Options

2008 Edinburgh Marathon

Comments

• Options
    And good luck with the GNR too Leslie (hope I get into next year's ballot, would love to do that one) and have a brilliant time at it!
  • Options
    Ah Leslie, don't worry, there are plenty of us here who are doing Edinburgh with the possibility that we might also end up doing London too (for me personally I'll happily have a bash at both - probably not sensible) but I get the impression there'll be lots of company for one or both!!
    Good luck for the GNR - I also hope to get in next year!! (if I survive Edinburgh)
  • Options
    My logic is if you've put all the training for one, why not rest between, then knock out a second on the back of it all image
  • Options
    I think if I was lucky enough to get into both I would maybe defer my London place to the following year.
  • Options
    Nah you wouldn't, you'd run both like the madness everyone else suffers!!image C'mon, how impressive would that be? ' Oh yeah, I ran 2 marathons in 6 weeks, yeah, like cool...' Sorry, off to get my medication now image
  • Options
    Deedee, you're probably right!
  • Options
    SSh, don't tell my husband that though!! image
  • Options

LOL I know I'm running London as well, sent my good for age app off yesterday number 29083, so guess it will be two marathons.

Be careful, easy to become Marathon weirdo.  Ran first one at London 5 years ago, crossed the line saying that was SO FAR FROM FUN, I'm NEVER doing again...... hmmmmm

Husband plays tapes to me in my sleep "Stop entering Marathons" image

• Options
    'marathon weirdo' is that a technical term? image
  • Options

... getting way too carried away here image but just supposing I survive the the Edinburgh(!) and even enjoy it(!), one day I'd like to do New York - that would be on my 'must-do' marathon list.  Any of you "marathon wierdo's" (to use AWNYTs expression) done that one before?!  And if so, would you recommend it? 

(Maybe I should just see if I survive my first marathon before I start asking questions about any others though ... !image)

• Options
    just for the record ... I hope to become a fully fledged "marathon wierdo" too!!  image
  • Options

Me too! Been dreaming about running marathons since I was little, but never even took up running until I was well into my 20s.

New York would be on my list too, should I ever survive my first image I've got friends over there, and they say the NY marathon is a great experience. Would like to do London too, but it seems so hard to get into...

• Options

Did you say you'd entered the London ballot for 2008 Kate?  You never know - you may end up doing that one first!

I have heard some good things about NY marathon but also heard a couple of less savoury things as well!  Heard about the 'yellow rain' (ugh!) falling onto the lower level of the bridge (forgot which bridge though - note to self ... must make an effort to find out if I end up doing the NY!) - runners on the lower level having to be careful not to get covered!

Oddly enough - never really thought I'd ever want to do a marathon.  Even as recently as a year ago, I was just happy to run a max of Half marathon distance.  Something just clicked in me this year and now it's become a fixed "just have to do it"!  When anyone around me mentions the word 'marathon' now, I'm all ears!!

• Options

Heh, must be that marathon mania we've been hearing about image

No, I didn't enter London - in fact, I'm a bit surprised at myself for entering Edinburgh...I think it's because it's just on the doorstep, seemed a bit silly not to try it.

TBH though, I'm just glad to be running at all. Was laid off work for almost a year with plantar fasciitis, and thought I'd never run again, so I'm a bit worried about overdoing it. Still, all good at the moment (fingers crossed), but I suppose I should take it easy - one marathon a year at the most image

Yeah, I'd heard a few bad things about NY, but I still think the atmosphere would be worth the risk of the occasional bad bit. 

• Options

Uh oh - what were the other bad things?  image  Only knew about the yellow rain! 

I agree though, it's like the London - big city marathon with big atmosphere, so definitely top of my hit list if I'm up to doing more than one marathon in my lifetime!

One marathon a year sounds like a very sensible plan.  I think the thing that went 'click' this year re wanting to do marathons was the 'sense' part of my brain going kaput - made me post a ballot off for FLM and enter Edinburgh!  If I'm lucky enough to get into the FLM then I am going to attempt both in the same year I know it (yep - the 'sense' part of my brain = definitely frazzled!).  Fine for seasoned marathoners like AWNTY but for a marathon newbie like me ... different story I think!

• Options

... although ... I do recall Hellen saying that she did these 2 marathons (FLM and Edinburgh) as her first, in the same year.  So, there is hope!  Maybe I will survive both!

Power of positive thinking!  image

• Options

Hi All

Just found this thread.  I got an email saying entries were open and the first 500 were in without going through the balot. So I replied thinking I would have no chance.  Shock horror I got a reply in a minute saying I was in.  The day before that I sent off my entry for FLM, if I got in I would be doing 2 marathons in 2 weeks eek.

I've never run a marathon but have done a few great norths so I will need lots of advice and support from you guys.

• Options
    Just read back, looks like I'm not alone in possible FLM as well, or in being a novice seems I'm in the right place
  • Options

Hi, Fester. I'm finding it good to be in the company of newbies too - seems much less scary that way. And with all of these seasoned folk around whose brains we can pick...perfect!  image

SBS - apparently can be quite cold and a little smoggy (so I've heard), but I don't think I'd be put off by that. I know what you mean about the kaput sense bit, I don't know where mine's gone - perhaps it's some sort of self-defense mechanism? Frankly, if we really stopped to think about training for a marathon over the cold, dark winter, we'd probably quit. So bring on the insanity, at least we can all be mad together image

• Options

Hi Fester - looks Edinburgh 2008 is going to be a brilliant first marathon choice - seems like there's loads of us in the same boat!

I think this thread is going to be an absolute lifeline for us newbies as 25th May inches closer!  image

• Options
    You mean, it's coming closer? aaargh, better start training...image
  • Options

Don't know about you Kate but I find it easier to run in colder weather than conditions which are too hot though.  It ain't going to be easy dragging the old reluctant body outdoors in the dark possibly freezing cold winter (driving rain, wind, sleet, etc), I know it!  'Specially if hubby's got his feet up in cosy indoors watching something good on telly!  Can already hear him saying "have fun!" while thinking he's glad he's not me!!

... and I haven't even started my training for it yet!!!  Guess it's cos I've seen friends go through that who trained up for the FLM (who also like to keep reminding me what it's like!), so I already know what's to come!

... But hey ... will be soooo worth it in the end!!  image

• Options

Heyyy - DD!  Was concerned you'd hung up your RW forum shoes permanently!

No self-exile allowed on this thread, okay?!  image

• Options

I'm a winter person too, but it's so hard to motivate myself when it's freezing outside. Last year, my friend bought me gloves and a hat to run in to stop me moaning, but that just took away a good excuse not to run... image

• Options

Oh I've got loads you can borrow Kate:

"I think I've got a chest cold coming on" (head cold doesn't absolve you apparently)

"It's too icy now ... might slip and fall and break something ... "

"It's raining so hard that I can't see where I'm going anyway ... " (fog also works in place of raining by the way, just to vary the excuse a bit!)

- there's just a couple of freebies for you!  I'm sure I can come up with better ones though ... image

• Options
    I like the raining one - I can use that year-round in Scotland!
  • Options

DD - just realised what my last comment might have read like!  Meant you're not allowed to self-exile on this thread (in other words - please don't disappear from it!).

(Perhaps I should just self-exile now!image)

• Options
    Thanks for the welcome.  I find it more easy to run when its cold. Crisp cold and sunny. 
  • Options
    I'd really like to do New York as well. On a couple of occasions i've nearly applied for a gold bond place for a charity for the FLM. Most of them require you raise at least £1500. However, there are some charities which, if you raise £2000 will pay for your flights accommodation and race entry for New York. I'd much rather try to raise £2000 and do New York!
  • Options
    Love running in the cold, wetter the better too, I can't bear the summer for training...yep, I am a little odd that way.
    SBS - had to leave the GSR thread today, it was just getting a bit too grown up!! image