple of days where I thought I must be coming down with something (everyone around me has had one thing or another) but luckily nothing seems to have developed for now. 

Im hoping to run a 10 mile race end of November so got a little bit of time to get into the swing.

Susie  - Good luck with your race on sunday.