Options

2008 Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options

Thanks Smiffie, good advice.  I definitely wouldn't be going for a target time (on either of them I reckon!) - just hope to get around safely and survive it (or them both)!  Also want to enjoy it to the full so not intending on pushing myself too much! 

At this moment in time, can't begin to imagine what it's like to run that distance even once!  Probably by the time I've done my first 20-mile training run next year, I'm sure I'll get some sense of it!! 

• Options
    Hi all, I've just entered, sadly not in time for a guarenteed place, so I'm waiting until Jan, I thought having to wait until December for Londons outcome was going to be hard...

If I fail to get a place for London (which is highly likely) this will be my first marathon (if I get a place !!!!)

Wish I'd applied earlier now image
  • Options
    Deedee Doodle - I belong to a running club, very friendly and I only manage to pop down to train with them once or twice a year (2 small children)  BUT because of that get into a lot of races that wouldn't otherwise, like Edinburgh.   Always a good crowd with club vest on if you've gont to race on your tod too!  See if you've a local Athletics Club registered club?
  • Options
    I'm a member of a club (Mornington Chasers), does that help with entry? I think I must have missed that on the application, poo!
    I also have small children (well, oldest is nearly 6), I manage to get out a bit - but the other half (man of steel) trains alot too - so it's the balance isn't it.

I do worry about being the last over the line though!! I guess it'd guarantee me some degree of fame!!image
    Thanks Smiffle!
  • Options

Don't worry about being last over the finish line Deedee - that's more likely to be me! image

In fact, the first thing I do before I enter a race is look at the previous year's results and click on the 'last page' link and check the times there (I know I shouldn't but it's compulsive!). If the last finisher is still quicker than my average for that time, I have to admit it puts me off entering!!  For example, I considered doing the Paris Marathon ... until I read that they have a cut-off of 4½ hours (I can only dream!).  Looks like there's a good mix on the Edinburgh, I'm reassured by last year's finish times and the comments from many of the marathon newbies from last year.

So - actually you might get a ballot place on both the FLM and Edinburgh!  Would you do both still if you got them?

Looking forward to the Great South Run?!  (Knew I recognise you from that thread!).  I can't wait ... compared to a marathon a 10-miler seems pretty manageable now! (it's all relative!).

• Options
    Hi SlowlyButShirley,

I would do them both - as mad as it seems, I'm not out to set any race records (except maybe as the slowest competitor!), so I think a slow plod over them both would be do-able (might change my mind after London though).

I am really looking forward to the GSR, I might have to bow out of another run I have 2 weeks before if I'm not injury free (I'm supposed to be running the cabbage patch 10 on 14th), but I might drop that so I can do the GSR (with my Michael Flattley feet!).

I was put off Paris by the cut-off, I'm not confident about a 4 1/2 hour marathon, the last finishing times for Edinburgh were reassuring though image

Hope to see you at GSR - although it's likely we wont as it's so huge , failing that London or Edinburgh image

• Options

I know where you're coming from ... someone suggested that if I did actually get into the FLM, I might be able to defer it to the following year to just focus on Edinburgh (which sounds pretty sensible really!) but I actually wouldn't want to!  I'd want to try and do both next year if I was lucky enough to get in anyway!  Like you I'm not aiming for times on either ... just the exerience of completing them would feel amazing enough.

The Cabbage Patch is 10 miles isn't it?  Hats off to you Deedee, I couldn't do a 10 mile race just 2 weeks before the GSR!  If you do end up doing it, take it really steady and take care; leave enough reserves in the tank for the 28th!   I've got a 10k (Althorp) planned on 14th October - got talked into that (I'm so easily talked into races!  Probably how I ended with a "Race Addict 2007" award at our running club AGM this week!image).  I'm most definitely taking the hills on it easy - don't want to twist my ankle or anything before the GSR!

Well - may well see you at one of those 3 biggies then:  GSR, FLM or Edinburgh!

• Options
    I will take it easy - hopefully I will have had a chance to actually get the full 10 miles under my belt whilst training - used to have no problems with long slow runs each week, but hey ho!

Well done on the award!!!image

Pop back onto the GSR thread before the big day to let us know how you're getting on - it'll be great to hear from a fellow 'just doing it for the experience' runner!

Hope to see you at both FLM and Edinburgh image
  • Options

Deedee Doodle - If UK Athletics then yes you get guaranteed entry or did last year, I got guaranteed entry cause ran last year, but clubs how I got in last year........

I've run both London & Edinburgh the past two years, long enough to recover and less than 10 minutes difference on times..........  but I probably should mention I'm slightly mad image tee hee

• Options

Thats me in and approved!

Via the GSR route that I clocked on this thread - thanks, I hadn't noticed it on the GSR site.

This will be my first full marathon, tho I have now done 7 halfs with 3 to go before the end of October.

A bit like some of you I don't know if I am excited or terrified at the prospect, My longest run ever is 16 miles and I have only run longer that half mara distance on 3 occasions.

Time will tell.......image

I look forward to sharing the experience with you all over the coming months.

• Options
    Smiffle, yep you probably are slightly mad, but would you chose to be any other way...I wouldn't, it's half the fun image
  • Options

Quite a lot of us marathon newbies doing Edinburgh next year then!  Good stuff!

Good to know how do-able both marathons are in the same year as I wasn't sure whether they'd be too close together for enough recovery (in reality, I would probably need 10 years between marathons though!  So maybe it's down to the individual in the end).

Must catch up with the GSR thread ...  I sort of lost track of it as you guys were so busy adding comments (don't you guys do any work?! image) , had too many pages to read!!!  Glad it's become a more active thread now though!  I just now read back a few pages and spotted the references to Edinburgh though, so that's a coincidence.

Well - better get back to my work now, haha (hometime soon, yeah!)

• Options
    Nope, I really don't do any work! image
  • Options
    I know I must sound like a total moron, but I'll ask anyway...
    How do you know if your club is a member of UK:A?
  • Options
    ohhh now thats a question............... I don't know, I've got a membership number MCAA reg number on.......... sorry not a lot of help
  • Options

Not a silly question at all Deedee ... I only knew because my club leader gave me a welcome letter when I joined last year, which said what the club is affiliated to and discount benefits, etc.

You can check on the UK Athletics site: http://www.ukathletics.net/clubs/club-members/ - at the bottom of the clubs page you can search for your club by keyword or click the initial letter.  Did you say it was Mornington Chasers?  If so, it looks to be UKA affiliated.

• Options
    No worries, I've got a club membership card but that's it... and that took 4 months to come (well, it took 4 months to make image

I'll email and see what turns up! (if anything!)
  • Options
    Ah SlowlyButShirley - you're a diamond! Ha when I joined my club I got nothing!! it's taken Maurice (the lovely guy that runs it- he really is lovely) 10 months to remember my name - I've been Wendy for months now!! - mind you , it is a big club!

Thanks!!
  • Options
    Yippee, we're official!! Thanks again SlowlyButShirley!!
    Now, one more theing, there's a 'Mile High A.C? Sorry image
  • Options

We're only a little diddy club of 'fun runners' so must be a bit easier for our club coach!  She is really good and although there are bigger more serious clubs in Milton Keynes, I'd never go elsewhere - it's such a friendly bunch of like-minded people and I'm getting exactly what I want out of it and more, so I'm really happy with it.  I'm definitely more of a 'social' runner than a 'warrior' runner (or whatever the other Runners World categories were!).

So ... Wendy(!) ... worth you checking now whether being a club member also entitles you to any discounts from local shops, etc!  You never know!

• Options

ohhhh yes 10% off, but still dearer than internet, sorry I'm such a scrooge!

• Options

FLM form off in the post this morning!

From zero to 2 potential full marathon entries in 24 hours - am I getting a bit carried away here? image

4.5 slow miles last night, first run since GNR, legs still work - good sign!

Have a good day folks.

• Options
    SFC, will hopefully be seeing you and SlowlyButShirley at both then... couldn't resist the temptation then....? image
  • Options
    Woohoo! just re-entered as a club member and am approved!!! Edinburgh here I come.. now just need to fix my feet! image
  • Options

Great stuff Deedee!  image See - definitely some advantages to being a club member! (although Are We Nearly There Yet's quite right ... membership discounts in shops can't beat online prices most of the time!  Hardly used my card for that reason).

Relief to know there are lots of other mad people around like me who'll chance doing 2 marathons in 6 weeks as a first-time marathon experience!!  image 

At least we all know we're in the Edinburgh for definite!  Hard enough having to wait until December for FLM ballot news!

• Options
    Exactly, I think the group of us mad enough to attempt 2 marathons in 6 weeks might be ever growing. I'm really excited. How will I make it to December?

I've just been looking at hotels or the Edinburgh trip - crikey - some are full already - although it is a bank holiday weekend... Might be worth speaking to some relatives up there! image

Hopefully our GSR training will take us part way to being marathon ready, glad Silverstone half doesn't open for applications until Dec!
  • Options

Some Edinburgh hotels already full??  Blimey!  I thought I'd just leave the booking until next month when we're up in Edinburgh anyway - and thought that would be early enough!!  We stayed at a lovely 4* guest house not too far from Princes Street in May for the Great Edinburgh run, maybe will try and book that one again then!

You are soooo organised Deedee, haven't even thought about targeting particular races yet but you're right - the really popular training races for the FLM will get booked up very quickly, so need to be on the ball! 

I really fancy doing the Brass Monkey H/M early next year and keep checking out the website for that as I know it gets full within the first few days.  It's probably not the right timing for an April/May marathon plan but it's near my family and I love any excuse to go back up to York anyway - great city!

• Options
    OOOh, like the sound of the guest house near Princes St - I spent sop much of my childhood in Princes St gardens - very fond memories!!

I only know about Silverstone because I did it in March!! (it's slightly tedious as a course but it was my first half!)
  • Options

My geography, like my memory, is terrible!  Can't remember where exactly the guest house was except that it was about 10 mins walk from Princes Street I think.  Also can't remember it's name except it starts with a C and sounds typically Scottish!  Must ask my better half - he's got a much better memory thankfully!

We were really taken with Edinburgh and we were also lucky with the weather at the time - was mostly sunny (actually though during the run itself we did have all types of weather apart from snow!).  Funny how you get warned about the weather in Scotland but each time I've been up there it's been better than in England - and often warmer than expected!  I hope it's cool during the marathon though .... I'm quite happy it's largely on the coast, I don't do hot temperatures during runs all that well!  Hopefully there will be a cooling wind as it sounds like there was this year.