Options

Another Newbie!

Comments

• Options

I have only recently started running (and posting on here), am currently doing 2 or 3 laps around the block of about 1.5 miles each (very slowly) - have decided though that despite it being a circuit it is uphill all the way - go figure!!!

• Options

Brrrr, it's sooo cold!!

Just got back from carol service, and toes are frozen! Not at all inclined to go out, roads have been like an ice rink all day. Am scared to run in case I fall over (something i'm very good at doing - crap balance) and break/damage something.

Eating junk food, so I think I will have to do some circuit training indoors to keep up the effort levels. I do feel pretty smug though - got into a size 16 skirt on Saturday image Was size 20 before.

sorry, am so smug about it!

Hope everyone's doing ok.

• Options
    Your allowed to be smug well done.
  • Options

Yep, smugness definitely encouraged and in fact obligatory!

Well done

• Options
    Yes,well done Allybee. Be as smug as you like, deserve it on such a achievement.

Went out last night and boy was it cold. Not so much icy roads, but there was an evil wind our way. Id get round a corner and suffer the full blast. Ran in 3/4 length leggins and my legs were totally red and chapped looking (not a pleasant sight to behold!). Other half thought I was mad to go out having only been to corner shop a little earlier and came back looking like he'd had an arctic adventure.
    Anyway, pleased that Id done about 4.5 m, don't think I could have gone any further to be honest.

Am out tomorrow night for our work christmas dinner. Looking forward to it as the restaurant is very good. No running for a few days after me thinks, I fully intend to over indulge just this once!
  • Options

Hey everyone! Hope everyone is recovering from the various ailments that have been bothering us all. Went out with the club last night, felt quite inadequate really. 5 of us went out together on our own while the main group did something called a pyramid?? They decided to up mileage and go for 4miles, which i managed but i was sooooooooooo far behind them all. When we went round corners i lost sight of them and a couple of times they even had to come back for me. I was really thinking why have i joined a club only to run on my own? I'll have to take my mp3 player tomorrow just to keep me from going crazy!

Allybee  - That's an incredible achievement! I don't know how far back you read prior to joining by when i started running i was an 18/20 and over a year down the line i'm still a 16/18! The exercise i have no problems with but i can't seem to get to grips with the dieting or cutting down. What have you done? Diet or just cut down?

• Options

Not run for a few days and probably won't for another few.  Had to go back to dentist again and have a wisdom tooth removed! 

No idea how I did it but it cracked and literally half the tooth fell out of my mouth.  Was seen urgently on Friday morning by the oral surgeon and he managed to remove the remainder without having to sedate me.  Two local anaesthestics did the trick and it was out!  Have been advised not to run for a at least 48 hours as gums very sore.  Feel like Ive been punched but luckily no black eye or anything, phew.  

Dippy, how did your race go?

Sarah - Hang on in there with the running club.  However, I would question the fact that everyone dashed off and left you.  Think that someone should agree to run at your pace and encourage and support you to bring you up to speed, especially if they've upped the mileage..

• Options

Thanks guys!

Sarah, I've been going to weightwatchers. Has helped immensely - i need to be kept an eye on! Portion control is the main thing which has helped. Also realise I can't kkep treats in  the house. Scoffed a 6 pack of lemon slices yesterday! They were low fat, but even so it wasn't good! So I have to accept that I can't have it in the house or it will end up in my belly!

I hope the running club gets better - am surprised they didn't set pace to slowest group member. That's what has put me off going to my local running group - they say they accept all-comers including beginners, but worried that I'll be left miles behind. Perhaps is worth having quiet word with leader before session, see if they will set everyone at your pace.

Doris, you poor thing! I hope you're feeling a bit better - I broke a tooth on a piece of toast at work a few years ago (don't know what they used to do with it, but it was like concrete!), make sure you get lots of tlc and pampering.

Yes Dippy, tell us how your race went!

Went out tonight for first time in a week as has been so icy. Just did 30 minutes nonstop - covered about 2 m/3.2 k. Very very chuffed. Was going to do r8/w1 but felt like keeping going (maybe guilt for not having been out for ages?!). Followed a 5k route and walked the remainder as my cool down. Finished whole circuit in 46 mins. So all is good and I'm planning for Tuesday (I think my legs would protest at an outing tomorrow). Will probably have to be early morning as it's our work christmas do in the afternoon/evening. I will be driving no temptation to drink - weigh in on wednesday.

Hope everyone is ok.

• Options

Went to early morning swimming today and did 20 lengths. Achey thighs now but feel quite virtuous (all to be undone at tomorrow's work party!)

Have been mooching around boards today and looking for advice on trousers. My trackie bottoms are getting a bit old and tired, and everyone seems to be suggesting tights. Eek! The thought of sporting lycra does not appeal! Have ordered a pair of tights and found a pair of non cotton trackies off various websites so will have an alternative if the tights are just too horrific. Went for a cheapie pair as did't want to spend buckets on ultra high tech tights that I'm too scared to wear. Also bought more socks and another windproof jacket. I love payday!

• Options
    To be honest i'm not sure if me and my mate will go back. It just doesn't seem as much fun now we're part of the main group. We didn't go yesterday, i dunno really i'll have to talk it over with her.
  • Options

Doris - hope the jaw feels better soon

Allybee - I know how you feel. I've got 3/4 length lycra affairs which I wear under trackies. I think they look ok on their own but

a) it's too cold

b) I'd be convinced everyone was looking at my bum (in reality I'm sure no one could care less)

Race went quite well. My poor running buddy was really ill on the day but insisted on going bless her (she has since been diagnosed with bronchitis and is on antibiotics) so she would walk 100m and run 100m will I kept jogging along beside her (I was determined not to walk).

We finished in 43mins which wasn't great but at least I know I can shamble along for 8 mins longer than I ever have before!

The guy that won ran it in less than 20 mins PUSHING A 3 WHEELED BUGGY complete with toddler!!!!

• Options

THey've not arrived yet, so tonights plod will be in trackies. Not heartbroken!

Well done on your race- I think that's great that you stuck with your friend rather than race off ahead. Whilst it may not be greased lightning like buggy guy, I think you should be very proud of yourself, plus it doubled up as endurance training so your stamina will improve!

Meant to be going to weighin but has been a bad week so going for a run. Which I figure isn't too bad- at least I won't be sat home scoffing chocolate, I'll be doing something about my lardarse.

Enjoy good running peeps!

• Options
    Well done Dippy, and what a good mate you are by staying with your friend. Winner in 20mins with buggy - it must have been turbo powered, reckon it pulled him along!

Not been out running but yesterday evening I played football with my youngest's team. It was their last training session of the year so kids and parents played a game. Had so much fun. Screamed/laughed & shouted for nearly an hour and today Im hoarse and my legs ache like you wouldn't believe. Also have corker of a bruise on my knee/thigh where I deflected a shot at goal. Good time was had by all. May need to leave it a couple of days before running though, need to recover!
  • Options

Good for you Doris - getting fit without realising you're doing it is the best way of all!

I'm feeling a bit guilty that I haven't run all week. My buddy i still recovering and I'm too much of a wimp to run in the dark on my own. If she's not up to a short run by the weekend I will invest in a cheap MP3 player to distract me from the voice in my head that tells me I can stop 'cos I'm a bit tired!

Allybee and Doris. I'm really flattered that you think I had it in me to 'race off ahead' in the fun run - trust me, that wasn't the case!!

• Options

Nice one Doris - war wounds are evidence of hard work! Sounds like you had a great time! Hope you've recovered.

Dippy, don't feel guilty, we all need a break every now and then. Hope you manage to get out this weekend. If you don't like running with an mp3 player, find a nice run with good scenery. When I first started I didn't use one and I just kept visualising where I wanted to be and telling myself to move my fat arse! (under my breath of course so passersby didn't think I was barmy!)

I have to confess my 30 min run became 20 mins last night when I was invited to the pubimage. Went to early morning swimming today, and will do extra on Sunday to make up for it!

Sarah, have you made any decisions about your running group? Are you going to continue, or call it a day?

• Options

Hey Allybee - I spoke my friend Nicky B who originally told me about the club. When i told her i was thinking of not coming back she said i must because concerns like this need to fetched up. The problem appears to be that tghey don't get any volunteers to run behind with the slower ones lke me which means inevitably the same ones end up doing it week in week out which in turn starts to effect their training. Now i totally understand that. No one wanst to build up and then end up back down at the bottom again and i don't want to be a burden to the team, it is after all about having fun. Nicky has told me that this is a common theme that comes up again and again. The ones who take the beginners course and have no problems end up joining the club whilst the ones like me who are much slower end up dropping out because they get fed up of running alone. She has asked me to take my conerns to the meeting so that we can fingers crossed avoid situations like this. Plus Nicky is worried that with no runners like me and to a certain extent her the group could become focused purely on elite runners which was never the ethos of the club. I have suggested that perhaps they need an intermediate group to follow on from the beginners. Anyway she has made me promise to turn up on Tuesday so i can tell them what i think. Watch this space!

Dippy - I know exactly what you mean about the guy with the toddler in the buggy. In my first ever 5K race i had tro run at what seemed like a 4 minute mile pace to over take a guy not only pussdying a 3 wheeled bugger but with a 5 year old running beside him! I just couldn't not have taken the taunts from my brother if they had beaten me!

• Options

Hope the meeting goes well Sarah. It sounds like there are people in the club who are keen to encourage club newbies, and perhaps they just need to hear a perspective from the other side to help them understand.

Could they set up some sort of rota system so that it's not the same people each week so then no ones training suffers?

Hope all are well

• Options

Hi everyone and a big hello to Phil,

I still have not been out, calf seems better but have not had a chance to test it out as been laid up with the flu. The whole family has had it  with my wife stil suffering. Will hopefully get out soon though.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Options

Hi guys n gals.  Isn't it all so manic right now!  Have got the headless chicken scenario going on at the moment; so much to do and so little time.

Haven't been out running since last week. Flu/colds have hit my family too although Ive been lucky (!!) only to have had a sore throat for a few days where as the rest have come off a lot worse.  Don't want to push my luck and over do it so am waiting until after boxing day to run.

Don't know when I'll get next chance to post on here so Merry Christmas to you all and best wishes for a happy and healthy 2009.  Lets hope the new year  spurs  us on to bigger and better (and faster!). image

• Options

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Keep on running.

• Options

Season's greetings all! Hope you all had a lovely time and are looking forward to the new year!

Manged 2 runs and one walk this week (vast improvement on last year where I think I barely stepped out the house for more than half an hour except to walk to the pub!).

Hope all are keeping well and the various ailments/flu/colds are on their way out.

• Options

Happy New Year everyone.

I've done quite well this festive season as well in terms of activity.  Have done 3 walk/runs this past week, been to the gym today and am feeling quite smug about it all.  For once I'm not dreading the New Year thinking I really must shift some weight and get fit because I already have lost some weight and am fitter than I was a year ago.  OK, I want to shift a bit more weight and get even fitter, but I'm on the way already and that's the main thing.

Hope 2009 is a good one for everyone.

• Options

Well done beginner gal! You deserve the smugness!

If you have kept  up the effort over the festivities, there's no reason why you won't succeed next year. I felt pretty happy with exercise this week, and then ate several packets of galaxy mistletoe kisses tonight (reduced in tesco). Whoops.

Must keep plodding...

• Options

Nevermind, Allybee, it's Christmas!!  If you can't have a few indulgences at Christmas when can you. 

Am feeling even more smug today as have been to the gym and done a mini-duathlon (the reason I've started running is to be able to do a duathlon in 2009).  I did 1.5k run/walk on the treadmill, 7.5k cycle, then another 1.5k run/walk.  And it wasn't that bad.  Shins ached, but gave them a good stretch afterwards.  Now all I need to do is increase distance and hopefully speed.

• Options

Hi guys

Reading posts above; haven't you done well!  Im been thoroughly lazy in comparison.  Did have a few problems with a nasty cough that didn't want to go but am much improved last couple of days.  Went out for a 5m run just as it was getting dark this afternoon and this was first run in nearly 2 weeks.  Went very well ,surprisingly, although Im now starting to ache a bit round the hip sockets. Had to expect something after all that time resting. Can't wait for next run on Friday, Ive really missed getting out.

Hope you all have a great night tonight, whatever you do and very best wishes for a happy & healthy 2009.

• Options

Hey everyone,

Hope everyone had a wonderful christmas and a happy new year.

Well done to all you who have kept on running during the festive season. I have done nothing at all! Although i am planning on getting out and about from tomorrow. Beginners Gal well done on your mini duatholon. You must be feeling really proud of yourself. Do you have an event in mind yet or are you just waiting to see what comes along? Well i can't say i've eatedn like a pig this year, i've had no where near as much chocolate as last year but then i haven't fancied it either. So do people have resolutions this year or are you just planning on more of the same? I want to get fitter and faster. But then i am so slow that getting faster should be a fairly achievable goal even if i only improve by a minute!

• Options

Hi guys

Up until today I had only been out for 4 (not great) runs since my race on 14th Dec. My friend  thought she had recovered from her bronchitis so came out running but she still coughs a lot and had to stop several times on our last run out. I have suggested she goes back to her GP but I haven't heard if she has or not yet.

Anyway (and I'm sorry but this is REALLY selfish), I have been feeling really fit so I was quietly really frustrated at having to stop so often. I haven't said anything to my friend because I'm really grateful that she runs at all but still...

That was until today. I bought my daughter's MP3 player off her (she didn't use it) and loaded it then this morning I went out on a 3 mile route. I was really nervous about going out on my own because while I've been running out with my friend I have known that at some point we would stop but today it was all down to me.

The first half mile felt AWFUL and I had almost convinced myself that I would have to stop but I just kept moving. I had only done that distance twice before, once just before the race and race day itself.

Feel so chuffed that I managed it. Hopefully my friend wil be better soon so we can train for a 10k in May.

• Options

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!! image

Looks like a great start to the new year with all this training. I went out last Sunday but only managed 2 miles with a lot of spluttering and still chesty so trying to shake that.

• Options

Back to work today after the christmas break and Im exhausted already.  Too many late nights and far too much eating & drinking!  Was going to run tonight but to be honest its so cold I can't face it.  Will make a concerted effort and go out tomorrow morning instead.  Legs still a tad stiff after wednesday but sure they'll be fine once Ive stretched out tomorrow.

My brother has entered a HM in Feb and wants me to join him but Ive not done anywhere near that sort of mileage in such a long time that Ive had to decline.  Am going to start looking for 10k's in the near future and try and build up to 10 milers again by easter.  I don't make new years resolutions as such but this is something to aim for. 

• Options

Oh dear, I've done it now.  I've actually entered a duathlon!!  It's in April.  4.5k run / 15k cycle / 4.5k run.

Need to get serious with the training now.