Options

Another Newbie!

Comments

• Options

Sarah, trainer woman sounds a right dragon.  Just don't need that really do you, specially as you're coming on so well, nightmare!

Richard, how bad is the tear, can you walk reasonably comfortably or are you hobbling?  Can you manage stairs ok?  If you remember when I tore mine it was sheer agony to even put my foot/leg to the ground.  I would imagine gentle exercise means a little bit of stretching, ie. lifting the leg to point & flex foot just enough to feel a slight pull in the affected calf, increasing the number of flexs gradually day by day.  I was given these to keep the leg from seizing. After that as my leg became stronger physio suggested heel lifts, very very gently and building up from literally only doing 2 or 3 to 20 (repeating 2 or 3 times a day). 

NHS physio, waste of time.  15 weeks wait, ridiculous, I thought 5 weeks for me was bad enough and that was an urgent referral!  I know you're away but if there's any chance you could see someone privately I'd strongly recommend it.  I was so lucky with the guy I found, he was a real godsend.  The deep tissue massages do the trick (although bloody painful at the time!!). 

• Options

Hi Sarah,

I've just spent the past hour reading the majority of your thread - I was gripped!  You have had an incredible journey over the past 17 months. What an inspiration.

I started a walk/run programme with my friend the week after  the GNR and we are now up to r8/w2 x3 but we are finding this week really hard. We have entered a 5k santa fun run on 14/12 and would really like to run it all but frankly I will be amazed if we manage it.

Our plan is to do a 10k in May and we'd love to dun the GNR next October. Can you tell me when the  entry forms are available for it?

• Options

I started running to train for a RfL in 2005 but found it really hard to motivate myself when it got tough but this time I've got a running buddy and I can't tell you what a difference it's made.

Really hope to stick with it as I feel sooo much healthier! 

• Options
    Hi Dippy welcome to the sight, as for the GNR register on the website and they send an email notification when entry is open.

Sarah -That women at club really needs to get a life!!!

When I first damaged the leg I could not put weight on it and really struggled with stairs, not as bad at the moment. In Belfast working for the next 2 weeks so might see if if I can ge an appointment somewhere, shame because where I normally work there is a health club on the same estate with physiotherapists.
  • Options
    Thanks Richard - I'll do that!
  • Options

Hi dippy, and welcome to our little group.

I went out last night for my long run.  Was aiming for 7m with a steady pace but was struggling by 5.5m.  Managed to keep going with the aid of 2 or 3 quick stops and overall mileage was about 6.5.  Felt like my chest had caved in at one point.   Haven't used my blue inhaler since the summer months and didnt think I would need it at this time of the year. Anyway, got in, showered etc and started to feel better.  Come this morning and its a different story, legs felt like they'd been sledgehammered! 

Luckily had arranged to meet a friend today to go to a spa/sauna place not too far from where we live. She had to drive cos my legs were so sore.  Had a nice relax in the bubbly pool and after getting a good pummelling by the water jets, the relief was amazing.

Am now worrying about 10m race coming up this sunday.  Have been struggling with silly little niggles and pains for a few weeks now, on & off and thihk Ive lost confiedence in my abilities,  Worried about  my legs seizing up on route.

• Options

Dito Dippy

Dara you will be ok I think it's just in our heads that we doubt ourselves, try to be positive. I came off the back of a good 10 mile race and a good couple of sessions with the club to going out Saturday and struggling to do 10k, stopped after 9km  and I have a 10 k race on Sunday. It was supposed to be a practice one. You would think it was the first time I ran. I am sure it is some sort of running god who every time you finally think yes I am a runner they think I will show you and knock you down to size.

Sarah hope the running club improves for you because they will be the making of you and your running if you can keep it up and put up with that woman.

Tough luck Rich!

• Options

Thanks so much for the welcome guys.

Went out tonight dreading  r10/w2 x2 but it was fantastic!!  I felt like I could have gone on and on, in fact stopping for 2 mins in the middle made the second 10 mins harder because I had to find my stride again.

Not sure what made the difference but it might have been the banana I had an hour before I ran.  I just had sooo  much energy. I had scrambled egg on toast about 20 mins before Saturday's r8/w2 and I felt awful - it was a real struggle so I'm really glad tonight went well!

No doubt Wednesday's attempt will put me firmly back in place image

• Options

Dara - Don't worry I had the same experience the week before my 1st HM and totally blew my confidence. You will be fine!

Well done dippy.

• Options

I think this might be our 1000th post!

Dara - Your gonna be fine. We all know you can do it and you know you can do it. You'll be fine. Just don't forget your jelly babies and get a few puffs on your inhailor before you go just in case.

Hey Dippy - Your looking good! I made the same mistake and had scambled egg with toast about 40mins before my run on saturday and i felt so sick!

Out again last night with the group and this time i did the full 3mile circuit. The annoying woman was sent ahead to run with the faster lot so i never had to see her! But the other slower woman who had been suck with her last week didn't turn up. I hope she hasn't been put off. Not sure if i will be fit enough to run on Thursday night as i have developed a tickly cough and although it didn't bother me last night i can remember what they say about running and illness.

• Options

Congratulation Sarah sounds like a running club is the way to go and great news that the nightmare wasn't there (was thinking of something stronger). I have been looking at running clubs but not got round to joining as Ihave been working away during the week for the last couple of months. Once my leg is repaired I will deifinitely join. 

• Options

Sarah there was an article on the website about running with a cold and it seems it is beneficial as long as you don't have a fever. Have attached the link.

Cold Comfort

• Options

Didn't get out tonight as training partner couldn't make it and I'm too much of a wimp to go on my own - did na hour of weights an pilates and I think I may just be dead!!

Sarah, hope the cold shifts soon.

Good luch Dara, I'll be rooting for you! 

• Options

Hello everyone,

Its only me, Dara.  Ive changed to a nickname.  Thought I could come up with something clever and witty but I couldn't, so have gone with nickname used in some social circles.   

Still struggling and really don't know what to do about sunday's race.  Have been trying to avoid lurgy; sick house again, husband and both boys have had nasty stomach virus and now youngest has got tonsilitis!  Weather looking bit dodgy for sunday too, snow expected.  Do like races but not that much!

Will go out tonight for probably 5m and see how I feel.  

• Options

Don't know what happend but I stopped getting the email notifications of posts on the forums, and have been busy and completely forgot to come and check what everyone's up to. 

Sarah: it sounds like your running club is really helping.  You're doing brilliantly.

I haven't walk/jogged much lately, but last time was quite pleased that I took 28 secs off my previous best time (I only do a mile, so 28 secs I'm pleased with).  I really didn't fancy going out but tried some EFT I learned on a one-day course last year and it really seemed to help.

• Options

Doris - Did you brave the snow and if so how did you get on?

Hi BG I had the same problem with notification a few months ago.

I am still out of action, can't really do much except gentle walking so getting really bored.

• Options
    Hi BG - 28 secs sounds pretty good to me. Keep going, well done.

Richard - Being out of action is awful when all you want to do is get out there, can really empathise. I didn't run on sunday, to be honest it was purely the weather that put me off. We had so much snow locally and the wind made it bitterly cold, just couldn't face it. My brother ran and he said there was a significant number of no-shows. Both my boys were meant to be playing football but all games were cancelled.

Hoping to get a quick run in tonight if not too wet/cold. Its sleeting right now but think it is meant to clear for later.

Re the name change; didnt realise it would change all past posts, thought it would just activate from the date I did it. Oh well.

• Options

Hi All,

Hard luck with the injuries. Can empathise with you Dara/Doris I did a 10k on Sunday and there was supposed to be 1000 entrants but most of us were huddled under a gazebo made for a small back garden before the race. Didn't appear to be 1000.

Conditions were rotten, wind cold snow ice mud and rain. It took a mile for my feet to defrost. It was also hilly. Couldn't believe I managed to take 50 seconds of my last 10k in August which was a lovely day and flat. Tuesday now and trainers still not completely dry.

I was questioning my own sanity.

Good luck with your club Sarah and here is to getting out there. I am hoping the cold weather will help me appreciate the warmer weather in the summer. Usually I moan about the heat.

• Options

(sneaks back in looking abashed image)

Hello folks. I've been away from here for a while, and away from running but finally plucked up courage to come back on and hope you guys will keep me on the straight and narrow again!

I kind of fell off the wagon after my RfL in May and done very little running since. I also had little access to t'internet. Maybe if I'd kept coming on here I would have kept running. Oh well.

So tonight I went out for my first run in about  2 months. Blimey it was hard. I knew I wouldn't be able to pick up where I left off, but I managed just under 20 mins r5, w1 (about 2 k) and then walked for another 10 mins. It was raining, flipping freezing but I felt good afterwards. So I know that can manage the rubbish weather which means hopefully I won't talk myself out of it next time.

I have the day off on Tuesday so I might try and go running during the day and see what happens.

Hope you are all well.

• Options

Howdee stranger, good to see you back!

Nice to hear you're getting back into it all again.  Ive been very up & down of late myself.  Seems to be more and more difficult to keep any sort of form.  Can't seem to run much further than about 5 or 6m before Im totally exhausted.  Hasn't put me off completely, just not running as far or as much. 

Last run was on saturday afternoon having not been out for about a week.  Managed a comforatble 4m before temp dropped rapidly so called it a day.  Been bit stressful at work and also been busy swotting for exam  so heart not really in it.  Hoping to go tomorrow night and might be out with my eldest boy; we've not run together since before I injured my calf earlier in the year. Perhaps that will get me back in the swing. 

• Options

Hi Dara/Doris! (It took me a little reading back through the forum to catch up!)

5 or 6 m is fantastic! I only hope that one day I can catch up!

I hope the exam goes well and work doesn't get too bad. I'm meant to be writing a job application but am procrastinating in favour of drawing up some kind of training plan!

Maybe a change of pace and a running buddy will helpyou get back on track like you said. And the weather will be kinder than last time(fingers crossed).

• Options

Just back from my run, which I did minus my eldest (he decided it was too cold for him having had games/PE at school this afternoon during which it had rained). 

Well, yes it was cold actually but I found it quite invigorating and my body obviously agreed as I had a great run. Did 4.5 m in tad under 42 mins which is such an improvement over the last few weeks.  Felt like I wanted to explode when I mapped the route, kept thinking I can't have done it in that time. Haven't managed 10 mm (ish) for such a long time.  Don't know if I'll ever get back to 9.5mm, but this a a strong step in the right direction.

Now off to devour some chilli and garlic bread which my hubby has cooked and relax (with a bit of luck might get my feet massaged too!)  image 

• Options
    Re above, maths is out. Had been a long day, never mind.

Felt shattered this morning, tossed and turned all night & kept having strange vivid dreams - must have been the chilli etc!
  • Options

Was going to go running on Tuesday evening, but far too cold by the time had I had chance to. It had rained and then frozen so roads were like ice rink. Busy yesterday so finally got out there today.

Managed my 30 mins of  r5,w1 which I was very happy with as didn't give up like last time. Right leg felt achey when got home so stretched out whilst waiting for dinner to cook and is ok now.

So next plod will be Saturday I hope. Lots going on, and should really do some christmas shopping but want to run during daylight hours. Might try an early morning one, but I am hopeless at getting up in the morning! Any tiips welcome!

Hope all are well and the chilli isn't continuing to give you hallucinations Doris!

• Options

OMG its freezing cold down here!

Went out Friday night and managed just over 5m in 51mins; seem to have recovered a bit of my old form, but don't want to speak too soon. Was going to go out for a longish run this morning but ts soooooo cold.  Had a severe overnight frost and even at 11am this morning it was still only 1 deg according to my temp monitor in my car.  Gave up on the running and went to get some petrol instead!

• Options

Hi all,

Great to hear everyone is still managing to get out here despite the great British weather.

My first 5k is on Sunday and I'm really looking forward to it but kinda dreading it too if that makes sense.

My training has been going pretty well. I started doing the R/W programme on this website on 12th October and am now up to R15 / W1 x2.

BUT...what I can't understand, is how I managed to run for a full 38 minutes last Tuesday in the dark in freezing conditions but still felt like I could have gone on yet today when my cold had almost gone, it was daylight AND relatively warm I could barely run for 12 minutes before having to have a walk break.  I had a stitch under my left ribs that just would not budge and my breathing wouldn't settle into a rhythm.

I thought once I had managed to run for 30 mins continuosly that I would be able to do it every time.

Any thoughts anyone?

• Options

Hey everyone!

Sorry i haven't been around for a while but i've had a chest infection so was unable to run for a couple of weeks and only started back last Tuesday. The cold weather is killing me! I have a coughing fit everytime i go out in a morning. Total nightmare. Well the beginners course finished last Tuesday so i went out with the main group on Thursday. I don't think i released how slow i was until i went out with them. I lost sight of the group within about 5 mins and even my mate Gemma was up and off! She's really improved. Luckily i wasn't on my own as two of the other slower runners were behind me and a guy called Tony from the main club runners stayed with me which i thought was very kind since he's quite a fast runner. Anyway i did 5.31K in 44mins so i'm quite chuffed with that! Roll on the good weather!

• Options

Well done Sarah.  Having come back after a chest infection you should be chuffed with that time!  image

Im gonna give a go in about an hour's time.  Temp has dropped again, there's a real nip in the air.  Don't know how I'll be as had a visit to the dentist this morning and my teeth are a bit zingy..  I chipped a tiny bit of a filling a couple of months back.  Although Ive not had any problems pain-wise Ive noticed that in this cold weather the tooth has become really sensitive so thought it best to get it seen to.  Nearly had heart failure when a quick 3 or 4 minute procedure resulted in a £44.60 bill.image  Didn't even need to drill, just tiny fill.  Sadly though, dentist has noticed that one of my wisdom teeth has cracked (??) and says it will probably need to be extracted at some point in the future otherwise I could end up with an abscess.

Dippy, congrats on progressing so well with the training programme.  Good luck with sunday's 5k; you'll be brilliant.  Be a little careful about not starting out too quickly.   So easily done when you suddenly see everyone charging off.   Stay in control, stick to a pace you are comfortable with, stop and walk if you need to but most of all, enjoy the experience.  Go dippy!

• Options
    Thanks for the support Doris. I'll let you know how I get on.
  • Options

Good luck Dippy with your race.

Wrote a long post then lost it so here goes a shorter version.

I have ran 5 races since 26th Oct a half marathon a 10 miler a 10k and a 5 mile cross country. Did ok in them all went out yesterday and ran 4k and felt like it was the first time I had run.

That's the way it goes somethimes.

Well done Sarah for keeping motivated. Good news Dara that your getting back to your best. Richard how is your injury?

Dippy as Doris says pace yourself don't go out too fast and you will be fine.

Just enjoy the day.