Options

2008 Edinburgh Marathon

So who is up for running the Edinburgh Marathon this year?

Comments

• Options
    Maybe. Did it earlier in 07 and really enjoyed it. I've entered the online ballot for London next year so if I get in it will be my main marathon. Would maybe do Edinburgh just for the sake of it too though but not race it. If I dont get in to London though then I'll defo be doing Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Yup....I'll be there!!

No sign of the Council running their own one yet....given all the bluster that they had about doing one I'd have thought they'd be well through the planning stages by now!?
  • Options
    Possibly...ive given my e-mail for notification on when entries are open.
  • Options
    Richard (or anyone who's done this one before) - having done this year's Edinburgh, would you say this might be a good marathon for a slow first-timer? I've only done half marathons before, with PB of 2:22 (and on mostly flat/mildly undulating terrain!). Can only guess that my finish time for full distance might be around 5½ hours (with any luck and a ton of training!) - estimation based on friends with similar pace to me who have done full marathon distance. Just wondering what the support/atmosphere and terrain is like for the Edinburgh.

Definitely want to do a full marathon next year (and prepared to put in serious training for it of course). Although have entered FLM ballot, looking for a good backup plan as I know odds are very slim getting a ballot place. Thought Edinburgh sounded like a good possibility. That's ballot entry too though I know but hopefully not quite as difficult to enter as the London! Actually - is it guaranteed entry for Club runners anyway?

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this!
  • Options
    Yes I'm doing it, if you are a past entrant you have automatic entry.
  • Options
    SlowlyButShirley, yes I would say Edinburgh is quite a good course for a first timer. Presuming they stick with the same route as this year then definitely on the basis that it is fairly flat with some small undulations down the coast and the overall course profile is a considerable descent (you can see this on the website.) It being a coastal route part of the way I suppose there can be a wee breeze at times but to be honest I found that nice this year. The support/atmosphere varies throughout the race due to the route the course takes but at most of the built up areas there is good support and particularly over the last 6miles or so through cockenzie, prestonpans etc. For a big chunk of the race it follows a coastal road out to Gosford House in East Lothian so the opportunities for support on that part are a bit limited.

With regards entry, I'm not sure if club runners get guaranteed entry, but last year I entered before I joined a running club and managed to get in through the ballot at the first time of asking.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Echoing comments from others - decent course (I pb'd a sub2.45 with poor training), better organisation than in previous years, patchy support (although very vocal and good support from those that you pass on the return section).

Automatic entry if you are SAF, or AAA affiliated, previous entrant, or can run a GFA equivalent time.

Definitely worth doing. Although VERY VERY pricey. £38 compared to £27 for FLM is not great value for money.
  • Options
    Thanks guys - that's excellent advice. Thanks Richard in particular - very useful description, reassuring to know about the course being manageable and the coastal part sounds really nice. My club's just UKA affiliated so not sure that I'd get guaranteed entry then but sounds like I'd stand much better odds with the ballot than the FLM. Think I'm going to go for the Edinburgh as my backup then!
  • Options
    Have entered the ballot this morning and it says that first 500 entrants get guaranteed entry.  Email confirmation says payment taken and entry status is Approved.  Does this mean I am in?
  • Options
    Hi Goughie - I just tried to enter it and looks successful but when I went via the "Am I in?" link to check, it said 'Approved' but got an error message when I tried to print off confirmation letter (and that apparently contains the race number).  Have you tried checking the "Am I In" link?  Would be interested to know if you have success in printing off your confirmation letter.
  • Options

Goughie - just checked the FAQs on the website:

Q.  I have been 'approved' what does this mean?

A.  A message of 'approved' means that you have been accepted, your entry confirmed and payment made successfully into the marathon. Congratulations!

Looks like you're in then! (and hopefully me too, but I've e-mailed the race organisers as I'm concerned I can't get the confirmation letter!).

• Options

I guess organisers aren't there on a Sunday to correct confirmation letter error.  I get the same approved but can't pull letter, not worried 3rd time I've entered on line and if payment has processed you're in........... 

This will be 10th marathon all going well 'target achieved' as long as I managed Berlin end Sept this year and London April next April.....  Husband thinks I'll stop now ahhhhh bless.......... tee hee 

Where's everyone from last year Come on!

• Options

Thanks Smiffie, that's reassuring.  Also since read an FAQ that said they post out the confirmation letter within 3 weeks of registering - I have the payment processed e-mail so I'm happy just to wait for the confirmation letter to arrive in the post then!

This is likely to be my first marathon (if I don't get into the FLM and the odds are slim for that ... if I do, I'll just have to do both!  A bit of a baptism of fire perhaps!)

Just been reading the comments from this year and it does sound very beginner-friendly.  After initial 'daunted' feeling, am now quite excited about it!

• Options

I just had a go at this a couple of minutes ago and got the "approved" bit when I entered my name/DOB.  Did expect the first 500 places to have gone by now considering how fast the 10,000 online application places went for the FLM.

• Options
    I think the confirmation letter if from this year, you printed it off and took it to the expo with you.  I ave entered status is Approved and I have received a confirmation e-mail.
  • Options

Hi all

i also just entered, and got status Approved  and e-mail,

• Options
    Thanks for the answers.  Have also seen the FAQ part and am convinced I am in.  So Marathon 2 is to be Edinburgh 2008.  Really want to hit the 4:30 I missed at FLM 2007 but have the benefit of 8 months training behind me already and 9 months in front.  Excited already!
  • Options
    Managed to talk a friend from my running club into doing this one too today (it would also be her first marathon) - would be surprised if she'd have made it in time to get guaranteed place though as she'd have tried only a couple of hours ago.  With any luck though she'd still get in through the ballot ... has to be much better odds than the FLM!
  • Options

As RB states, it is a bit pricey, but on the positive note it is no way as overcrowded as FLM, plus i think its a really fast course (pb there in 2007 3.00.35), maybe with a bit of 'tinkering' could be possibly the fastest course in the UK.  I'm already in for FLM 2008 but have chosen to 'jog' around London and save my best for this race instead, see you there guys image

• Options
    yep, I'm in too.. and even though its not be first marathon I've still got that feeling of 'What have I let myself in for!?!?'  see you there...
  • Options

The friend that I talked into doing it is definitely in now too!  Very pleasantly surprised as I thought more than 500 people would have applied by yesterday afternoon!

So relieved I've got someone to train up with and run with on the day.  Takes the edge off the pure fear I've been feeling since Saturday when I applied (yes, that same "what have I done?!" feeling!).  Still daunted but equally excited!  Going to avidly collect every piece of marathoning advice I can get my hands on now!

• Options
    I'm very tempted. I was supposed to be doing it this year but I had to pull out due to injury. No doubt I'll have my entry in very soon.
  • Options
    I'm in too.  Got in through the past entrant route, having completed it this year.  At 23 miles I vowed I'd never even run to the bus stop again far lass do another marathon but here we are again.  Determined to get below 4 hours next year and determined to more prepared.  Hard winter ahead for us all, but the feeling when you cross the line in front of that huge crowd in the grandstand makes it all worthwhile.  Good luck!
  • Options

Thanks Sb400 - you've inspired me!

• Options
    I couldn't resist it! I've been on a bit of race entering spree this afternoon so I will be running Edinburgh next year.
  • Options

Hmm. Considering this one for my marathon debut as well. Entered FLM ballot - but more only to see what happens. Tempted by this through the guaranteed entry scheme for runners of the Great Scottish Run. You can enter using the GSR code until 30th Sept.

I must still be in that post-race euphoria that makes you do stupid things.. 

• Options
    How many months do you think you should be running for before trying the marathon? I only started running in January after a few too many years off! Completed the Great Scottish Run in 2.00.47 but im a bit apprehensive as to when i should aim to try a marathon...im tempted by the guaranteed entry for GSR runners....!image
  • Options
    You're never not ready! don't be phased.  Only an issue if you want to follow a schedule to 'Race' other wise you'll find plenty of company on this thread, its not til May go for it image
  • Options

I'm sure this will be a purely hypothetical issue anyway but in the fairly unlikely event that I get into the FLM via the ballot, I'd still want to do the Edinburgh Marathon too.  Never having done marathon distance before (only halves), are they just too close together time-wise do you think to be feasible for a newbie marathoner?  Or if not, how would a training plan work between the two dates, as you're supposed to have a certain amount of recovery time (don't know how much though) after a marathon?

Originally thought I'd hold off asking this question until December (when I should know for sure whether or not I got in to the FLM) but as I find myself mulling over it anyway, wanted to ask early just in case!  Maybe it will be a case of 'see how the first one goes'!  I may have that "never again" feeling which was mentioned earlier in the thread but I hope not!

• Options

Ah I always have the 'NEVER' thought!

Perfectly fine, but pace yourself for two, don't set a really hard (exhausting?) target for first marathon...........  London is the better one for atmosphere all round the route so if happens go for dream time at Edinburgh image